• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Father_Brain said:
The developer has a poor track record, and I have to say that most of the "stages" look cheap and ugly - in a poorly-made, half-assed way, not in an appealing retro way.
Don't forget that they mention 128-bit while the wii is 64-bit, and there is no "4-bit console" iirc. Get your facts straight developers!

And yeah it looks ugly as hell.

modeps

Neo Member
Wow, I'm SO glad I didn't fork over the money for a DSi... Mario Clock and Calculator? I can only imagine the hours of entertainment that await!

Guess I'll still keep my brick DS.

Carlisle

modeps said:
Wow, I'm SO glad I didn't fork over the money for a DSi... Mario Clock and Calculator? I can only imagine the hours of entertainment that await!

Those aren't the only DSiWare games up, ya know.

Mario vs DK and Flip Champs are fantastic.

3 Wiiware games in one week?!?!?! Now why can't they do this for Virtual Console too? Considering the pool of possible VC releases is, oh, about 10000x larger than it is for Wiiware.

I'm kind of disappointed Rainbow Islands Tower doesn't get a US discount like Bubble Bobble did, but I'm still buying it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chronos Twins DX

Press Release PROVIDED BY GAMES PRESS

EnjoyUp announces Chronos Twins DX, the first project entirely produced and published by EnjoyUp Games. This innovative adventure develops on WiiWare.

Chronos Twins DX offers an amazing space-time travel on which our tireless character Nec will find adventure, action, platforms and ingenious time puzzles. Do you dare to control Nec on two parallel times at the same time?. Coming soon on WiiWare.

Provided by Games Press Games Press is the leading online resource for games journalists. Used daily by magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, online media and retailers worldwide, it offers a vast, constantly updated archive of press releases and assets, and is the simplest and most cost-effective way for PR professionals to reach the widest possible audience. Registration for the site and the Games Press email digest is available, to the trade only, at www.gamespress.com.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
modeps said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night, man.

modeps said:

Because those are the only applications on the system.

Gotcha

Carlisle said:

DSiware has been BALLER IMO.

Between Aquia, PICTOBITS~, Pyoro (most deceptively great game in a while for me), Mario vs. DK and Flip Champs, I've been loving the hell out of it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just got my Wii last Friday and I was wondering about the status of Cave Story. I think I read somewhere it was due for a June release. Is that correct?

magiustra

Conrad Link said:
Guess it was too much to expect Smash Bros after all this time. :(

*sigh*

Will be getting Rainbow Islands still though.

I'm a great fan of the original one, but the WiiWare sequel is really awful :/

What didn't you like about it? It looks pretty good to me, seems like they made some changes to the formula that some people don't agree with but I'm still willing to give it a shot.

pvpness

Count Dookkake said:
From that description, it sounds like Mario Clock has some gameplay. I must be reading that wrong.
That's what I was thinking. Collect coins? Huh? Is that in a 'I'm having fun pretending!' sense or what?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
pvpness said:
That's what I was thinking. Collect coins? Huh? Is that in a 'I'm having fun pretending!' sense or what?

either that or "pretending to have fun"...

Ranger X

Jeez can't NOA at least make sense!?

They would tell us they need to spread VC releases so it doesn't run out during the VC's lifetime so why the hell this logic isn't applied to Wiiware?

Fact is there's less Wiiware games that they know of than the number of VC games they can upload. Now we are starting to get at least 2 Wiiware each update since a couple of weeks. WTF?

Can't you fucking fucking upload a steady 2 VC games? I can't understand how it would be too much to ask.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
pvpness said:
It's a silly game you'd tire of in 30 seconds apparently.
Easter egg sort of thing.

Jumbo week for Wiiware but VC only gets one game?

That doesn't make sense, surely NOA should have more VC games ready to go than Wii Ware?

Oh well, its a pretty decent week all around though so its not too bad.

Ranger X said:
Jeez can't NOA at least make sense!?

They would tell us they need to spread VC releases so it doesn't run out during the VC's lifetime so why the hell this logic isn't applied to Wiiware?
The number of WiiWare games being made this year is significantly greater than the number of SNES games.

Scrubking

Rash said:
Interested in the Samurai Toaster game. I will be looking out for impressions!

Game is funny and lots of fun. From the start you can set your difficulty level (easy, norm, hard, crazy hard), and number of lives (1, 3, 6, infinite). There are some sound and display options too.

The game is really fun and from the first level the screen gets full of enemies. There are different weapon pickups, and you can melee enemies who get close to you or even throw them. You can also throw back projectiles thrown at you (there will be a lot).

So far the main enemies have been different colored pop tarts. They fall down on parachutes, run at you crazy, and throw all sorts of stuff at you. Anyway, I'm loving this game and I think it's well worth the $8.

Rainbow Islands is pretty good so far, they actually made some changes to modernize the gameplay unlike that Bubble Bobble rehash crap.

Count Dookkake said:
From that description, it sounds like Mario Clock has some gameplay. I must be reading that wrong.

I'm sure it's also a fully functioning version of SMB. I might be wrong, but that's what I'd been led to believe.

Scrubking

Anyway, I just finished Eduardo on normal with infinite lives and it was a blast. The last few levels were ridiculous and I don't know how anyone is going to beat them without infinite lives. Maybe you can continue as much as you want?

It's a great game and I can't wait to go through it again. Oh yeah, and I love the artwork and levels.

dyls

Scrubking said:
Anyway, I just finished Eduardo on normal with infinite lives and it was a blast. The last few levels were ridiculous and I don't know how anyone is going to beat them without infinite lives. Maybe you can continue as much as you want?

It's a great game and I can't wait to go through it again. Oh yeah, and I love the artwork and levels.

Did you get to try any multiplayer? Sounds like it's 4 player simultaneous. Does that seem like it would work or just be too insane?

Ranger X

JoshuaJSlone said:
The number of WiiWare games being made this year is significantly greater than the number of SNES games.

:lol You need to compare with the total number of games from all platform that could be uploaded. There's stuff in cave for like 6 years even if they would upload 3 per week. And this counting out all the games that likely would not appear + those with potential trademark and other legal issues...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Scrubking said:
Game is funny and lots of fun. From the start you can set your difficulty level (easy, norm, hard, crazy hard), and number of lives (1, 3, 6, infinite). There are some sound and display options too.

The game is really fun and from the first level the screen gets full of enemies. There are different weapon pickups, and you can melee enemies who get close to you or even throw them. You can also throw back projectiles thrown at you (there will be a lot).

So far the main enemies have been different colored pop tarts. They fall down on parachutes, run at you crazy, and throw all sorts of stuff at you. Anyway, I'm loving this game and I think it's well worth the $8.
This sounds like Metal Slug with a toaster.

Is it like Metal Slug with a toaster?

If you say yes, I have to buy it, so be careful with the power you now hold.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ranger X said:
:lol You need to compare with the total number of games from all platform that could be uploaded. There's stuff in cave for like 6 years even if they would upload 3 per week. And this counting out all the games that likely would not appear + those with potential trademark and other legal issues...

Yeah, screw all this NEW stuff, I'm pissed they won't let me re-buy stuff I've already played!

magiustra

nincompoop said:
What didn't you like about it? It looks pretty good to me, seems like they made some changes to the formula that some people don't agree with but I'm still willing to give it a shot.

They tried to modernize the game, but the new graphic style have nothing of the original "cuteness" and the gameplay is quite broken. Running over the rainbow just feel wrong, if you know what I mean.

Shard said:
Chronos Twins DX

Press Release PROVIDED BY GAMES PRESS

EnjoyUp announces Chronos Twins DX, the first project entirely produced and published by EnjoyUp Games. This innovative adventure develops on WiiWare.

Chronos Twins DX offers an amazing space-time travel on which our tireless character Nec will find adventure, action, platforms and ingenious time puzzles. Do you dare to control Nec on two parallel times at the same time?. Coming soon on WiiWare.

Provided by Games Press Games Press is the leading online resource for games journalists. Used daily by magazines, newspapers, TV, radio, online media and retailers worldwide, it offers a vast, constantly updated archive of press releases and assets, and is the simplest and most cost-effective way for PR professionals to reach the widest possible audience. Registration for the site and the Games Press email digest is available, to the trade only, at www.gamespress.com.

Guess they will split the screen in two. I'd think DSiWare would make more sense.

Scrubking

dyls said:
Did you get to try any multiplayer? Sounds like it's 4 player simultaneous. Does that seem like it would work or just be too insane?

In some spots it seems like it would be insane, but I don't know how the game changes during multi. There are lots of times on single when the screen is litered with enemies and projectiles coming from all directions. The game actually zooms out in some instances so there are even more enemies on screen shooting stuff at you.

And yes the multiplayer is simultaneous. You can work together or kill each other. There is an option to turn on friendly damage.

This sounds like Metal Slug with a toaster.

Is it like Metal Slug with a toaster?

If you say yes, I have to buy it, so be careful with the power you now hold.

While it doesn't have the production values of a Metal Slug, I would have to say yes. It is similar, but most games in this genre are.

I should also mention that the game has no story (not that I found anyway). There is no text, cutscenes or anything.

Needs more DSiWare griping.

How is it okay that NoA has gone two separate weeks without any game releases for the service? NoE has so many more good games - CODE, NEMREM, KUBOS, Asphalt 4, and Sudoku Master, and the only good games NoA has over NoE are games that just came out.

This is the worst week, just by the fact that they didn't learn the lesson that NO ONE likes these no-game weeks. NoE has arguably never given their customers a week as bad as this, and I'm shocked that NoA could put a positive spin on "we have another week with no games".

Deku

Banned
Carlisle said:

Don't feed the obvious troll.

But DSWare is a fucking disappointment, those two titles and the Bit Generaitons stuff not withstanding.

Bought and played through Choaniki a couple times.
Will post my full review later but for now I'll say this much:
It's definitely an experience, the soundtrack is wonderful, the mechanics are sound, and the level design isn't much of anything but it's smooth and has good pacing. Unfortunately it's very shallow and most players will beat it without a single death in an hour or so(and like many console shooters if you can beat the game without dying you've pretty much mastered it unless you go for something stupid like "beat the game without dying and without grabbing a single powerup"). Wings of Wor is a better game but is that on the NA/EU service? Nope.

Will probably grab Space Harrier just cause it's one of my favorite arcade games of all time and it never hurts to have a version I don't have to drag the Dreamcast out for.

Oh and Rocket Knight Adventures arrived today. Gonna dig into that and hopefully post a review so amazing that Konami will have no choice but to release it, Bloodlines, and Hard Corps on the Virtual Console in US/Europe/Japan all in one week while giving Nintendo the finger.

Plinko said:
The only disappointment I've had with DSiWare so far is the lack of VC game boy titles. Nintendo would be raking in cash hand over fist if they put a VC up.

Could you imagine how long it would take to get the Zelda Oracle games up? At one VC game a week I'd say it'll take...*counts on fingers*... five years.

Have fun with that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The only disappointment I've had with DSiWare so far is the lack of VC game boy titles. Nintendo would be raking in cash hand over fist if they put a VC up.

Top Bottom