• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It really is beyond just poor advertising, it's no advertising. Which to me means it's intentional. Which in turn to me means they're planning on effectively 'rebooting'. Ironically that will only work if the product is out of Joe publics minds completely (you can't really reinvent yourself whilst everyone is watching, so to speak)

I really am expecting a big advertising/promotion push in the next couple months. Hearing that Nintendo will be talking to retailers to outline their plans to improve sales "over the next few weeks" only compounds that belief.

Advertising what? Pikmin 3, Game & Wario? Maybe they have truly wild expectations for Wii Fit U to somehow recapture the same exact market with the same thing again but now you can see your fat arse's kilo weight numbers displayed in HD? Other than a big ass trade price decrease, not entirely sure what they can alleviate retailer concerns with other than a pledge of "at least a game a month for the rest of the year" and even then I don't think they can promise that.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It really is beyond just poor advertising, it's no advertising. Which to me means it's intentional. Which in turn to me means they're planning on effectively 'rebooting'. Ironically that will only work if the product is out of Joe publics minds completely (you can't really reinvent yourself whilst everyone is watching, so to speak)

I really am expecting a big advertising/promotion push in the next couple months. Hearing that Nintendo will be talking to retailers to outline their plans to improve sales "over the next few weeks" only compounds that belief.

I agree with this. My current guess is they're trying to wait until the fiscal year is over, to deliver as much profit as possible, while minimizing any extra expense.

javac

Yup, contrary to everyone else, as a Wii U owner this makes me excited! I got it for £199 at launch anyways so the more they push it and makes games for it, and the more they entice people the better.

Yeah thats where sega started to go wrong by releasing new HW so quickly. The earliest any new Nintendo Console arrives is in 4 years.

Pikmin 3 should be out well, well before this happens. And the bells and whistles problem isn't going to go away (more powerful hardware would give them more breathing room, anyway). I'm not saying a hardware upgrade is the singular fix, either.

And how is their trust going to raise if the Wii U never picks up?

As liger said above, releasing a new system soon after is suicide. People would rather the Wii U was made into a more viable preposition instead with better price and more games and services and refinements.

Raven77

But what about the 100 million Wii owners? Or the 20 million I'm guessing hardcore Nintendo fans who bought the GameCube? The 30 million people who bought the 3DS?

I wouldn't count the Wii console sales numbers as a marker of success for the Wii U.

The casual crowd is fickle, when the fad and fun of the "new thing" wears off after a while they move on to whatever is shiny and new. FACT.

Granted the Wii continued to sell well for quite a while. Probably because there WERE some great games for it (Mario Galaxy, Metroids, Zeldas, etc.) AND combine that with artificial shortages created by Nintendo and a marketing campaign that was able to keep the "hype" going for a while.

Miles X

The success was due to the appeal of Wii Remote/WiiSports and an impulse buy price of £179 in 2006. It was perfect for the casual gamer.
Nintendo (Iwata & Miyamoto) decided to abandon a successful concept and try to win back the hardcore gamer with Wii U. It was bound to fail as the XBox, PS3 fans are not interested in Nintendo consoles/games.

Right, I don't care about the why or how, it still proves "UK folks" don't hate all Nintendo home consoles.

onipex

I'm kind of happy this is putting pressure on Nintendo. They need a process to get their games out sooner. I'm enjoying my Wii U , but I really want Pikmin out now. The Nintendoland Pikmin game has made the wait harder.

HoJu

I'm kind of happy this is putting pressure on Nintendo. They need a process to get their games out sooner.
Wouldn't this just make them rush their games?
This should hopefully make Nintendo partner up and start developing more games.

StevieP

Banned
Haha did I really just see the artificial shortages and 5-year fad thing being brought up again? I miss 2007 all of a sudden. It's like the whole "that casual audience didn't buy games" (please ignore the comparable tie ratio) stuff that continues to appear.

Javier

Wouldn't this just make them rush their games?
This should hopefully make Nintendo partner up and start developing more games.
Well, they have rushed games in desperate situations before. Mario Kart 7 wasn't intended to be released when it did, but they had to call Retro Studios to help finish the game for the Holidays in 2011. All Nintendo had was Super Mario 3D Land, and that alone wasn't going to cut it.

The wii U is trugling because it failed to get a big part of the gamers and the buyers that are "casual" don't care about the wii U because they are satisfied with the Wii or don't know that there is a difference between the Wii & the wii U.

For me , the wii U need several things :
-More games.. that's a given They have showed many but they are quite far from release

-more games with appeal..game that would define the console..game that you can't get anywhere else. New super mario wiiU doesn't count because you can get the same type of experience on the wii.
Then a better use of their franchises is required.

-A new marketing . People don't buy a wii U because it doesn't appeal to them

-A price drop. As for now , there is no reason for me to buy a console at that price given the current market and teh console capabilities.

-Dlc support for the third party games. Please tell EA to put their games Dlc available to your players ( i'm thinking about need for speed or mass effect ) but the same applies to other games.

javac

I wouldn't count the Wii console sales numbers as a marker of success for the Wii U.

The casual crowd is fickle, when the fad and fun of the "new thing" wears off after a while they move on to whatever is shiny and new. FACT.

Granted the Wii continued to sell well for quite a while. Probably because there WERE some great games for it (Mario Galaxy, Metroids, Zeldas, etc.) AND combine that with artificial shortages created by Nintendo and a marketing campaign that was able to keep the "hype" going for a while.

I agree with what your saying, apart from the fact you believe the shortages were artificial. Wii was sold out due to high demand, just look at the numbers. It was selling gangbusters. Featured on prime time TV, the lot. One of the reasons we only got white for a while was due to the fact that they couldn't keep up.

Fantastic read here.

Kainazzo

I don't say this to slight current owners, but honestly, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo treated the Wii U like the Game Boy Color... keep it rolling for two years with some solid titles and DX releases (Wind Waker HD), but eventually make it clear something more powerful will be down the line very soon. The controller screen just doesn't seem to have the promise to me motion controls had and have (even if those promises may not have been delivered on so well), and I don't like the "settle for less" approach Nintendo forced with the hardware design.

Unfortunately, they've never done this with a console before, only handhelds, and I hate the idea that the Wii U would take Iwata down with it.

To me, the Game Boy Color had a surprisingly high amount of diverse, quality content for the relatively short time it was in the spotlight. If Nintendo can repeat itself even in that way, I'll gladly jump aboard.

JazzmanZ

If the Wii is considered a fad so is the Playstation 2 and iphone.

Raven77

I agree with what your saying, apart from the fact you believe the shortages were artificial. Wii was sold out due to high demand, just look at the numbers. It was selling gangbusters. Featured on prime time TV, the lot. One of the reasons we only got white for a while was due to the fact that they couldn't keep up.

Fantastic read here.

Actually I read a news article about 4 years ago that Nintendo stated the reason they are keeping supplies low in the US is because of how weak the US Dollar was compared to the Euro.

Reggie even confirmed a long while back that the US at any given time was only getting a MAX of 40% of Wii's produced each month, again, shipments diverted in higher quantities to Europe where the console was also selling out but Nintendo was able to garner a higher amount gained on each system sold.

If the Wii is considered a fad so is the Playstation 2 and iphone.

What...? No idea how any of things are related to Wii sales numbers.

PS2's software attach rate was well beyond the Wii (that's where the manufacturer makes money, game sales)

iPhone 1-2-3-4-5 sales are strong iteration over iteration.

Again, no clue what you're talking about.

AZ Greg

Never implied that the launch wasn't flawed, but people here have an inflated idea of how home consoles will perform out of the gate in the current market. WiiU estimates were inflated, and others will be inflated as well

No doubt. But there is a difference between post-launch growing pains and tracking worse than the Gamecube...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You've definitely not been looking comprehensively. Its been made more difficult this month since I and fellow UK'rs got fed up of the "LOL UK MARKET DYIN" nonsense and forcefed statistics down their gaping maws, but before then it was a popular go to defence in these here parts.

One thing thats interesting to remember in this here era of videogame a'selling is that once arrogant and almighty GAME is a mewling kitten eager to please. Imagine what kind of fucking fresh horror Nintendo would have been facing with an unimpressed GAME of years past. Instead even ghosts like Zavvi have more balls to be getting shirty with WiiU failure these days.

I've seen that statement, but, as I said, haven't seen it stated as the main reason for the struggle. Obviously there are much worse problems here.

All they need to do is put out FAR better advertising and release dates for first party titles.

Price cut won't help when many don't see any games coming.

The only annoying thing is they left the Wii to die at the end and we all accepted it as 'well they've obviously switched full gear to Wii U!' so it was ok but other than Mario and Nintendo Land they're still struggling to get stuff out.

What were they doing all that time? :|

Pikmin shouldn't be up in the air still as far as release goes.

On one hand I'm laughing all the way to the bank with the 'bomba' game prices which I love, on the other its a bit sad I know why its happening.

They turned 3DS around but I'm not sure Wii U will go quite the same. Its a different beast.

javac

Actually I read a news article about 4 years ago that Nintendo stated the reason they are keeping supplies low in the US is because of how weak the US Dollar was compared to the Euro.

Reggie even confirmed a long while back that the US at any given time was only getting a MAX of 40% of Wii's produced each month, again, shipments diverted in higher quantities to Europe where the console was also selling out but Nintendo was able to garner a higher amount gained on each system sold.

Interesting, I'll look into it!

The only annoying thing is they left the Wii to die at the end and we all accepted it as 'well they've obviously switched full gear to Wii U!' so it was ok but other than Mario and Nintendo Land they're still struggling to get stuff out.

What were they doing all that time? :|

Pikmin shouldn't be up in the air still as far as release goes.

On one hand I'm laughing all the way to the bank with the 'bomba' game prices which I love, on the other its a bit sad I know why its happening.

They turned 3DS around but I'm not sure Wii U will go quite the same. Its a different beast.

What, all 5 games available for WiiU? The software lineup is pathetic.

Davey Cakes

The Wii U isn't a monster on content yet but it has some noteworthy games.

Nintendo Land, NSMBU, ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter, and all those are EXCLUSIVES. Then you have games like Need for Speed which look like competent ports.

Some pretty good eShop content, too. Not much in terms of exclusives but that doesn't mean the games aren't there.

I'm not saying the system doesn't need MORE though. It does. It needs quite a bit MORE. I'm just saying it's not completely devoid of content.

I dont know about excellent... And bringing a mediocre Lego game into it?

Retro developing a Metroid game would be the major draw for me to pick up one of these consoles. As much as I enjoy first party Nintendo games, they aren't enough to justify buying this dying console.

People should demand more of Nintendo.

What, all 5 games available for WiiU? The software lineup is pathetic.

Well other than Nintendo Land I have Mario, Sonic Racing, Batman, Tekken and Darksiders II all games I have enjoyed.

I want Ninja Gaiden too but its not out here.

I got all the 3rd party games cheap as shit and they were games I actually wanted so uhh sorry for enjoying cheap games?

Davey Cakes

I dont know about excellent... And bringing a Lego game into it?
Way to shit on Traveller's Tales, there. All that hard work and the game doesn't even deserve to be mentioned.

Just because Lego City is a "Lego" game doesn't mean it has no worth as part of the Wii U's library. From what I've heard it's a very good and funny open-world game that's unique amongst licensed Lego games and on top of that it's exclusive to the Wii U. What's wrong with playing up a quality title like that?

So I'm wrong for being dissatisfied with Nintendo? Buying their systems for just shy of 20 years leaves me no room to be pissed?

Yeah okay.
You're wrong for dismissing a game for no reason more critically minded than the fact you've observed its a Lego game.

You're wrong for making generalised inflammatory statements that will be in no way conducive to civil discussion. Comments like "Nintendo fans could be handed shit and they'd say thanks"

You're quickly revealing yourself as an obnoxious and unfriendly poster.

I've not played a single Lego game that I've deemed anything more than competent and inoffensive. It's not like its a franchise with high standards. Nobody would give a shit about this Wii U one if it was multiplatform.

You're wrong for dismissing a game for no reason more critically minded than the fact you've observed its a Lego game.

You're wrong for making generalised inflammatory statements that will be in no way conducive to civil discussion. Comments like "Nintendo fans could be handed shit and they'd say thanks"

You're quickly revealing yourself as an obnoxious and unfriendly poster.

First off, Ive played Lego Batman, Indiana Jones 2 and Lego City Undercover (Only 20 minutes but still) with my niece. Those games were terrible but I played them just to spend time with her.

To single Undercover out as a top WiiU game seems ridiculous.

You have a point, regarding the shit thing in my post though, so fair enough I agree with you on that.

How people stay defending Nintendo after this seems insane to me though.

ZoddGutts

It's time for Nintendo to use their ultimate trump card, a full blown Pokemon RPG for the WiiU. Only thing that they can save the system.

Javier

So I'm wrong for being dissatisfied with Nintendo? Buying their systems for just shy of 20 years leaves me no room to be pissed?

Yeah okay.
Nobody is saying you're "wrong" with your dissatisfaction with Nintendo. That's how you feel and it should be respected.

However, saying "Nintendo could give their fans shit and they'd say thanks" is insulting. People like Mario. People like Nintendo Land. People like ZombiU. People like Lego games. A lot of people, me included, own a Wii U and are happy with their purchases. Just because the system isn't doing well right now doesn't mean nobody can enjoy it.

Feel free to criticize Nintendo's practices all you want, but there's no need to guilt-trip those who have the console and like it for what it has right now. Nobody needs that.

Nobody is saying you're "wrong" with your dissatisfaction with Nintendo. That's how you feel and it should be respected.

However, saying "Nintendo could give their fans shit and they'd say thanks" is insulting. People like Mario. People like Nintendo Land. People like ZombiU. People like Lego games. A lot of people, me included, own a Wii U and are happy with their purchases. Just because the system isn't doing well right now doesn't mean nobody can enjoy it.

Feel free to criticize Nintendo's practices all you want, but there's no need to guilt-trip those who have the console and like it for what it has right now. Nobody needs that.

Fair point, edited my post.

Davey Cakes

Anybody who is happy with their Wii U purchase should be applauded.
It's not hard to be pleased with the purchase. You have to take expectations into consideration.

There are some people who never changed their mind about the Wii being a bad console and yet it had a ton of great games by the end of its life cycle. Everyone is different.

I only have Nintendo Land, NSMBU, and the three promotional VC games thus far (Balloon Fight, F-Zero, and Punch Out!!), and yet I'm pretty satisfied. I will agree that the thing could use more games but then again, I'm not buying the high profile releases this month (Lego City and Monster Hunter) and I haven't bought any eShop content other than those 30 cent VC titles, so I understand that I have selective taste. (Keep in mind that I have a DS, 3DS, and X360 as well and I'm not buying games for those systems left and right either)

It's a fun console and the games I've played are great. Plus, Miiverse as an extension of the games has been a pleasure to use. And, because of full system transfer I've been able to give away my Wii and yet continue enjoying my Wii games, retail and downloaded, so as an upgrade the Wii U was a sensible purchase.

I don't deserve applause. There's nothing impressive about being a selective gamer and a Nintendo fan and enjoying what the Wii U has provided thus far, even with the slim library.

It's not hard to be pleased with the purchase. You have to take expectations into consideration.

There are some people who never changed their mind about the Wii being a bad console and yet it had a ton of great games by the end of its life cycle. Everyone is different.

I only have Nintendo Land, NSMBU, and the three promotional VC games thus far (Balloon Fight, F-Zero, and Punch Out!!), and yet I'm pretty satisfied. I will agree that the thing could use more games but then again, I'm not buying the high profile releases this month (Lego City and Monster Hunter) and I haven't bought any eShop content other than those 30 cent VC titles, so I understand that I have selective taste. (Keep in mind that I have a DS, 3DS, and X360 as well and I'm not buying games for those systems left and right either)

It's a fun console and the games I've played are great. Plus, Miiverse as an extension of the games has been a pleasure to use. And, because of full system transfer I've been able to give away my Wii and yet continue enjoying my Wii games, retail and downloaded, so as an upgrade the Wii U was a sensible purchase.

I don't deserve applause. There's nothing impressive about being a selective gamer and a Nintendo fan and enjoying what the Wii U has provided thus far, even with the slim library.
th_RockApplause.gif

Emitan

Why would anyone buy one, even after the unofficial price cuts?

Can't wait to buy a late port, plug my pad in to recharge three times whilst it slowly downloads, experience hard locks, miss out on DLC and probably the sequel, all the while watching the older, cheaper platforms getting all the other games I want to play!

It just isn't a tempting proposition.

mh3-1-610x343.jpg

AZ Greg

This is actually a really good post. And shows exactly why Nintendo has more problems than just releasing games...

AzaK

Do some of you guys seriously think they'll price cut?!?!?! A cut is permanent but game droughts aren't.

They need to appease retailers of course, but they need to do that by showing them the games that are coming soon and how the platform intends to unfold and more importantly, be marketted.

Nintendo just must, MUST, M U S T be holding off until FYE or some sort of date to kick things into gear because it's so damned hard to fathom why they have done what they've done.

Sandfox

Anybody who is happy with their Wii U purchase should be applauded.

I'm happy with my Wii U lol.

Do some of you guys seriously think they'll price cut?!?!?! A cut is permanent but game droughts aren't.

They need to appease retailers of course, but they need to do that by showing them the games that are coming soon and how the platform intends to unfold and more importantly, be marketted.

Nintendo just must, MUST, M U S T be holding off until FYE or some sort of date to kick things into gear because it's so damned hard to fathom why they have done what they've done.

A UK only price cut seems possible IMO.

watershed

Banned
Although the UK market is depressed overall, looking at how the Wii U is selling in all major markets we have data for, I think its fair to say the thing is going the way of the gamecube if not worse (something closer to Vita or even Dreamcast). I just hope Nintendo has enough money and time to make another home console that learns from the mistake that is the Wii U.

The 3ds isn't the most interesting hardware in the world but its recovered and going to be fine. The Wii U is just a mess and lacking so much. I want Nintendo to come out swinging with at least one more awesome home console.

Top Bottom