• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

magiustra said:
They tried to modernize the game, but the new graphic style have nothing of the original "cuteness" and the gameplay is quite broken. Running over the rainbow just feel wrong, if you know what I mean.
In what way do you feel the gameplay is "broken"? Maybe it's been too long since I played the original but it feels like classic Rainbow Islands to me. The main difference I've noticed is that it's much easier to create huge chains because you can press down to destroy the rainbow that you're standing on instead of having to jump into it (at least I don't think that was in the original, correct me if I'm wrong.) This makes it a lot easier to collect all the items and powerups scattered around the level, but the game still throws plenty of enemies at you to make sure it doesn't get too easy.

I also like the way the game is set up now with the time limits, they did a good job of balancing the amount of time lost when taking damage vs the amount of time recovered from item drops, and the boss fights have been pretty intense. My only complaint is that the game seems too short, but the time attack and no continue modes should give it plenty of replay value.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
How is the emulation for Space Harrier? That is, do you get something closer to Namco's options or Tecmo's options?

DavidDayton said:
How is the emulation for Space Harrier? That is, do you get something closer to Namco's options or Tecmo's options?
You can configure difficulty, number of lives per credit, rapid-fire speed, controls, and a couple of obscure items. No 16:9 settings. One of the control options is to use the nunchuk as a flight stick via tilt controls, which is something I had thought would be cool when imagining Space Harrier on virtual console three years ago.

Also, graphically the emulation is just as good as the Genesis emulation. Sonically it seems fine as well.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
leroy hacker said:
You can configure difficulty, number of lives per credit, rapid-fire speed, controls, and a couple of obscure items. No 16:9 settings. One of the control options is to use the nunchuk as a flight stick via tilt controls, which is something I had thought would be cool when imagining Space Harrier on virtual console three years ago.

Also, graphically the emulation is just as good as the Genesis emulation. Sonically it seems fine as well.

Too bad it's 800 points. I'd rather have cheaper prices for arcade titles... I may have to eventually download this.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
leroy hacker said:
One of the control options is to use the nunchuk as a flight stick via tilt controls, which is something I had thought would be cool when imagining Space Harrier on virtual console three years ago.
That's pretty cool.
Also, graphically the emulation is just as good as the Genesis emulation.
Uh, that's not exactly high praise. The arcade version should spank the Genny one.

Davey Cakes

The Samurai Toaster game is pretty much what I'd expect out of a sidescrolling button-mashing shoot-em-up. Not bad for 800 points.

I downloaded the game without checking reviews. The big question is, will I regret that? I did regret it for Pop and Gaplus, though Eduardo is definitely more fun than those. It's just, soon after buying the game and playing it, I checked IGN's review and they gave the game a 5.7.

It makes me feel bad, but honestly, had I not checked the review, I would've felt fine about the purchase. I went in blind and didn't get a horrible game out of it.

Shig said:
That's pretty cool.

Uh, that's not exactly high praise. The arcade version should spank the Genny one.

You misunderstand me. I wasn't comparing this game to Space Harrier 2. I was comparing the visual fidelity of the Space Harrier emulation to the excellent visual fidelity of VC Genesis emulation. In other words, the highest possible praise.

Scrubking

Rash said:
The Samurai Toaster game is pretty much what I'd expect out of a sidescrolling button-mashing shoot-em-up. Not bad for 800 points.

I downloaded the game without checking reviews. The big question is, will I regret that? I did regret it for Pop and Gaplus, though Eduardo is definitely more fun than those. It's just, soon after buying the game and playing it, I checked IGN's review and they gave the game a 5.7.

It makes me feel bad, but honestly, had I not checked the review, I would've felt fine about the purchase. I went in blind and didn't get a horrible game out of it.

So you liked the game, but since some website didn't like it now you don't like it?

JadedOne

Eduardo is an alright game. I love the different art styles used throughout the levels but at the end of the day....I'd have to give the game a...blah. Yes. I feel indifferent about my purchase....it's not a bad game and it's not a good one. Its just...there. Completely average. IMO of course.

Davey Cakes

Scrubking said:
So you liked the game, but since some website didn't like it now you don't like it?
No, I just hate how it almost seems like these websites are designed to make me feel bad about playing games I enjoy.

It's a reason why I've been off the review bandwagon for a long time now.

Scrubking

Rash said:
No, I just hate how it almost seems like these websites are designed to make me feel bad about playing games I enjoy.

It's a reason why I've been off the review bandwagon for a long time now.

Well I just skimmed over the IGN review and all I could do was shake my head and laugh. His entire argument is that the game is generic so it sucks. Of course to say that you have to either be blind or lying since there is nothing generic about a samurai toaster fighting pastries. He also says the game is shallow, but I wasn't aware this genre offered much more than running and shooting stuff.

Reading "pro" reviews these days is a waste of time that usually just lowers your IQ. The only reason I look at them now is to laugh at all the stupid nonsense they say.

Capndrake

OFLC update:
-5Spots Party (46 to Shinjuku Medialab, WiiWare)
-A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training Sudoku (Nintendo, DSiWare)
-A Little Bit of... Puzzle League (Nintendo, DSiWare)
-Art Style: BOXLIFE (Nintendo, DSiWare - Listed as WiiWare, but it's no doubt supposed to be Hacolife)
-Bonsai Barber (Nintendo, WiiWare)
-Family Mini Golf (Aksys Games, WiiWare)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord (Square Enix, WiiWare)
-Guitar Rock Tour (Gameloft, DSiWare)
-Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (Nintendo, DSiWare)
-Military Madness (Hudson Soft, WiiWare)
-Mr. Driller (Namco, WiiWare)
-Pop+ Solo (Nnooo, DSiWare)
-Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy - Rush (The Game Factory, WiiWare)
-SimEarth (Hudson Soft, TGCD)
-Solitaire (Cosmico, WiiWare)
-Texas Hold'em Poker (Gameloft, WiiWare)
-The Three Musketeers: One For All! (Legendo Entertainment, WiiWare)
-UNO (Gameloft, DSiWare or WiiWare, since it's coming to both)
-We Rock: Drum King (505 Games, WiiWare)

PEGI update (All WiiWare):
-Bit.Trip: Core (Aksys Games)
-Magnetis (Yullaby)
-We Rock: Guitar King (505 Games)

Also, Icarian: Kindred Spirits for Europe this Friday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JadedOne said:
Eduardo is an alright game. I love the different art styles used throughout the levels but at the end of the day....I'd have to give the game a...blah. Yes. I feel indifferent about my purchase....it's not a bad game and it's not a good one. Its just...there. Completely average. IMO of course.

I disliked it.

The art is gorgeous, particularly in the back half of the game. The sound is great. The main menu / hub world is awesome. I liked the dynamic camera system.

... but it's not a good game. The level design is basically a flat 2d corridor until after the 2nd side-scrolling shmup level. Level 13 is about ten times longer than any other level. Other than the lava section, there's no point in the game that platforming really matters. The rideable
Segway
(I can't believe I spoilertagged that) is neat, but it just serves to show how useless the first 2/3rds of the game is. Where are the neat tricks in the first 2/3rds of the game? Instead I spent 1+ hour walking left to right and jamming on the fire button.

The lack of enemy variety is annoying--especially in level 13, where the "boss" segments just consist of the dozens of copies of the same "bosses" you fought before. The ending is stupid abrupt.

The game is very short (1.5-2 hours); sure, it's intended to be replayable but very few of the stages are at all interesting so I can't see myself replaying anything but 9-13. I played through on easy and then replayed a few stages on medium.

I don't feel as though there's much in the way of strategy or skill involved in the game. It's just a war of attrition between you and gazillions of enemies and typically the "boss" sections in particular get annoying. For example, in a few of the 2 or 3 tier boss sections, I'd kill the bosses, stand on the top platform, and then have to fire spread ammo downwards for 15-20 seconds to wipe out the random tiny enemies on the bottom platforms... or jump down and melee them. That's not skill, it's drudgery.

Edit: I don't necessarily agree with IGN's beef on the lack of story. It is a little stupid that you're a toaster killing vegetables and blobs and when you've killed enough the game says "THE END"--this isn't a NES-level one-line story, there's no story at all. But I don't think that should necessarily count against the game.

If IGN's 5.7 is meant to be relative to the rest of WiiWare's action library, it's too low. The game would be a 7 to me on that metric. But if it's meant to assess value in a vacuum or compare to the kind of stuff available on other platforms, a 5.7 is pretty much spot on. This is probably the biggest digital distribution letdown for me this generation.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stumpokapow said:
I disliked it.

The art is gorgeous, particularly in the back half of the game. The sound is great. The main menu / hub world is awesome. I liked the dynamic camera system.

... but it's not a good game. The level design is basically a flat 2d corridor until after the 2nd side-scrolling shmup level. Level 13 is about ten times longer than any other level. Other than the lava section, there's no point in the game that platforming really matters. The rideable
Segway
(I can't believe I spoilertagged that) is neat, but it just serves to show how useless the first 2/3rds of the game is. Where are the neat tricks in the first 2/3rds of the game? Instead I spent 1+ hour walking left to right and jamming on the fire button.

The lack of enemy variety is annoying--especially in level 13, where the "boss" segments just consist of the dozens of copies of the same "bosses" you fought before. The ending is stupid abrupt.

The game is very short (1.5-2 hours); sure, it's intended to be replayable but very few of the stages are at all interesting so I can't see myself replaying anything but 9-13. I played through on easy and then replayed a few stages on medium.

I don't feel as though there's much in the way of strategy or skill involved in the game. It's just a war of attrition between you and gazillions of enemies and typically the "boss" sections in particular get annoying. For example, in a few of the 2 or 3 tier boss sections, I'd kill the bosses, stand on the top platform, and then have to fire spread ammo downwards for 15-20 seconds to wipe out the random tiny enemies on the bottom platforms... or jump down and melee them. That's not skill, it's drudgery.

Edit: I don't necessarily agree with IGN's beef on the lack of story. It is a little stupid that you're a toaster killing vegetables and blobs and when you've killed enough the game says "THE END"--this isn't a NES-level one-line story, there's no story at all. But I don't think that should necessarily count against the game.

If IGN's 5.7 is meant to be relative to the rest of WiiWare's action library, it's too low. The game would be a 7 to me on that metric. But if it's meant to assess value in a vacuum or compare to the kind of stuff available on other platforms, a 5.7 is pretty much spot on. This is probably the biggest digital distribution letdown for me this generation.
But Scrubking said it was SO AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for the real impressions.

---

Oooh, and I'm glad Hacolife is coming over!

magiustra

nincompoop said:
In what way do you feel the gameplay is "broken"? Maybe it's been too long since I played the original but it feels like classic Rainbow Islands to me.

I understand your points :)

My concerns are tied to the control system (running and jumpin over the rainbow just feel wrong to me, at least in comparison to the Amiga version that I played a lot back in the days), to the graphic style (that it's not cute like the original one) and to the level design (big levels Vs short stage, if you know what I mean).

I played the new WiiWare Bubble Bobble and I (quite) enjoyed it: not perfect a game, but I can have some fun with it 'cause its gameplay/level design/graphic style is quite similar to the original. I find Rainbow Island WiiWare strange and odd, but maybe its just my problem :/

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :/

JadedOne

Stumpokapow said:
I disliked it.

Segway

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth. I agree with you 100%. I was and am very letdown by this game.

Davey Cakes

Well having played more of Samurai Toaster, I still think that it's not a bad game. Definitely a bit of fun if you appreciate these kinds of gameplay experiences. And, really, I can't imagine not enjoying it in four-player co-op if you just want to kill some time.

But honestly, it's proof enough that I need to stop buying downloadable games on a whim. I'm not really a fan of beat-em-ups, shoot-em-ups, and arcade style games like this. That's one of the reasons I didn't bother with Castle Crashers.

I figured it was a game about a fucking Samurai Toaster, so why not be a little spontaneous? But, now I know that even the Nintendo Channel video would've been enough to turn me off from the game, never mind reviews or impressions.

I think I may go and buy Super Metroid in order to make myself feel better. :lol

That Samurai Toaster game always looked like a glorified flash game to me, glad I didn't pick it up.

The last two bosses in Rainbow Island are giving me the shits, my speed/range/rate meters always seem to run out against the level 7 boss before I can defeat him, which makes him almost impossible to hit and leaves me pretty vulnerable to his homing bullets and those asshole rocket ships flying in midair. On the few times I managed to beat him I wasn't able to get enough time back to give myself a realistic chance against the final boss.

wsippel

Banned
I guess I'm blind or something, but I haven't seen it yet. It seems the next Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon games are for WiiWare. Three editions, to be revealed later this week. This scan supposedly confirms it:

ab4k5s.jpg

This is from an ad/ flyer by the way, so it should be OK to post it I guess?

I grew up with the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of Space Harrier (called Space Harrier II, for whatever reason).

I've only played the arcade version a handful of times, if that.

What are the differences, if any?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but with the current Pepsi/Rockband promotion, you can win a downloadable track for your selected version of Rockband. Now, if you select to have the track disbursed to your Wii, they'll make you pick a random track, but the code they send you is good for 200 Nintendo points. You can enter it at the Wii shop channel or the DSi shop channel and use the additional funds to download anything you like.

Just wanted to give the heads up to everyone.

DaBargainHunta said:
I grew up with the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of Space Harrier (called Space Harrier II, for whatever reason).

I've only played the arcade version a handful of times, if that.

What are the differences, if any?

Well Space Harrier II is more or less a sequel to Space Harrier in the arcades. While the concept and gameplay are near-exact SH2 features entirely new bosses, enemies, and a few slight gameplay alterations(like enemies attacking from the sides and rear).

On the flipside however part 2 is quite choppy and seems to run at less than half the framerate of part 1(and well just plain looks worse in general). It's still playable as I picked it up on a whim about a week ago and played through it with little trouble. It's a fine game in its own right but nowhere near the original.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
wackojackosnose said:
Brain Training Maths Edition is out for the DSi @ 800 points in PAL LAND.

So was this supposed to be any good?
If you like Brain Training, then yes.
Plus it has neat picture and voice features.

Hmm, well I've only played the BT demo from the Wii Channel and as fun as that was I don't think it'll hold my attention long enough to be worth 800 points. And come on Nintendo, there are genres other than PUZZLE you know!

Netto-kun

Capndrake said:
Today's PAL Wii Shop update is as announced - Icarian and Let's Catch. No VC again...
Looking at the pattern, it seems like WiiWare games are weekly, while VC games are still biweekly. Oh well, I'll check out Icarian later on. Both games are 1000 Nintendo Points, by the way.

Ive played about 30 minutes of Icarian and it like what ive experienced.

Its a very floaty 2.5d Mario type platformer, mixed with some Half Life 2 gravity gun type puzzles.

It doesn't seem too difficult, though i died once by accidentally dropping a small stone block on my character.

antispin

Old news?

Do we know much about Pop-up Pursuit? Saw a mention in the OP but FYI, there is a video on the Ninendo Channel and it looks great! It's a turn-based, side-scrolling card game in which you move and interact by using cards on players. Got a great pop-up book artstyle as well. Plays like a boardgame

Found the video.

Deku

Banned
I just downloaded Swords and Soldier's last night.

It's a fun game, if a bit simple. I assume that's what they went for. And heck out the credits, it's hilarious who they thank.

OuterWorldVoice said:
What's the must-have Dsi Ware game? I has free credits.

Came in to ask the same thing. Also accepting advice on WiiWare games. It's completely unfathomable to me that none of the major review sites (or metacritic/gamerankings) allow you to look at a list of just DSiWare or WiiWare.

I know the VC games well enough I can pick for myself (OgreBattle was released when I wasn't looking, will be buying it as I'm back in town).

I'll probably buy Cave Story when it's out, even if I beat it on PC already.

What else is worth a look, or what is coming soon that I should save some points for?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I got paper plane and Mini Mario Lemmings thingy. The latter is nifty. haven't tried the former.

And Platy is right. I googled erm, binged it, and the first result was a broken warez site and the second one was a locked Gamespot thread which was locked by a mod before anyone got any answers.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I got paper plane and Mini Mario Lemmings thingy. The latter is nifty. haven't tried the former.

And Platy is right. I googled erm, binged it, and the first result was a broken warez site and the second one was a locked Gamespot thread which was locked by a mod before anyone got any answers.

I have the cart for the Mario/DK Lemmings thing and wasn't super into it.

I'm just shocked that even using the advanced searches on these websites... I'll choose something like list reviews by score, and only show games for DS, and there's no way to separate carts from DSiWare? Really? Same with XBLA/360. Wii/WiiWare. PS3/PSN. Are we really the only people that would like this service? Don't most people see the download services almost as a subplatform, or is that just me? Do their databases not have a flag for the game being a download title?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
http://vc-pce.com/usa/e/index.html

Cool I guess. Shame it ain't Rondo of Blood though.

It's sad that going through this site (is that actually part of Nintendo's site?) and then looking up reviews of promising by hand might be the easiest way (aside from GAF-advice) of separating the good from the bad.

Here's the WiiWare section:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/guide#qplay=wiiware&panel=qplay

and here's the DSiWare section:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/guide#qplay=dsiware&panel=qplay

Somnid

Next week Japan is getting for DSiWare:

Chuugaku Kihon Eitango Puzzle (Basic Middle School English Vocabulary Puzzle) (IE Institute, 200 points)

Otegaru Puzzle Series: Chiria no Doubutsu Koya (Chiria's Animal Pen) (Arc System Works, 500 points)

Real Soccer 2009 (Gameloft, 800 points)

Rhythm Kitaeru: Atarashii Eigo Tsuke: Native Kaiwa-hen (Rythm Training: New English Immersion - Native Conversation) (Nintendo, 800 points)

And last:

Dragon Quest Wars (Square-Enix, 500 points) This is just listed as June with no specific date.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OuterWorldVoice said:
What's the must-have Dsi Ware game? I has free credits.

The current top choices would be:
Mighty Flip Champs (800, puzzle)
Art Style: Aquia (500, puzzle)
Art Style: Pictobits (500, puzzle)

Some people might recommend Bird and Bean (200), Paper Airplane Chase (200), or Dr. Mario (500).

Jazzem

Are Aquia and Pictobits generally seen as the best DSi Art Style games then? I'm probably going to pick two 500 points games up plus Paper Plane (with a handy 200 stars>points conversion), and might get those if recommended.

Top Bottom