• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America: Your Boxart is Rubbish

6zowph.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
what a truly original creative background

Alex

24pdojs.jpg

A bit off topic, and not trying to turn this into "first person to post Megaman 1 box wins" thread, but I've always wanted to see the Japanese Phantasy Star 2 boxart, as the US/EU one always horrified me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nofi said:
Thread title is wrong.

Should be "America: Your Boxart is Rubbish". I hate importing US games because the boxart is usually a total mess.

Agreed. Moving to japan is the best thing that has ever happened to the look of my game library.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
For some reason us Americans have to get watered down box arts because apparently we don't usually know anything about the games we are buying. The box art helps explain everything clearly. That's why they change them, otherwise we might get confused if we don't see a gun, or an explosion or cars racing on the cover. Hmmm Metroid? What's this a puzzle game with a space man?

Concept17

9vfk40.jpg

Ya know... I've never played the game, but the one in the corner has a different helmet...different samus? or is there another samus-like character in the game?

Alex said:
24pdojs.jpg

A bit off topic, and not trying to turn this into "first person to post Megaman 1 box wins" thread, but I've always wanted to see the Japanese Phantasy Star 2 boxart, as the US/EU one always horrified me.

250px-Phantasy_Star_II_cover.jpg

I actually have the US version sitting on my shelf right now.

If this thread proved anything is that there has been no good Metroid game covers. MP3 EU was mediocre, so is the Japan one.

Hugs first edition EU ICO.

bjork

That post with all the metroid covers is missing the Metroid Prime cover for the K-Mart exclusive that came with the guidebook./snob

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Simple is better, people, too crowded boxarts usually end up being a mess.

Ratchet is so cute in the Japanese covers.

No comments on Shiren, it's vomit inducing putting that so close to the one with Akiman artwork.

And poor Kirby, the angry thing is ridiculous. :lol

Alex said:
24pdojs.jpg

Actually this one is pretty good. It looks nothing like the game but the cover reminds me a lot of pulp scifi novels.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
As a yuuurooopeeeaaan I'm used to being screwed by game companies, but man I'm glad we often get different covers compared to the american ones which four times out of five looks like shit.

Oh, and :lol at that angry kriby and Ico-comparison :lol

At least our No More Heroes box is better.
nmhboxxj2.gif
nomore1214072.jpg

And SMG is fine as it is.

And damn, the JP boxart for Kirby Canvas Curse is awesome.

Fuu

^ That's what I'm talking about. The NA NMH cover is simple and eye-catching. The Japanese one has too much stuff.

And using artwork > than using renders.

Gwanatu T

Alaluef said:
^ That's what I'm talking about. The NA NMH cover is simple and eye-catching. The Japanese one has too much stuff.

And using artwork > than using renders.

Usually, yes, but that sure as hell wasn't the case with Ratchet :lol

lol @ Kirby and Ico. Those Kirby box arts are all real, unaltered box arts? Dear Lord, what's the deal?

Fuu

Gwanatu T said:
Usually, yes, but that sure as hell wasn't the case with Ratchet :lol
I like the first two Japanese ones better, but that's just me thinking Ratchet looks cute on them. :lol

NekoFever

Ico will always be the ultimate American box art failure for me. I adore the Japanese/PAL art but the American one is hideous :lol

Phantom Hourglass is another one. I really like the Japanese art (my UK copy is the same, only obviously in English) but the US one sucks. It's not the worst I've seen, but comparatively speaking it's not great.

Remember what happend with Shenmue II on Xbox?

This is the Dreamcast Version (PAL)

And this is the porting on Xbox. Maybe it's the same who drawn the Ico packshot from USA...

Both the MP:3 covers are shit. Nintendo should really try some minimalist stuff, or at least start letting me pay extra for a tin case that just has a logo on it.

Wizpig

99% of American Boxart is real fun to watch at.
It's like while making the art they say "artworks are for losers, just use cool 3d graphixxx and put an explosion or two right there".
Obviously sometimes Japanese and PAL boxart fail too [see Japanese MPHunters cover] but that's usually when that game is sure to fail at sales in that country [again, watch MPHunters in japan, in my opinion they thought it would sell like shit because it's an FPS... strangely enough it sold pretty good]

Also, here's one of the best boxart ever.

250px-Pikmin_2_Case.jpg

and here's the "lol, we should put violent battles in the cover" american one

Pikmin_2_Case.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wizpig said:
Also, here's one of the best boxart ever.

[Pikmin 2 JP]

and here's the "lol, we should put violent battles in the cover" american one

[Pikmin 2 US]
Eh, it's not too bad. At least they used one of the clay diorama things instead of character renders, like so many other US boxarts.

sublime085 said:
And damn, the JP boxart for Kirby Canvas Curse is awesome.
It's cool, but I actually prefer the US version's abstract art and color cacophony. Only thing wrong with it is, well, you know.
Laurent said:
Ohhh, and this isn't from Japan but:
A) You have shit taste.
B) You're going to get b& once those gold-frog. :(

So if you draw a line

USA box art:
- simple in-game assets
- angry faces
- full of action

Jap box arts:
- detailed concept art/cartoon pictures
- smiling faces