• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Partners - Bethesda, Atlus, Capcom, EA, Epic, Unity, more

Plum

Just like the Wii and the Wii U, right?

Just covering in case no one pointed this out yet.

The Wii (and DS) got a ton of 3rd party support, it just wasn't hardcore enough to be considered "proper."

As for the Wii U, look through the thread, there's comparisons and many arguments showing that it's not like that either.

TunaLover

THQ is missing from the Wii U list, Tanthalus/Straight Right, TT games, Platinum, 505 games, Criterion, Vigil alot more if you consider developers and not only publishers. Or course Switch list is a sample it should include more developers over time.

Luigiv

"Hudson Soft"
1240393095655.jpg

#FucKonami

THQ is missing from the Wii U list, Tanthalus/Straight Right, TT games, Platinum, 505 games, Criterion, Vigil alot more if you consider developers and not only publishers. Or course Switch list is a sample it should include more developers over time.

Did you really take a look at the list? Because half of your suggestions are there.

THQ, Platinum, 505, TT games...

if nintendo is listing third parties supporting the machine, and support comes to the machine, then that means they listed third parties that have supported the machine. there aren't contracts in place to show that everyone's packed into a thelma and louise style final ride. am i supposed to be upset that sony put out a list of publishers that never supported the ngp after its first two years like level-5, or should i acknowledge that time travelers and lbx were actually things and for very obvious reasons they moved on to more profitable platforms?

No but you will be wary next time Sony has a handheld. Let me clarify my point again. Nintendo has failed to meet expectations numerous times despite promising good third party support, hence no benefit of doubt is given.

That's not a bait and switch, that happened because largely no one bought their ports, and thus continue to support wasn't economical as the new gen arrived.

True, its more akin to failed expectations.

MacTag

Banned
No but you will be wary next time Sony has a handheld. Let me clarify my point again. Nintendo has failed to meet expectations numerous times despite promising good third party support, hence no benefit of doubt is given.
After EyeToy and Move I guess we should be super wary about PSVR too then. No future there obviously.

And numerous times? Outside the companies that died or collapsed (THQ, Hudson, Majesco) we got most of the games off that big ass 3DS announcement list. Including all four Atlus entries which everyone ridiculed. Wii and DS were loaded with 3rd party support, as was GBA and even Gamecube despite it's low sales. Even the N64 actually saw support from it's pathetic "dream team". The only Nintendo platforms I can think of where the prelaunch support lists proved ultimately unfounded due to the systems failing were Virtual Boy and Wii U. So a whole twice in over 30 years of consoles is numerous?

Surely we will get some 3rd party game announcements between now and January? Nintendo surely aren't going to be that draconian?

Seeing the hardware is one thing, and lists of "partners" are all well and good - but I need to see some games before I get too hyped.

Is Rockstar included under Take 2 and is Blizzard included under Activision?

If so, really the only major standout is CD Projekt Red, especially when they said that they enjoyed the Switch when they saw it (until it later came out they were joking)

Also Valve, but do you really expect them?

thefro

Unless it's completely trivial, a lot of 2017 software will not be showing up considering how late dev kits were shown.

Image & Form (Steamworld series) says they had a dev kit before E3 2016. If an indie dev had a kit at that point the major publishers surely did.

jmizzal

Ubisoft will give them something (BG&E2 most likely). Remember Rayman Legends and I think one other game were originally Wii U Exclusive but because sales just weren't there they were ported later on to PS4/XB1

Ubisoft is gonna port all there games on Nintendo Switch early at least, they did it for WiiU and it was hard to develop for

WiiU got two AssCreed games, Watch_Dogs, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, and a bunch of other casual games

Also on 3DS they had Splinter Cell and a Ghost Recon game on there at launch

The only Nintendo console where a lot of western 3rd parties came late was Wii

I fully expect Ghost Recon Wild Lands, For Honor, and AssCreed 2017 along with BG&E on Switch

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Take Two on there is good for their 2K sports games - they can draw a lot of people in with those, giving the platform a nice userbase from the jump.

Brinbe

3rd party will finally be back. No need to waste extra time/resources on figuring out gimmicks. Just straight-forward ports. And with the hybridization of the mobile/home markets, the user base will be there. Hopefully, we'll get games like RDR2 and EA sports titles there too.

All Nintendo needs to make sure when it comes to western third party is they get the yearly games like COD, Madden, FIFA, etc. as a good start.

thefro

All Nintendo needs to make sure when it comes to western third party is they get the yearly games like COD, Madden, FIFA, etc. as a good start.

Logically when you game it out it should be a strong launch for Nintendo unless the price is awful.

Zelda's a winner and is going to move systems in the West. We'll have the new Mario game, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash that will move systems.

Splatoon/Dragon Quest XI/Monster Hunter (which is surely coming) will move them in Japan. It logically will get the big Japanese core game titles and RPGs since there's no good place for them to go otherwise.

Taking COD, Madden, Fifa, etc on the go with you is going to appeal to some people. I think they'll get COD and Madden/FIFA by this time next year is just going to require EA getting Frostbite going. That's not going to be tons of people but it's a viable audience when you add up Nintendo fans, kids, and people who may have bought a PSP/Vita in the past.

RedSwirl

That list for the Switch to me looks mostly Japanese. Don't go in expecting ports of all the major multiplatform AAA games. I still think we're generally gonna get a souped-up version of the 3DS and Vita software libraries.

Companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Take 2 might try out a few of their ultra-mainstream games like sports games and other really casual stuff (Just Dance from Ubi). EA might try Madden and FIFA, but not Battlefield or Titanfall. Epic being up there pretty much just means Unreal Engine.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Vita also had a pretty huge list of third parties on board initially. Rockstar were even on the list. I remember because I remember jumping out of my seat celebrating the inevitable San Andreas Stories that was surely coming. Sigh.

Schlorgan

Was Destiny Online-Only? Only every watched videos and tried it out a a friends place.
I thought you could play on your own?!

It was online only. Internet connection required to play (anything, even the SP content).

Tethering the NS to the phone internet on the go... hummm.... Can see tha happening....

Maybe they'll partner with AT&T and put out a 3G version.
:3

labx

Banned
Okey, I think its time to move on. I have my OG ps4, I will play the games there Last Guardian, Horizon, Nier, RDR 2, etc. But its time to go to nintendo.

Lothars

if nintendo is listing third parties supporting the machine, and support comes to the machine, then that means they listed third parties that have supported the machine. there aren't contracts in place to show that everyone's packed into a thelma and louise style final ride. am i supposed to be upset that sony put out a list of publishers that never supported the ngp after its first two years like level-5, or should i acknowledge that time travelers and lbx were actually things and for very obvious reasons they moved on to more profitable platforms?
They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt regarding third parties. They have said in the past that they will have constant third parties games than nothing. I think it's more of I will believe it when I see it if Nintendo actually keeps the third parties releasing games because historically they don't have the support since the N64.

DMONKUMA

That list for the Switch to me looks mostly Japanese. Don't go in expecting ports of all the major multiplatform AAA games. I still think we're generally gonna get a souped-up version of the 3DS and Vita software libraries..

I would be fine with that as I was expecting I got either way for this system not to get a lot of western support but it would be perfect for Japanese developers.

The list looks very good and is very excited, especially when you compare it to the Wii U list, and when you consider that they wouldn't put a name on the list unless there is actually at least one game coming.

But it's best to advise caution, especially when we have Matt saying as of a few months ago not to expect a massive change in western third party support.

Cautiously optimistic about the support for now.

That list for the Switch to me looks mostly Japanese. Don't go in expecting ports of all the major multiplatform AAA games. I still think we're generally gonna get a souped-up version of the 3DS and Vita software libraries.

Companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Take 2 might try out a few of their ultra-mainstream games like sports games and other really casual stuff (Just Dance from Ubi). EA might try Madden and FIFA, but not Battlefield or Titanfall. Epic being up there pretty much just means Unreal Engine.

Out of the software companies, there's only 5 more Japanese companies.

AniHawk

okay but those third-parties actually delivered games. those lists weren't a deception.

They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt regarding third parties. They have said in the past that they will have constant third parties games than nothing. I think it's more of I will believe it when I see it if Nintendo actually keeps the third parties releasing games because historically they don't have the support since the N64.

they have - especially on handheld, and in japan.

I don't see why that is, considering the Switch is still following the philosophies both presidents held forever.

Switch is Iwata's baby.

We're talking about third-party support.

That's not a safe conclusion at all.

Could you care to explain why some 3rd parties with historic of antagonism against Nintendo like EA, Take-Two, Epic and Bethesda decided to support Switch after it's biggest flop when they ignored for most of the time it's most succesful platform of all time (Wii)?

Yamauchi was well known to be hard boiled and unfriendly to third-parties. He said he deliberately ordered the N64 to be hard to developed to repel untalented third-parties away. Iwata followed that strictly unfriendly management style toward third-parties at his tenure, especially against western devs. No secret why western support shrinked considerably toward GameCube days.

Devs aren't stupid. They won't ignore a userbase of >100 million because "the hardware is bad" or whatever. The reason why devs ignored Wii was because they had issues with Nintendo and their management. Otherwise, they would have mass supported it. Devs are now supporting Nintendo because there isn't someone in the head of the company antagonizing them.

Top Bottom