• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Famitsu asks about BC, battery life and mobile games

I don't think that the dock counts as an accessory, I am fairly sure it will ship with all units in the launch window. I can certainly see them doing a dockless SKU in japan but in the west they'd be insane to do something like that.

Dockless still sounds dumb in that scenario because it's also a charging cradle.

Crazyorloco

About mobile games: The Google Play twitter account tweeted about the Switch reveal. Could mean something or the guy behind it just reacted to it. Especially since there were rumors that the Switch (NX) would run with Android. But hey, we on GAF started to speculate on less.

Interesting, the blizzard hearthstone account also made a mention of Switch yesterday. I get a feeling android will be on this thing.

If so, this machine is going to be awesome.

Astral Dog

How can you recreate the features of the 3DS without a big hassle? You have no (properly) stylus, no second screen and no way to simulate two screens without playing it in an awkward position (screen at the 90 angle, both controller or the pro controllers and you still need to touch the screen ... sounds terrible). Better for them to complete stretch BC and create ports.
You will get your Wii U BC in the form of handheld ports and remasters.you just have to pay a small price for those :)

Honestly, when I'm sitting here reading this:

When asked whether the Nintendo Switch would be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, Nintendo replied that it wouldn’t be the case, as it’s not a successor to either platforms.

But there’s something really interesting about that answer: Nintendo clearly specifies that you will not be able to use Wii U game discs and Nintendo 3DS cards.

And from there we jump to this:
Does that mean downloadable games and digital versions of games will be compatible, and that the lack of retro-compatibility for physical copies of games is only due to the expected lack of disc drive/3DS card slot?

I feel like we're getting into Dumb and Dumber "So you're saying there's a chance?" territory.

Instro

Them saying it's not a WiiU successor, or a 3DS successor for that matter, is really annoying. It just makes me think that there is other hardware coming, and that I should hold off on buying this thing.

Koozek

Dockless still sounds dumb in that scenario because it's also a charging cradle.
There's no way you can't also charge the Switch with USB (and hopefully it also charges the attached Cons). But as I wondered in my posts above, how do you charge the Cons without a Grip while playing on TV if it turns out the Switch can't stream without being docked?

If the games are downloadable and there's decent storage space, I'm completely fine with it. I am seriously considering getting this for the massive back catalogue if so.

It is...inadvisable to get any non BC Nintendo platform for Nintendo's "massive back catalogue" of games.

Not unless you enjoy the slow drip of releases over time that Nintendo is known for praying that your favorite legacy games even make it onto the platform.

Them saying it's not a WiiU successor, or a 3DS successor for that matter, is really annoying. It just makes me think that there is other hardware coming, and that I should hold off on buying this thing.

I don't know why you arrived at this conclusion. I think that they're just stating the fact that this clearly isn't a direct successor to either of those lines.

Kreed

Nintendo does this a lot when they release hardware they think is "risky". For example, with the Nintendo DS they originally refused to say it was a successor to the Gameboy line when it was first released in case the system failed and they had to release a "true successor" to the Gameboy. This is definitely the case for the Wii U, IMO. For the 3DS, I think it's still up in the air, but the moment you see Nintendo announce a non spin off Pokemon game for the system, then I would say it's the successor for their portables as well.

(take from the other, later thread)

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. Launch day availability of the Switch better include the Dock as the main version at retail, rather than what happened with the likes of PS VR where the bundle was only available in limited quantities, and everyone else had to buy things sepereately.. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.

I don't think the dock will be sold separately, but may or may not be sold in other regions like Japan, where mobile gaming is very popular.

Qwark

Touch support has to be a feature, right? I don't know how mobile games would even be possible without it. It's pretty much a standard at this point.

Fewr

As i wrote before couldnt ninty pull a sega cd and provide an extension that would let the consumer run wii and wii u discs at least?

Doesn't make sense from a $$ point of view.
Why do that when you can sell digital VC versions of the games.

I think they mean the end of the DS and Wii systems, like the end of the Game Boy family of systems for example. i.e. no backwards compatibility at all.

Koren

It only has one screen.....how would that work?
Well, 2DS also has a single screen (and a small piece of plastic on top of it to divide it in two) ;)

I would have liked the possibility of 3DS BC maybe later, but since they completely changed the cart interface (far less connectors, it's really close to SD), you probably couldn't insert a cart in a Switch, unfortunately.

Wildean

Always surprised how much BC seems to mean to people. It's a nice feature to have, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

It would bother me a lot more if they don't pack in the grip, or failing that, the pro controller.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
There's no way you can't also charge the Switch with USB (and hopefully it also charges the attached Cons). But as I wondered in my posts above, how do you charge the Cons without a Grip while playing on TV if it turns out the Switch can't stream without being docked?

I assume you don't, but I also assume the Grip will be included.

My guess is the Grip can be USB charged, simultaneously charging the attached Cons, while playing on TV. Using the grip is just something people wanting to play freehand will have to put up with if they run out of power before their session is done.

thefro

I hope not. There's no reason for Android to be on it

Easy ports of the mobile media apps that wouldn't get versions on the Switch in a timely fashion otherwise would be nice to have. I don't want the base OS to be android, but if it could run individual apps (kinda like how Win 10 apps run without messing with the OS) it'd be cool.

DavidDesu

Here's hoping they've designed the controller slots to allow for additional battery grip accessories. I mean why wouldn't you. Could easily kill 2 birds with one stone and lots of potential for add on sales for the accessories if they made official ones..

Koozek

I assume you don't, but I also assume the Grip will be included.

My guess is the Grip can be USB charged, simultaneously charging the attached Cons, while playing on TV. Using the grip is just something people wanting to play freehand will have to put up with if they run out of power before their session is done.
Yep, would make the most sense. What made me unsure in the first place was that in the OP it only said the Cons were packed-in and nothing about the Grip.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Yep, would make the most sense. What made me unsure in the first place was that in the OP it only said the Cons were packed-in and nothing about the Grip.

Yeah. The Pro controller however, was described as an optional alternative to the Grip, by Nintendo, which to me, implies the Grip is an included "non optional" accessory.

From http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/first-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

It just sounds like the "third pillar" talk that we heard when the DS was announced.

Top Bottom