• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land Minigames Unveiled (Screens)

Jal

Also: Is it only me or is the touch screen controlls retarded compared to the IR pointer? Look att balloon trip or pikmin, the secondary screen just mirrors the big screen, and you do all your playing on the secondary screen. So what's the point of having a big ass TV attached to the thing? The IR pointer allows you to "touch" the action on the big screen, while the touch screen makes no use of the TV at all.

Pikmin has one player on the tv and others on the controllers, balloon trips single player all seems to be done on the controller though which as you say seems pointless having the tv.

shink

I just realised there's no Pokemon game. Nintendo's second biggest franchise doesn't get any representation? Odd.

Was thinking the same thing. Wonder what's the reason behind that.

That Balloon game makes me feel uneasy with the character going right to left. It seems so unnatural.

neoanarch

Was thinking the same thing. Wonder what's the reason behind that.

That Balloon game makes me feel uneasy with the character going right to left. It seems so unnatural.

Seeing how Kirby and any IS game is also missing a Nintendo only thing.

Kjellson

I'm surprised they made a Murasame game in this. I know the game is a classic in Japan, but it felles so obscure compared to the other minigames.

Neiteio

Clearer box art than what I posted before:

1347603795761.jpg

And some art:

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm surprised they made a Murasame game in this. I know the game is a classic in Japan, but it felles so obscure compared to the other minigames.

It's not even a classic in Japan, really. My guess is that they came up with a shooting gallery tech-demo and then retrofitted the Murasamejou theme over the top of it.

Josh7289

I think there is actually a weird animatronic thing going on here. I wouldn't have expected this based on what we'd seen of NintendoLand earlier. It's interesting, they are pushing the "theme park" motif more than I anticipated.

Yeah, I think that's what's creeping me out a bit. Animatronics are a little creepy. It's like the Miis look like realistic dolls because of the lighting and shading, and realistic dolls are not supposed to move on their own, haha

Tenck

It's a nice surprise to see so many people excited about this game. I remember when Nintendo finished their presentation with Nintendo Land, people were mad and disappointed lol.

But to be fair, we didn't see much back then.

It would be weird seeing Mario wearing Samus' suit or driving her Sammobile ship. And Mario Chase plays nothing like a Mario game so I have no idea how you got confused by that.

Why would Mario wear Samus suit? That makes no sense at all. And if Mario Chase isn't a Mario game then why is it called Mario Chase? Geez, come on, think. Use your head. It's called Mario Chase. Mario Chase. And what do you mean "plays nothing like a Mario game"? Please educate me professor, how does a Mario game play. Last I checked, Mario played tennis, did kart racing and jumped form planet to planet. Why would he not play chase?

Your answer is hands down the worst come-back I've ever seen on NeoGAF.

AlexSmash

I dont know the whole artstyle/design/logos etc kinda remind me of old styled NES titles.

And i love how they give an overview of their most well known franchises.

F-zero is still alive.
I take it as a promise.

It's a nice surprise to see so many people excited about this game. I remember when Nintendo finished their presentation with Nintendo Land, people were mad and disappointed lol.

But to be fair, we didn't see much back then.

Nintendo presented it poorly, but there was undoubtedly potential in the concept; potential that seems to be realised.

Urvan

Banned
Why would Mario wear Samus suit? That makes no sense at all. And if Mario Chase isn't a Mario game then why is it called Mario Chase? Geez, come on, think. Use your head. It's called Mario Chase. Mario Chase. And what do you mean "plays nothing like a Mario game"? Please educate me professor, how does a Mario game play. Last I checked, Mario played tennis, did kart racing and jumped form planet to planet. Why would he not play chase?

You're a fool....imagine a little bit, it's like you going to a ride in Disney Land.....Mario chase is a ride, where you pretend to be Mario and your friends pretend to be toads, pretending to be Mario, would that make you be Mario ? Answer it please...

Mista Koo

Well if you bothered to look at the screens or artworks of the game (a couple of post before yours) you would notice that in the Metroid game the players wear Samus suit:
Unless you want to disable the ability to choose characters, so in each game I have to ask everyone who are they. You clearly would rather play a different game man.

And going by your definition of a Mario game then F-Zero is a fighting game and Captain Falcon is one badass martial artist.

You're a fool....imagine a little bit, it's like you going to a ride in Disney Land.....Mario chase is a ride, where you pretend to be Mario and your friends pretend to be toads, pretending to be Mario, would that make you be Mario ? Answer it please...

You didn't read my posts, did you? I know this, and I'm against it. But what can you do, I suppose.

Well if you bothered to look at the screens or artworks of the game (a couple of post before yours) you would notice that in the Metroid game the players wear Samus suit:

Unless you want to disable the ability to choose characters, so in each game I have to ask everyone who are they. You clearly would rather play a different game man.

And going by your definition of a Mario game then F-Zero is a fighting game and Captain Falcon is one badass martial artist.

Oh my god... This is unbelievable. Where do I start?

Okay, first of all, I know very well that there's a Metroid mini-game in Nintendo Land. How can you possibly not know that? And, as I'VE ALREADY SAID, you would play as Metroid in that game. I never, ever, ever said that you would play as Mario with a Metroid suit. Instead of lying about me, how about you actually read what I write. It is insulting to say the least, and your reasoning makes no sense at all.

Since you obviously didn't read what I said, I'll repeat it. It'd be to my preference that I would play as Mario in Mario Chase, Samus in Metroid Blast and so forth. I never said that you would play as Mario in Metroid. You're making shit up.

Finally, it vastly amuses me how you didn't even answer my question. You didn't define what Mario game is, because you know I'm right. And are you serious? F-Zero is not a fighting game. That is, by far, the stupidest thing I've heard on NeoGAF, and I'm not exaggerating. Your comparison is so unrelated. Have you ever even played F-Zero? No? Obviously not. I've never claimed that F-Zero is a fighting game -- but you just did.

Come on, then. Define a Mario game for me. I assume a Mario game, to you, is a platformer. So we're going to pretend that Mario Kart, Mario Sports and Mario Party doesn't exist, right? And Mario Chase isn't a Mario game, of course not. Neither is Mario Kart. And there ain't no Sonic in Sonic Generations. Jesus. I'm out of here, this is the worst discussion I've ever had on NeoGAF. The sheer stupidity.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendoworldreport says the pikmin game is awesome:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31717

One thing they did add was a "gameface" for the GamePad player. Using the controller's camera, the player's face is displayed on the TV, so the GamePad player can taunt the other players, or the other players can see the joy or fear in his eyes. It's nothing fancy, but it is a nice touch.
Very nice touch indeed, I love this kind of gimmick :)

Mista Koo

You didn't read my posts, did you? I know this, and I'm against it. But what can you do, I suppose.

Oh my god... This is unbelievable. Where do I start?

Okay, first of all, I know very well that there's a Metroid mini-game in Nintendo Land. How can you possibly not know that? And, as I'VE ALREADY SAID, you would play as Metroid in that game. I never, ever, ever said that you would play as Mario with a Metroid suit. Instead of lying about me, how about you actually read what I write. It is insulting to say the least, and your reasoning makes no sense at all.

Since you obviously didn't read what I said, I'll repeat it. It'd be to my preference that I would play as Mario in Mario Chase, Samus in Metroid Blast and so forth. I never said that you would play as Mario in Metroid. You're making shit up.

Finally, it vastly amuses me how you didn't even answer my question. You didn't define what Mario game is, because you know I'm right. And are you serious? F-Zero is not a fighting game. That is, by far, the stupidest thing I've heard on NeoGAF, and I'm not exaggerating. Your comparison is so unrelated. Have you ever even played F-Zero? No? Obviously not. I've never claimed that F-Zero is a fighting game -- but you just did.

Come on, then. Define a Mario game for me. I assume a Mario game, to you, is a platformer. So we're going to pretend that Mario Kart, Mario Sports and Mario Party doesn't exist, right? And Mario Chase isn't a Mario game, of course not. Neither is Mario Kart. And there ain't no Sonic in Sonic Generations. Jesus. I'm out of here, this is the worst discussion I've ever had on NeoGAF. The sheer stupidity.
Ok lets say you want Mario, Samus and Link in there respective mini-games. Would you rather they look like cartoony things or follow the art style of their respective games?
I'm guessing you would choose the latter (since a "Metroid game" won't look cartoony and what so ever), which clearly means you want a different game.

Also I would rather everyone choose a character to stick with in a party like/mini-game collection game. Otherwise I see myself asking everyone in each game who they are.

A Mario game is a platformer game where you play as Mario traversing a stage from point A to B to a goal or does an objective to get a shiny collectable. Mario Chase has none of those elements.
Mario spin-offs are spin-offs, unless you consider a game that teaches you how to type a Mario game, or games in which Mario is an archaeologist or a doctor Mario games, or even a game in which Mario plays a game of tennis partnering with his arch-nemesis against their baby selves a Mario game.
Captain Falcon the star of F-Zero is mostly known for throwing his Falcon punches and kicks, isn't this how we define him? Or do we just go with games that carry the name of his series? Then Metroid is a pinball game and Samus should always be a pinball (oh and Mario should be a doctor).

zroid

Banned
The sort of "toy"/mechanical aesthetic this game employs is really great. I am liking it more and more every day.

Now if only they would revamp the crappy hub area...

Ok lets say you want Mario, Samus and Link in there respective mini-games. Would you rather they look like cartoony things or follow the art style of their respective games?
I'm guessing you would choose the latter (since a "Metroid game" won't look cartoony and what so ever), which clearly means you want a different game.

Also I would rather everyone choose a character to stick with in a party like/mini-game collection game. Otherwise I see myself asking everyone in each game who they are.

A Mario game is a platformer game where you play as Mario traversing a stage from point A to B to a goal or does an objective to get a shiny collectable. Mario Chase has none of those elements.
Mario spin-offs are spin-offs, unless you consider a game that teaches you how to type a Mario game, or games in which Mario is an archaeologist or a doctor Mario games, or even a game in which Mario plays a game of tennis partnering with his arch-nemesis against their baby selves a Mario game.
Captain Falcon the star of F-Zero is mostly known for throwing his Falcon punches and kicks, isn't this how we define him? Or do we just go with games that carry the name of his series? Then Metroid is a pinball game and Samus should always be a pinball (oh and Mario should be a doctor).

Why wouldn't a Metroid game look cartoony? Many years ago people said: "Why would Zelda look cartoony?" Then we got Wind Waker which was (in my opinion) a masterpiece. So why wouldn't they look cartoony? Answer me that. And you could pick many different costumes and colors. Could play as Miis too if you really wanted. Ever played Smash Bros when four people are the same character, yet everyone knows who they are? No problem.

If a game has Mario in it, it's a Mario game. Even if it's a game that teaches you to type. Your point again makes no sense. If it's called Mario Chase it's obviously a Mario game, otherwise it wouldn't be called Mario Chase. Furthermore, just because Captain Falcon knows how to fight doesn't mean F-Zero is a fighting game. There is no way you can justify that argument. Captain Falco =/= F-Zero. F-Zero is a franchise starring Captain Falco as the main character. As far as I know, there has been no F-Zero games where you fight hand-to-hand. Likewise, there's never been a Mario Kart where you play tennis. Mario Kart and Mario Sports are different franchises under the same IP. And why would Samus always be a pinball just because there's a pinball game? That also makes no sense.

Just admit your defeat. Your arguments are terrible, weak and illogical. I know that you don't want to loose an internet argumentation but you should seriously read what you just wrote.

HeySeuss

This game is genius. It takes all the popular
franchises and makes them accessible to everybody. This will no doubt translate into more sales for the real releases as they come out. They basically made a fun and interactive commercial.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game is genius. It takes all the popular
franchises and makes them accessible to everybody. This will no doubt translate into more sales for the real releases as they come out. They basically made a fun and interactive commercial.
I could definitely see what you say working for Pikmin. If the mini game is really that good and people enjoy it... they may notice Pikmin 3 when it releases.

Bentendo

Shocked there's not a Star Fox minigame, seeing as that is still a classic EAD Nintendo title. Not surprised there's no Kirby/Pokemon/Fire Emblem, etc. though.

Shancake

Has it been said whether Nintendo land uses just a regular wiimote or if it uses Wii Remote Plus only?

I've got a bunch of regular Wii Remotes but only one +

ninjarr

Neo Member
I really love some of these games. I just wish (and have for years) that they would step up the quality of the Miis. I really do not like their art direction, never have, and think that on an HD system they really need to push for some better looking idols.

And the hub world could be a bit more interesting. Think Adventureland (total immersion), not Fantasyland (building booths).

Still, much more excited for this than I originally was. Seems like a great Mario Party/Smash Brothers fill-in.

Neiteio

I sure hope bundled Nintendoland actually comes with a box
I didn't even think of this. It would really conflict me to buy the deluxe bundle if Nintendo Land didn't come with its own case. System color is pointless to me and I don't foresee myself buying many digital games, so if it came down to it I could get the base set, buy this game separately and just upgrade the memory if need be. But I'd rather they just include Nintendo Land's case with the deluxe bundle and not cheap out and go for a cardboard sleeve.

RedSwirl

I didn't even think of this. It would really conflict me to buy the deluxe bundle if Nintendo Land didn't come with its own case. System color is pointless to me and I don't foresee myself buying many digital games, so if it came down to it I could get the base set, buy this game separately and just upgrade the memory if need be. But I'd rather they just include Nintendo Land's case with the deluxe bundle and not cheap out and go for a cardboard sleeve.

Or it could be a download code to get people accustomed to the eShop. Or it could just be pre-installed.

Anyway, this could be an excellent party game If I were actually able to organize one.

bomma_man

Wii Sports did in PAL but not in the US (?)

KTallguy

Banned
Sad that Metroid has been reduced to this... but I guess the writing was on the wall. The games look fun though. It's a shame that every Nintendo IP has been reduced to this whimsical fantasy angle. There was a lot more variety before.

Kjellson

It's not even a classic in Japan, really. My guess is that they came up with a shooting gallery tech-demo and then retrofitted the Murasamejou theme over the top of it.
Really? I see people discussing Takamaru for the next Smash Bros. all the time. I thought it was because of its "classic status" in Japan. Seems really weird.

Neiteio

Battle Quest is apparently one of the games you can play in single-player as well as multiplayer (nine of the 12 games can be played in single-player, some also with multiplayer). I wonder how it'd be in one-player? Just you and your sword? Or the bow? Or your choice of the two?

Metroid Blast looks great. Pikmin Adventure and Balloon Fight Breeze look PERFECT. In fact, Pikmin Adventure and Balloon Fight Breeze look like they have strong enough dynamics to form their own standalone games; I'd certainly like a Balloon Fight revival made this way.

Takamaru's Ninja Castle looks conceptually solid -- throw stars at different angles/distances with different strokes, intercept incoming projectiles with your stars, etc -- but I don't know how fun it is. Guess it would depend on how fast, fluid and responsive the controls are. As with all the other games, though, I love the look -- the stitched-cloth ninjas and felt-fabric pagodas look lovely.

I'm intrigued by DK Crash Course, and most people seem to love it. One person in this thread hated it, though. I really don't know what to expect. Looks like a puzzler of sorts, figuring out how to methodically negotiate each step of the course?

Those are the games that most pique my interest right now. Mario Chase, Sweet Day and Ghost Mansion look god-tier as well, but I'm most intrigued to see how strong the single-player games stand on their own merits.

I would've liked to have seen more of the hub world. Didn't Game Informer say that you add new features to it (animatronics, etc) as you play pachinko, of all things? It will be interesting to see how everything fits together.

zroid

Banned
Or it could be a download code to get people accustomed to the eShop. Or it could just be pre-installed.

Anyway, this could be an excellent party game If I were actually able to organize one.

NLand is going to be a disc copy in the deluxe bundle. But apparently the rep who said that wasn't able to confirm if it would have its own box or not.

Sad that Metroid has been reduced to this... but I guess the writing was on the wall. The games look fun though. It's a shame that every Nintendo IP has been reduced to this whimsical fantasy angle. There was a lot more variety before.

The IPs aren't being "reduced" to anything. It's not like every forthcoming Metroid game will have Miis in it.

Top Bottom