• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dat retailer unrest.

What on Earth could any meeting with a retailer assuage fears with? "Pikmin 3 is coming and maybe that will be big?" They rush the shit out of the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart to launch in like... July?

Seems like theyre fucked and have nothing to change that with next gen consoles right on our doorsteps looking for storespace and 360+PS3 still selling.

Kyari

Wow. Now it's getting interesting.

Again, the positive is that they are publicly calling for change and that they aren't losing space, but it's not much to hold on to for Nintendo. They clearly need to cut their price to retailers hard and soon. I suspect they were waiting out the release of their (slightly) bigger games - MH Tri, Lego City - and the unofficial cut before making a move, but they need to know if retail is still so unhappy.

EDIT:

Mind you, all the data available to GAF suggests the demand is for the Premium, not the Basic, so cutting the price there and not seeing corresponding sales bumps isn't too surprising.

Both units dropped in price.

Oersted

Some UK-gaffers playing spies for us?

Why would anyone buy one, even after the unofficial price cuts?

Can't wait to buy a late port, plug my pad in to recharge three times whilst it slowly downloads, experience hard locks, miss out on DLC and probably the sequel, all the while watching the older, cheaper platforms getting all the other games I want to play!

It just isn't a tempting proposition.

The feel of a Smoky post in a Nintendo thread ;)

Edit:

Oh, and Pie and Beans is also already here.

Dat retailer unrest.

What on Earth could any meeting with a retailer assuage fears with? "Pikmin 3 is coming and maybe that will be big?" They rush the shit out of the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart to launch in like... July?

Seems like theyre fucked and have nothing to change that with next gen consoles right on our doorsteps looking for storespace and 360+PS3 still selling.

Are you trying to downplay Mario Kart and Mario 3D with a "being rushed" assumption?

The biggest problem: This system is a year too early.

It took a year for the 3DS to start getting halfway decent games. I played a lot of DS games in the early days while waiting.

Nintendo's greatest hurdle will be overcoming disinterest.

prwxv3

Yeah, there was a thread about that before the Wii U was released and many expected them to hit the ground running with HD game development (I believe I was among those). But they've obviously hit the same wall that nearly every developer ran into this generation. It's a rough one and I think those devs are happy that those days are way behind them.

the worst thing is that Nintendo had plenty and time and money to make that wall smaller. They should have expanded their studios so they can have more games to fill up the gaps because HD games take longer to make.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess, but the launch window titles should have been pretty light lifting- Pikmin 3 was a Wii game, and Game & Wario and Wii Fit U aren't exactly graphical showcases.

I would say the question is were those titles delayed because of development problems, or to try and fit at the midpoint between their launch titles and their next major titles (which are presumably Q4 2013).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why would anyone buy one, even after the unofficial price cuts?

Can't wait to buy a late port, plug my pad in to recharge three times whilst it slowly downloads, experience hard locks, miss out on DLC and probably the sequel, all the while watching the older, cheaper platforms getting all the other games I want to play!

It just isn't a tempting proposition.

There are also exclusive games for the Wii U, you know. I've played 80 hours of NSMBU without redundancy. The downloads can be done in the background, I have not even once waited for a download. Also I've had no hardlocks other than in Darksiders 2, which seems to be a quick port.

Though of course, big platformer fans probably have a Wii U already, so without any new games some price reductions won't work.

The Premium Bundle accounts for 70% - 80% of Wii U sales, that the basic bundle didn't increase in sales like the Premium Bundle should be clear and the article is only about ShopTo's Basic Bundle sales.

The Wii U ranks twice / three times as good on the german amazon than at the beginning of the year, but this doesn't give you clicks like these "The Sun - headlines".

SmokyDave

For the Nintendo games? Had a blast with NSMBU and Nintendo land. I mean I understand if people want more, or aren't interested in NSMBU/Nintendo land but acting like that makes the Wii U redundant while you cradle your Vita is a little odd, good games are always a reason to buy a system. If it doesn't have enough games out now for your liking, cool. But acting like no one will ever want one is silly, no?

And then you list the flaws of the system in quick succession...
It doesn't have good games though. The launch lineup and the future lineup are probably the worst on the market and we haven't even seen the other consoles yet. When you add that to the flaws in hardware and services and the overarching mediocrity of the device from a 'next-gen' standpoint, it just isn't worth buying. Maybe in six months, maybe in a year. Right now though, I just don't see a price cut making any difference at all.

teeny

The vast majority of the blame for the Wii U's weak performance is squarely at Nintendo's feet, but the UK's biggest retailers have barely been pushing the hardware at all. The shelf space mentioned in the article is for Nintendo products in general. Go into any supermarket and you will see the Wii U stuff jumbled in with everything else. This does much more harm in terms of consumer confusion, just as it did with the 3DS.

Not to mention that the software actually available in shops that aren't Game Group is poor as anything. The Sainsbury's I shop at regularly has a Wii U top ten that consists of Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Zombi U. There is literally nothing else on the shelf.

That space needs to be used in a much better manner. Is it true that Nintendo usually guide the retailer in this aspect, or do all companies simply leave the retailers to display however they want?

Yes, but they were specifically talking about demand for the Basic. The Premium dropped briefly to £250 in a few places, but is back to nearer £300 now. It's the one that should be down to £199, with a corresponding lower retail price.

I guess, but the launch window titles should have been pretty light lifting- Pikmin 3 was a Wii game, and Game & Wario and Wii Fit U aren't exactly graphical showcases.

...which is why I'm assuming there's some kind of tactical thinking going on. They need to hit Christmas running this year if they want any chance, so better to take the pain in the first few months of 2013 if it means you can push regular releases through the year into Christmas, then hit with Mario Kart etc. Best chance they've got.

I would say the question is were those titles delayed because of development problems, or to try and fit at the midpoint between their launch titles and their next major titles (which are presumably Q4 2013).

Bingo.

The vast majority of the blame for the Wii U's weak performance is squarely at Nintendo's feet, but the UK's biggest retailers have barely been pushing the hardware at all. The shelf space mentioned in the article is for Nintendo products in general. Go into any supermarket and you will see the Wii U stuff jumbled in with everything else. This does much more harm in terms of consumer confusion, just as it did with the 3DS.

Not to mention that the software actually available in shops that aren't Game Group is poor as anything. The Sainsbury's I shop at regularly has a Wii U top ten that consists of Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Zombi U. There is literally nothing else on the shelf.

That space needs to be used in a much better manner. Is it true that Nintendo usually guide the retailer in this aspect, or do all companies simply leave the retailers to display however they want?

Yup. Visibility in all of my local supermarkets has been atrocious. Worse than the 3DS launch (the system is finally getting good shelfspace for hardware and software now) where there was at least some hardware out there, and a reasonable software selection, even if it was mixed in with all of the DS titles. Zombi U, Nintendoland and NSMBU mixed in with Wii games, and no hardware but the Wii U Pro controller on the racks. Awful.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
EDIT:

Mind you, all the data available to GAF suggests the demand is for the Premium, not the Basic, so cutting the price there and not seeing corresponding sales bumps isn't too surprising.

Nintendo never should have gone with two SKUs. It's obvious no one was interested in the Basic package. This was just a waste and honestly probably hurt them in the long run. I'd like to see Nintendo phase out the Basic model, cut the price on the Premium down to $300, and fucking announce the release dates of their goddamn games!!! I just don't get it. Everyone says the Wii U has no games, and Nintendo goes month after month without giving anyone a reason to think otherwise. There are no first-party Nintendo games with release dates in the US, right? That is unbelievable at this point, and just makes me fear that Nintendo really has no faith in its own ability to get games out on the console in a timely fashion. If Nintendo can't prove to us that it believes in the Wii U, why are consumers going to bite?

It doesn't have good games though. The launch lineup and the future lineup are probably the worst on the market and we haven't even seen the other consoles yet. When you add that to the flaws in hardware and services and the overarching mediocrity of the device from a 'next-gen' standpoint, it just isn't worth buying. Maybe in six months, maybe in a year. Right now though, I just don't see a price cut making any difference at all.

SmokyNostradavus.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is it true that Nintendo usually guide the retailer in this aspect, or do all companies simply leave the retailers to display however they want?

Marketing materials such as kiosks and stands often come from Nintendo. So them not splashing out and sending reps around is once again their fault. They fucked this launch on every single possible level they could.

Iwata himself confessed to the "finish game, delay to pad schedule" tactic with the 3DS after some intense financials QA session. Have no idea what he's going to meet a QA with this time though, theyre gonna be fucking furious!!

The Premium Bundle accounts for 70% - 80% of Wii U sales, that the basic bundle didn't increase in sales like the Premium Bundle should be clear and the article is only about ShopTo's Basic Bundle sales.

The Wii U ranks twice / three times as good on the german amazon than at the beginning of the year, but this doesn't give you clicks like these "The Sun - headlines".

German amazon rankings, the true test of a platforms health.

Really everyone is so reacting quickly, this become even childish. 4 months on the market only, people are over-reacting, and it's not like desert shedules are new, pretty much every system have it a couple month after initial release.

But the way Nintendo handles it makes it seem so much worse. At this point we should be drowning in a sea of previews and other coverage of forthcoming games, but Nintendo, in their eternal wisdom has decided that this is the time where they should lock everything down and go dark.

ok so pricedrop incoming and a possible nintendo direct about the release date of pikmin w101 and fit... i'm really curious about what will iwata say to the early adopters when he is all the time saying he learned the 3ds lessons and that there will never be an immediate price drop of the wiiu

darkwing

ok so pricedrop incoming and a possible nintendo direct about the release date of pikmin w101 and fit... i'm really curious abaut what will iwata say to the early adopters when he in all the time saying he learned the 3ds lessons and that there will never be an immediate price drop of the wiiu

free games!

I don't think you people realize how significant launching first is. The Wii U is capable of making a big comeback, contrary to all of the recent doom and gloom. In fact, I'd wager that if Mario Kart and 3D Mario are released this holiday season, Nintendo will annihilate the competition. E3 2013 will literally make or break Nintendo, but judging by how their past two conferences have been atrocious, I'm quite concerned.

Oersted

We are not talking about the Vita, aren´t we? And flaws in hardware and software, well who hasn´t? RROD and YLOD didn´t happen, because you didn´t treat those console so well.

There are no first-party Nintendo games with release dates in the US, right? That is unbelievable at this point, and just makes me fear that Nintendo really has no faith in its own ability to get games out on the console in a timely fashion. If Nintendo can't prove to us that it believes in the Wii U, why are consumers going to bite?

Yeah the whole "we are only going to tell you what is coming out in a month or two years" thing is annoying. What about what's coming out in 6 months? I might invest in a WiiU then...

teeny

Marketing materials such as kiosks and stands often come from Nintendo. So them not splashing out and sending reps around is once again their fault. They fucked this launch on every single possible level they could.

Well then, I take back what I said about retailers not using the space properly. Nintendo need to get their fingers out. Even with the terrible drought the console is going through, if a variety of product was supplied (an actual top 10, perhaps) and consumers could actually see the console in it's own section, that would do a world of good in my opinion.

kpjolee

As much as its price and the lack of killer games, it was marketed very poorly. I am still at awe when I see so many people not knowing that the system even exists.
Pretty sad considering how much I enjoy playing my Wii U.

Nintendo GameCube - Released May 3rd, 2002 in Europe
Total retail titles released until March 31st, 2003 (11 months in) in Europe: 150
Total Nintendo-published games released until March 31st, 2003 (11 months in) in Europe: 12

Nintendo Wii U - Released November 30th, 2012 in Europe
Total retail titles currently released ~4 months in: 45
Total retail titles projected by the end of this year (~13 months): ~90 (without any new game announcements)
Total Nintendo-published games projected by the end of this year (~13 months): ~9 (without any new game announcements)

Like I said...it's tracking behind the GameCube in Europe. :p

Get some fucking games released FFS! I'll buy one when games come, but reducing the price does nothing to entice people when they have fuck all to play on it!

Plus GAME stores have Wii U demo units showing stuff off, and the only playable game is Rayman. Why aren't there other playable demos on there?? Fucking useless.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
SmokyNostradavus.

He has just compared it to the future Vita lineup, so no matter what Nintendo does, it's poor ;). But still,we already know there are Zelda, Mario, Yoshi, SMT X Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Mario Kart coming. That's not a weak known lineup. It of course doesn't help now.

I don't think you people realize how significant launching first is. The Wii U is capable of making a big comeback, contrary to all of the recent doom and gloom. In fact, I'd wager that if Mario Kart and 3D Mario are released this holiday season, Nintendo will annihilate the competition. E3 2013 will literally make or break Nintendo, but judging by how their past two conferences have been atrocious, I'm quite concerned.

Annihilate the competition with 2 games when one of their biggest sellers (NSMBU) failed and the other consoles have full 3rd party support? That's Nintendos whole fucking problem, thinking 1-2 games is enough.

why not just release whole back catalog ;P
This also bothers me. WHY IS NINTENDO HOLDING BACK? They could just dump their entire back catalog onto the eShop immediately and rake in the dough. I know people who would buy a Wii U just to play Earthbound at an affordable price. Totally anecdotal, but I'm sure others feel the same way.

Maybe ultimately.. The market doesn't want a Nintendo system?

Wii came along at the right time and got many non-gamers and casuals on board. All good! Also, amazing marketing. Amazing. They've now moved onto Smart Phones and Tablets and have no need to buy a Nintendo with HD graphics. They're done with Wii, they're satisfied with it 5 years ago or whatever.

An iPad (or any tablet) does more and offers more than a Wii with a confusing tablet style controller. Don't come back with proper game experience arguments, people buy iPads for playing games and they fucking love it.

Wii U is a confusing name
It's expensive for what it is
They see their current Wii covered in dust
No compelling software
No "WOW that's new!" factor

Xbox (and PS) has the core market covered and everyone knows that PS4/Xbox "3" is coming out soon. Even stores like GAME have PS4 banners in-store with a "2013" date.

There is literally no reason to buy one, even for a gamer (I bought one).

You could see this coming a million miles away. This was never going to be the Wii again. Everything about it, even the market confusion about what the Wii U even was was nothing short of a disaster.

yeah, this whole wiiU situation could be seen a mile away.

Effect

be like the 3DS and cut the price

That alone won't do anything. Games need to be released and not late ports but new and deemed important games from Nintendo itself. Lego City is a start but they've seriously screw up it's release and any help it could have provided I think has been wasted. In the end these are self-inflicted wounds Nintendo has. This current situation did not have to happen.

Taker666

Price cuts do nothing without games, games do nothing without marketing (on Nintendo platforms anyway).

I've not seen 1 Wii U demo pod in my region, the most software I've seen in a supermarket is around 6 Wii U games (mixed in with Wii software)..and no hardware on display anywhere in store (to demo or to buy).

I've caught maybe 2 Wii U tv ads in the whole of 2013.

Monster Hunter releases tomorrow...I've not seen 1 tv ad for either version (while the original Wii game had loads of advertising).

Lego and Luigi launch next week...I've seen nothing for them either (yes their launch is a week away ....but if you want parents to buy your products as Easter gifts..then you better market before Easter).

A few ads on Eurogamer is it ...and I'm not convinced online ads do anything for Nintendo ..especially on core gamer sites.

No marketing for the hardware, no marketing for software, little instore presence = no point in cutting the price.

Get some fucking games released FFS! I'll buy one when games come, but reducing the price does nothing to entice people when they have fuck all to play on it!

At £200 or so for the Premium, I'd bite. There are at least 5 retail titles - no ports - I'm after, and a handful of eShop games. That's enough to get me in at a lower price, and I'll go from there. The Basic is totally unappealing at nearly £200.

Basic to £150 or discontinued, Premium to £200 and get the games coming steadily to Christmas.

Annihilate the competition with 2 games when one of their biggest sellers (NSMBU) failed and the other consoles have full 3rd party support?
NSMBU looks nearly identical to NSMBWii at a glance. The game was clearly built using Wii assets so they'd have something to release at launch. A 3D Mario game is much more enticing as a system seller. Stop using this shitty example.

Dunlop

Nintendo has botched this launch in every territory and their continued inability to date games that were supposed to be out by now amazes me.

I forgot about the whole "launch window" phrasing they used..and it is almost april now

how big was that window?

Top Bottom