• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals first official art of new Wii U/NX Zelda

Neoxon

If both Zelda and Ganondorf are in this game, I think they'll update all 3.

If not....dunno.
That's what I was thinking. The Zelda U/NX character designer(s) could easily whip up a Sheik design for the Smash 5 crew to use, so Sheik won't be an issue. It's Zelda & Ganondorf who I'm concerned about. If both aren't in Zelda U/NX or if they don't have battle-ready designs, then that could be a problem.

Or maybe the trailer was early and the character model evolved sense then, also I doubt they had male/female link in mind in the first trailer sense the idea only really sparked after that trailer was released. Also yeah, they designs are going to be different, but don't expect to see OG trailer Link again

Its the same Link...

this is artwork, Since when does artwork character look exactly like the in game? Other than WW none

RPGCrazied

Looks the same to me, a little more male like. Maybe they are going with both genders this time. Well whatever, Link will always be male in my opinion.

Hand drawn art is almost never the same as 3d model, not sure what the discussion here is about, unless we have a current in-game screenshot, I am going to assume nothing changed at all.

why do people think the character is a girl? Link has always had bishounen character design.
Correct, he always was and continue to be a pretty anime boy.

Looks good. And again, like I said when people on GAF were going "no way he won't wear green and have the hat", it looks like no hat blue tunic Link IS the default outfit. They said they were changing the Zelda formula, so that doesn't surprise me.

georly

Nope. Smash Wii U Link is the ugliest. This isn't even a debate. It's solid fact.

The 3DS version's lower res graphics some how saved him.

God, yes, this, a million times over.

Also, anyone else agree that's not a book? At all? Looks more like a cloth-wrapped (or leather) magical stone tablet. Odds on it being the macguffin and also the title of the game? 90%?

Edit: Seems I'm late to the 'not a book' party.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm surprised at the lack of green tunic.

Could it be absent from the game completely? For the first time?

I'm kinda surprised at the prominence of the bow. They showed it over the classic sword and board in the reveal trailer, and now again in the first official art. Makes it seem like story-wise he might be more of an archer primarily with the sword and shield as backup.

georly

Aonuma already said it was Link.

Or that's what he wants you to think and you were ganondorf the whole time and this is ganondorf's origin story! The 3 items before the 'master sword' are the 3 shattered pieces of the triforce of power and your dad was groose and hold on i need to check my fanfiction for the rest.

I'm guessing this blue outfit is Link's starting outfit before he gets the traditional green tunic and cap. Usually Link's starting outfit gives you hints about his background for the game. Looks like blue might be the color of the town/village he's from, or the color of whatever group he's part of.

And then there's the Sheikah symbol on that box attached to his waistline. Could he have been raised by Sheikah people? Or will he have grown up under Hyrulean royalty?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks great. That tomb or stone tablet probably will be the Navi of this game. Hope they can recapture the quality of Midna again and not the horrible stilted and annoying Fi. Even Navi herself had her charms.

Really great art though. Game itself though already looks fantastic. Really dig this new outfit. Wouldn't mind seeing a Green Tunic at some point, but the whole hood and cape look that the first trailer showed is just really awesome and I would love the option to keep that throughout the game.

I'm totally down with minor cosmetics like that in the series. Link is more than just a Green Tunic and funny looking hat to me. Also wouldn't mind getting redesign of the tunic itself. TP updated it from OoT green blouse look to something more beefy with the heavy leather and chainmail underneath, but I would like them to kind of get a more textured and patchwork look to it. Like it was designed for camouflage almost, rather than just being some bog standard uniform he acquires.

Astral Dog

A spin-off made by another company that plays nothing like a Zelda game doesn't really count. It's also on 3DS now so even if you did count it before now it's not Wii U exclusive anymore.

Wii U has the newest Zelda game showing at this E3, im not sure why some people cant count the games when they release on different hardware from the same puublisher, kind of childish both owners of Wii U and NX will be able to enjoy the next Zelda game on their system of choice.

Its also overal more difficult to develop games on an HD system compared to a SD one, Skyward Sword took like five years to make on the Wii, obviousy things are differing now,.

Nintendo has clearly responded by filling the gaps with remasters and spin offs on both Wii U and 3DS,

Magic is science that we just don't understand yet,

Look, I get that the cool thing to do these days is to shove science into fantasy and justify it with Arthur C. Clarke quotes, but I disagree. No amount of stretching of the imagination could convince me that three powerful aliens would willingly transform themselves into golden triangles, tuck themselves away in a "Sacred Realm", all for the purpose of doing this for whoever finds them:

3T0Pgky.png

Good/evil heart detecting, wish-granting tech. Right.

This is the way the series seems to be going, a mix of sci-fi and fantasy.

A mix is fine. I'm excited at the prospect of Link's "book" actually being some kind of smart device, and the villains of Zelda NX being an alien race. But if all of the Zelda series' magic was just science the Hyruleans didn't understand, it would just be science-fiction, and I like to think there's a difference. I'm not the only one feels this way about "explaining away" magic, either; just look at how many people were upset (and are still upset) when it looked as though George Lucas was using Midichlorians to give the Force a scientific explanation.

So...what if that Book turned Link into Zelda and vice-versa?

That could be cool.

Shady859

What in the hell is going on with his right hand? That's just a mess. Otherwise looks great though.

Daintily shooting the arrow with thumb and middle 2 fingers like a proper lady.

Glad they are still doing the whole dual console release for this. Should be able to get in and back out of a WiiU cheap with people upgrading. Hopefully the NX version is amazing. :)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Am I the only one that kind of feels lied to? I mean, we saw this demo back in 2011.
I bought the wii u day one because of that footage. I'm a college student so I don't get to spend much (if any) money whatsoever, and knowing I basically threw my money away really makes me lose my trust in nintendo. I honestly might sell my wii u this month and not bother with the nx until its half its launch price... It makes me kinda sad to say that.

There have been a number of "realistic" mock ups, the demo itself and even a movie trailer.

You can thank the "fans" who made those, why the new Zelda is cel shaded.

People wouldn't be so surprised if Nintendo just made it like the demo. It would be more of the same really. So they're trying to make it beautiful in a different way.

It had to be unique.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo of America's press site has now been updated to reflect the changes:

zelda_bigjuist.png

The earlier image, showing "Link" on a horse with 2016 on top, has been removed.

Neoxon

Rösti;202084619 said:

zelda_bigjuist.png

The earlier image, showing "Link" on a horse with 2016 on top, has been removed.
Can you check for Rhythm Heaven Megamix?

I'm puzzled why Link is right handed here. I hope it's not because they'll tack on motion controls like they did for TP and SS (also the only two games with a right handed Link).

TheJoRu

Rösti;202084619 said:

zelda_bigjuist.png

That site says "Mar 2017" as the release date. Hmm.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rösti;202084619 said:

zelda_bigjuist.png

Site says March 2017!

HOLD THAT!

W8yp3Zb.gif

Top Bottom