• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

If they want a pricecut to work the cut is going to have to massive and then Nintendo will lose an insane amount of money. Theyve screwed themselves

it would be stupid to drop the price now, when there is still no games. The only option they have is the conjonction of price drop AND big games for the holidays. They just need to build momentum and maintain it. Not to mention all the technical issues they need to fix until this (hard locks, slow loading) and the wait for the arrival of VC.
But it implies they tighten their assholes for a few months...
They just rushed it to be ready for last holidays.

The question is, will Iwata cut his pay in half again? He will end up less paid than the toilet lay at this trend...

statham

I don't feel price is the matter, its software and if their 1st isn't ready, they need to spend some bucks to get a 3rd party game exclusive for awhile. Rayman game is doing it wrong.

Will Pikmin do that much? The last game was just under a decade ago...

It'll triple WiiU sales.

1000 to 3000 in a month

Not a lot that can be done right now. Just a poorly thought out and carried out launch that Nintendo thought was more than enough due to the Wii. You can't just release games that aren't ready and marketing or price drops are only going to go so far and cause a temporary bump.

UrbanRats

As someone who doesn't have a WiiU yet, i still wouldn't buy it for 100€.
The reason is simply that there are not enough exclusive games i like and not one i consider a killer application yet.
It would sit next to my 360 unused, and i don't want another one like that.

NSMBU looks nearly identical to NSMBWii at a glance. The game was clearly built using Wii assets so they'd have something to release at launch. A 3D Mario game is much more enticing as a system seller. Stop using this shitty example.

One of the recurring themes pre launch was that "the sequel to 20million+ selling NSMB" was going to dominate.

NSMBU looks nearly identical to NSMBWii at a glance. The game was clearly built using Wii assets so they'd have something to release at launch. A 3D Mario game is much more enticing as a system seller. Stop using this shitty example.

Maybe, but annihilate the competition implies a wii sports like phenomenon. At best Nintendo can hope for a decent turnaround

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah the whole "we are only going to tell you what is coming out in a month or two years" thing is annoying. What about what's coming out in 6 months? I might invest in a WiiU then...

I really do not understand what they are waiting on. It makes me think at this point that they don't want Luigi's Mansion 2 or Animal Crossing 3DS situations happening again. Again, that points to a lack of confidence in their ability to get out games. That sucks. If there was an announced lineup at least for some of this year with confirmed release dates, it'd be a little easier to recommend this console to your friends. Right now there's no way for the console to garner momentum through word of mouth. While I love what the GamePad setup has been able to offer me, I can't rightfully say that people should pick up a Wii U right now, as there are barely any titles out to justify that. If Nintendo showed even a handful of games coming out within the next 6 months, all with release dates, I can assure you that people would be a lot more keen on picking up the damn thing with Lego City right now.

I could go on about this forever, but why did Nintendo get this idea that future software lineups do not sell hardware? I don't think that is the case at all. A healthy release schedule makes it so much easier for someone who is on the fence to take the plunge.

Thread title confused me a bit but I get what it's trying to say.

Anyway, I gave Vita one full + big titles + holiday before going completely bearish on it. I will give the WiiU similar leeway. If MK,3D Mario, new Zelda, Pokemon don't get it out of its funk, then.....

I do think Nintendo needs to be completely aggressive in the next 6 months because I think Sony and MS are dropping the price of the PS3/360 and bringing the marketing thunder with the PS4/Durango.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't think you people realize how significant launching first is. The Wii U is capable of making a big comeback, contrary to all of the recent doom and gloom. In fact, I'd wager that if Mario Kart and 3D Mario are released this holiday season, Nintendo will annihilate the competition. E3 2013 will literally make or break Nintendo, but judging by how their past two conferences have been atrocious, I'm quite concerned.

The sales are at such a low level of market penetration alongside poisoning the existing userbase with price-drops, release calendar droughts, more and more third party games whizzing by to the old HD twins and not U, that this is a console that seemingly shouldnt have even launched early at all.

This isnt a situation like the 360 that gets to dictate what HD and Online gaming is all about with titles like Oblivion and Gears while the PS3 drags itself to market. This is a situation where the WiiU is failing against the 360 and PS3 and will be swept entirely away when the PS4 and Durango blast off.

Nintendo have squandered an entire year headstart on the market, even after completely abandoning the Wii for 2 years. Its unprecedented levels of failure.

Nintendude712

Neo Member
Nintendo never should have gone with two SKUs. It's obvious no one was interested in the Basic package. This was just a waste and honestly probably hurt them in the long run. I'd like to see Nintendo phase out the Basic model, cut the price on the Premium down to $300, and fucking announce the release dates of their goddamn games!!! I just don't get it. Everyone says the Wii U has no games, and Nintendo goes month after month without giving anyone a reason to think otherwise. There are no first-party Nintendo games with release dates in the US, right? That is unbelievable at this point, and just makes me fear that Nintendo really has no faith in its own ability to get games out on the console in a timely fashion. If Nintendo can't prove to us that it believes in the Wii U, why are consumers going to bite?

This. I wanted to get a white model but the Deluxe deal was too good to pass up. Nobody wants the basic model. I see them sitting on the shelf everyday at work, and we've had no Deluxes in stock for weeks. They need to kill the basic model asap and only make the Deluxe in both white and black.

They also shouldnt drop the price just yet. They should wait until MS and Sony reveal their prices first, then they should drop it. Call it afraid or whatever you want, but that's just being smart.

Once the Wii U has the 2 performance updates, along Pikmin, Wii Fit, etc, then it'll look a lot more attractive. They need to change their marketing as well because the current Wii U ads just suck. They should bring back the Yoshida brothers!

One of the recurring themes pre launch was that "the sequel to 20million+ selling NSMB" was going to dominate.

Its amazing how the nsmb series has been thrown under the bus

A price cut without software is pointless. I dont know how many times this has to be said!!

Wrong. Nintendo cut the 3ds price in august so retailers would order more for the holiday

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would say the question is were those titles delayed because of development problems, or to try and fit at the midpoint between their launch titles and their next major titles (which are presumably Q4 2013).

Yeah that is probably a lot of it, but I still maintain that ideally Nintendo wanted a big April game for Japan.

gcubed

There is absolutely not reason for Nintendo to rush into a price drop right now. It wouldn't do any good without games, they need to calm fears and then time a price drop along with actual games releasing

Red UFO

I don't feel price is the matter, its software and if their 1st isn't ready, they need to spend some bucks to get a 3rd party game exclusive for awhile. Rayman game is doing it wrong.

Of course price is the matter. They tried to charge £300 for a console which had plenty of games people could get on a console they already owned. And I have a hard time believing they were going after people who's Wii was their only game console, not with that launch lineup.

“We’ll be speaking to our retailers directly over the next few weeks to take them through our plans for building Wii U momentum over the course of 2013,” said a Nintendo spokesperson. “We have a strong and broad line-up of software launching this year and we look forward to updating – and exciting – our partners over the coming weeks.”

About time Nintendo. Show us dem strategies... gonna need to be good to help things in the UK!

Generally, this could be good news.

- Good news for people who haven't bought one yet,
- Potentially good news for people who have (new game announcements, maybe an ambassador programme?),
- Good news because we're probably likely to hear things shortly after retailers do, new Nintendo Directs etc.

Somnid

Pricedrops don't work when interest is low, games do because they build interest. You'd think people would have figured this out by now.

Thread title confused me a bit but I get what it's trying to say.

Anyway, I gave Vita one full + big titles + holiday before going completely bearish on it. I will give the WiiU similar leeway. If MK,3D Mario, new Zelda, Pokemon don't get it out of its funk, then.....

I do think Nintendo needs to be completely aggressive in the next 6 months because I think Sony and MS are dropping the price of the PS3/360 and bringing the marketing thunder with the PS4/Durango.

The Wii U needs a slew of new title announcements to "get it out of this funk." At the helm of these new announcements should be a bombastic lineup of Mario Kart U + 3D Mario + Wii Sports U + Retro Studio's game + other big hitters announced at E3 and featured for the holiday season.

If Nintendo continues its wishy-washy, lukewarm support of the console past E3, it's essentially a done deal at this point. Nintendo is the only one who can change the Wii U's fortunes.

NeonZ

I always said that it wouldn't work. Besides, just look at Animal Crossing Wii. Nintendo had already burned itself by releasing a game that didn't attempt to differentiate itself from the previous ones at all while attempting to use it as a system seller, and that was during the years of their best selling home console. NSMBU is in the same situation.

Really, at a point like this, Nintendo should really try to make a 3d Pokemon game for consoles. Make a Red & Blue remake to not step on the toes of the new one.

Keyouta

Are they waiting for the fiscal year to end before making a statement on the lack of sales?

Where's my release dates, Nintendo?

deviljho

this thread is hilarious

oh-noes-everybody-panzxo5m.gif

See you all January 2015 for the NPD and 3rd quarter financial report.

Piers

Dat retailer unrest.

What on Earth could any meeting with a retailer assuage fears with? "Pikmin 3 is coming and maybe that will be big?" They rush the shit out of the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart to launch in like... July?

Seems like theyre fucked and have nothing to change that with next gen consoles right on our doorsteps looking for storespace and 360+PS3 still selling.

I don't think Nintendo's push on marketing could really of changed the fact that the consumers don't 'get' WiiU. To them it's this tablet with buttons that needs a box to work, and looks appalling left amongst other tablet devices. The whole concept of the console screwed them over from the starting line. (And that's not even mentioning the lacklustre specifications)

Biggzy

Nintendo has botched this launch in every territory and their continued inability to date games that were supposed to be out by now amazes me.

Nintendo were in a position where they could have put serious pressure on Sony and Microsoft when their consoles come around later this year. The situation now is that 3rd party publishers seem to have limited confidence in the system, Nintendo themselves haven't put out a title that has resonated with the wider demographic, and when Durango and the PS4 come out I won't be too surprised if they are not that much more expensive than the premium WiiU. Nintendo have a real uphill struggle to make the WiiU a success.

majik13

were these price cuts evver officially announced or marketed? I remember hearing that 1 shop was doing it maybe, but wasn't aware it was a whole European thing

Bumhead

Banned
It's a bad product with an incredibly poor value proposition.

The UK market has decided it doesn't want to pay what Nintendo want to charge for it. All power to it. It's up to Nintendo to vastly increase the value of this thing and its up to Nintendo to sort this out.

Kyari

Yes, but they were specifically talking about demand for the Basic. The Premium dropped briefly to £250 in a few places, but is back to nearer £300 now. It's the one that should be down to £199, with a corresponding lower retail price.

Ahh, thats my bad or not reading very well! Sorry.

Short of dropping the price under £100 there isn't much Nintendo can do.
Invest in western development and moneyhat third party exclusives. They did back in the NES era, so maybe they should take a page from their own playbook and start being aggressive. These reoccurring software droughts wouldn't happen if the third parties were actually on board. Nintendo can't support an entire console by themselves. At least they had Rare during the N64 era. If somebody told me in 1992 that a Nintendo system would receive essentially zero third party support, I'd scoff in disbelief and walk away.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
this thread is hilarious

oh-noes-everybody-panzxo5m.gif

See you all January 2015 for the NPD and 3rd quarter financial report.

Is that when Nintendo launches their quickly developed successor console?

PhantomR

Banned
The feel of a Smoky post in a Nintendo thread ;)

Edit:

Oh, and Pie and Beans is also already here.

Yeah. Every time I go into a Nintendo thread my ignore list always acts up with the usual suspects. It's doing its job here too :D

Nintendo historically hasn't done that well in the UK, so I'm not that alarmed. Mainland Europe sales (especially in Germany, France, and Spain) remain strong, so that's good. I am curious to learn about this strategy that Nintendo UK is going to unveil to retailers. It could have implications for this market too if this is coming from NCL.

Are they waiting for the fiscal year to end before making a statement on the lack of sales?

I suspect so yes. "Coming weeks" would suggest so too.

Fiscal Year End Earnings Release is scheduled for April 24, they usually have a briefing to investors afterwards. Won't surprise me if we have a few announcements before then so they can bat away some criticism with reassurances that they are taking action.

Robin64

I'll be honest, I'm not sure Nintendo could actually lose shelf space in half the stores I go in. They're already on the bare minimum.

liger05

were these price cuts evver officially announced or marketed? I remember hearing that 1 shop was doing it maybe, but wasn't aware it was a whole European thing

With sites like hot deals this price cuts are all over the net like wildfire. It's just nobody really cared.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
A price cut without software is pointless. I dont know how many times this has to be said!!

But a price cut alongside the release of Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 would most definitely not be! In fact, it'd be the way the console should have launched in the first place, and alongside better marketing would do a lot to jumpstart sales. I'm not sure what the hell Nintendo has planned (and we likely won't find out until after this fiscal year ends), but it had better be fucking amazing otherwise they are in for a rough 2013 too.

deviljho

Im confused. First you kept posting wait til 2014. Now its wait til 2015?

If you go back to that post, I wrote holiday 2014... so January 2015 financial report is for end of holiday 2014. Don't be confused.. All these threads are too funny. there is ~30 days between the end of 2014 holiday and the next financial report

edit: let me quote it for your convenience

PS4/720 coming is not necessarily a bad thing for Wii U. You'll see by holiday 2014.

Top Bottom