• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to milk the hell out of HD remasters on Switch

Lgndryhr

I don't think anybody disagrees, however, a relatively cheap way to increase their library in between their gaps of new games is to fill them with HD remasters. Have a 3rd party studio dedicated to this task.

My thoughts exactly. Perfect way to fill gaps and keep us interested.

Nintendo needs new games

OMG guys

Nintendo doesnt need to do this themselves

They can do what everyone else does and sub it out or put new blood that needs to get their feet wet on it

Creating a persistent ecosystem of old games does not equal the destruction of creating new ones

Glass Joe

Nintendo needs new games

Nintendo needs both! With their home/portable divisions consolidated, certainly they could put their B-team / interns on profitable HD remasters. Or farm them out. As the OP's screen shots show, the art style of many of their titles looks great with a simple resolution bump.

But... does anyone know how Wii-based games with pointer controls would work? The camera (at the bottom) of the joycon I don't think is designed to point at the screen. There appears to be no port on the switch dock for a tv sensor either.

No analogues for Gamecube, no pointer for Wii... I suppose the B-team would have some redesign issues to solve for each title.

I agree 100% with the OP. Fill in spaces between new releases with HD remasters of N64, GCN and Wii games

I need Galaxy HD. I need Prime Trilogy HD.

Semajer

I think there's so much they can add to older games, portables in particular, to make them fresh again. Gameboy games could be given GBC colour schemes, rumble, 3D support, and updated control schemes. Link's Awakening DX with the shield, power bracelet, and pegasus boots assigned to the shoulder buttons, and the sword to the b button would fix nearly every flaw I have with that game.

Newer games from the DS era could have their online content restored and analogue stick controls implemented, saving games like Super Mario 64 DS from the restraints of the original hardware. Although I suppose there will always be problems with games that rely on specific hardware features, like the dual screens.

Why would I buy a remastered Paper Mario when I can buy an all-new game instead?

Buying a remastered Paper Mario game gets you something good like TTYD, buying an all-new game gets you trash like Sticker Star.

People these days can't tell the difference between a remake and a remaster. Only 2 of those games are remastered.

Clearly. All those Zelda games are remasters, only Fire Emblem is a remake. I'm not familiar with SF643D, I don't know if it's just an updated N64 port or a remake.

Davey Cakes

they should but we all know it makes too much sense for nintendo to do it, so i wont hold my breath.
I also believe that Nintendo would find moderate success and build a lot of fan goodwill by doing more HD remasters. It does "make too much sense" and Nintendo is sometimes terrible at doing what seems obvious.

That said, it's also a matter of resources. Over the years I've always been willing to call Nintendo out on not taking certain initiatives but I've also come to terms with the fact that they're not a massive company and that they're very modest about expanding.

Just getting M2 and NERD on Virtual Console has been huge. We can't forget Tantalus on HD ports such as Twilight Princess. But, it's not enough to pump out a ridiculous amount of titles. They still have to pick and choose.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't think anybody disagrees, however, a relatively cheap way to increase their library in between their gaps of new games is to fill them with HD remasters. Have a 3rd party studio dedicated to this task.

Or they could simply release GameCube titles on VC.

With their home/portable divisions consolidated, certainly they could put their B-team / interns on profitable HD remasters

Their home and portable divisions are not consolidated.

Or they could simply release GameCube titles on VC.

I would not be interested in playing these games emulated at their original specs.

I mean the least they can do is port and up the resolution and framerates to their first party Wii U games.

Give me definitive versions of N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, and 3DS for the ultimate console/handheld hybrid. It would be a must buy for gamers.

Jubenhimer

Please, no. I'd rather Nintendo focus giving us new games and new experiences, instead of trying to rehash their past as much as possible. HD remasters and re-releases are fine in moderation, but don't make them a major focus. I don't want the Switch to become a Nintendo port machine.

clem84

Gold Member
If it helps Nintendo being successful, then yes, I hope they do it. Personally, I don't have much interest in them.

Except 2 on your list I would want.

- XBC. OMG absolutely. I would play it completely all over again.

- F-Zero GX. A better looking version of an already perfect game. Yes please!

Mediking

It's funny... you'd think Nintendo would wanna have like 2-5 HD remasters on Switch between its 1st and 2nd year... hopefully we see some at E3.

I would be happy if they outsourced some of these but id also be equally happy if they just rereleased GameCube and Wii games as is on Switch Virtual Console and charged like $15 a pop. Especially on a 6.2" LCD these would look nice enough. Maybe repurpose some Wii games with slightly modified control schemes but they don't need to be fully upscaled.

Considering I skipped the Wii/WiiU/3DS, there are plenty of games that I'd buy if they were to get an HD version.

Zelda OOT3D,MM3D,LBW,WWHD,TPHD (Hell just make a new collector's edition)

DKCR 1-2

Mario Galaxy 1-2, 3D Land/World, Super Paper Mario

Pokemon everything

Metroid Prime Trilogy again

With the new portable platform they could have a division solely for porting/updating the last two generations of first party titles and still be profitable.

Think of it like future proofing and Steam, games shouldn't end with their system.

Kacho

I'd love to see remasters of Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, and the Metroid Prime for sure. MAN I hope we get an HD remaster of Skyward Sword at the very least. It would be a lot of work but if they found a way to make it work without motion controls and cut back on the hand-holdy stuff it would be much better game IMO.

I'd also like to see Nintendo release most of the games they put out on Wii U on the Switch. Not many people got a chance to play them so it would be nice if they were given another shot on the Switch.

a916

Nah... Nintendo released two HD remasters of Zelda games before an actual Zelda game dropped (of which got pushed to their next console)... no thanks, give me something new that I want.

trixx

Melee HD sounds great but the game would have to be near perfect to get the fans to migrate? I'm not sure too sure about that tbh. Could sell quite a bit, but the moment people hear it as being a "bad" port, it's pretty much done isn't it. Maybe just virtual console port

also i'd rather get new games, thanks

Chao

Sure, let's keep playing the xbox360/ps3/wii generation games over and over again until we lose our fucking minds.

NEW GAMES, NEW IPS FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Splatoon is singlehandedly the best thing Nintendo has done in decades software wise because its a new game, with original gameplay, based in a new ip. It's been not even 2 years since it came out and it's among Nintendo classic franchises, they're even in Mario Kart now!

We need more risks and original games like this. More stuff like ARMS, stop with the rehashing already.

Sami+

You'd seriously think people on NeoGAF of all places would know that "truly fresh and original new IP" and "remaster" isn't a binary choice for publishers.

DavidDesu

Old ports or new games... why not both? I seriously don't think a company like Nintendo with the vast reserves of cash at their disposal would find it all that difficult to get remasters made, most likely via outsourcing. They would obviously pay for themselves and make a tidy profit, which is extra money they can pump back into all those new games people want so badly. Ports will do little, if any harm at all to the timescales for future games!

Red Devil

The GameCube sure made a number on people, strangely Eternal Darkness was omitted in this case.

While I understand the others, I still don't get people wanting Melee HD.

how would pointer controls work for Galaxy and Prime Trilogy?

The same way? By the looks of it the Joy-Con can fill the role.

Plus besides being relatively cheap to make, these games can also be fairly dependable sellers. This gives them more reliable capital to invest in or cushion losses from riskier new game projects.

Not that they are logical, but the only logical way to do Gamecube VC on the Switch is to release a set of Gamecube Joy-Cons with analog triggers, a tiny d pad and the works.

FZZ

Banned
If there is ever Paper Mario TTYD

Or Melee HD

I'd nut enough to raise the sea levels on the planet brehs

darklin0

Banned
I want them to put more resources into new games but I wont lie; I would buy a Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered set.

I don't mind HD remasters, but I don't think Nintendo needs to do that. Just keep on focusing on new games and VC and throw a random HD remaster here and there and I'm good with that.

el jacko

Rather than straight-up HD ports, I'd be more interested in an F-Zero GX "remaster" with extras. An F-Zero GX 1.5 where the original game is the "expert" mode and a more forgiving, easier play style is also available so beginnners aren't so alienated by the game. Add a new set of tracks and a decent marketing campaign and it'll sell gangbusters!

Basically, the GX engine is perfect and doesn't need serious changes, and many of the environments are beautiful as is. HD texture upgrades probably mean the work of a whole new game, though.

I just want more fzero :(

I would buy all of those, but I don't want these at the cost of new things

Skyward Sword would be great, but it's hard to divorce that game from motion controls

Top Bottom