• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals first official art of new Wii U/NX Zelda

HeySeuss

2017 makes me think the NX got pushed back and will miss the holiday season. I hope that's not the case because the holiday sales boost is something Nintendo needs to build momentum.

Edit: I didn't realize this was already announced. It's 6am and this was the first topic I saw...

Solrac

chcerk2wuaaudcs.png-lntrx6.png

Source: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/725224978984083456

I can see it

Zelda-Lens-of-Truth-500x500.jpg

tumblr_nen4sadg971r1x6xio2_r1_500.png

Guys. We are talking about Legend of Zelda...many Console Zeldas have been delayed, it was a given from day one, that the first date it got would never be the real release date. It will be playable at E3 so I guess Nintendo is close to finishing it...maybe it will be even done then and the delay is due to NX's release...The last time this happened wasnt that far away, it was called the Revolution :p So if we get a Revolution 2.0 scenario we will be fine :)

Sagittal

Banned
Eh. We've hardly seen anything from the title. The TP delays were far worse.

Never get excited for a game until you have a solid release date and it's about a few months until release. Getting hyped too early only leads to disappointment.

TP was also a bad delay though at least the GC had Windwaker, there has yet to be any new Zelda title on the Wii U, which has been out since 2012. Now it is being held back to sell a new console whilst leaving current consumers with just about nothing. I don't remember Twilight Princess being held back on the Gamecube for this long due to the Wii.

RagnarokX

Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask (neon lighting inside some of the businesses in Clock Town) are the only examples I can think of. Link's Awakening doesn't count for obvious reasons.
In Wind Waker the Tower of the Gods is full of high-tech traps; and Gohdan, the boss, is some kind of robot created by the gods to test the hero.

Likewise, the Temple of Time in TP, which is essentially that timeline's Tower of the Gods, is full of robots. One of the dungeons is a city kept afloat by the advanced technology of the Oocca one the dominion rod is a device used to control robots. Midna and stuff involving the Twilight Realm has a decidedly technological flavor to them, as well.

Armos are robots. Their appearance has gotten more and more technological as the series progressed.

I will always hold the theory that the "Goddesses" are an advanced species of aliens and the Triforce is a very powerful, alien piece of tech that can manipulate reality, time, and space. That time portal in Skyward Sword and Fi herself was just too alien and extremely technological to me.

Ocarina of Time has a jukebox and neon lights inside that bombchu minigame area.
Well, the original premise for Zelda that Miyamoto came up with was that it took place in the future and the Triforce was some kind of computer chip. Link's name is a remnant from this vision, as in datalink.

It's fairly obvious that they kept some of this. Stuff involving the goddesses and the triforce has a noticeable technological flavor to it. The goddesses have robot servants and stuff and Fi is robot, who also happens to be the Master Sword, making the Master Sword itself some kind of technology. They've been blurring the lines between magic and technology more and more with the series.

Shiggy

Launch in 2017? Will they have any Wii U game this holiday or will they just launch a Wii U game next year all of a sudden?

Seiniyta

the art of Twilight Princess and Skyward sword of Link didn't really reflect his ingame look all that closely imo. So it's very much possible he still looks androgyous ingame (which I personally hope for)

Skyward Sword:

skyward_art1.png

the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword_conceptart_IW5eg.jpg

Twilight Princess:

zelda_twilight_princess_conceptart_hMtM1.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-01-30-16-1.png

Piers

It looks nice, but it's really just the same pose from the first trailer. Not particularly interesting.
Has there been any concrete source on the game being released for NX as well?

Veal

I guess many of y'all either weren't fans of Nintendo back in the day or weren't born, but this delay shouldn't be big news. It should have been expected.

These cries of selling their consoles and/or swearing off the series over a delay makes me strangely nostalgic of when Wind Waker was revealed to legendary meltdowns.

Ah, Zelda...when isn't this fanbase embarrassing itself?

I love it, it's gorgeous! Just needs a hat ;-)

the art of Twilight Princess and Skyward sword of Link didn't really reflect his ingame look all that closely imo. So it's very much possible he still looks androgyous ingame (which I personally hope for)

Skyward Sword:

skyward_art1.png

the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword_conceptart_IW5eg.jpg

Twilight Princess:

zelda_twilight_princess_conceptart_hMtM1.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-01-30-16-1.png

TP Link is so ugly. Ugliest Link ever. Shame because he looked great in the artwork.

Ocarina of Time has a jukebox and neon lights inside that bombchu minigame area.

See, I knew there was an instance of modern technology in Ocarina of Time, but I just couldn't remember what. Thanks.

I will always hold the theory that the "Goddesses" are an advanced species of aliens and the Triforce is a very powerful, alien piece of tech that can manipulate reality, time, and space. That time portal in Skyward Sword and Fi herself was just too alien and extremely technological to me.

Oh god please no. The day they go the "all magic is merely advanced alien technology" route is the day I finally give up on this series. I don't care if Miyamoto's original idea was for Zelda to be science fiction, the further they stray from the high fantasy world of the original, the more disinterested I become.

In Wind Waker the Tower of the Gods is full of high-tech traps; and Gohdan, the boss, is some kind of robot created by the gods to test the hero.

Likewise, the Temple of Time in TP, which is essentially that timeline's Tower of the Gods, is full of robots. One of the dungeons is a city kept afloat by the advanced technology of the Oocca one the dominion rod is a device used to control robots. Midna and stuff involving the Twilight Realm has a decidedly technological flavor to them, as well.

Armos are robots. Their appearance has gotten more and more technological as the series progressed.

Eh. I'll give you the Wind Waker and TP stuff, but disagree about the Armos. I might go far as to call them mechanical, but not robotic in the sense that most think of when they hear the word 'robot'.

Ugh, those sliced eyes.

Sliced?

Durock

The what appears to be a journal on his belt with the eye of truth on it as has me very excited. I'm really hoping it will serve as a catalog that let's you read info about objects and enemies at any time. I wouldn't mind if it was catalogued in a similar vein to the Metroid Prime series. Maybe you use the Lens of Truth to "see" and "learn" about things and it's sent to the journal to read up on.

Or it could just be automatic. Defeat/find an enemy or talk to a specific person and it's automatically added to the journal. They've done something similar before with Navi and Fi or, more specifically, with the camera and figurines in The Wind Waker.

takriel

Loving those piercing blue eyes.

Could someone make an avatar of Link's face of this artwork for me? Pretty please?

Violet_0

Banned
I liked E3 2014 Link better
These cries of selling their consoles and/or swearing off the series over a delay makes me strangely nostalgic of when Wind Waker was revealed to legendary meltdowns.

Ah, Zelda...when isn't this fanbase embarrassing itself?
the problem is that Wii U doesn't get any more games that interest me, neither from Nintendo nor third party, but that's another topic altogether

rhandino

Banned
I like it.

The book thing is most likely related to the gamepad and maybe when you use it in the game the TV screen will show Link reading in it while the content is presented in the gamepad ala ZombiU.

Excited for this one and at least ai have Hyrule Warriors DLC to look forward.

Jims

Looks good!

Interesting that we're seeing more of the blue tunic instead of the usual green. Is this the first game that's being promoted without the traditional green tunic? It's a really nice and refreshing design choice, but it also feels like it might hint something about about the story. Skyward Sword kinda established the traditional green tunic, but maybe this game ends with him/her getting one.

Distinct lack of emphasis on the Master Sword too. Seems like the big mysterious draw is that book, and how it might relate to the glowing blue arrow and stuff like that. The imagery also reminds me more of Zelda, rather than Link. The color blue is more associated with the Wisdom side of the Triforce and the bow is Zelda's signature weapon. Not putting my conspiracy hat on or anything, it's just interesting what is being emphasized in this artwork versus previous games.

Illucio

Banned
I wonder if Link's tunic is blue because it matches the Wii U's usage of the color blue?

Oh and I guess that book has something to do with the plot.

If I don't get a green tunic I will go ape shit. Blue is boring, green is the best.

So the book is probably the main item of the game that the game will be named after. Wonder what it's called.

iFirez

So...WiiU will be the first Nintendo console withouth its own Zelda game. Wonderfull.

I was thinking the same thing.
NES - The Legend of Zelda + Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
SNES - A Link to the Past
GB - Link's Awakening
N64 - Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask
GBC - Oracle of Seasons + Oracle of Ages
GC - The Wind Waker + Four Swords Adventures {Twilight Princess}
GBA - The Minish Cap
Wii - Skyward Sword {Twilight Princess}
DS - Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks
3DS - A Link Between Worlds + Triforce Heroes
Wii U - {The Lengend of Zelda Wii U/NX}
NX - {The Legend of Zelda Wii U/NX}

Kind of crazy. Sure the 3DS has had a bunch of remasters/remakes but it has 2 of it's own Zelda games too . The Wii U has only had WW and TP in HD, it has had no exclusive (originally released only on) Zelda games at all.

jdstorm

Banned
I was thinking the same thing.
NES - The Legend of Zelda + Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
SNES - A Link to the Past
GB - Link's Awakening
N64 - Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask
GBC - Oracle of Seasons + Oracle of Ages
GC - The Wind Waker + Four Swords Adventures {Twilight Princess}
GBA - The Minish Cap
Wii - Skyward Sword {Twilight Princess}
DS - Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks
3DS - A Link Between Worlds + Triforce Heroes
Wii U - {The Lengend of Zelda Wii U/NX}
NX - {The Legend of Zelda Wii U/NX}

Kind of crazy. Sure the 3DS has had a bunch of remasters/remakes but it has 2 of it's own Zelda games too . The Wii U has only had WW and TP in HD, it has had no exclusive (originally released only on) Zelda games at all.

Well there is Hyrule Warriors

Top Bottom