• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 2014 Earnings Release (through December 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
Am I misreading the charts somehow? Operating income is on the up again, if they sell a few more Wii Us, which they likely will, they'll make a modest profit in Q3 14/15. Losses seem containable. I'm not seeing disastrous at all. I'm somewhat bummed by that actually because it seems like Iwata can get away with it for the investors. Long term it's a problem when they need to introduce the 3DS successor. On the other hand, with the Vita almost dead there isn't really an impetus to come with anything soon.

tebunker

Banned
Am I misreading the charts somehow? Operating income is on the up again, if they sell a few more Wii Us, which they likely will, they'll make a modest profit in Q3 14/15. Losses seem containable. I'm not seeing disastrous at all. I'm somewhat bummed by that actually because it seems like Iwata can get away with it for the investors. Long term it's a problem when they need to introduce the 3DS successor. On the other hand, with the Vita almost dead there isn't really an impetus to come with anything soon.
No just barely scraping by and returning value to investors are two different things.

They will still be making a lot of changes. They can't continue this course and remain in business.

(...)

G&A expenses are mostly administrative stuff like executive branch salaries, rents, depreciation (as far as office space is considered), but also some of the more minor stuff, like office supplies or subscriptions, that sort of things. Basically any cost that is connected to administrating the company.

Exactly that. Costs associated with running the company, employees basically.
Thanks.

"Advertising expenses" should be included in "Cost of Sales" then?

What about R&D-costs?

AzaK

Less than 2 million in the Oc-Dc in the second year of a Nintendo console? Wii U really is dead.

It's not pining! It's passed on! This console is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its computational processes are now history! It's off the shelf! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile! This is an ex-console!!
That brought this instantly to mind.
http://youtu.be/6XlaOxjJ0kI

So unless I'm missing something, this is a disaster of biblical proportions, right?

wFICXbkl.jpg

Guevara

How are the GameCube software numbers much higher than the 3DS ones despite only selling half of that system?

Look at the huge differences in software tie ratios. It's killing the 3DS:

Code:
Year Released (US)	Platform	Hardware	Software	Type		Tie-Ratio
1985			NES		61.91		500.01		Console		8.08
1991			SNES		49.1		379.06		Console		7.72
1996			N64		32.93		224.97		Console		6.83
2001			GC		21.74		208.57		Console		9.59
2006			Wii		100.9		892.34		Console		8.84
2012			Wii U		5.86		29.37		Console		5.01

Code:
Year Released (US)	Platform	Hardware	Software	Type		Tie-Ratio
1989			GB		118.69		501.11		Handheld	4.22
2001			GBA		81.51		377.42		Handheld	4.63
2004			DS		153.98		942.32		Handheld	6.12
2011			3DS		42.74		152.29		Handheld	3.56

CassSept

Thanks.

"Advertising expenses" should be included in "Cost of Sales" then?

What about R&D-costs?

Advertising expenses would be Selling Costs. "Costs of Sales" include costs directly relevant to the production (e.g. materials, factory workers salaries, machine depreciation, other costs like electricity, gas, whatever is relevant to a given industry, basically anything that can be directly linked to goods production itself). R&D costs should be included in costs of sales too, though I'm guessing the rate at which they should be accounted depends on the country and company. But they are most definitely costs of sales.

Anth0ny

WWHD made a million?

Can we get other HD ports now, please?

Well, those numbers include the digital sales, most of which came from the game being bundled with Wii U.

But still... more HD ports please. Galaxy 1/2 for Summer 2014 kthx.

Effect

WWHD made a million?

Can we get other HD ports now, please?

They'd be crazy not to do it. The problem is what games will be remade/ported. Honestly I couldn't care less about Mario Kart Double Dash or Sunshine. Those would take away from 3D World and MK8. They'll never even entertain the idea of green lighting Eternal Darkness or Geist. There is of course Fire Emblem but I'd rather a sequel to Awakening.

3bdelilah

Banned
Well, those numbers include the digital sales, most of which came from the game being bundled with Wii U.

But still... more HD ports please. Galaxy 1/2 for Summer 2014 kthx.

I'd love me some Banjo Kazooie and Tooie HD, too. That is, if Nintendo still holds the rights of those two. I think so, I don't think Rare took those two with them.

And
OoT HD 1080p 60fps on Wii U. Yeah yeah, I know. Oh well, a brotha can dream.

I'd love me some Banjo Kazooie and Tooie HD, too. That is, if Nintendo still holds the rights of those two. I think so, I don't think Rare took those two with them.

And

MS has the rights.

But OoT would be great, but I want Sunshine

Jamix012

And

Banjo Kazooie is owned by MS. Hence BK Nuts N' Bolts and...Banjo Kazooie and Tooie HD on XBLA.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mark MacDonald on Twitter

And final bit from Nintendo's Iwata "How to utilize smart devices is the theme of our management policy conference (Thursday)"

It sounds to me that Nikkei's article is far more on the spot than they want to admit.

3bdelilah

Banned
MS has the rights.

But OoT would be great, but I want Sunshine

Banjo Kazooie is owned by MS. Hence BK Nuts N' Bolts and...Banjo Kazooie and Tooie HD on XBLA.

That's been out for years now. On Xbox 360.

Yeah, I know Rare took the Banjo license with them when they left for Microsoft. I'm aware of Nuts & Bolts, but I never knew XBLA also has Kazooie and Tooie? Fuck, man. Ah well, guess it might be a fine time to dust off the N64.

Guevara

"How to utilize smart devices is the theme of our management policy conference"

No really, how do we use them? We see people on the train with these "iPhones" all the time? Does anyone know what they are? Miyamoto thinks they might also play games??

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"How to utilize smart devices is the theme of our management policy conference"

No really, how do we use them? We see people on the train with these "iPhones" all the time? Does anyone know what they are? Miyamoto thinks they might also play games??

I suspect he wanted to mean how to use them in order to boost their business, but it could be a guess :p

I hope we'll hear about emerging markets and licensing efforts as well. And I want to know more about their mobile efforts too.

Shurayuki

How are the GameCube software numbers much higher than the 3DS ones despite only selling half of that system?

Because the Gamecube has 8 fiscal years of sales on there as opposed to 4 for the 3DS.
In its 4th FY the Gamecube had sold 156.30 million units according to Nintendo's historical data.

The disastrous performances are not immediately evident with the Q3 Earnings because it's the quarter where Nintendo earns the majority of its revenue and a great deal of its operating income.

Look at how horrid Nintendo's FY forecast is. -35 billion JPY operating income forecast and -25 billion JPY net income forecast is very, very bad for the management team that promised distinct YOY growth for the past 8 months or so.

The fact that Nintendo revised these numbers downward considerably just before they released these earnings is really telling.

Breemin

The Wii U failure is all part of Nintendo's big plans. They failed so they can buy back their stocks at a low cost, then POW.. something will happen.. something always happens...

Mark MacDonald on Twitter

It sounds to me that Nikkei's article is far more on the spot than they want to admit.

If those promotional smartphone apps are actually the centerpiece of Iwata's presentation, rather than just a small part of it... good fucking lord.

Sadly, I can actually see that being the case.

The Boat

If those promotional smartphone apps are actually the centerpiece of Iwata's presentation, rather than just a small part of it... goo

Sadly, I can actually see that being the case.
If wouldn't surprise me if the main part was about mobile, mostly because it's an issue that needs to be addressed to investors since mobile is all they think about. I doubt we'll see anything significant soon.

I think we should first see how will Vita TV fare in western markets before being so categorical about that.

Vita TV's performance would have little bearing on a Nintendo console. Sony has created the VTV as a cheap userbase enhancer and to squeeze more mileage out of the Vita hardware (probably to satisfy production allotment minimums). It's by no means a purpose-designed piece of hardware.

Pretty much. I'm talking more about a fully fledged handheld that also offers the option to connect to a TV/monitor and allow for traditional home console gaming.

It would mean Nintendo could focus on one device and not have to worry so much about spreading themselves so thin with first party releases.

They'd be crazy not to do it. The problem is what games will be remade/ported. Honestly I couldn't care less about Mario Kart Double Dash or Sunshine. Those would take away from 3D World and MK8. They'll never even entertain the idea of green lighting Eternal Darkness or Geist. There is of course Fire Emblem but I'd rather a sequel to Awakening.

They did Wind Waker to give a boost to their lineup, and they knew the next Zelda game is years away. Take the same logic and apply it to all franchises where the next game is coming approximately "never":

F-Zero (F-Zero GX HD)
Metroid (Metroid Prime Trilogy HD)
Star Fox (Star Fox Adventures / Assault HD)
Wave Race (Wave Race: Blue Storm HD)
1080 (1080 Avalance HD)

And sure, why not Eternal Darkness, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes? And for all our sakes, get Capcom to do REmake HD, and the Capcom 5 HD, why not? I'd buy them.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The disastrous performances are not immediately evident with the Q3 Earnings because it's the quarter where Nintendo earns the majority of its revenue and a great deal of its operating income.

Look at how horrid Nintendo's FY forecast is. -35 billion JPY operating income forecast and -25 billion JPY net income forecast is very, very bad for the management team that promised distinct YOY growth for the past 8 months or so.

The fact that Nintendo revised these numbers downward considerably just before they released these earnings is really telling.

Great post.

On a side note, I'm not expecting a grand announcement for their coming Inventors Meeting. I do believe Nintendo will be actively pursuing licensing opportunities as a way to reinvigorate their brands and increase their revenue streams until a more sound strategy is found for mobile & tablets.

Predictions for Nintendo's next fiscal-year:

- No price-cut on 3DS hardware. 2DS will fill the void

- No price-cut on Wii U hardware.

- A new Wii U sku will be introduced (no Gamepad - sold seperately) at 249.99$ in conjunction with Super Smash

- A greater focus on licensing agreements (actively pursuing the Pokemon model)

- No change of strategy for third-party titles

- Greater focus on digital content

- Localizations efforts increase

Apologies if this has been asked already, but are the "Earnings Presentation" and "Investor Meeting" the same event? If they're separate, what is the distinction and when is the investor meeting? Or to put it another way: what time this evening should I get on NeoGAF to read about Iwata dropping bombs?

Apologies if this has been asked already, but are the "Earnings Presentation" and "Investor Meeting" the same event? If they're separate, what is the distinction and when is the investor meeting? Or to put it another way: what time this evening should I get on NeoGAF to read about Iwata dropping bombs?

They're the same event.

Nintendo invites investors to Hotel New Otani in Tokyo where he and other Nintendo executives present their plans for short-term and mid-term corporate strategy, their sell-through success in various markets, etc. to investors.

Officially it's called "Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for the 74th Fiscal Term Ending March 2014 - Company President's Presentation," but it can also be referred to as the "Investor Meeting."

This is the place where Iwata is going to talk about his reforms for the company, so this quarter's presentation and subsequent Q&A session are more significant than usual. That's why a countdown is front and center in the OP.

Don't confuse this with the "Shareholder's Meeting" that happens in June, where the Board sets a dividend and shareholders vote to re-elect Iwata / other Board members to Nintendo's Board of Directors.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't worry guys, this totally legitimate insider from 2 weeks ago is here with all the great news we're going to get:

I dunno where to post these following informations and please take it with an grand of salt, but according to a source of mine:

-Nintendo is working for several years on a new System. Not just a gaming system.

-Nintendo Direct is planed for this upcoming week = Mario kart 8 release date, Super smash bros release date, two new game announcements. note this was said two weeks ago

-Pokken is real. Pokemon/Tekken. Release date set for September 2014.

-Two Metroid games in development. One almost finished. Releasing Oktober 2014.

-ZeldaU is releasing Holiday 2014. Much darker and mature - u can feel the spirt of majoras mask in it.

-Japanese third partys are gathering closer around Nintendo. New exclusive deal and ips are going to be revealed.

-we are going to see at least 3 old long anticipated franchises from Nintendo this year

-New miyamoto ip. Only information is that there is no information. Kept very secret.

-eshop and retail games are getting cheaper

-Nintendo is going to drop some huge game changing suprises.

Well like i said, take it with a grand of salt, but according in what position my source is working, it seems really trustworthy.

totally real.

3bdelilah

Banned
Don't worry guys, this totally legitimate insider from 2 weeks ago is here with all the great news we're going to get:

totally real.

I know we should read his post with my bodyweight (I'm a big boy) of salt, but I got a tingly feeling inside when I read the part about Zelda U. Guess I just really want something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom