• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

what part of "wait until the holiday 2014 results" don't you understand man. slimer, i like you, but i'm not playing these market analysis games on the day to day basis every time a piece of data or news comes out right now. you can all talk about what you'd like, but all i'm saying is people will see. you can't quote me and expect to draw me into a discussion of current launch performance.

Well sorry but im sure as hell not going to wait 2 freaking years to judge a platform. And no offense but if you dont think anything matters until 2 years from now dont post in these threads.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Stop this Vita VS Wii U nonsense, both sides act fucking pathetic

Two cool platforms are selling bad and most of you have nothing better in mind than trying to provoke each other until names fade into gray; it's annoying
Wow, you sound like a fence sitter to me. Pick a side, Nibel. This console war isn't going to fight itself.

Dabanton

Games
Games
Games

I want new games that are not ports of old games with a few new bits attached. And are worth my money and time.

This E3 is probably one of the most important in Nintendo's history. They fluff it and they'll be pretty much done as a console manufacturer.

Prine

Banned
This general feeling of apathy towards the system, its been there since its reveal. In the industry as a whole, i think things will improve but Wii will be struggling for sometime, perhaps even though its entire lieftime. Its not just UK, seems to be most of the west, theres simply zero spark for it.

liger05

When PS4/720 drop where exactly is all this shit going to go instores. PS3/360 are still going to take up plenty of space. Something is going to have to give.

This E3 is probably one of the most important in Nintendo's history. They fluff it and they'll be pretty much done as a console manufacturer.

Even if the Wii U is a major flop they can survive it and come again.

Majmun

I don't get all this commotion. This is just Nintendo without the help of motion control craze. They're back to their normal numbers.

Both the N64 and Cube underperformed in the Uk.

The Wii craze is long over. I think the issue here is that people expected Nintendo to remain popular.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Two cool platforms are selling bad and most of you have nothing better in mind than trying to provoke each other until names fade into gray; it's annoying

Honestly Vita Bros seem far less bothered by the ongoing death of that system. There seems to a lot more... personal investment... in the great Nintendo home console business' bow running rugged against the shore.

It all seems very shakespearean with Sony's handheld progeny and Nintendo's home console's progeny dragging each other into the abyss to never return. Their surviving respective sibling will mourn their loss, but become stronger through it.

Pie and Beans, that stuff about personal investment being greater on one side is bollocks and you know it. There's a reason Wii U threads are full of Vita fanboys and vice versa. Nibel is right, its so played out now that its just white noise.

Well sorry but im sure as hell not going to wait 2 freaking years to judge a platform. And no offense but if you dont think anything matters until 2 years from now dont post in these threads.

You should probably wait more than 4 months though. Not seeing the rationale in telling him not to post in the thread?

Kouriozan

This is what happen if you release a console and forgot to release game after le initial launch line-up.
Not surprising, hopefully Nintendo will wake up soon before it's too late, or it'll match the sales of Vita for a whole year.

When PS4/720 drop where exactly is all this shit going to go instores. PS3/360 are still going to take up plenty of space. Something is going to have to give.

Whatever Vita space is being used will probably be jettisoned.
You should probably wait more than 4 months though. Not seeing the rationale in telling him not to post in the thread?

Well he thinks the sales results now are useless so why bother. It was a suggestion if he thinks this is pointless to discuss

prwxv3

Honestly Vita Bros seem far less bothered by the ongoing death of that system. There seems to a lot more... personal investment... in the great Nintendo home console business' bow running rugged against the shore.

It all seems very shakespearean with Sony's handheld progeny and Nintendo's home console's progeny dragging each other into the abyss to never return. Their surviving sibling will mourn their loss, but become stronger through it.

lets not start this shit

deviljho

And no offense but if you dont think anything matters until 2 years from now dont post in these threads.

frankly, i will post wherever and however the forum rules allow. you have no right. i'm trying to be nice, but really?

don't fucking quote me or engage me if you can't jive with what i'm saying. you one asked you to address me.

SmokyDave

Both sides? It's just people taking swipes at the Vita, that ain't 'both sides'. You're right though, it's as irrelevant as it is desperate.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Games
Games
Games

I want new games that are not ports of old games with a few new bits attached. And are worth my money and time.

I feel like they've already pretty much announced what they're going to show at E3, though.

Smash Bros
3D Mario
Zelda (maybe both titles)
X

And some other stuff I'm forgetting. But at the Direct in January there was a lot of 'we will show this game at E3' stuff.

This general feeling of apathy towards the system, its been there since its reveal. In mthe industry as a whole, i think things will improve but Wii will be struggling for sometime, perhaps even though its entire lieftime. Its not just UK, seems to be most of the west, theres simply zero spark for it.

It's unbelievable how Nintendo didn't see it. I wonder how much denial they were in during the lead up to the Wii U launch.

Biggzy

This is what I have posted as well, and this is why Nintendo need to start taking drastic actions.

Shahed

On a personal anectodal note, Nintendo has big problems.

First of all marketing. Sounds silly, but even if it might not even lead to sales, they need to at least make people aware off the product and get some chatter going. For crying out load pretty much all the people I know who are remotely interested in gaming know about the PS4, but not the Wii U despite it being out for months. I mean when I visited my cousin's in London, I only saw a couple adds. But on the way back in Sheffield, Manchester and home in Newcastle? Zilch.

And then there's the audience itself. Between my friends and family not one person is interesed in Wii U. I am the sole exception. The so called hardcore group feel burned by the Wii, and have distanced themselves from it. My brother told me I was silly for wanting to get one. The 'casual' group have long since packed their Wii's away. When talking to them about it, they say it was fun for a little while then they got bored of it.

And then software. There simply isn't enough quality exclusive games on it. Of the people I know, only I am wanting to get a Wii U, but for someone who doesn't like Mario, why should I get it now? When Zelda and X come out, it'll be a different story, but for now there's not enough worthwhile games

frankly, i will post wherever and however the forum rules allow. i'm trying to be nice, but really?

don't fucking quote me or engage me if you can't jive with what i'm saying. you one asked you to address me.

Well sorry but i just want to know why you post in these threads if they are completely worthless. I didnt mean to come off as aggressive. You basically just came in and cirticized people in here for some fantasy scenario 2 years from now.

oh right.. no one on this board makes predictions of any kind but me. so the "wii u clusterfuck clique" and "iwata is out of touch" folks can have their fun for now. the launch sucks. that's about it.

I don't know. I don't discount that some can get carried away with rejoicing at any and all bad Nintendo sales data or analysis. However, it does strike me as somewhat odd to counter analysis about where the system actually is as evidenced by current hard data with assumptions about where you think it will be in a year or two.

majik13

With sites like hot deals this price cuts are all over the net like wildfire. It's just nobody really cared.

well deals websites are not the same things as actually advertising a price drop. I mean it was unofficial I suppose. But if they are not actively telling anyone then...

deviljho

Well sorry but i just want to know why you post in these threads if they are completely worthless. I didnt mean to come off as aggressive

i never said they were worthless. my post was "this thread hilarious. panic.gif. people will see how they were wrong later down the road"

i can't express the opinion that people will be proven wrong later or are otherwise overreacting?

I don't know. I don't discount that some can get carried away with rejoicing at any and all bad Nintendo sales data or analysis. However, it does strike me as somewhat odd to counter analysis about where the system actually is as evidenced by current hard data with assumptions about where you think it will be in a year or two.

throughout human history, large groups of people (groups of experts, too) have fallen into the easy mistake of misjudging a situation only to be proven wrong later. my opinion doesn't need a rigorous defense because it's a gut-level qualitative guess.

Didn't the WiiU also have the worst month ever or something in the US recently?

57k for January 2013 (5-week reporting period), 66k for February (4-week reporting period)....which is bad.

Although it's a bit irrelevant to mention "worst month ever" because there isn't any historical sales data to compare it to...the console has only been tracked for not even 4 months.

They never should have kept Wii in the name. Instead of inreasing product recognition all theyve done is confuse people as to whether its an expansion or a whole new console.

Besides all the Elderly, middle aged parents, kids etc (Casual gamers if you want to call them that) Arent taken in by this new wii. The original was something new and took the general population by storm.

Nintendo assumed this would happen again by itself instead of understanding the Wii was a freak one off deal with popularity.

No new software since January? Jesus christ.

Nintendo done fucked up, consoles not even out a year and its a stinker.

Just wait until people see the prices for PS4 if they think the Wii U is bad right now.
Of course the PS4 will cost more. The difference is, it's a genuine step up from the consoles already on the market, the Wii U isn't. Plus the PS4 has more hype than the Wii U ever did.

This is what I have posted as well, and this is why Nintendo need to start taking drastic actions.

I guess this is a concern since retailers only really needed to keep the PS2 around when this gens three new machines were out as well as the 2 handhelds.

Keeping 5 systems and more than likely 3 handhelds (since the DS is still selling more software than 3ds and Vita), theres not alot of space for that.

Mojojo

Nintendo just have to do 2 things to revive the Wii U :

1) : a september 're-launch' : a pricedrop of the WiiU premium only sku with uptaded OS & Nintendoland included. A 1st party title at least each month until january.

2) send their ninjas to sabotage the PS4 and X720 assembly lines.

I know Nintendo doesn't want another GC but I would be perfectly happy if the WiiU turned out to be another GC. A bunch of exclusive Nintendo games that are great. It's all I'm really looking for from them and have been happy with my Wii U so far and by the end of this gen I'm sure I'll also still be happy and look back fondly on the great games I've played.

Well, every Nintendo console has a bunch of Nintendo first party games. Do you think they were great on the Wii?

And the situation is only going to get more tight when Durango and PS4 get released.

One of the retailers will be fine, because they dedicate a lot of space for both PS3 and Xbox 360 (each platform has a section for bargains, hardware, 2 lots for chart space in the larger stores and lately they now have space for membership purchases, Xbox Live Gold etc.) and i think they'll just scale it back.

More shelf space for the Wii. Fuck that!!

It's because people are still buying £5 titles and they think that justifies keeping so much space for the platform. People are rarely buying chart titles, so we could really bin a lot of the Wii section to make space for Wii U, but Nintendo don't want that.

A classic negative feedback loop. Sales don't do well = retailers stop supporting Nintendo as much = Sales continue to decline because of retailer actions = retailers drop support even more.

Nintendo are being very stubborn too, they want to have their cake and eat it but the retailers want to offer the newest thing.

We had a similar problem with the PS2 when the PS3 came out, although Sony were justified more in their stance IMO because people were still buying PS2 games.

They never should have kept Wii in the name. Instead of inreasing product recognition all theyve done is confuse people as to whether its an expansion or a whole new console.

Well, they could have gone with "Super Wii", and I'm sure the message that it's a new console would have been understood, at least a little more. Not that it could really be understood any less.

Anth0ny

I feel like they've already pretty much announced what they're going to show at E3, though.

Smash Bros
3D Mario
Zelda (maybe both titles)
X

And some other stuff I'm forgetting. But at the Direct in January there was a lot of 'we will show this game at E3' stuff.

They have to show Retro's new game this year.

But yeah, besides that, I don't think we'll be getting any more surprises.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At least, they're trying to reassure them. I mean, they're doing something...small, but at least it's something compared to the nothing done recently...

Would packing up and giving up on the UK be a good decision? Just seems like a lost cause to me.

As a UK resident I'm inclined to think any sales are good sales, and I don't want to import everything. I mean, accept absolute defeat so soon? It's a good thing you don't run a company.

Dabanton

Even if the Wii U is a major flop they can survive it and come again.

They'll always have the handhelds. As Sony will never beat them there. But trying to get the third parties on board again if the Wii U slowly dies only uplifted every few months with a Nintendo release.

Not going to be easy, the same problems would just repeat themselves.

They have to show Retro's new game this year.

But yeah, besides that, I don't think we'll be getting any more surprises.

I won't mind any more surprises if they just give us some actual dates for once and not constantly push their releases back. It's gotten really old.

Besides all the Elderly, middle aged parents, kids etc (Casual gamers if you want to call them that) Arent taken in by this new wii. The original was something new and took the general population by storm.

Nintendo assumed this would happen again by itself instead of understanding the Wii was a freak one off deal with popularity.

No new software since January? Jesus christ.

Nintendo done fucked up, consoles not even out a year and its a stinker.

Part of my job is to visit stores and i have been in several that have had people asking to buy just the Wii U GamePad because they think it's just that part that upgrades the Wii into a Wii U. Not on a large scale, but just enough to make me think that Nintendo should have abandoned the Wii name with this console.

Top Bottom