• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land Minigames Unveiled (Screens)

For 1 player: Yoshi's Fruit Cart, Balloon Trip Breeze, Donkey Kong's Crash Course, Takamaru's Ninja Castle, Captain Falcon's Twister Race, Octopus Dance

For 1 player AND up to 5 players: The Legend of Zelda Battle Quest, Metroid Blast, Pikmin Adventure (in Metroid Blast single-player, you can even choose to play as Samus or the gunship)

For 2-5 players only: Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Animal Crossing Sweet Day.

SOURCE: Nintendo press release

Yeah I know, but it just looked nice to me with the rows. :)
Out of these the single & multi look the best. Followed by the multi only. The single only ones seem novel but I think they'd wear thin after a while.

Medalion

Banned
I'm hoping there will be... for lack of a better word, DLC for this game to show more games and modes and shit to make this mini-game a thon last longer

zroid

Banned
The Animal Crossing one actually seems pretty neat; apparently you need to multi-task by controlling two separate characters, one with each analogue stick? That's quite interesting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The only one I've seen so far that I don't really dig is Mario Chase, which doesn't look particularly interesting or even particularly Mario-ish.

I also wonder about the DK/F-Zero games--the DK game doesn't really seem like it'd have much replay value, and the F-Zero one looks more like the bike section from Battletoads than a proper racing game.

Neiteio

OK, new and improved wallpaper (1600x900): This time, the first COLUMN is multiplayer-only; the second column is single-player AND multiplayer (so you can play them by yourself, or with friends); and the third and fourth columns are single-player only:

Z-New-NintendoLandAlt-2.jpg
Jacksrb was right that it's easier to visualize them this way. I left space at the bottom for the taskbar, and tried to make it a bit right-heavy for people with icons on the left. Spacing is about equal per row, but staggered column-wise to fit them all evenly. :)

I'm most excited for Balloon Trip Breeze, Pikmin Adventure and Metroid Blast. Also eager to try Animal Crossing: Sweet Day with the family. :)

japtor

Out of these the single & multi look the best. Followed by the multi only. The single only ones seem novel but I think they'd wear thin after a while.
The longevity of the single ones could vary a lot. My hope is that they're like older games (arcade, NES, etc), simple gameplay mechanics...but like a whole crapload levels with increasing difficulty and creativity. Add online leaderboards and you have something that could be big, at least with some people like myself that's into that stuff.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The longevity of the single ones could vary a lot. My hope is that they're like older games (arcade, NES, etc), simple gameplay mechanics...but like a whole crapload levels with increasing difficulty and creativity. Add online leaderboards and you have something that could be big, at least with some people like myself that's into that stuff.

There's also this business about farming coins from the games to spend on items in the hub.

Neiteio

Watching video of solo-only Balloon Trip Breeze and Takamaru's Ninja Castle, it looks like there's a wide assortment of scenarios in what they've demoed alone, I.E. bamboo forests and castle interior/exteriors in Takamaru, and morning/day/dusk/night, sunny and stormy, etc in Balloon Trip. Not to mention added elements like optional package deliveries in Balloon Trip -- tricky to pull off, but rewarding. I think these games will prove to have some substance to them, but as Bill Trinen said, mechanically they will be simpler -- addictive, but simpler. :)

I'm hoping there will be... for lack of a better word, DLC for this game to show more games and modes and shit to make this mini-game a thon last longer
I thought I heard there were also minigames in the hub world as well. Either way that's a lot of content especially for a minigame collection.
The Animal Crossing one actually seems pretty neat; apparently you need to multi-task by controlling two separate characters, one with each analogue stick? That's quite interesting.
Haven't seen videos but is it like PHs multiplayer?

You'll be pleased to hear then that that's pretty much what's happening with Miiverse in that game. The Game Informer article on NintendoLand mentioned specifically that "Nintendo hopes [chasing after high scores] will breed competition in the Miiverse."

That's really good news. It seems like more and more people are giving this game attention after the E3 showing, so it should be fairly easy to find a lot of people to compete against. Hopefully news about the Wii U in general will start to come out at a steady pace since the launch isn't too far away. I know that they said at their conference that they'd detail Nintendo Land's Miiverse features at a later date.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Are we certain that yoshi's fruit cart and Octopus dance are single-player only?

I hope Yoshi Fruit Cart is very Touch and Go-ish.

justjim89

People are really down on this game and it's graphics, but I think it looks great. Nice lighting, vibrant colors. Anyone who thinks this could be done on Wii is a fool. I've no doubt that when a minigame collection looks this good, Nintendo's heavy hitters to be seen in the future will look amazing.

Neiteio

Can't remember where, but I read that you can choose to either play as the ship or on the ground when playing single player.
Bill Trinen confirmed you can play as either Samus or the ship in single-player Metroid Blast. In fact, he confirmed this during his stage demo during NOA's conference Sept. 13.

jacksrb

OK, new and improved wallpaper (1600x900): This time, the first COLUMN is multiplayer-only; the second column is single-player AND multiplayer (so you can play them by yourself, or with friends); and the third and fourth columns are single-player only:

Jacksrb was right that it's easier to visualize them this way. I left space at the bottom for the taskbar, and tried to make it a bit right-heavy for people with icons on the left. Spacing is about equal per row, but staggered column-wise to fit them all evenly. :)

I'm most excited for Balloon Trip Breeze, Pikmin Adventure and Metroid Blast. Also eager to try Animal Crossing: Sweet Day with the family. :)

Now this is perfect! Thanks.

NL is shaping up to be awesome.

I put this in another one of the threads (Maybe Nibel's conference summary thread) about wondering what the Yoshi's Fruit Cart game will be like. To me, it will either be 2D or 3D on rails. Since DK is also a 2D cart-like activity, I am excited about a 3D on rails fruit cart where you use the gamepad to look around in the environment like Pokemon Snap. Instead of taking pictures, you target a fruit and Yoshi's tongue flashes out to grab it.

Neiteio

Now this is perfect! Thanks.

NL is shaping up to be awesome.

I put this in another one of the threads (Maybe Nibel's conference summary thread) about wondering what the Yoshi's Fruit Cart game will be like. To me, it will either be 2D or 3D on rails. Since DK is also a 2D cart-like activity, I am excited about a 3D on rails fruit cart where you use the gamepad to look around in the environment like Pokemon Snap. Instead of taking pictures, you target a fruit and Yoshi's tongue flashes out to grab it.
That's an awesome idea! Now I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with whatever Yoshi's Fruit Trail ends up being. :)

Of the two unknown attractions, I'm most excited about Octopus Dance, merely because I love Game & Watch and am curious to see what they will do with the Octopus. Here's hoping for Miis in scuba suits! The subtitle is "Undersea Party Grooves" or some such, lol.

jacksrb

That's an awesome idea! Now I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with whatever Yoshi's Fruit Trail ends up being. :)

Of the two unknown attractions, I'm most excited about Octopus Dance, merely because I love Game & Watch and am curious to see what they will do with the Octopus. Here's hoping for Miis in scuba suits! The subtitle is "Undersea Party Grooves" or some such, lol.

Scuba miis are great. Would the Octopus be the DJ? 8 arms would make for an awesome DJ.

Seriously, I think the best way to guess the remaining two that we haven't seen are to think about ways in which the gamepad hasn't been featured in the game yet.

- Tilt & Gyro: DK, F-Zero steering?
- Stylus: Balloon Trip
- Touchscreen: Takamura
- Gamepad as a window into the world: Zelda
- As an alternate view of the action: Mario, Luigi, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin

Running out of gas on this. What isn't used outside of things that use the gamepad as a different view and require a wiimote (like in the golf thing from E3 2011)?

DJ-hero style gameplay on the screen for Undersea Party Grooves?

OryoN

I'm really impressed by this game's visual style. I just love that whole toy factory look, coupled with that amazing lighting, hi-res texture work, and that unique Nintendo charm(the Mario Chase scene with them running through the mud was cute, haha). Also impressive was how much on-screen detail is thrown around - especially in the "hub" Park itself - with loads of detailed, aminated objects everywhere creating that theme-park vibe quite convincingly.

As much as people turn their noses at this game, that visual presentation is something I haven't seen on current consoles, on this level. Seems like this console could potentially allow Nintendo to unleash their creativity in a manner that haven't been seen since N64. i was going to wait, but I'm tempted to pick Wii U up at launch.

Hoodbury

F me, I just done got excited for NintendoLand. That Pikmin game looks like it'll be pretty dang fun to play with my Wife.

Kouriozan

As much as people turn their noses at this game, that visual presentation is something I haven't seen on current consoles, on this level. Seems like this console could potentially allow Nintendo to unleash their creativity in a manner that haven't been seen since N64.

Yup, Nintendo land is pretty impressive.
And HD COLORS *-*

Has this video of Mario Chase been posted yet?

I know I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I really think Nintendo Land looks great graphically. The environments look nice, and again, I really like the look of the mechanical Piranha Plants and even the water.

I hope the F-Zero game got a speed boost.

I know I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I really think Nintendo Land looks great graphically. The environments look nice, and again, I really like the look of the mechanical Piranha Plants and even the water.

You really aren't exaggerating. It's probably the best looking Wii U title that's currently announced. You can really tell that it's built from the ground up for the system.

blamite

This looks pretty fun, but I'm surprised by some of the franchises being left out. No pokemon? No Star Fox? No Kirby? No Earthbound or Fire Emblem? The fact that there hasn't been any sign of these, even in passing in the hub is kind of disappointing. The minigames seem cool, but I wish some more time would have been spent fleshing out the hub, last time we saw it it was just a big circle with connections to minigames. It would've been so cool to go through a full-fledged theme park with different themed sectors based on the games featured as minigames.

zroid

Banned
If only they'd fix the hub world's gaudiness problem, I would have no hesitation exclaiming Nintendo Land the graphical showpiece of the Wii U launch. :[

All the games look so different, and yet they each manage to capture the same craftwork theme. It's ingenious and beautiful.

Roo

Do we know if these minigames will have several stages?
like 5 different racing tracks for F-Zero or 5 Mansions for Luigi's game
or 5 battle stages for Metroid

I'd say that's a given but considering there are twelve atractions and we're talking about Nintendo they could just add one per minigame and call it a day

This looks pretty fun, but I'm surprised by some of the franchises being left out. No pokemon? No Star Fox? No Kirby? No Earthbound or Fire Emblem? The fact that there hasn't been any sign of these, even in passing in the hub is kind of disappointing. The minigames seem cool, but I wish some more time would have been spent fleshing out the hub, last time we saw it it was just a big circle with connections to minigames. It would've been so cool to go through a full-fledged theme park with different themed sectors based on the games featured as minigames.

I once entertained the idea of an actual theme park design. I would have liked walking down a path that leads to Peach's Castle in order to participate in a round of Mario Chase. Or perhaps going to Hyrule Castle for a game of The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest. It may have added too much unnecessary fluff, though.

I would have liked to see more franchises as well.

I'd say that's a given but considering there are twelve atracions and we're talking about Nintendo they could just add one per minigame and call it a day

I think at least Metroid Blast, The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, and Mario Chase have several different maps.

I'd say that's a given but considering there are twelve atractions and we're talking about Nintendo they could just add one per minigame and call it a day

IIRC,

LoZ Battle Quest: 9 stages + secret stages
Metroid Blast: 16 maps
Luigi's Mansion: At least 2 maps

So far are confirmed, maybe more.

Roo

I once entertained the idea of an actual theme park design. I would have liked walking down a path that leads to Peach's Castle in order to participate in a round of Mario Chase. Or perhaps going to Hyrule Castle for a game of The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest. It may have added too much unnecessary fluff, though.

I would have liked to see more franchises as well.

I think at least Metroid Blast, The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, and Mario Chase have several different maps.

IIRC,

LoZ Battle Quest: 9 stages + secret stages
Metroid Blast: 16 maps
Luigi's Mansion: At least 2 maps

So far are confirmed, maybe more.

Thank you both :D
wow at Metroid Blast :O

Penguin

Different stages and modes for several of the games.

The Lamp

This seems like it's going to be one of those games that has a lot of novelty for 1-2 hours max and then, since it doesn't have much meaningful depth, it'll get shelved and forgotten.

At least the screenshots look cute.

Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest

Main campaign: 9 stages
Completing those unlocks several more stages
Time Attack mode: destroy all enemies across 3 different stages in as little time as possible.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2012/09/new-battle-quest-details-revealed-trailer/

Metroid Blast

16 stages, potential. At least 8
Team, Hoard and Free-For-All modes.
Mecha-Ridley enemy.

http://gamewise.co/games/45809/Nintendo-Land/Attractions/Metroid-Blast
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31750

Pikmin Adventure

Co-op and versus mode.
Bud Pikmin at Lvl 5, Flower Pikmin Lvl 10.
Higher levels for Pikmin possible.
Multiple levels to go through, in linear fashion.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31717

Q1ller

Banned
Does anyone know if these mini-games (specifically Pikmin) can be played without having to use the stylus? What's the point of HD if you have to look at the gamepad the whole time?

It is great graphically. On top of the clean look and great art, it runs and 60fps, not the "30fps give or take" shit. It's an awesome looking game AND fantastic in motion. Covers both sides.

Top Bottom