• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land Minigames Unveiled (Screens)

zroid

Banned
This seems like it's going to be one of those games that has a lot of novelty for 1-2 hours max and then, since it doesn't have much meaningful depth, it'll get shelved and forgotten.

At least the screenshots look cute.

You probably couldn't even play all of the games in 1-2 hours.

I think the solo games will likely wear themselves out before too long, unless there is some compelling score challenge. But the multiplayer stuff, particularly Pikmin and Metroid, and maybe Zelda, shouldn't have a problem keeping people interested for a long while post-release.

Kouriozan

You probably couldn't even play all of the games in 1-2 hours.

I think the solo games will likely wear themselves out before too long, unless there is some compelling score challenge. But the multiplayer stuff, particularly Pikmin and Metroid, and maybe Zelda, shouldn't have a problem keeping people interested for a long while post-release.

+ with unlockable stuff with coins and I never stop playing a game until I 100% it.

If wii sports is any indication, Ill probably play each of these games for hours. I don't quite understand Nintendo and their stance with no online in stuff like Metroid, but I guess that is their typical behavior. Completely unexplainable lol

Eric C

Do we know which games if any require the use of a nunchuck for multiplayer?

RZNn4.jpg

Drago

Have a coupon for $10 off anything for GameStop, gonna use it to get this for $50 because NewEgg wouldn't let me.

It looks like fun. :p

zroid

Banned
Have a coupon for $10 off anything for GameStop, gonna use it to get this for $50 because NewEgg wouldn't let me.

It looks like fun. :p

Wait, Nintendo Land is selling for $60 at retail? That makes... no sense >_>

I bet once the MSRP is confirmed, it's going to be 50, tops

Drago

Every single store has it set for $60 so I'm just going with that for now. I'd love for it to be $50 though, then I can get it for $40 :p

Meelow

Banned

That does make no sense, since Nintendo Land is packaged with the Deluxe sku and that comes with other stuff as well, I think Nintendo Land is $40 at retail.

japtor

That does make no sense, since Nintendo Land is packaged with the Deluxe sku and that comes with other stuff as well, I think Nintendo Land is $40 at retail.
It's $60, Reggie said it in this interview. That's why the deluxe is a no brainier if you want Nintendo Land (unless you wanted white like me, but I got over that).

zroid

Banned
It's $60, Reggie said it in this interview. That's why the deluxe is a no brainier if you want Nintendo Land (unless you wanted white like me, but I got over that).

The thing is, Nintendo Land has no reason to exist at all at a $60 price point (at least, while the bundled SKU exists). The only people who would buy the standalone product are those who purchased the basic SKU. But if they wanted to buy it, then they should have puchased the deluxe SKU.

So it flies in the face of all logic.

Neiteio

We don't know if the deluxe will include the case for Nintendo Land. I'm crazy enough to spend $10 extra on a retail copy if it means a case over a plastic sleeve!

japtor

The thing is, Nintendo Land has no reason to exist at all at a $60 price point (at least, while the bundled SKU exists). The only people who would buy the standalone product are those who purchased the basic SKU. But if they wanted to buy it, then they should have puchased the deluxe SKU.

So it flies in the face of all logic.
Except crazy logic!

The whole value upsell strategy I guess. The deluxe looks like a good deal since you're getting x amount of stuff for $50 more that would otherwise cost...I don't know (NL for $60, stands are like $20 each I think, extra storage, and whatever the hell the rewards thing is if you can apply a value to it). The appearance of a better value can push people to buy the $350 model that they might not otherwise get. Nintendo ekes $50 more out of people for stuff that probably doesn't cost much to them to include, gets Nintendo Land into homes that might not otherwise get it, etc. If Nintendo Land is less then the illusion breaks down a bit.

Plus it gives Nintendo Land more of a perceived value itself, which again helps the appearance deluxe bundle.
Or if you wanted a deluxe but could only find a basic, but wanted Nintendoland as well.
And yeah, that.

zroid

Banned
But the people who bought a basic because they couldn't find the deluxe argument still doesn't really work.

Instead, it would make more sense for Nintendo to not print any standalone copies of Nintendo Land, and dramatically decrease the number of basic SKUs in lieu of more deluxe SKUs.

Neiteio

But the people who bought a basic because they couldn't find the deluxe argument still doesn't really work.

Instead, it would make more sense for Nintendo to not print any standalone copies of Nintendo Land, and dramatically decrease the number of basic SKUs in lieu of more deluxe SKUs.
Maybe my mind's fuzzy because it's late, but are you saying it would make more sense for those who get the basic to not have any way to get Nintendo Land?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ballon trip controls are super precise in this video.

Overall the game looks great, with a special mention for Zelda.

daakusedo

Zelda battle quest is a good thing. I feel like there is not enough moments to fight in skyward sword, not even an ordeal when the end of the game had some intense and great battles.
I can only hope for crowded encounter in the later levels of battle quest.

japtor

Maybe my mind's fuzzy because it's late, but are you saying it would make more sense for those who get the basic to not have any way to get Nintendo Land?
Heh, that's the result (except the eShop), but the main point was to just allocate more production to deluxe units to make more of them available for everyone that wants it. If people want Nintendo Land they'll probably go after the deluxe, so instead of printing copies for the basic model owners, go deluxe heavy in production instead. It'd reduce the value illusion of the deluxe without having Nintendo Land sold separately to compare though, like people might think it's a basic cheap pack in of mini games (like how "core" gamers view Wii Sports or something) and ignore it instead. It's a sort of catch 22 situation.

Otherwise I'd guess there's market research and a bunch of financial stuff involved. Printing possibly useless copies of Nintendo Land is probably nothing for them cost wise, but could be worth it as a way of advertising the game itself ("it's a full retail game!") and the more expensive model. If there's not enough stock of a "cheap" model, they could lose out on sales by more price conscious buyers and people that would rather spend the money on a different game (and feel offended by unwanted pack ins increasing the cost for them). There could be a billion random little factors like that involved in the choice.

jacksrb

If wii sports is any indication, Ill probably play each of these games for hours.

I agree. Loved WSR and really excited about visiting Nintendo Land.

One of the comments that I hear a lot is something like "Wii Sports was fun for the first two weeks, then I didn't play it again." Isn't that true for most console games outside of online shooters/sports? I don't hear anyone say "Bioshock was great for a week, but then what?"

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Still no F-Zero/ Yoshi/ Octopus gameplay videos?

Gamexplain and IGN have said they will have new previews of NintendoLand later today, with first footage of Yoshi Cart and Octopus Dance. I am assuming (since they got to play final builds) we will hear details about the hub world and F-zero minigame as well.

Top Bottom