• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to milk the hell out of HD remasters on Switch

RalchAC

People these days can't tell the difference between a remake and a remaster. Only 2 of those games are remastered.

Do you really consider Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask to be a "remake"?. Because I've always saw them as remasters. Maybe they have more time and love dedicated to them, but they are sold separately and at full price, so that goes without saying.

There is a big different between those 2 games and, let's say, the recently announced Fire Emblem Gaiden.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just want 3D World ported over so I can finally play it.

Branduil

I suppose in some cases they could make L and R "light presses" while LZ and RZ are "full presses." And then assign the Z button to one of the analog clicks. Not a perfect solution but better than nothing.

Skeletos311

I'm not interested in remasters or up ports of Wii and Wii U games. That suff is too recent. I'd rather have real remakes of older games. Like GC and earlier.

Mohonky

Kidn of agree and kind of dont. Galaxy Games absolutely.

But apart from that Id be happier with new titles in Metroid, Luigis Mansion, Wave Race etc

Wil348

If Nintendo did Melee HD, they would basically be opening Pandora's box.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mario Galaxy HD with Galaxy 2 levels thrown in as well, with normal controls.

KAL2006

Banned
I'd like to see the following

Mario Collection (all 4 player co op games)
- NSMB Wii
- NSMB U
- Mario 3D World

Metroid Prime Trilogy
- has option for pointer controls or standard

Pikmin Trilogy
- option for pointer or standard controls

Donkey Kong Country Returns Collection
- First one has the extra features from 3DS version
- Character selection for 1 player for both games

Yoshi and Poochy Wooly World + Kirby Epic Yarn
- Yoshi game has all new features from 3DS version

Bayonetta 1 and 2

Paper Mario Trilogy
- Paper Mario TTYD
- Super Paper Mario
- Paper Mario Color Splash

Mario Galaxy 1+2+Sunshine

Zelda Collection
- Wind Waker HD
- Twilight Princess HD
- Skyward Sword

Zelda 2D
- Triforce Heroes
- A Link Between Worlds

Xenpblade X and Wii

I think that's all we need. Other games like Luigi's Mansion, Punch Out etc can just the released as standalone virtual console games.

Axiology

I agree that it would be great for Nintendo to milk HD remasters (Melee would be an especially welcome addition), but I also would like to see them port more Wii U games to the system (if only digitally), since the Switch is almost definitely going to have higher sales.

There are so many gems that people aren't gonna get a chance to play...

Im with OP on this one

Lets get everything they can available digital and portable

Farm it out to good porting studios so people can stop bitching about resources lost

Lets do this

Don't care about re-release of WiiU games since I have a WiiU, but I'll buy a Switch just for Galaxy HD collection with non-motion controls.

Scrawnton

Honestly, instead of VC I'd rather they just HD port the heavy hitters. Sunshine, Luigis Mansion, Marlee, Pikmins, port of the Zelda hd games form Wii U, and toss in some surprises like Baten Kaitos and Metroid Prime.

kyo2004

Sorry... Wrong thread... :/...

On topic: Galaxy 1+2 and Prime Trilogy remaster are OK to me.. :)

Melee for VC (the remaster will break the competitive scene, that's for sure)...

they should but we all know it makes too much sense for nintendo to do it, so i wont hold my breath.

also some fans are punching their balls in rage knowing that some remasters are part of the launch year line up, imaging if more were to come. i think is a dumb mentality and stance to take, a lot of good games are just going to die with the WiiU and is not like you save any money if you can find them anyways might as well pay the full price for a better version of it.

lol @ the detractors

I personally love access to a robust rolling library

Even PSN and XBL are pretty much building a massive legacy library to inch us closer and closer to the gold standard that is STEAM

Its not like it takes away from the creation of new games

Most companies sub contract the work out

It's so upsetting not seeing more Kid Icarus: Uprising HD requests, that's probably my favorite 3DS game, possibly my favorite handheld game of all time.

Though I will admit, Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy on the go would be fantastic too.

But we need some more Pit love in here, c'mon guys.

That would be so terrible. Unless there's some kind of DRM system that would allow everyone who purchased those GameCube Joy-Con to get some free GameCube games with them.
No. They can come up with an alternative solution. Those of us who want analog triggered joy cons will buy those.

BTA

Xenoblade would be helpful so I can play 2- I don't have an N3DS and my Wii U is my family's, so I have no way to easily play it.

I loved X so I'm happy there's a rumored port for others, but I'd like to play the original.

meppi

What I'd actually love to see myself is Virtual Console games for the GameCube, Wii and Wii U getting retail releases on carts for the Switch.
Digital downloads are convenient and all, but it's just not the same.

If Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy and F-Zero GX got remastered that would be absolutely fantastic but hat chances of that happening are slim to none.

It's so upsetting not seeing more Kid Icarus: Uprising HD requests, that's probably my favorite 3DS game, possibly my favorite handheld game of all time.

Though I will admit, Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy on the go would be fantastic too.

Right there with ya, bud. Fantastic game, favorite on the 3DS. It deserves another chance.

Eumi

That sounds like it would be an awful decision for their image right now. People already scoff at the switch's big launch game being a Wii u port, I can't imagine focusing on older games that people already played is going to convince people to buy the thing.

Metroid

With xenoblade 2 releasing, I can totally see a HD remake of the first one happening. Just give it to Tantalus.

KAL2006

Banned

Problem with remastering 3DS games they won't look as good in comparison to Wii HD remasters and Wii U ports. It also doesn't help Kid Icarus is a standalone game so they can't even release it in a collection. At best it would be great if they had 3DS remastered selection on the E Store.

EraErr0r1

I made this long before the NX was revealed as the Switch. Hell, a man can dream!

Mg4LViI.jpg

The only HD remaster I'd really be on board for would be Skyward Sword, as I haven't played it, but I've always wanted to. Other than that, give me new games.

MAX PAYMENT

This game needs ports of every major 1st party wii u game.

No one bought the wii u, but it had some great game that deserve a much larger audience if the switch it successfull.

I still feel like Nintendo is the only company that''s still trying to make great games first. Everyone else is chasing graphics and making games with very little substance.

Please kick ass with the switch, nintendo.

Lgndryhr

I'd like some Wii U titles ported since I skipped the Wii U like Bayonetta 1&2, Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, Star Fox Zero (better controls), Tekken Tag 2, and Wooly World. I'd take sequels or ports to Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Pokken, and Hyrule Warriors.

For Wii titless, I'd take Metroid Prime trilogy,
Super Mario Galaxy 1& 2, Super Mario All-Stars or something similar, No More Heroes 1&2, Mad World, Kirby Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword (never played it), and another sin & punishmentt.

I'd love to see Gameboy and if possible DS games.

zelas

I generally appreciate HD remasters. But if they're going to take away dev resources, that Nintendo needs desperately to make new games to fill out its third party-less library, then they should 100% not milk remasters. They haven't shown any sign that they're able to keep up with HD development.

Problem with remastering 3DS games they won't look as good in comparison to Wii HD remasters and Wii U ports. It also doesn't help Kid Icarus is a standalone game so they can't even release it in a collection. At best it would be great if they had 3DS remastered selection on the E Store.

Absolutely disagree. Look at images of the game on Citra, it looks incredible in HD even without any replaced textures. You could put it in a 3DS HD remaster collection with OoT and MM HD even.

Probably the toughest thing will be reworking the control scheme but a combination of gyro and dual analog similar to Splatoon should work just fine. It's just a damn shame so many people were turned off from this game by the controls, it's an absolute masterpiece. I still rank it in my top 3 Nintendo games of all time.

It makes me so excited to see what else Sakurai could cook up.

JohnWest

I agree with OP, it bothered me that they didn't do more of those on WiiU given how they were limited in dev capacity and had to support the game all by themselves..
Anyway, I'd toss in Baten Kaitos HD, Xenoblade HD and some smaller 3rd party games would be nice for remasters, too.. Muramasa HD or Okami HD or something..

i-Jest

As long as I have the option to use a pro controller with these remasters then sure. I don't understand why Skyward Sword didn't have this.

Top Bottom