• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2 lineup; Zelda OOT 3DS = June 19, Wii Play: Motion, Mystery Case Files Wii

ksamedi

ShockingAlberto said:
The Wii being done for and Nintendo rushing a new system to launch is not necessarily an immediate cause-and-effect and scenario.

Nintendo has two problems with launching a successor in the next 400 days:

A) All of their teams are busy with a new system, thus they don't have the time to throw in game development for another new system company wide.

B) The same tact they used with the 3DS (launch light, let third parties hold the banner) won't work because the DS was popular and well-liked by third parties and the Wii was not. It will be an uphill struggle to get third parties to even think about formidable efforts on a new Nintendo console, because they left their hand on the oven and complained that Nintendo did not warn them it was hot.

This while Nintendo is still trying to convince them that, hey, don't look at that NGP thing. That will hurt you just like the last one. Stay here. We have 3D. Iphones are for hipsters. C'mon, baby, we've been good to you.

They can't afford, in many meanings of the word, to launch a new system THIS FALL. It is delusional on a scale that I can't put in to words.

I don't think Wii 2 will happen anytime soon but they have expanded their workforce by quite a bit these last few years.

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:
I don't think it will happen but they have expanded their workforce by quite a bit these last few years.

When it comes to the Wii's successor, the biggest question is, "Where are the big teams?" If you can account for them, largely, on the Wii or 3DS then we're not getting a successor anytime soon.

[Nintex]

I'm not sure if Nintendo will launch a console this year but I do think that Iwata has to tell his investors why they've spend 1.5+ billion on R&D during 2009/2010/2011. They didn't need to 'invent' the 3DS screen because that was all Sharp. The other components don't come near that ammount of money for R&D either For example in 2006 Nintendo spend 103 million in R&D, they're spending five times as much these days. I believe Nintendo's most expensive game was reported to be Twilight Princess with a budget of $20+ million. There's almost no games coming for Wii and Nintendo is spending more money(596 million R&D in 2011 alone) so they have to work on something big for at least 3 years now.

Blazblue 3DS is nice. 3D makes it look like a storybook, but sacrifices a little framerate in doing so. Regardless, it's an awesome port and has a fuck ton of content.

[Nintex] said:
I'm not sure if Nintendo will launch a console this year but I do think that Iwata has to tell his investors why they've spend 1.5+ billion on R&D during 2009/2010/2011.
Nintendo would have nothing to say about that - they are ALWAYS working on new technologies, new consoles. They've been working on a Wii followup for 4 years now, and a 3DS followup is probably just starting. They start working on the followup console right after the previous one is released. And even teams that aren't working directly on a new console are constantly experimenting with various technologies, which if they end up good enough might make it into a game console or handheld.

Effect said:
Seriously. Conduit 2 and Dragon Quest X are it. The 3DS is a different story but even on that front we are seeing some western publishers do an about face by either delaying/canceling games, saying they are starting over, etc. This would have happen even if the 3DS was sold out I think as many I believe were just playing lip service to the system.

First, which games does this refer to? BloodRayne and Saints Row?

Secondly, it's a handheld. You will never see good support from Western third parties for a handheld, absent a complete sea change in the industry. It has very little to do with 3DS being a Nintendo platform.

Barrett2

[Nintex] said:
I'm not sure if Nintendo will launch a console this year but I do think that Iwata has to tell his investors why they've spend 1.5+ billion on R&D during 2009/2010/2011. They didn't need to 'invent' the 3DS screen because that was all Sharp. The other components don't come near that ammount of money for R&D either For example in 2006 Nintendo spend 103 million in R&D, they're spending five times as much these days. I believe Nintendo's most expensive game was reported to be Twilight Princess with a budget of $20+ million. There's almost no games coming for Wii and Nintendo is spending more money(596 million R&D in 2011 alone) so they have to work on something big for at least 3 years now.

That vitality sensor must be some bad-ass tech after pouring $1 billion into it.

Wii2, controlled with your mind!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ShockingAlberto said:
A) All of their teams are busy with a new system, thus they don't have the time to throw in game development for another new system company wide.

And, as I've said in other threads, there is absolutely no evidence that this is true. None. We have no clue if they're working on other games for a new console and how far in development they may be. We also know that Nintendo has expanded their development teams. The Wii release list has been scattered at best over the past year or so and the future list is even more bleak. There's no way they're all working on 3DS games--I just can't see it happening. It doesn't make sense.

ShockingAlberto said:
B) The same tact they used with the 3DS (launch light, let third parties hold the banner) won't work because the DS was popular and well-liked by third parties and the Wii was not. It will be an uphill struggle to get third parties to even think about formidable efforts on a new Nintendo console, because they left their hand on the oven and complained that Nintendo did not warn them it was hot.

They can't afford, in many meanings of the word, to launch a new system THIS FALL. It is delusional on a scale that I can't put in to words.

If they've been working on software like a next-gen Smash Bros. they could easily launch without much 3rd-party support. Also, we've heard vague comments like the one from the SFIV developer about cross-compatibility appearing at E3. Likely talking about PS3/NGP, but we don't know for sure.

I don't believe they'll release this fall but I think a Spring/Summer 2012 release is likely. That gives the 3DS a year to establish itself before the console hits.

donny2112

Kifimbo said:
16iwm5y.jpg

If there are some good sales for this at launch (e.g. 10/15 GCs/Amazon credit), may just pick it up for whenever I get a 3DS. Gold boxes rock. :D

notworksafe

Cave Story 3DS comes out on my birthday, so I'll have to get that!

Here's hoping there's a Zelda branded 3DS system as well. Doesn't even have to come with the game, as I'm not interested in playing OOT yet again.

Vinci

Danish
Plinko said:
And, as I've said in other threads, there is absolutely no evidence that this is true. None. We have no clue if they're working on other games for a new console and how far in development they may be. We also know that Nintendo has expanded their development teams. The Wii release list has been scattered at best over the past year or so and the future list is even more bleak. There's no way they're all working on 3DS games--I just can't see it happening. It doesn't make sense.

As I said before: I have no doubt that Nintendo is working on something for the Wii's successor. But working on stuff and being ready to launch it are two very different things. If we can account for where the big teams are, and what they are doing, then the Wii successor is not coming soon. It's that simple. They're not going to leave the Wii 2 to fail or succeed based on products created by new teams. It will need the best Nintendo has to offer. Just go down the list and see where each of the big guys are.

Sadist said:
So, OoT 3DS isn't even internally developed by Nintendo but Grezzo.

What the fudge is Nintendo up to?
People complain when Nintendo's Wii teams are making 3DS games, but the one 3DS game that should be made by Wii team people is being outsourced while the team works on a Wii game and everyone acts surprised.

Septy

There's no way they can support a home console alone, while also developing for their handheld. They need to start making deals, or moneyhats to get other companies to come on board.

The number 1 selling console of this generation having no third party support is embarasing.

Vinci

Danish
Septy said:
There's no way they can support a home console alone, while also developing for their handheld. They need to start making deals, or moneyhats to get other companies to come on board.

The number 1 selling console of this generation having no third party support is embarasing.

Embarrassing in what respect? To the company that made billions off of the system, or those who failed to do so?

Septy

Vinci said:
Embarrassing in what respect? To the company that made billions off of the system, or those who failed to do so?

Well perhaps they could use some of those billions to better support their system. It's the third system in a row with little to no third-party support and severe first-party droughts.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:
People complain when Nintendo's Wii teams are making 3DS games, but the one 3DS game that should be made by Wii team people is being outsourced while the team works on a Wii game and everyone acts surprised.
Hehe.

Can't deny I'm surprised, but after it was revealed that Monster Games was behind Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs & Cats is the only game developed by an internal team. I find that interesting. If Ocarina of Time 3D is good, I'm not complaining. (I played the demo, it was cool so)

Tobor

/Looks at 3DS lineup.

Still no games worth buying the system for. I don't know what Nintendo's up to, but I guess I should thank them for helping me continue to not spend $250.

wrowa

ShockingAlberto said:
Eh. People simply expected that EAD3's established handheld team is working on OoT3DS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vinci said:
As I said before: I have no doubt that Nintendo is working on something for the Wii's successor. But working on stuff and being ready to launch it are two very different things. If we can account for where the big teams are, and what they are doing, then the Wii successor is not coming soon. It's that simple. They're not going to leave the Wii 2 to fail or succeed based on products created by new teams. It will need the best Nintendo has to offer. Just go down the list and see where each of the big guys are.

Can we account for everything they're doing? Why in the world do you think they'd be forthcoming about what they were doing if they wanted to make a surprise announcement?

Vinci

Danish
Septy said:
Well perhaps they could use some of those billions to better support their system. It's the third system in a row with little to no third-party support and severe first-party droughts.

The moment they designed the Wii in the manner they did, they basically doomed themselves from having the sort of 3rd party support you would likely want. Once the die had been cast, it was over.

Plinko said:
Can we account for everything they're doing? Why in the world do you think they'd be forthcoming about what they were doing if they wanted to make a surprise announcement?

We've got some members on GAF who are abnormally aware of what Nintendo is doing a good portion of the time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Vinci said:

A lot of their big teams are working on unknown projects. EAD (Kyoto) Group 4 and 5, EAD (Tokyo) Group 2, Nintendo Software Technology, Retro, Monolith, etc. with a bunch of their out-sourcing teams free to work on stuff. Also the development teams working on known titles right now are mostly only developing one title (supposively) when they are usually working on at least two projects at once.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Also where the fuck is Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. It came out in Japan on July 15, 2010 but still no info about it coming to the US or not.

I swear if they do another "Let's release one game but not the other one that is very important to the story" like they did by not releasing Fire Emblem Sword of Seals to the US I'm going to be very pissed.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
JP- August 7, 2008
NA- February 16, 2009

I still want to believe...

June 19th, will be asking for the date off at work(I work in video game retail) and will just sit at home and play the greatest game of all time...in 3D! OoT 3DS get!

Vinci

Danish
Skiesofwonder said:
A lot of their big teams are working on unknown projects. EAD (Kyoto) Group 4 and 5, EAD (Tokyo) Group 2, Nintendo Software Technology, Retro, Monolith, etc. with a bunch of their out-sourcing teams free to work on stuff. Also the development teams working on known titles right now are mostly only developing one title (supposively) when they are usually working on at least two projects at once.

Retro's not going to have anything for a while, much less a launch. Monolith? We'd never get it in the States anyway. So two or three EAD teams are up in the air?

Plinko

Skiesofwonder said:

DKC 3DS, please.

donny2112

Vinci said:
The moment they designed the Wii in the manner they did, they basically doomed themselves from having the sort of 3rd party support

Which is why it's reasonable to expect that a Wii 2 that's easily portable from PS360 would get those easy ports. Exclusives? Doubtful, until the performance of the ports is seen.

Really surprised that OoT3D is outsourced. More internal studios working on AR games, then?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
djtiesto said:
Thought that Nintendo wanted to localize some Japanese games to fill in the gaps of the Wii and DS lineup...? Don't really see much of that there, sadly :(

Thats what I was hoping to see but alas nothing. PKMNs a month old now and with nothing through June that'll be like 3 months without publishing a DS game. Guess I shouldn't have got my hopes up for Starfy 4 & Kirby ;_; I'd prolly even take PKMN Typing at this point lol.

wrowa

Showmeyamoves said:
Also where the fuck is Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo - Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu? (Fire Emblem DS 2) It was released in July 15, 2010 but still no info about it coming to the US or not.

I swear if they do another "Let's release one game but not the other one that is very important to the story" like they did by not releasing Fire Emblem Sword of Seals to the US I'm going to be very pissed.
Thank you, you just made me remember that there's a fan-translation for the first GBA FE. So even if Nintendo doesn't localize the second DS game, I still have a FE game I can look forward to playing. :D

Leondexter said:
Have they? It sure doesn't show.

Because they're all working on Wii 2 games, lol.

I haven't ruled it out yet, there does seem to be room to provide the equivalent of the Wii's launch line up at the very least.

donny2112

DarthButcher said:
On the Wii 2 discussion, I think we might see an announcement this year, but it will not be released any later than 2012.

Yeah, basically. Would've been nice for Japan to have it in 2011, but that has been off the table since before 3DS's launch was pushed back to February.

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:
Which is why it's reasonable to expect that a Wii 2 that's easily portable from PS360 would get those easy ports. Exclusives? Doubtful, until the performance of the ports is seen.

Woo-hoo! More dishonest tests! ;)

Mr.Fresh

Day 1 for zelda even though I don't have a 3DS. Unfortunately I never got to finish it when I played it on N64, I think it was because I was to young haha.

donny2112 said:
Yeah, basically. Would've been nice for Japan to have it in 2011, but that has been off the table since before 3DS's launch was pushed back to February.

Exactly why I'm doubtful that it will be released this year. Normally Nintendo has about a year spacing between releases. Then again, GBA released March 2001 in Japan then the Gamecube came out September 2001. So there is precedent for systems being released shortly after handhelds.

Refugio

Vinci said:
We've got some members on GAF who are abnormally aware of what Nintendo is doing a good portion of the time.

I wonder if they know what Iwata's doing right now :eek:

Lindsay said:
Thats what I was hoping to see but alas nothing. PKMNs a month old now and with nothing through June that'll be like 3 months without publishing a DS game. Guess I shouldn't have got my hopes up for Starfy 4 & Kirby ;_; I'd prolly even take PKMN Typing at this point lol.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a new starfy yet. The last one sold pretty well in the west i think

And I totally want that Pokemon typing game. It probably sucks but i don't care

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
jetjevons said:
Is this, like, the new official slogan for juniors or something?
It's the secret call to tell others that they are from 4chan and that we better watch out, we better not cry, better not pout, I'm tellin' you why; they could DDoS the server in the name of Anonymous or something.

Vinci

Danish
isys said:
I wonder if they know what Iwata's doing right now :eek:

Concocting more plans for world domination while having his pristine hair cut and playing Rhythm Heaven 3DS on his golden 3DS.

Laughing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So much for keeping the original Nintendo DS alive with continued support and backlogged localizations. :/

Top Bottom