• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

Sandfox

There's system UI stuff that is done ONLY through the gamepad. Personally not a choice I would have made, but they are really locked to the gamepad now.

I think it would be dumb to stop bindling the controller but if they really did couldn't they just fix that with an update?

I've said the same thing, except make it mandatory to support off screen play. Everyone laughed.

Ive thought the same thing for a while. Nintendo could have made an even more accurate motion control system called Wii 2 with the Wiiu gamepad accessory in a bundle. Make the system more powerful to handle low end PS4 games and sell it for 250 at the same loss. The gamepad is just not a revolution like the wiimote was and you cant base your system on it. People will buy the new Nintendo system for the Nintendos games. Games are what matter

I've said the same thing, except make it mandatory to support off screen play. Everyone laughed.

I've said something similar in a few other threads and was told that the hook to the system is the gamepad interaction. If it is only for remote play, then it is pointless. I think that allowing remote play for all titles gives people the choice to use the nice feature. I admit that there are opportunities for unique gameplay experiences provided by the game pad, but a person should be able to choose to use to experience them. Remote play being a universal feature would only be a positive. It won't take away from the system at all.

kinggroin

Banned
Not bundling the gamepad now is stupid. It won't magically make the specs increase or allow more games to land on the system.

They've made their bed. Best to run with it and focus on pumping out as many quality titles as possible. It'll eventually have a respectable library and could make for a great secondary or thirdadary system for gamers.

Yep, I don't think it's a ridiculous idea. It's what the system is designed around, but if it's simply not an enticing product and significantly adding to the cost, then why not make it optional? If a game is playable with the Pro Controller, or if a game is playable with offscreen+ no touch, then those games will work fine. I'm sure people remember that Pikmin 3 was originally demoed as a game played with the remote+nunchuck. Aside from some adjustments to the UI, it would mean slapping a 'Gamepad required' sticker on a bunch of games, but that's not so bad.

The only problem is, I'm not sure how expensive that thing really is, it might cost a bit at the moment but it should be something they can get the cost down to the price of a cheap Chinese tablet before too long.

Edit: I now see you were saying this only in hindsight and believe the opposite :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Have you played Nintendo Land? There is a lot of gameplay potential with GamePad. Multiplayer with GamePad is arguably better than Off-TV play. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.
Agreed. For games that don't make good use of the gamepad, Off-TV should be mandatory. Otherwise, there's lots of awesome ways to use the gamepad for gameplay.

Not bundling the gamepad now is stupid. It won't magically make the specs increase or allow more games to land on the system.

They've made their bed. Best to run with it and focus on pumping out as many quality titles as possible. It'll eventually have a respectable library and could make for a great secondary or thirdadary system for gamers.

I dont doubt that the wiiu was a transition console to a more hybrid device in the first place so we could see a 3rd pillar in 2015 or so. I know everyone hates motion controls but i still dont think that tech has reached the limit yet and the fact that they just threw in a wiimote was a huge disappontment

Sendou

Agreed. For games that don't make good use of the gamepad, Off-TV should be mandatory. Otherwise, there's lots of awesome ways to use the gamepad for gameplay.

The thing is that we have seen only one game that has been developed with GamePad primarily in mind. I hope when games utilizing GamePad will come people will see the value in the GamePad.

Saying stuff like "get rid of the GamePad" really makes no sense. I doubt we will see many Nintendo games that you can play without GamePad on Wii U.

Javier

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is doing it right. They're adding Gamepad features like an integrated map and stuff, but also letting you play Off-TV, if you don't mind missing on some of the Gamepad features.

Audioboxer

It really should of been called Wii 2 if Nintendo wanted to ride the "Wii brand popularity". Wii U is stupid, cater to your lowest common denominator in intelligence, and slapping a number on is the easiest way. A letter doesn't really come across as a new entry, more like a revision or add on.

Other option was to abandon Wii name and make Nintendo "....". Like MS will do, obviously we will not have the Xbox 360 2. It'll be Xbox "trendycatchynamehere".

This of course is simply marketing talk, other issues exist with the console.

Audίoboxer;51139335 said:
It really should of been called Wii 2 if Nintendo wanted to ride the "Wii brand popularity". Wii U is stupid, cater to your lowest common denominator in intelligence, and slapping a number on is the easiest way. A letter doesn't really come across as a new entry, more like a revision or add on.

Other option was to abandon Wii name and make Nintendo "....". Like MS will do, obviously we will not have the Xbox 360 2. It'll be Xbox "trendycatchynamehere".

This of course is simply marketing talk, other issues exist with the console.

Super Wii. it's like a Wii but super.

Audioboxer

Super Wii. it's like a Wii but super.

Even that would've been better. Wii U is beyond silly. Wii proved silly, but catchy works wonders when done right. Adding a U to the end is not the right way to go in trying to make consumers think this is a new piece of hardware, worth a much higher price point, and somehow 'vastly' different.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some consumers simply asking is this a Wii with a tablet addon?

Rocky

Banned

Why are people so gungho about off screen play? I think its pointless to push the system on that feature.

Why would someone spend $350 for off screen play, when for half the price they can get a 3DS XL that they can play off the TV and take it out of the house. Not to mention a much better selection of games.

Did you all not have portables? Is that why the Wii U fans seem to love the feature so much? I just don't get all the excitement over it. Its not appealing to me at all, if I play a console game its because I want to play on a big screen, if I don't want to play on a TV, I grab my 3DS XL, Vita or PSP.

liger05

Why are people so gungho about off screen play? I think its pointless to push the system on that feature.

Why would someone spend $350 for off screen play, when for half the price they can get a 3DS XL that they can play off the TV and take it out of the house. Not to mention a much better selection of games.

Did you all not have portables? Is that why the Wii U fans seem to love the feature so much? I just don't get all the excitement over it. Its not appealing to me at all, if I play a console game its because I want to play on a big screen, if I don't want to play on a TV, I grab my 3DS XL, Vita or PSP.

I have Wii U and off tv play really doesnt matter to me. I have a 3DS for portable gaming. selling off tv play just makes it harder trying to tell people what the wii u is.

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is doing it right. They're adding Gamepad features like an integrated map and stuff, but also letting you play Off-TV, if you don't mind missing on some of the Gamepad features.

It's an extremely tough sell, the game can be bought for less than £10 on 360/PS3, people won't care about off tv play, etc.

It's a hokey effort at best. if they really wanted to show some interest in the platform, they should be porting their next game to the console or releasing Tomb Raider on the console, but even that opportunity has passed them by with the game now available for £30 and soon to drop even lower.

Drago

Off TV play does nothing for me, but that's more because I barely have a signal outside my room. It's definitely not a make or break feature for me though , even if I did have better signals.

sangreal

I'm as baffled by this as you. It seems to be the feature people care about more than anything. Even Miyamoto is saying now that this is whole point of the console:
With Wii U, our primary goal was to create a game console that functioned regardless of whether the TV was on.

I thought it was asynchronous gameplay? or at least two-screen gameplay

I think that's a bit extreme.

They can't dump the controller. It's too integral to the design of the system. I bought a cheap used Wii U yesterday and once you use it, it's obvious. It might be a mistake, but it's not something that can be dropped.

Of course it can be dropped. You redesign the OS to work properly with a controller and you force all games from here on to work with a Wiimote/Pro Controller only layout. It's not impossible.

Chaplain

Nintendo should have all ports on Wii U be priced $30 or lower. This way they could show the uniqueness/benefits the Gamepad offers over current Gen systems, and offer AAA games at a reasonable price.

Dead Man

So, rather than Nintendo going third party, what are the odds of them going first party only. Just biting the bullet and making a Nintendo Box that plays Nintendo games and that's it? Not closing the system, but admitting that people only buy the Nintendo IP's?

Phazon

If they drop the GamePad, the whole purpose and charm (besides having more powerful hardwarde) of the console is lost...

Sendou

So, rather than Nintendo going third party, what are the odds of them going first party only. Just biting the bullet and making a Nintendo Box that plays Nintendo games and that's it? Not closing the system, but admitting that people only buy the Nintendo IP's?

What would be the benefit of doing so? People act like there hasn't been 3rd party success stories on Nintendo machines which is just false.

Dead Man

What would be the benefit of doing so? People act like there hasn't been 3rd party success stories on Nintendo machines which is just false.

It would set retail expectations at a reasonable level.

Edit: And of course there have, but most people seem to be happy with Nintendo for Nintendo IP's, and have another console for third party stuff.

If they drop the GamePad, the whole purpose and charm (besides having more powerful hardwarde) of the console is lost...

Is the purpose and charm of the gamepad to ensure the console sells like shit?

I agree though, they can't get rid of it at this point. If they were to go that far it would be better to just kill the entire system outright and design a new one.

cavalcade

Neo Member
Well, the tablet makes a big difference to me. It's a defining feature on the console and if/when I buy one it'll largely be because of the fact it will offer me experiences and software I can't get on other platforms. As a father to three young kids, asynchronous stuff and Off-TV play are killer features. The Nintendo IP and possibility of "family-friendly" software on the platform are also two big positives. Only thing stopping me from jumping in is the price and the software. Drop the former, fill out the library of the latter and I'll buy one.

Clearly I personally am more interested in the PS4, 360 2, Vita and PC stuff, but I think dropping the tablet on the Wii-U would be a big mistake. Why dump your distinguishing feature and sell, essentially, a 360 with a Nintendo logo on the front? With some decent marketing, targeting people like me, I can't see any reason they can't shift a fair few of them over the coming years.

Sendou

It would set retail expectations at a reasonable level.

Edit: And of course there have, but most people seem to be happy with Nintendo for Nintendo IP's, and have another console for third party stuff.

How would that even work? "Hey let's make this console where we keep the retail expectations so low it hardly breaks even after R&D costs. Oh yeah and we won't allow 3rd party games despite they paying licenses from making their games on our platform is one of the most profitable business we do"

Dead Man

How would that even work? "Hey let's make this console where we keep the retail expectations so low it hardly breaks even after R&D costs. Oh yeah and we won't allow 3rd party games despite they paying licenses from making their games on our platform is one of the most profitable business we do"

Shit man, I'm just throwing shit at the wall.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Of course it can be dropped. You redesign the OS to work properly with a controller and you force all games from here on to work with a Wiimote/Pro Controller only layout. It's not impossible.

I'm at the point where I want the entire OS to have a rewrite. Those load times are horrendous.

Sendou

Shit man, I'm just throwing shit at the wall.

The amount of shit that gets thrown around in this thread makes me really wonder if anybody is actually talking seriously.

I'm at the point where I want the entire OS to have a rewrite. Those load times are horrendous.

That's more or less what they will have to do. There's not really any magic buttons they can press to suddenly deliver those promises about speeding up the OS.

nintendo doesnt need to make a 1st party box, but if they really arent going to make the system 3rd parties want they basically need to become a disney like game publisher where they buy up many different companies and just support the system themselves

It sounds like that's what they will do. We still need to hear about those collobrations Iwata mentioned. FE x SMT was the first but hopefully there's others incoming.

nintendo doesnt need to make a 1st party box, but if they really arent going to make the system 3rd parties want they basically need to become a disney like game publisher where they buy up many different companies and just support the system themselves

AZ Greg

They should just pull the plug on the WiiU, temporarily release their games on the PS4/720 to get that base interested in their games, hopefully building a following there, and then a few years down the line release a new console that is better prepared and more competitive with Sony and MS' offerings.

People blaming marketing, a lack of awareness and brand confusion don't seem to realise one thing. Yes, they chose a stupid name. Yes, they concept isn't simple. Yes, they should probably create more awareness. I agree with all that.

But it's not the core problem. I'm sorry to those who have it and those who like it, but the simple reality is the product itself is not broadly appealing. Even if made aware of it, there is no real market for it.
People need to stop suggesting that Nintendo gets rid of the Gamepad. It's an essential component. Much (though admittedly not all) of the philosophy behind the system is lost without it.
And thus, they have a fundamentally flawed product offering.

Dead Man

The amount of shit that gets thrown around in this thread makes me really wonder if anybody is actually talking seriously.

That's more or less what they will have to do. There's not really any magic buttons they can press to suddenly deliver those promises about speeding up the OS.

It sounds like that's what they will do. We still need to hear about those collobrations Iwata mentioned. FE x SMT was the first but hopefully there's others incoming.

LOL, my idea gets you pissy and this one you like? I guess I didn't sell it very well. And no, I am not talking seriously, the situation is a joke.

pixlexic

Banned
Nintendo is in the good situation where no matter how bad things get they can just release a mario kart sell a million systems.

That has also been the bad part of nintendo. They know all they have to do is release a mario kart. I really hope they pay attention and make the changes to the os where they are needed.

People blaming marketing, a lack of awareness and brand confusion don't seem to realise one thing. Yes, they chose a stupid name. Yes, they concept isn't simple. Yes, they should probably create more awareness. I agree with all that.

But it's not the core problem. I'm sorry to those who have it and those who like it, but the simple reality is the product itself is not broadly appealing. Even if made aware of it, there is no real market for it.
And thus, they have a fundamentally flawed product offering.

Probable but theres no real way to tell till the price comes down, there is marketing, and more games. I dont like comparing with the 3ds but you can really call that a more unappealing product in todays smartphone market but it still does better han wiiu

Dead Man

The idea I like? Please elaborate.

Man, it's early here, I haven't slept. I don't actually care at all, I'm just being a pain in the arse. But for the sake of finishing the conversation, the one you are saying they will do (the Disney option) is not that different to the one you disliked (First party only).

They should just pull the plug on the WiiU, temporarily release their games on the PS4/720 to get that base interested in their games, hopefully building a following there, and then a few years down the line release a new console that is better prepared and more competitive with Sony and MS' offerings.

That's crazy talk, really.

People weren't even saying stuff like that when the PS3 started off rough.

Sendou

Man, it's early here, I haven't slept. I don't actually care at all, I'm just being a pain in the arse. But for the sake of finishing the conversation, the one you are saying they will do (the Disney option) is not that different to the one you disliked (First party only).

Well we're more or less in the same situation (as far as the amount of sleeping is considered)

What I was just saying is that Nintendo is seemingly taking the approach where they approach 3rd parties with funding to
a) outsource their IP's
b) fund games developed exclusively for Wii U
c) collobrate with 3rd parties (like FE x SMT)

Nintendo needs exclusive games for Wii U that utilize GamePad to get units moving. People buy gaming consoles to play games and no name changing or price dropping will not do anything without those. So yes I do think that funding 3rd parties is a great way to increase the overall value of a platform.

And I didn't mean to sound pissy, apologies for that.

JoeM86

I really don't get why people are so against the GamePad. It is truly revolutionary. Off-TV Play is incredibly useful and the uses in other games is really worth it.

I've typically found as is the case with people I know in real life, is people hesitant to the idea just based on what it is, but when they finally get their hands on the console and the GamePad, and see how it works, then they get it and realise how big it is for gaming.

Nintendo should NOT drop the GamePad. They also will not go third party. What they need to do is market better and release games. That's all.

Plus, the OS isn't an issue with sales now, is it? Most people who buy consoles have no idea what the OS for any console prior to purchasing. Besides, the OS isn't that bad. I find it more efficient than the 360's, it just needs to be a tad faster, which it will be come the next update

Dead Man

Well we're more or less in the same situation (as far as the amount of sleeping is considered)

What I was just saying is that Nintendo is seemingly taking the approach where they approach 3rd parties with funding to
a) outsource their IP's
b) fund games developed exclusively for Wii U
c) collobrate with 3rd parties (like FE x SMT)

Nintendo needs exclusive games for Wii U that utilize GamePad to get units moving. People buy gaming consoles to play games and no name changing or price dropping will not do anything without those. So yes I do think that funding 3rd parties is a great way to increase the overall value of a platform.

And I didn't mean to sound pissy, apologies for that.

All good man, you were fine. Thanks for the extra explanation.

Sendou

I really don't get why people are so against the GamePad.

Simply because there's like one or two games that really utilize it. Now those games (Nintendo Land, ZombiU...) are really good and show great promise but they alone won't carry Wii U far.

Top Bottom