• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
I hope the OS gets significantly enhanced in time for the online subscriptions.

And I think handling that stuff from a phone is stupid. Why would I want to have to use two devices to accomplish one task?

sirap

I mean you could. With a ruler. A lot of people who thought they had straight switch consoles noticed the slight imperfect angle.

Alright, I'll take one as soon as I get home. I've already measured it with a ruler a few days ago when someone first brought up this issue.

Fortunately mine was straight out of the box, but I am afraid it'll develop a warp or cracks with more handheld use (I've been keeping it docked most of the time)

Kudo

Out of genuine curiosity, can anyone from the UK or Europe in general confirm if they have the warped Switch?

No signs here and my dock is straight too, no scratches after few dockings, but I did apply tempered glass just in case now.

Silvard

I've been using mine for about a week, 90% of the time docked.

ZeiEDZ7.jpg

There's virtually no gap (less than a millimeter on the right) between the ruler and the console. Compared to other pictures of curved switches at similar angles I think I can assume this one is as straight as possible.

My hypothesis is that bending is yet another manufacturing defect and some are coming out of the box already bent.

ajim

Picked up mine last week. Got the neon one, man it's beautiful. I still don't think it's as sexy as a portable as the new Vita revisions but it's great.

I haven't had any issues with docking or anything yet either.

Zelda is awesome. Fast is good but a bit barebones and ai sucks, and bomberman is okay at best.

spekkeh

Banned
There seems to be a slight curvature to my Switch, but I only noticed it because people were talking about it. Have had no problems so far and already got dragged into the scratches scare which turned out to be a lot of bullshit over nothing, so I'm not going to fuss about it. Unless you have difficulty getting it into your dock I think a lot of you are obsessing over nothing.

sirap

There seems to be a slight curvature to my Switch, but I only noticed it because people were talking about it. Have had no problems so far and already got dragged into the scratches scare which turned out to be a lot of bullshit over nothing, so I'm not going to fuss about it. Unless you have difficulty getting it into your dock I think a lot of you are obsessing over nothing.

Not this again...

Silvard

Please don't dismiss legitimate issues just because you aren't experiencing them yourself.

mossypne

Just picked up a switch on my way into uni, when trying to connect to the uni wifi i need to input my username and password to get access. The switch only asks for a password.

They need it update it to also ask for a username if needed.

spekkeh

Banned
Just picked up a switch on my way into uni, when trying to connect to the uni wifi i need to input my username and password to get access. The switch only asks for a password.

They need it update it to also ask for a username if needed.
Agreed this is a really stupid oversight. At least I hope it's an oversight.

Breath of the Wild doesn't support HD rumble right? Found conflicting information online. Does the Pro controller have HD rumble like the joycons do? Is there a demo that makes use of HD rumble I can experience for free or is buying 1-2 switch my only option?

Arttemis

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I think the scare was bullshit, not the issues themselves.
I still think that's nonsense. The thread "scared" me into checking and I did have tiny micro scratches. I now use a tempered glass protector and have no fear of additional scratches while the screen is 100% the same visually.

Breath of the Wild doesn't support HD rumble right? Found conflicting information online. Does the Pro controller have HD rumble like the joycons do? Is there a demo that makes use of HD rumble I can experience for free or is buying 1-2 switch my only option?
Pro Controller has HD rumble, but Zelda doesn't feature it. I don't know of any game that does yet.

Nope. When has Nintendo ever been on the cutting edge on controller tech other than rumble which not many give a crap about anymore.
Analog stick 20 years ago, waggle and touch a dozen years ago? Nah, it's really the headphone jack in 2017 which defines cutting edge.

Sh0k

I don't think it's the problem with the dock mode since I barely use it docked at all but mine is bent

I believe is more a manufacture defect than using the Switch docked. I have over 180 hours playing Zelda, 90% of the time the Switch is in the dock and it looks fine, not warped.

spared

You're right, Junior. Personally speaking, I posted a lie to fan the flames. The rest of the photos are 'shopped. You cracked the case.

If I am the Junior, then the Senior should be a little more mature about the situation and simply contact Nintendo to get these things fixed instead of losing some of his gaming time to take pictures? This seems to be thread here and this is one of the most childish thing I've never really understood. "Oh look, my console is broken! *crieess*" Let's post it on GAF!... sincerely. Grow up people.

chewydogg

I have a launch day console and I noticed the "bend" right away. It's not completely obvious, but I could definitely tell it wasn't perfectly straight. Doesnt bother me at all. It hasn't gotten any worse after 150ish hours of Zelda.

jts

...hate me...
My console doesn't look bent but I will not bother checking it with a ruler to be sure. What do I even gain from it?

Way past that launch mad obsession about the hardware. Enjoy your console, people. If it has a problem, contact Nintendo about it and get it replaced or fixed.

jokkir

If I am the Junior, then the Senior should be a little more mature about the situation and simply contact Nintendo to get these things fixed instead of losing some of his gaming time to take pictures? This seems to be thread here and this is one of the most childish thing I've never really understood. "Oh look, my console is broken! *crieess*" Let's post it on GAF!... sincerely. Grow up people.

Uh, it's more of seeing if anyone else is having the issue and just see how widespread this issue actually is.

I mean, you're in gaming discussion and we're discussing the possible issues of the console and you're complaining about the discussions?

And you're just downplaying the issues as well. You're implying people are trying to find problems when there isn't and even say that some of the images may have been Photoshopped. Come on, son.

I love my Switch and the 100+ hours I put into Zelda but the hardware issues shouldn't be excused so easily.

ParityBit

So can you just pick any old USB-C charger and cable for nightstand charging?

(bonus question: How does the whole charging thing work on the JoyCons? I am confused as to when I would need them charged if not using them in the dock)

spekkeh

Banned
I thought the day one update added support for web login on wifi? Or is this a separate thing with directly logging into a wifi point?

University WiFis like the one he has have a Enterprise WPA2 encryption (username password), they're not unsecured with a web login. Eduroam has Enterprise WPA2, so it's definitely not an isolated case.

Silvard

I had to hold myself back to not reply to this garbage post in a way that I would end up regretting.

First you cast doubt on the veracity of people's reports of this issue, then you try to lampoon them for bringing awareness of the problem and sharing pictures so others can know what to look out for?

379ch.gif

Short of having a case of defensive fanboyism, what could possibly be the reason for you to take such an irrational position?

F34R

I don't have a rule handy, but I put it on a flat level glass work station. I can press down on the corners and it barely moves, but it does move nonetheless.

Mine hasn't ever been in the dock. Launch day grey model. Less than 100hrs on it.

deleted

If I'd order a second set of joycons from Amazon, would they be 'fixed' by now?

Don't really want to go through the hassle of sending them in for repairs at Nintendo.

Arttemis

I thought I'd post this here, too, as it's the most singular source for the issue on GAF, and the first link is to the discussion on Reddit. I spent dozens of minutes on this, and thought others might appreciate effort.

==========================================

BENT SWITCH:

OP's Post:
I got my Switch at launch and noticed a few days later after while looking at the centre tablet that it was slightly bent. I thought it was just my Switch but turns out at least two other people are experiencing this issue as well.

This is an image (not my photo btw) of how mine sort of looks:
qnM4Nle.png

My photos (still need to take extra)

sHHfnFz.jpg

OYUE1f5.jpg

As you can see, it's slightly bent. I do plan on returning it back to Nintendo but maybe at a later time to see if they implement save transferring first (since I put 90+ hours into Zelda already and don't want to lose that progress). And yes, I do have a case for the console from the very beginning but still noticed the problem.

Anyone else have a bent Switch?

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6311k9/the_nintendo_switch_is_starting_to_warp_while/

Whelp...

ZWNw4Tjh.jpg

What a piece of crap

I posted this several pages back, but looks like the same issue here with my switch.

hSJcE3Z.jpg

Mines bent also, I've played mostly in docked mode. I wonder if the heat is causing it to warp.

Mine is bent too but I didn't notice until I was looking for it.

Continued: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233243816&postcount=9905
Is not about the dock. I used the hori stand and a usb cable extender to avoid using the craptastic dock included by nintendo and my switch is bet, no too much to be noticeable but sure is bent.

Yeah, without pictures of that same person's switch out of the box, it is hard to say anything.

Mine has a slight curve, I guess? I don't know whether it is a defect or within standard production variation.

Fuck. Just did the ruler test.

Mine is bent. :(

Just checked mine. There's some separation between the front, and back plastic, around the volume rocker.
This sucks! :(

Posted in the other thread for this but my Switch is also bent. I don't believe it was from being docked though, it's just the way it is I think.

I bought it from Amazon Warehouse meaning it's possible it had prior use to me owning it, though I don't really think that's the case.

Mine too is slightly bent. However, I first noticed it a least a week ago, but assumed it was either part of the deign or "manufacturing variation." Until we see someone document a fresh, out of the box switch warping over time due to the heat, I'm going to assume the bend is most likely due to the same rushed manufacturing timeline that likely lead to the bent docks. As long as this issue doesn't brick the system, or continue to worsen to the point of making the Swirch uncomfortable to hold or make it difficult to put the system in and out of the dock, I doubt this will become an issue for most people.

But I must say, as much as I love the Switch as a concept and a thing I use almost daily, the number of hardware issues are starting to really stack up. The joycon connectivity issue (supposedly fixed now), bent docks and scratched systems, and now possibly this warping issue. Hell, my joycons are even getting a little loose and creaky. Really hope Nintendo gets this stuff sorted out before these issues start to penetrate to the casual audience and tarnish the systems reputation before it gets a real foothold in the market and more developer support.

Really, really glad I bought a replacement plan from Best Buy.

UNBENT SWITCH:

I've been using mine for about a week, 90% of the time docked.

ZeiEDZ7.jpg

There's virtually no gap (less than a millimeter on the right) between the ruler and the console. Compared to other pictures of curved switches at similar angles I think I can assume this one is as straight as possible.

My hypothesis is that bending is yet another manufacturing defect and some are coming out of the box already bent.

Personally, my Switch appears to be unbent. No wobble when paced on a flat surface. I play exclusively in docked mode, with my dock turned on its side and elevated 0.75" (with the opening unblocked) for ventilation.

Mine does wobble a tiny bit if I lay it on its back. But it's totally unnoticeable to the naked eye. Probably have 80 hrs of playtime on it.

Twookie

just noticed my switch is bent too, just so slightly. luckily not enough to wobble though

didn't notice it before (it's not really noticable honestly) but now that I know that it's bent, I just cannot stop noticing it :(

AbaFadi

Banned
Has anyone else noticed in Zelda that when opening the map while you are moving Link with the left control stick that the cursor does not move unless you lift your finger off the control stick? Similar thing happened while I was ZL targeting an enemy and accessed my inventory. Is this normal?

Type40

Anyone here get a copy of Binding Of Isaac without the manual and stickers? Trying to figure out if the second printing has the day one update pre-loaded onto the cartridge.

It's prolly part of the same batch. I don't see them having a revised cart for quite some time.

thatJohann

If I'd order a second set of joycons from Amazon, would they be 'fixed' by now?

Don't really want to go through the hassle of sending them in for repairs at Nintendo.

same question too, but I would assume so. My Switch is new batch and its working perfectly, but I got the gray version when I really wanted the Neon, so debating whether to trade in my gray joy cons at gamestop and get the neon ones but scared of getting a dud lol

t hicks

Banned
Did the ruler test with my switch and it's *barely* bent on the right (I had to look really close up to even notice it) so it's a non issue for me tbh, though if this does get worse over time I wont hesitate to send it back. I'm more worried about my left joycons analog stick, it already feels really loose so I'll probably call support about that sometime

japtor

Anyone own a 3rd party stand? I'm looking at the Hori one because it's collapsible and adjustable but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions.
I've been thinking about this one, although my concern is that it probably won't be as flat as the Hori one when folded up. Dimension wise the footprint looks like it might be smaller though, and you get more adjustability with it. One nice tiny detail the Hori has is little nubs to fit into the divots on the bottom of the Switch, probably not a huge deal in practice though since I don't think it secures it any more than just gravity, just a simple alignment thing.

Eria

new with switch... one question guys: It is ok if I play in docked mode meanwhile the switch is charging? It is bad for the battery?

ps yup I know my english is bad ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom