• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 2014 Earnings Release (through December 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltz

"How to utilize smart devices is the theme of our management policy conference"

No really, how do we use them? We see people on the train with these "iPhones" all the time? Does anyone know what they are? Miyamoto thinks they might also play games??

Lol, this is so ironic because I remember a time when Japan got all the awesome cell phones compared to what the US was getting and playing all these cool games on them. My how the tables have turned...

Don't worry guys, this totally legitimate insider from 2 weeks ago is here with all the great news we're going to get:

I dunno where to post these following informations and please take it with an grand of salt, but according to a source of mine:

-Nintendo is working for several years on a new System. Not just a gaming system.

-Nintendo Direct is planed for this upcoming week = Mario kart 8 release date, Super smash bros release date, two new game announcements.

-Pokken is real. Pokemon/Tekken. Release date set for September 2014.

-Two Metroid games in development. One almost finished. Releasing Oktober 2014.

-ZeldaU is releasing Holiday 2014. Much darker and mature - u can feel the spirt of majoras mask in it.

-Japanese third partys are gathering closer around Nintendo. New exclusive deal and ips are going to be revealed.

-we are going to see at least 3 old long anticipated franchises from Nintendo this year

-New miyamoto ip. Only information is that there is no information. Kept very secret.

-eshop and retail games are getting cheaper

-Nintendo is going to drop some huge game changing suprises.

Well like i said, take it with a grand of salt, but according in what position my source is working, it seems really trustworthy.

totally real.

That Direct last week sure was great, wasn't it?

Glass Joe

Look at the huge differences in software tie ratios. It's killing the 3DS:

Is there a way to see what the tie ratios were like during this point in time for the Gamecube and DS? We're comparing discontinued platforms to those currently on the market. And unless my logic is flawed, wouldn't current Wii U and 3DS owners be expected to continue to purchase software, driving that ratio up over time?

Guevara

Countdown to Nintendo's Q3 Earnings Presentation:

Q3 2014 Nintendo Earnings Presentation
01/30/14 / 10:00AM JST
01/29/14 / 08:00PM EST

t1391043600z1.png
Getting close now.

So, what's the rationale for thinking they'll ship an additional 400k WiiU units during the next quarter?
That's what they shipped for this period last year and it led them to negative shipments in Europe down the road.

Are they really counting on DKC to push hardware or am I missing another game releasing in the next 2 months?

Shiggy

So, what's the rationale for thinking they'll ship an additional 400k WiiU units during the next quarter?
That's what they shipped for this period last year and it led them to negative shipments in Europe down the road.

Are they really counting on DKC to push hardware or am I missing another game releasing in the next 2 months?

Steel Diver Subwars!!11

Why do people even hype these events? I mean, I know we've heard a couple things in the past -- New Super Mario Bros. 2 comes to mind -- but if Nintendo's focus is on presenting their plans for the mobile market, I doubt we'll hear anything about the 3DS or Wii U beyond how their mobile strategy will refer back to the hardware.

Why do people even hype these events? I mean, I know we've heard a couple things in the past -- New Super Mario Bros. 2 comes to mind -- but if Nintendo's focus is on presenting their plans for the mobile market, I doubt we'll hear anything about the 3DS or Wii U beyond how their mobile strategy will refer back to the hardware.

I'm under the impression that if Nintendo are going to drop the Wii U's gamepad from the box, this is where they'd do that.

Shurayuki

Is there a way to see what the tie ratios were like during this point in time for the Gamecube and DS? We're comparing discontinued platforms to those currently on the market. And unless my logic is flawed, wouldn't current Wii U and 3DS owners be expected to continue to purchase software, driving that ratio up over time?

I shouldn't do this, I'm terrible with numbers.

Nintendo Historical Data
4 fiscal years:

Gamecube
156.30 million software units
18.50 million hardware units

GC Tie ~8.4
WiiU ~ 5.0

DS
369.61 million software units
70.60 million hardware units

DS Tie ~5.2
3DS ~ 3.5

Breemin

conspiracy_keanu_vector_by_epicbzzboy3-d4w7blr.png

I hope for their sake

Me too.

I will never understand the people who want Nintendo to fail. Consumers get absolutely nothing if they fail. Nintendo will always have a place in my heart and I really do hope they pull through this tough time. They always have in the past so I do have hope.

Regardless, I am enjoying my Wii U big time...
The best part of the Wii U is the gamepad. Those that own one I think would agree with me.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Handhelds:

3DS LTD February 26, 2011 > December 31, 2013 (1044 days) = 42.74m (JP: 15.67m, NA/SA: 14.36m, Other: 12.62m) [ 3 holidays]
NDS LTD November 21, 2004 > September 30, 2007 (1043 days) = 53.64m (JP: 19.71m, NA/SA: 16.06m, Other: 17.88m) [ 3 holidays]
GBA LTD March 21, 2001 > December 31, 2003 (1015 days) = 49.42m (JP: 12.66m, NA/SA: 23.78m, Other: 12.98m) [ 3 holidays]

It's interesting to compare the GBA with the 3DS here. Clearly Nintendo has done their best with the 3DS in Japan as it's done about 3/4 of the DS and better than the GBA. What's crazy is how well the GBA sold in the Americas... Europe is about the same for the 3DS and GBA. Was it that $99 price point out of the gate for the GBA? Clearly having no competition from phones/tablets helps as well.

Road

Where is everyone getting the "shipped" from? I'm on my phone so maybe I missed it but all I see in the pictures are "hardware sales."

shipped_soldsuoyq.png

The disastrous performances are not immediately evident with the Q3 Earnings because it's the quarter where Nintendo earns the majority of its revenue and a great deal of its operating income.

Look at how horrid Nintendo's FY forecast is. -35 billion JPY operating income forecast and -25 billion JPY net income forecast is very, very bad for the management team that promised distinct YOY growth for the past 8 months or so.

The fact that Nintendo revised these numbers downward considerably just before they released these earnings is really telling.

Needless to say, but is their worst Q3 since 2003 (no information available for previous years):

nintendo_operatinginc6drg9.png

The Wii U effect:

nintendo_sale_operatigmodl.png

Net sales are higher now than during the Gamecube era, but profit is lower (or even losses)

They're the same event.

Nintendo invites investors to Hotel New Otani in Tokyo where he and other Nintendo executives present their plans for short-term and mid-term corporate strategy, their sell-through success in various markets, etc. to investors.

Officially it's called "Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for the 74th Fiscal Term Ending March 2014 - Company President's Presentation," but it can also be referred to as the "Investor Meeting."

This is the place where Iwata is going to talk about his reforms for the company, so this quarter's presentation and subsequent Q&A session are more significant than usual. That's why a countdown is front and center in the OP.

Don't confuse this with the "Shareholder's Meeting" that happens in June, where the Board sets a dividend and shareholders vote to re-elect Iwata / other Board members to Nintendo's Board of Directors.

Excellent, thanks for the clarification!

After seeing all these financial results and also playing SM3DW this week, it seems clear to me that Nintendo has major issues as a business but is still producing great pieces of entertainment/art. I hope that whatever changes they announce tonight and in the coming months put their business back on track without impacting the quality of their products.

Gleethor

Excellent, thanks for the clarification!

After seeing all these financial results and also playing SM3DW this week, it seems clear to me that Nintendo has major issues as a business but is still producing great pieces of entertainment/art. I hope that whatever changes they announce tonight and in the coming months put their business back on track without impacting the quality of their products.

This. God, this.

wrowa

Well, Donkey Kong is already more than they had last year. As sad as that sounds.

Hopefully Mario Kart 8 won't be too far off either. So that even when they overship this quarter to reach their shipment goals, they'll have a big game on the horizon that hopefully moves some hardware.

In general, I'm still baffled that Nintendo was unable to release Mario Kart 8 during the Christmas season. That game is (in terms of market appeal) so much more important than 3D World has ever been and now they have to release it during a slower period of the year, where it has much less potential to actually move a lot Wii Us.

Does anyone know if the 3DS's attach rate has dropped since Pokemon's release?

Many of the people I know bought 3DSs over the holiday season (most of them bought bundles) but they are still playing solely Pokemon. Maybe the attach was negatively affected by Pokemon's release and will settle higher in the coming months.

Isn't it a bit premature to be comparing the 3DS's attach rate to the Gameboy's or GBA's when the sales periods are not the same? At the same time, I feel like upgrading hardware (3DS to XL) is a more common practice than OG GBA to SP, reducing the attach rates.

Kimppis

Dat 3DS attach rate. :/ People only buy Pokemon in the west. How's 2DS?

So, DS (153m) might overtake PS2 (155m)? It's very, very close.

Well, Donkey Kong is already more than they had last year. As sad as that sounds.

Hopefully Mario Kart 8 won't be too far off either. So that even when they overship this quarter to reach their shipment goals, they'll have a big game on the horizon that hopefully moves some hardware.

In general, I'm still baffled that Nintendo was unable to release Mario Kart 8 during the Christmas season. That game is (in terms of market appeal) so much more important than 3D World has ever been and now they have to release it during a slower period of the year, where it has much less potential to actually move a lot Wii Us.
Good point on recouping overshipped units during the next quarter with a stronger lineup. I hadn't thought of that and it's a plausible scenario.

I was wondering about DK because from where I sit, the people who'd buy a console for the game are likely to be the ones who'd have already bought one for NSMBU or 3D World. Not that the demo would be utterly tapped out obviously.

1 and 1/2 hours remain until the presentation!

From the OP:

t1391043600z1.png

You will be able to get instant updates from the conference from David Gibson's (Senior Analyst, Macquarie Research Japan) Twitter account.

It can be found here:

https://twitter.com/gibbogame

Location for Earnings Presentation:
Hotel New Otani Tokyo
4-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 102-8578
JP

Information sourced from:
Toshihiko Matsuda
Manager of Tokyo Office in Main Sales Unit
Nintendo Co Ltd

Road

Could be a day or two, but with this one being so vital, I'd imagine it a few hours after, if not instantly.

The presentation in English is usually up a few minutes after the Japanese one.

It's the Q&A that takes a few days.

maxcriden

Could be a day or two, but with this one being so vital, I'd imagine it a few hours after, if not instantly.

Thanks Joe. BTW, I just saw Aquamarine said in the other thread that it could be a few days.

The presentation in English is usually up a few minutes after the Japanese one.

It's the Q&A that takes a few days.

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.

So this conferencing coming up in roughly 1 hour 20 minutes - is this the big announcement (or not) on what Nintendo will do (I.E. If a megaton is dropped it'll be then?) Or is the pay cut the announcement

I'm so confused

JoeM86

So this conferencing coming up in roughly 1 hour 20 minutes - is this the big announcement (or not) on what Nintendo will do (I.E. If a megaton is dropped it'll be then?) Or is the pay cut the announcement

I'm so confused

It's their investor meeting. They will discuss sales over the last quarter, projections, any new business strategies.

It is not a Nintendo Direct, nor a forum for massive game reveals.

Rösti;98878093 said:
What do you think, should we continue in this thread for the CMPB or is a separate thread better?

We have enough Nintendo threads!

Besides, if Nintendo announces something big, someone will probably make a new thread for it anyway once it gets disseminated through the Western media.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I post the bingo cards then.

Example

Some taken from recent discussions, some are own suggestions.

It should say CY14 of course in the Dedede box, not CY13.

nintendobingoexample5hpgl.png

Template

If anyone wants to join in.

nintendobingotemplatenwrn3.png

JABEE

Let's all hope for the best. Nintendo still makes amazing games. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the best games Nintendo has made in years. The new Animal Crossing was amazing. Really hope they can figure out how to fix their problems.

I know it's unlikely that they'll layout Panic Mode plans during this, but here's hoping.

Regardless of what happens, the thread will be on fire.

Revven

I sincerely hope something good comes out of it and that Nintendo/Iwata shows he understands what's gone wrong (even if it's being Captain Obvious, him acknowledging it unlike he has been is a step forward).

ec0ec0

RED NUMBERS NOW!! :O

Also, aquamarine is ridiculously amazing ;P (really, always giving nintendo information to read)

Tobor

Guys, there has to be a translation error. Iwata has no clue how to utilize smart devices. Are we sure there isn't a missing question mark?

"How to utilize smart devices? is the theme of our management policy conference (Thursday)"

Seiru

Banned
If they mention mobile app trailers for their games as part of a plan to turn the company around, I'm going to throw up.

Something like that is almost an afterthought for a company in a good position. How in the world do they think that it's an appropriate response to the Wii U completely flopping?

jmizzal

1 and 1/2 hours remain until the presentation!

From the OP:

t1391043600z1.png

You will be able to get instant updates from the conference from David Gibson's (Senior Analyst, Macquarie Research Japan) Twitter account.

It can be found here:

https://twitter.com/gibbogame

Location for Earnings Presentation:
Hotel New Otani Tokyo
4-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 102-8578
JP

Information sourced from:
Toshihiko Matsuda
Manager of Tokyo Office in Main Sales Unit
Nintendo Co Ltd

Is somebody making an official thread? Or will it be made after all the information is out?

If they mention mobile app trailers for their games as part of a plan to turn the company around, I'm going to throw up.

Something like that is almost an afterthought for a company in a good position. How in the world do they think that it's an appropriate response to the Wii U completely flopping?

Have you considered the fact that nothing's been announced yet? Calm down, man.

AniHawk

my realistic expectations

-making mini-games as a third-party developer for ios/android devices (including ouya)
-super mario bros. free with each coin collected costing the player one cent each (1-up = $1)
-super return of the jedi special edition to be released as a retail exclusive
-bayonetta 2 release date for xbox 360 and playstation 4
-dkctf trailer
-interview with nintendo of america ceo saturo iwata
-legend of zelda wii u details announced for e3
-gamepadless sku revealed for the wii u, focusing on mario kart 8 release date
-mario kart 8 release date officially called 'mario kart 8 release d8'
-majora's masks to be made available at hot topic in stores around the us
-no plans to support the vita
-2ds announced for japanese audiences, to be bundled with dragon quest monsters 2 remake
-unified account system available for $5 a month
-x trailer
-sales numbers for nes remix
-announcement of secret game for wii u (my money's on kirby)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom