• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Famitsu asks about BC, battery life and mobile games

Rappy

I can understand no Wii U BC for hardware reasons. But 3DS ? That's lame.
There's no BC with 3DS for hardware reasons, too. Because the card slot interface is likely different to DS/3DS cards.
When asked whether the Nintendo Switch would be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, Nintendo replied that it wouldn’t be the case, as it’s not a successor to either platforms.
This is just a BS PR excuse. The DS was not the successor to the GBA and it still had BC (because of the hardware). I wouldn't say this rules out 3DS VC games though, but that seems unlikely.
Weird they keep saying this. This kind of talk almost gives the impression they're not confident on the Switch. It's like their third pillar bullshit talk about the DS, before it became a runaway success.
Did that third pillar talk actually mean they were not confident with the DS? I mean, why even push these products out if they didn't think they were confident?

Oregano

I found the comment about the dock being bundled depending on Region most interesting.

Selling a dockless version would go against its "It's a home console primarily" thing.

I assume it means for handheld focused Japan.

Aleh

I would love to at least be able to use my digital 3DS games on it with the simplicity of having a modern account based system but that really seems unlikely lol

And if online multiplayer becomes a paid service it would be the dumbest thing I can think of.

Weird they keep saying this. This kind of talk almost gives the impression they're not confident on the Switch. It's like their third pillar bullshit talk about the DS, before it became a runaway success.
Or that they just want to distant themself from the WiiU brand as much as possible.

For 3DS most likely because they see it as a home console first.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Quoting from the other thread:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201610/21118771.html

Famitsu asked Nintendo about several issues regarding NS. Here is the summary of the article. As my Japanese is crappy, please tell me if there are any mistakes.

- NS is not the successor of Wii U
- NS is not backward compatible with Wii U and 3DS
- NS will be packaged with Joy-Con(L) and Joy-Con(R)
- The packaging of other accessories will be announced separately for different regions before launch
- Cartridge is called "Game Card" internally
- Specifications of cartridge will be announced before launch
- Battery life will be announced later. The development team aims at allowing players to play NS conveniently at places without electricity connection.
- At this moment, no information on compatibility of smartphone apps can be provided

I will add it to the OP too, I think it's a good summary.

When asked whether the Nintendo Switch would be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, Nintendo replied that it wouldn’t be the case, as it’s not a successor to either platforms.

I wish Nintendo would give up on this routine. Successor: noun: the fucking thing that comes after the current fucking thing. Source: all fucking dictionaries.

Like, bruh, come on now. It's always "third pillar", "not a successor" with these jabronis.

ggx2ac

If it fails, they most likely release a console revision or handheld revision of the Switch quickly like how Wii is a console revision of the GameCube to get a new product out quickly.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I can understand no Wii U BC for hardware reasons. But 3DS ? That's lame.

Well some games require the 3D, so they can be finished to 100%. For Example Mario 3D land. Also if there is no touch screen it would be nearly impossible.

But if Nintendo allows mobile-app games to be on the plattform, they seriously need to revamp the whole store. Mobile-app games like flappy bird or whatever should have their own category, so people won´t mistake them with Indie and1-3rd party games.

Metal B

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. The mass produced/mass launch day availability version of the Switch better include the Dock. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.
It makes perfect sense.
The best part of the Switch is that they can sell it as an console and an handheld. You can perfectly play the Switch without the Dock and there is the possibility for local multiplayer. This means one household could want more then one Swtich (if they price is close to the 3DS), but only need one Dock (especially if parents want to play them self and have there kids taking there Switch with them).

Selling multiple Switches for one household would be the case scenario for Nintendo. Something what is very rare with consoles.

duckroll

It's not about confidence, it's just Nintendo's culture. No matter what they make, staff are conditioned to be proud of making or selling something new and unique rather than "just" a sequel. This is just the hardwarespeak version of "Not the same game, not the same content". Lol.

Rappy

It's not about confidence, it's just Nintendo's culture. No matter what they make, staff are conditioned to be proud of making or selling something new and unique rather than "just" a sequel. This is just the hardwarespeak version of "Not the same game, not the same content". Lol.
Exactly. Not really much to do with confidence, and much to do with BS PR spin.

Can't say I'm surprised at a lack of BC. However, the fact that they're potentially doing SKUs without docks seems kind of odd to me. Then again, they also managed to sell New 3DS units without chargers...

Clarification on my translation: About the bundle thing, the original article did not use the dock as the example. I just added "like the dock" into the translation to tell you what are the other accessories. To be honest, I really hope they are not referring to the dock.

Metal B

Sadly it probably also means a paid Nintendo Premium Account might be required for online multiplayer!!
There was a rumor, that Online-Gaming would be free, but that they are planing a premium service, where subscribers would get games for free. With Nintendos huge catalog of Virtual Console games, they could stalk it up with a lot of titles. Especially if they add N64 again and finally include Gamecube games (DS, 3DS and Wii U could be hard or impossible).

jblank83

It's not the successor until they finish selling Us and 3DSs, then it is.

This does not make a lick of sense.

duckroll

There was a rumor, that Online-Gaming will be free, but that they are planing a premium service, where you get games for free. With Nintendos huge catalog of Virtual Console games, they could stalk it up with a lot of titles. Especially if they add N64 again and finally include Gamecube games (DS, 3DS and Wii U could be hard or impossible).

Ah, the PS+ strategy to win goodwill when a first party is entering a race in that generation from behind. So that means paid online gaming is a lock next generation! >_<

Clarification on my translation: About the bundle thing, the original article did not use the dock as the example. I just added "like the dock" into the translation to tell you what are the other accessories. To be honest, I really hope they are not referring to the dock.

Oh thank goodness, I would be shocked if they are actually desperate enough to cut costs that way.

I don't get why they are being coy over mobile games and if it has a touchscreen, it seems like a blunder to miss both on a device that many consumers would look at as a tablet... your not talking about a huge expense to cover a base that can only help the platform...

They're being coy because they are aware of public perception from gamers.

Sony was aware of it too, they announced the basic set up of a game console, The PS4 that plays games without any other features. Hooray say gamers. Xbox 1 did the opposite (alongside obvious policy failings) Boo say gamers. The reaction from gamers yesterday for the Switch reveal was largely positive.

Unfortunately, anything that is remotely different in gaming get chastised as gimmicky. Having mobile games being shown implies that the system is not a proper games system. Etc etc. I would suggest that if the reveal yesterday did show elements of non traditional gaming elements, the reaction would have been a lot more sour. That is how fickle some gamers are.

It's a really sad situation to see, but nintendo, like sony, i think have learnt that gamers are a peculiar breed and they need to navigate them first, then ease in the extra features in time so that we are comfortable with them.

I mean the only reason why the NX was originally announced a couple years back was to ease concerns that nintendo were going mobile.

Details will come soon.

Zedark

Yeah, I don't think they would mean the dock, but rather the Pro controller (in the official press release, they refer to this controller as 'optional') and maybe the joycon gtip accessory (the controller that hold the two joycon parts). No way they will sell the dock separate if they want to position this as a console.

Weng

But will you be able to use Wii Remotes?

I hope so. If not I hope there will be at least some kind of option for pointer controls. I don't want to play something like Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Sin & Punishment or other FPS & TPS without pointer controls.

KAL2006

Banned
(take from the other, later thread)

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. Launch day availability of the Switch better include the Dock as the main version at retail, rather than what happened with the likes of PS VR where the bundle was only available in limited quantities, and everyone else had to buy things sepereately.. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.

In the West it will be sold with a dock
In Japan it will be sold Separately so they can sell it as cheap as possible.

Darkangel

I'm thinking there will be a GCN, Wii, DS and 3DS virtual console (assuming there is a touch screen). Wii U can't really be emulated on mobile hardware so remasters seem like the best bet.

They probably could have used the 3/DS cart design again, but maybe they needed to change it for better performance or something.

Wait the dock doesn't come with it? It's a separate accessory? Am I reading that right

Please see my quote.

Basically, Nintendo only confirmed that NS is definitely bundled with both Joy Cons. Regarding other accessories, they will announce later.

So it won't come with the dock? I thought it was a home system "first and foremost". I never particularly bought that, but it seems especially not the case without a dock.

Edit: On the above, ok, so they are just being stupidly coy again. It may still have a dock. I just hope it does, because w/o it what's the point?

(take from the other, later thread)

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. Launch day availability of the Switch better include the Dock as the main version at retail, rather than what happened with the likes of PS VR where the bundle was only available in limited quantities, and everyone else had to buy things sepereately.. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.

This isn't my takeaway from this. What I think it implies is that all SKUs across all regions for the Switch will have the base unit and the joycons, but each region may have different SKUs. For example, Japan as a handheld-dominated country will not bundle anything together to keep costs down, whereas in the US you will never have to buy things separately because you won't be able to buy things separately.

Razorskin

----- ------
But will you be able to use Wii Remotes?

I hope so. If not I hope there will be at least some kind of option for pointer controls. I don't want to play something like Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Sin & Punishment or other FPS & TPS without pointer controls.
The pointer is dead, let it die.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
- The packaging of other accessories (like the dock) will be announced separately for different regions before launch
Hoping that it includes a power supply. Would be nice.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I thought the whole point of the switch was to be a console and portable. Why are they making the dock an accessory? Maybe that will be Japan only but they are going to lose on word of mouth marketing if the fucking dock is an expensive extra in the US.

Metal B

Ah, the PS+ strategy to win goodwill when a first party is entering a race in that generation from behind. So that means paid online gaming is a lock next generation! >_<
Yeah, it could happen, but Nintendo at least things of the children
as "Those bastards without there own income!"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Takashi Mochizuki says that it will come also with the dock. The Grip is not clear.

Nintendo: Switch would come with Joy Con L&R as well as Dock at least. Joy Con Grip no clear answer.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789272470716944385

jonno394

This isn't my takeaway from this. What I think it implies is that all SKUs across all regions for the Switch will have the base unit and the joycons, but each region may have different SKUs. For example, Japan as a handheld-dominated country will not bundle anything together to keep costs down, whereas in the US you will never have to buy things separately because you won't be able to buy things separately.

I hope you are right :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm sure it won't be long before it's rooted so BC emulators would be possible.

So 3DS Switch and WiiU are meant to co-exist going forward? This isn't their nextgen console or handheld?

Nintendo logic: "We are going to stop making Wii Us, start making Switches, and move all our teams to working full time on Switch games. The Switch is not a successor to the Wii U, though."

Metal B

I thought the whole point of the switch was to be a console and portable. Why are they making the dock an accessory? Maybe that will be Japan only but they are going to lose on word of mouth marketing if the fucking dock is an expensive extra in the US.
To sell Switches to Daddy, Mommy, little Brother and big Sister separately. A household only needs one dock, but properly many Switches.

Zedark

They are most likely not, the poster of that just interjected the dock in there without any reason (he seems to think of the dock as an accessory, rather than stuff like the pro controller). Nintendo wouldn't present this as their home console and then say the dock is not included. This is without doubt a misinterpretation by jonno394, hope he provides an edit to his post to reflect that the dock comment was his own interpretation (based on nothing substantial, basically).

Edit: https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789272470716944385 tells us the dock is in fact in the box, with the joycon grip uncertain. As people have said: crisis averted :p

duckroll

Well, I think the question phrasing and answer phrasing are both interesting.

Q: Will everything that was revealed today - the main unit, the dock, the Joy-Con, and the Joy-Con grip, be included in the package?

A: The details of the product composition will be announced later in each region before release. We intend to include both Joy-Cons - Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R), as a pair.

This basically leaves the dock and the grip in question. I definitely think there will be multiple SKUs, including one targeted a portable gamers.

It can be both and still offer a lower priced SKU to those who only wants it for one purpose.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's great to hear!

KingSnake, would you kindly remove the "(like the dock)" comment in my translation? Sorry for all the confusions in this thread.

Done.

Crises averted, the dock is most likely in the box.

Well, I think the question phrasing and answer phrasing are both interesting.

Q: Will everything that was revealed today - the main unit, the dock, the Joy-Con, and the Joy-Con grip, be included in the package?

A: The details of the product composition will be announced later in each region before release. We intend to include both Joy-Cons - Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R), as a pair.

This basically leaves the dock and the grip in question. I definitely think there will be multiple SKUs, including one targeted a portable gamers.

There is another take on this:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789272470716944385

Top Bottom