• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land Minigames Unveiled (Screens)

KTallguy

Banned
The IPs aren't being "reduced" to anything. It's not like every forthcoming Metroid game will have Miis in it.

It does cheapen the IP's image. Just like the last set of kinda shitty Metroids, or how a lot of spinoffs can cheapen the image of any IP (Final Fantasy is a good example).

zroid

Banned
I really don't agree with that at all. If you see Nintendo Land as somehow cheapening the properties it involves, then you've made a mistake in raising them up on an untouchable pedestal.

It's nothing but a way to add some familiar charm to a series of mini-games.

Hell, even if the mini-games were bad, it would fare far better in that regard than releasing actual poor entries in their respective series (a la Other M).

Neiteio

Nothing is being cheapened. At the end of the day, these are solid uses of the new controller, the graphics have a creative handmade aesthetic backed by some appealing tech, and they're all integrated into a theme park where both lesser-known and ultra-popular, well-respected franchises (Mario, Zelda, etc) are represented. It cheapens nothing because they're quality individual efforts made greater being part of a whole that includes marquee names like Mario.

However... I don't think these individual minigames will do much as "bridge" titles. I think they're fine by themselves, but many are so far removed from the basic gameplay of their respective franchises that they will do little more than make certain brand names more familiar. But perhaps that alone is enough to pique interest in, say, Pikmin 3 when it rolls around.

jwhit28

How does this cheapen series? It has the same effect Super Smash Bros did. If people like the minigames they will naturally want to explore the series further.

zoukka

Cheapen the IP's what the hell, there are Miis' running in these games, not even the actual game characters. Some of you people try too hard.

Neiteio

That won't happen either.
Yeah, while I don't think NL cheapens these franchises, it definitely won't sell people on them, either. In Smash Bros., you play as the actual characters, with actual moves, using actual items in actual stages from their respective game series. In NL, you get some of the aesthetic... and some of the sound (like the remixed Dark World theme in Battle Quest)... and some of the gameplay motifs, like bow and arrows in Zelda... but on the whole it's something else entirely. It's not meant to capture the imagination in the same way.

But don't get me wrong: NL looks awesome. Definitely the coolest minigame collection Nintendo has released in quite some time. Definitely the most aesthetically appealing, too. Just don't expect it to act as a "brand ambassador" in the way Smash did. Especially as it's not bundled with the basic set and will be seen by only a fraction of the people who saw Wii Sports.

LOCK

This collection is starting to look better and better. Hopefully it signifies what Nintendo will release in the next couple years.

zroid

Banned
I wish that devs had learned in the Wii generation that if you're going to make a mini-game collection, implement a relatively small number of highly polished games with some replay value, instead of just shoving in dozens of shitty games into the same package.

Nintendo Land is a mini-game pack I can get behind.

Jarsonot

I could see kids having fun with metroid blast, wanting to check out the next new metroid. Same with pikmin and Luigi. And Zelda.

NickMitch

I´m betting Nintendoland will recieve very, very high scores in reviews. Can´t see anything else happen. It has the potential to really sell the system until the end of the launch window.

As far as content, i think they outdid themselves. I have invested more hours into Wii Sports bowling and tennis than in SS and Goldeneye combined and if they have even the slightest amount of rewards/achievements or medals in this game, I shall be stuck in Nintendoland until my mid 30s....It seems like a really packed game.

Glass Joe

The Mii theme-park concept is pretty clear, so I don't think it's going to lower the value of any IPs. But I guess if the games suck, it COULD lower the value of the Nintendo brand in general. But that Metroid Blast game is actually a clever way to reboot the Metroid multi-player concept, without cheapening the Metroid series.

I just realized I don't see a Kirby game and that's really surprising. Thought they'd do a Star Fox one too.

EulaCapra

Eww, I was under the impression that the single-player games would be "smaller attractions" and outside of the main 12. I didn't know only half of the 12 main games feature multiplayer.

Excitement level went from 80 to 70.

CrisKre

I think if the game does catch on it will certainly raise awareness of some franchises. Most of this games show gameplay characteristics of their respective main titles, like samus morph ball or pikmin commands. I could totally see customers showing interest in future iterations of this titles if they enjoy the attractions.

CorvoSol

It does cheapen the IP's image. Just like the last set of kinda shitty Metroids, or how a lot of spinoffs can cheapen the image of any IP (Final Fantasy is a good example).

I have to ask about these bolded parts. I thought there was only one bad Metroid of late?

And Final Fantasy's spin-offs are so radically different from one another that it seems odd to me that you could say they all cheapen the image of the IP. Maybe Dirge of Cerberus was bad, but Type-0 was good, and Crystal Chronicles and especially Tactics were very good for it. I mean, how does one lump Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, Dirge of Cerberus, Dissidia and Theatrhythm all into the same boat when they all play radically different from one another?

Medalion

Banned
Not willing to buy this extra, but bundled with the Premium is worth it

The more videos I see of the latest developments, the more it does look like a collection of iOS games starring Nintendo characters...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only thing I don't like so far is that game configurations are uneven - some games are only single player, some only multiplayer. I think it would have been best if all 12 supported single or multiplayer thus leaving nobody out from enjoying them. It's that kind of inconsistent presentation that hurts a package.

Aside from that, I think there's way too much fannish cynism and hostility directed at this thing by many. Yo vidoegames and all that. This package is going to 'devalue' or, lord above 'insult' absolutely nothing. It's a Nintendo celebration. Jeeze.

The games look like a good evolution of the microgame concept started in a few of the Wii collections, but turned into ever so slightly meatier experiences. There is value in a collection of arcade style games. The trick is that a lot of the classic arcade games actually have some real depth to them and longterm playability - it's just their presentation that is simple and accessible. I'm hoping it's a balance that is struck by the games in this project.

Effect

The 12 mini games are

Single Player (6 Games)
Donkey Kong's Crash Course
Balloon Trip Breeze
Octopus Dance (Game & Watch, no footage)
Yoshi's Fruit Cart (no footage)
Takamaru Ninja Castle
Captain Falcon's Twister Race (F-Zero)

Multiplayer (3 Games)
Animal Crossing: Sweet Day
Luigi's Ghost Mansion
Mario Chase

Single & Multiplayer (3 Games)
Metroid Blast
The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest
Pikmin Adventure

Just that fast my opinion of Nintendo Land goes from not caring and happy it's a pack in for the deluxe version I'm getting (to hold me over until my games arrive in the mail) to actually being excited and very interested in playing now. Especially since the horde like mode in Metroid Blast has a decent number of levels by itself. I assume the other attractions are like this as well with different modes having several levels.

The single player aspect of the game was THE biggest concern for me. The focus on multiplayer and no talk of single player is what shaped my opinion of this game. That it's more single player then multiplayer greatly changes things for me.

Hakai

This game is looking amazing, the Mario Chase scenarios are gorgeous, really lovely. Can't wait to play it with the girlfriend!!

Q1ller

Banned
I don't see why anyone would want to use the stylus on the gamepad to play these games. We finally get an HD Nintendo console so we can play on/view a DS screen? The girl playing the balloon game appears to be looking almost solely at the gamepad.

The games do look fun, however!

Gilby

This game is looking amazing, the Mario Chase scenarios are gorgeous, really lovely. Can't wait to play it with the girlfriend!!
It looks like block fort from mk64, aka best mk battle level of all time! I federally want to try that game.

Eric C

There is no real online play in this game right? Is this game worth it for single player?

Most of my friends don't play Nintendo games :(

Not the Pikimin I was hoping to play at launch, but still, this looks good, and as a whole Nintendo Land is looking like my fav launch title after Mario.

Tagg9

The 12 mini games are

Single Player (6 Games)
Donkey Kong's Crash Course
Balloon Trip Breeze
Octopus Dance (Game & Watch, no footage)
Yoshi's Fruit Cart (no footage)
Takamaru Ninja Castle
Captain Falcon's Twister Race (F-Zero)

Multiplayer (3 Games)
Animal Crossing: Sweet Day
Luigi's Ghost Mansion
Mario Chase

Single & Multiplayer (3 Games)
Metroid Blast
The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest
Pikmin Adventure

How can the F-Zero minigame not have multiplayer? Seems like a rather obvious combination.

SHarris78

Of the 6 multiplayer games, do we know how many players can play in each game?

If i buy Nintendoland it'll mainly be to play 2 player with my daughter, but i think some games may need at least 3 players. If thats the case i'll probably pass.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How can the F-Zero minigame not have multiplayer? Seems like a rather obvious combination.

I don't think they explicitly said "single-player only", it was more "designed for one player but allowing for other people to interact" or some other flowery thing which probably just means "games that are fun for people to watch you play on the big screen".

Really, though. F-Zero without multiplayer? C'mon, Shiggy.

If i buy Nintendoland it'll mainly be to play 2 player with my daughter, but i think some games may need at least 3 players. If thats the case i'll probably pass.

I haven't watched the Pikmin clip yet but all the others definitely support 4/5 players.

TDLink

2-5 I believe for all of them though for some it lessens the experience with only 2 instead of 3.

For example, Mario Chase you would only have one toad chasing Mario...kind of obvious who wins that.

For Metroid Blast though they actually demoed it with just one person as a "Samus" and one in the gunship and it worked perfect since that game is cooperative.

In Pikmin Adventure it will be one as Olimar and one as a Pikmin but that will also work since multiple Pikmin aren't really required; both players will just play separate roles.

madmackem

Eww, I was under the impression that the single-player games would be "smaller attractions" and outside of the main 12. I didn't know only half of the 12 main games feature multiplayer.

Excitement level went from 80 to 70.

Its the opposite to me, fuck local multiplayer.

Thought this game was going to be garbage but i'm turning around on it. The last week or so i've been very impressed by pretty much everything nintendo is showing.

Its the opposite to me, fuck local multiplayer.

Local multiplayer to me is at the very core of gaming and is essentially gaming at its best. The day local MP goes away i will become a PC only gamer.

Terrell

Nintendoland's plainly being developed around internal Nintendo franchises. As a result, Game Freak and Intelligent Systems franchises are nowhere to be seen.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that Takumaru's Ninja Castle could have been reskinned with Pokeballs and Miis wearing Pokémon costumes.

I'd bet that this game will be seeing DLC minigames in the future as more games from their respective franchises start to come out.

Sad that Metroid has been reduced to this... but I guess the writing was on the wall. The games look fun though. It's a shame that every Nintendo IP has been reduced to this whimsical fantasy angle. There was a lot more variety before.

Someone should have told Nintendo these things before they made Smash Bros. then.

However... I don't think these individual minigames will do much as "bridge" titles. I think they're fine by themselves, but many are so far removed from the basic gameplay of their respective franchises that they will do little more than make certain brand names more familiar. But perhaps that alone is enough to pique interest in, say, Pikmin 3 when it rolls around.

Yeah, while I don't think NL cheapens these franchises, it definitely won't sell people on them, either. In Smash Bros., you play as the actual characters, with actual moves, using actual items in actual stages from their respective game series. In NL, you get some of the aesthetic... and some of the sound (like the remixed Dark World theme in Battle Quest)... and some of the gameplay motifs, like bow and arrows in Zelda... but on the whole it's something else entirely. It's not meant to capture the imagination in the same way.

But don't get me wrong: NL looks awesome. Definitely the coolest minigame collection Nintendo has released in quite some time. Definitely the most aesthetically appealing, too. Just don't expect it to act as a "brand ambassador" in the way Smash did. Especially as it's not bundled with the basic set and will be seen by only a fraction of the people who saw Wii Sports.

Why wouldn't it? The only way Smash Bros. acts as a brand ambassador is aesthetically. You can't really appreciate a character in Smash Bros. like you can in their own stories because the characters are too out of context to allow for that. And the moveset doesn't accurately represent the gameplay style of the games they come from WHATSOEVER. So the only appeal to a franchise that Smash Bros. offers is "look how cool this character is" with no understanding of the game they come from.

NintendoLand is the opposite side of the same coin, making the hallmark about a simpler aspect of the gameplay from those franchises, rather than just an aesthetic hallmark.

Boil down Mario, and what is it? Running and jumping. So they made a mini-game about that.

Boil down Metroid, what is it? Running and shooting. So they made a mini-game about that.

Boil down Zelda, what is it? Medieval weapon fighting and puzzles. So they made a mini-game about that.

Of course, then there's things like Animal Crossing... you can't convey Animal Crossing's gameplay scope in a mini-game, so they just did something fun that borrows elements of the gameplay (collecting things out of trees and on the ground) and built a game around it. And not sure what they were thinking about with Donkey Kong.

But for the series listed above, NintendoLand does more to attract people to new types of gameplay than Smash Bros. EVER will.

Penguin

I'm sensing that Octopus Dance will be based on Shield Pose, in some way.

SHIELD Pose is in Game & Wario though

Some impressions from NWR on Metroid Blast, really makes the game sound sweet. It's always the minor touches

Also in this mode, the ship can be shot down, making the GamePad player have to run around, totally defenseless, searching for a heart. I ran into this one time, and almost wanted to slap my compatriots as they kept on destroying hearts I was just about to collect.

So gives you a reason to pick the ship in this mode.

And nice balance between being so powerful and weak when blasted down.

Also screen of death-match

11.png

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31750

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SHIELD Pose is in Game & Wario though

Some impressions from NWR on Metroid Blast, really makes the game sound sweet. It's always the minor touches

So gives you a reason to pick the ship in this mode.

And nice balance between being so powerful and weak when blasted down.

Also screen of death-match

11.png

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31750
Just read this article, they say Metroïd is awesome. Can't wait for other impressions.

Top Bottom