• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America: Your Boxart is Rubbish

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
inthegray said:
did you just grab all those images from my wii fanboy post? i spent hours finding and resizing those -- glad they could be of use to someone else!

much better!
ha yeah most of them, thanks for the hard work!

probune

I love these boxart threads whining about NA covers like all PAL/Japan covers are awesome. Not always. Sometimes we get screwed and sometimes all the covers are hideous.

Oh yeah and angry kirby always makes me lawl.

Mesijs

RE4 Wii has a GREAT PAL boxart. Happy I'm no yank.

boxshot_uk_large.jpg
boxshot_us_large.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, four pages supposedly about bitching out Nintendo's American coverart without doing the Minish Cap comparison? For shame.

Gagaman

The American Saturn covers were some of the worst of the bunch :lol

GuardianHeroes1.jpg

To..

guardian_heroes_cover-USA.jpg

Mind you, PAL covers quite often suffer from "lets just slap a bunch of promo art of random characters on there and call it a day"..

250px-Guardian_Heroes.PNG

Victrix

*beard*
Dear god

Normally I like to make fun of obsessive compulsive box condition/greatest hits type nerdery, but *jesus* there are some horrible, horrible, awful, inexcusable rapings of great art in the transition.

What the hell possesses these companies to do that sort of butchery consistently, year after year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miniboss1232 said:
:lol That one just kills me!

edit: Though I wouldn't have minded have the green tophat Kirby instead. Perhaps with a monocle.
Righto:
palkirby.jpg

OH GOD THE DIFFERENCES ARE KILLING ME!
wariowaresmboxes.png

zoukka

Lol I actually prefer the Yankee cover of RE4. The PAL-version looks like shit. The original GC-cover was cool, but that's just copy-paste trees and OMG black and white is styliz.

nbcjr

crispyben said:
Look, the red one and the green one seem angry on the JP version, but not on the US version :lol Does anyone know the reason for this switcheroo?

if you look closely pink one and red one were changed, they are pixel-perfect copies with diferent colors

hirokazu

MidiSurf said:
BTW is there explanation for this -->

US:
WiiCollection.jpg

vs

EU:

DSC02719.jpg

Why do we have this dull and lame standard spine text ? :(
Dunno, but if it bothers you so much, import the Australian Wii games, they have PAL discs, but a lot of them use the US version boxart. For example, our WarioWare Smooth Moves has the pink box.

hirokazu

MidiSurf said:

US:
WiiCollection.jpg

vs

EU:

DSC02719.jpg

Dunno, but if it bothers you so much, import the Australian Wii games, they have PAL discs, but a lot of them use the US version boxart, including the spine. For example, our WarioWare Smooth Moves has the pink box.

MidiSurf

Banned
hirokazu said:
Dunno, but if it bothers you so much, import the Australian Wii games, they have PAL discs, but a lot of them use the US version boxart. For example, our WarioWare Smooth Moves has the pink box.

Are you crazy ! Games cost like zillions of dollars in Australia, even the euro versions are too expensive in my opinion. But i will import Wii from US soon as the Wii madness fades away and you can actually buy one with reasonable price.

I sold my euro wii just few days ago and started buying US-games for my future US Wii <3. NMH + Zack & Wiki + Ghost Squad = 81€

In europe the same set cost well over 100€ (160€ in Finland), so i will get cheaper games and cooler boxs.

Oh and same set in Australia is like one million dollars.

... And would it be crazy to just order the JP-version of NMH just for the manuals :D ? They are soooo coool.

EDIT:

81€ = 118 $
160€ = 233 $

NekoFever

Goldrusher said:
Same goes for PlayStation games.
Yeah, and DS games as well. Since they use those fat cases for UK DS games (I assume to accommodate the multilingual manuals) as well as the plain text it makes my shelf look weird.

I was going to post a picture of my mixed-region PS2 collection. The Japanese and US ones all look different, while the PAL ones are just black Arial text on a white spine. I only have one PAL PS3 game (Resistance) and that seems to be splitting the difference by having the plain text but with the artwork wrapping around from the front in the background.

Gagaman

MidiSurf said:

US:
WiiCollection.jpg

vs

EU:

DSC02719.jpg

This doesn't just happen with Wii games, but with games on most other consoles as well, like the PS2.

Xater

Mesijs said:
RE4 Wii has a GREAT PAL boxart. Happy I'm no yank.

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/6558/boxshot_uk_large.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/6558/boxshot_us_large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Americans love their shitty render covers you know...:lol

I am glad most of the time we get the original cover in the EU. Even Zelda: PH has the Japanese cover.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
AniHawk said:
They're both bad and it's a shitty game anyway so you shouldn't care.

You know, you shouldn't say stuff you know is wrong. The game is great and the Jap/EU-cover looks great. So there.

nny

(oh, look at my Wii games. ...reminded me I have to get Zack and Wiki..or Whack Nazi Kid, as I like to call it now). Anyway, I like the PAL spine text...with the exception of the random capitalization. I like the sober way the games look when in a shelf, like the PS2 games do.

noire said:

come on! :lol :lol

The Plain Text on the EU spines, is because of the amount of languages they need to translate for. They obviously don't make international horizontally designed logos in different languages.

tanod

when is my burrito
speedpop said:
I dunno about Nintendo, but I sure know that Sony fuck up horribly at times.

ico-4-covers.jpg

Pick the odd one out.

I can remember looking at that box art back in the early launch drought of PS2 when there was nothing out there for games. I kept thinking that it was probably the stupidest looking box art I've ever seen. Still haven't ever played it but I'd like to some day.

Stupid Sony

The_Dude

MidiSurf said:
What really annoys me is that the majority of PAL Xbox 360 games have the proper logo and background on the spine, but EA and Ubisoft (could be others as well) insist on crappy plain black text on a white background. Why?

Oh. My. God.

That Shiren US boxart has the be the most gut wrenchingly horrible thing I've seen all year.

Jesus Christ.

Did they hire some crappy DA high school kid who specializes in drawing crappy Inuyasha fan art to do that boxart? =/

It seriously looks like someones really crappy fan art.

Tellaerin

sublime085 said:
At least our No More Heroes box is better.
nmhboxxj2.gif
nomore1214072.jpg

No it's not.

The Japanese boxart projects this nice movie-poster vibe. A dude with shades (with a lightsaber, no less) and a hot chick posed against a West Coast backdrop, in these affectedly 'cool' poses that give it a slightly over-the-top feel. Like a poster for some tongue-in-cheek action flick.

I look at the other one and think, 'OMG, some guy's trying to kill me with a fluorescent bulb!' :p

Top Bottom