• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to meet UK retailers after unofficial Wii U price cuts fail

Effect

Redesign the system, change the logo so that the U part is not ugly and amateur looking and at the same the Wii part is less noticeable. That should help the marketing.

Pointless.

Changing the name. Dropping the gamepad. Anything like that does nothing and shouldn't be done.

Clear and simple marketing will do away with any confusion as to what the system is. This has not been done anywhere and for that reason alone heads should roll at Nintendo. Then games, games, and more games from Nintendo along side clear and simple marketing of the games will sell the system to people.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo needs a DS-lite turnaround. Have 3D Mario U, Mario Kart U, Windwaker HD, Wii Sports U, and a more attractive (to the eyes) console/pad ou this holiday season for $250 with NintendoLand installed.

I know it sounds drastic, but they need drastic. Hopefully Nintendo has something along those lines planned for this holiday season.

It's a $150 albatross hanging around the Wii U's neck. The system won't sell for over $199 and it won't hit $199 without taking a huge loss or dropping the tablet.

Ok, so what's wrong with relaunching a failing system?

Many millions in write-off costs. Imagine all of the confusion, the materials you would have to recall...the unsold inventory you'd have to dump...all of those R&D opportunity costs wasted...

Consoles are investments. You can't just decide to throwaway an integral feature of a console without major repercussions.

Strangely enough, I wouldn't miss the tablet that much, I guess.

I love being able to play games on the crapper, but the biggest thing about the Wii is that it is HD (imo).

I think games won't use "asymmetrical gameplay" anyway, in the future.

So it boils down to having a map on the gamepad, and that's it.

So, a Wii U at a much lower price point with a WiiMote doesn't sound so bad to me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pointless.

Changing the name. Dropping the gamepad. Anything like that does nothing and shouldn't be done.

Clear and simple marketing will do away with any confusion as to what the system is. This has not been and for that reason alone heads should roll at Nintendo. Then games, games, and more games from Nintendo along side clear and simple marketing of the games will sell the system to people.

Nintendo needs a DS-lite turnaround. Have 3D Mario U, Mario Kart U, Windwaker HD, Wii Sports U, and a more attractive (to the eyes) console/pad ou this holiday season for $250 with NintendoLand installed.

I know it sounds drastic, but they need drastic. Hopefully Nintendo has something along those lines planned for this holiday season.

I personally don't think the physical appearance of the console or the gamepad are as big a deal as they've been made out.

But otherwise, I agree - the problem here isn't the name, it's not the font, the color, and it's not entirely the price. It's marketing and content, at the end of the day.

Nintendo obviously was pushed beyond their ability at the time (if we give Iwata any credit for being truthful about having overcome development hurdles) to get such hardware, OS, apps, and retail games ready for Christmas 2012. The fact that they couldn't figure out how to market it didn't help any.

Priory list for what Wii U needs:

1. Games
2. Marketing
3. Price cut

Thing is, the games will come (Nintendo has no choice there).

The only questions are: will they come at a sufficient pace, will Nintendo figure out how to market effectively in combination with the games, and will they officially price cut at a time that's harmonious with the games and better marketing.

Daingurse

I really believe there is no easy fix to the Wii U situation. Sure once the software comes many of us, the core gamers will jump on, but the audience that made the Wii such a success is gone. That audience probably cares more about smartphones and tablets now. I foresee Gamecube levels of success, but hey I loved my Cube. Then again I loved my Dreamcast too. . .

troushers

I'm struggling to think of any major partnerships Nintendo has made with Western brands that would lead you to believe that.

Major partnerships? Who said anything about major partnerships? Their style seems to be less about headline partnerships and more about minor but important behind the scenes deals. The BBC iPlayer channel, for instance. Or Netflix or Lovefilm channels. Why would you need major partnership with Weightwatchers to be able to output your weight or activity to an external website? You can already do this tracking - it would just automate the process instead of requiring manual inputs.

I mean, if Nintendo was all about major partnerships, why isn't Sing Party the ultimate karaoke machine, with a huge selection of songs freely available? They could do a partnership with Apple - like this song you just sang? Buy it on the iTunes store with your Wii U iTunes App!

You make music rights management sound so easy. It's not as if Apple struggled for years for that competitive advantage. I'm sure they would offer it up for a trickle of karaoke song sales.

Look at TVii - they partnered with a bit player, that apparently hasn't updated the app to fix the problems in the US release, and it's not even released yet in the UK. It's still not working with DVR's or Netflix.

They haven't updated it in 4 months? Jesus, those animals. It's not as if they have major OS updates planned for spring and summer.

Moral of the story: Nintendo stinks at partnerships.

I don't have any problem with your opinion. I just think it's weird that the one upgrade you can envisage coming for the Fit games is 'HD graphics' as though the original, with its ghost people and Frank Lampard lookalike was some sort of jawdropping powerhouse of graphical fidelity.

Its pretty much too late to drop the tablet considering how many games are in development 1st party wise and not everyone would patch games because 3rd party sales have been so bad. They either give up and release a new console in 2015 or stick it out.

The Wiiu but moreso the 3ds are nintendo at their creative worst. They really just looked at the tech that was becoming popular and based thei whole systems around that but with massive limitations that hold very little appeal to the original market. They didnt even try to get 3d movies as DD on 3ds. Theres so many other selling points that could have been much more interesting than a controller screen and 3d. Besides 2-3 games how many games have truly been shown to have 3d as a gamechanger. The pointer was a revolution for shooters for me and touchscreen was amazing for different kind of genres.

NeonZ

Its pretty much too late to drop the tablet considering how many games are in development 1st party wise
Not every game uses the Tablet as an essential aspect even as things are though. Many games likely could be easily redesgined to eliminate it.

and not everyone would patch games because 3rd party sales have been so bad.

That's why they'd need a new name for the new Tablet-less model. They could market and patch some old standard Wii U games as compatible with it, and from that point on everything would be made to work without the tablet, which would stay supported as an optional acessory.

It's not happening though.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
I said this before launch! Release a WiiU as Wii 2 and make pad optional. You guys really can't see the elephant here? Third party devs and more to the point publishers - don't wanna make a game that isn't cost-easy to port between HD consoles. Next gen Xbox & ps3 development is rumored to be easy as easy can be for devs. They will not be making concurrent releases on wiiu if the game is even possible to dumb down to wiiu specs. And then your asking them to add pad functionality? To a comparatively non-existent user base?

The pad was never revolutionary (though they scared MS into singing about Surface) ...it was a trend following failure. Mostly because the trend they thought was the next Wii remote...is about tons of functionality and portability.
3hr charge pad with single touch and low resolution is dismal at best.

Marketing is also massive cock-up. And no steady software that proves their pad as the next big thing ....it's shocking to me that Ninny could fail so hard in so many areas at once!!!

With Sony & MS releasing next gen soon...it's going to be really really bad for Ninny's WiiU.
When Reggie said that Ninny wouldn't compete in the online arena vs Sony or MS due to their enormous 7yr head start ....that should've been the red flag to steer clear!!!

But I get it, people have nostalgia for Nintenfo and their aging ips. And they are fun. But are they is fun to ignore the failings and wait for their release?

I'd like Ninny to succeed and pressure the other two to step up and lower retail costs. But I'm pretty sure that Ninny was always lost on WiiU target market and understanding the audience they left behind for casuals. They couldn't even see why trophy/achievements are important enough to make standard across all games. Their is a whole group of gamers who won't trade a game simply because they are trying to 100% the games.

Anyhow...
Price cut significantly
Add pro controller and make pad optional
Rewrite OS
Market as the family alternative that's cheaper than the other two guys.
Release games from 1st partu

Duxxy3

And then what? No more sales after that? Because you basically described the Gamecube...

Right now gamecube sales would be a huge improvement.

And no, i didn't say there wouldn't be anymore sales. Overnight was just an exaggeration of quick sales.

Has anybody actually bought a Wii U for the tablet? Specifically for the tablet? My only interest in the system is for HD Nintendo games. The tablet does nothing for me except inflate the initial cost of the system.

Thorgal

I never said they should change the name, because that's not something they could do that easily. This is what I meant:

3bV2xEN.png

that would not help

As long as that Wii is in the front of the U people would still assume it is a add on called the U tablet for Wii

Wii should be removed entirely or nothing will change.

Fandangox

Right now gamecube sales would be a huge improvement.

And no, i didn't say there wouldn't be anymore sales. Overnight was just an exaggeration of quick sales.

Has anybody actually bought a Wii U for the tablet? Specifically for the tablet? My only interest in the system is for HD Nintendo games. The tablet does nothing for me except inflate the initial cost of the system.

Not at first but now after using Off Tv play is pretty much a big factor on what games I get.

I'm a core gamer who bought the Wii at launch but ended up frustrated at the lack of quality games on the platform. Nintendo even admitted that they'd decided to support casual gamers over their core fans and I can't help but wonder if this has impacted the sales of the Wii U. I have not bought one nor do I intend to any time soon as I don't want to repeat the mistake of the Wii and end up with a console that remains unused for four years.

I fear that by the time the Wii U games arrive that people are craving for that the PS4 and next Xbox will be grabbing the limelight and, I suspect, that is what most core gamers are waiting for. I know I am. The Wii U is in a similar situation really to the poor old Dreamcast, which sold poorly as people waited for the PS2. I suspect a lot of people are waiting for the real next-generation consoles. The Wii U having multi-format games like Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted is of no interest to me as I played them months ago (and superior versions too on my PC) and currently the exclusives are not looking that appealing. Monster Hunter 3 and LEGO Undercover City are not the sort of games I'm interested either.

I suspect I will end up not buying the Wii U at all. There's only so many Super Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda games I can stand before even those start to get tired. Nintendo need to innovate IMO by releasing new and exciting franchises, not recycling the same old tired ones each generation. Much as I love The Wind Waker, the news that an HD version is coming to the Wii U actually depresses me as it shows a Nintendo that is more interested in looking to past glories rather than being forward thinking.

Davey Cakes

Not at first but now after using Off Tv play is pretty much a big factor on what games I get.
Once you use the Gamepad enough, you understand why it's integral to the console. This is why Wii U owners are rather adamant about it.

The problem with the Wii U is that Nintendo hasn't done the best job of getting it into peoples' hands. The Wii sold itself once people picked up a Wiimote and played Wii Sports. It's much more difficult to pull something similar off with the new system, but it's not impossible.

Games, marketing, and "playing is believing." These things will help the Wii U in the long run but Nintendo has to get on it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
that would not help

As long as that Wii is in the front of the U people would still assume it is a add on called the U tablet for Wii

Wii should be removed entirely or nothing will change.

I wonder how much market research they did before announcing the Wii U.

The "Wii" branding stopped helping them about 3 years ago.

M74

It's a $150 albatross hanging around the Wii U's neck. The system won't sell for over $199 and it won't hit $199 without taking a huge loss or dropping the tablet.

Ok, so what's wrong with relaunching a failing system?

It's more like $75 to Nintendo directly.

Your assertions about it not selling due to price is a bit silly. It's not about price. It's about value. Nintendo has a value-perception problem. It doesn't require a reboot, relaunch, rebrand, or redesign. It requires software. It requires feature expansion. It's failing because they haven't yet developed value-rich support around the system.

Effect

I said this before launch! Release a WiiU as Wii 2 and make pad optional. You guys really can't see the elephant here? Third party devs and more to the point publishers - don't wanna make a game that isn't cost-easy to port between HD consoles. Next gen Xbox & ps3 development is rumored to be easy as easy can be for devs. They will not be making concurrent releases on wiiu if the game is even possible to dumb down to wiiu specs. And then your asking them to add pad functionality? To a comparatively non-existent user base?

All developers have to do is toss pieces of the interface that is on the TV down to the gamepad. Or simply make the game playable on the gamepad and just have a logo when it's on the TV. That is all they have to do if they don't want to do anything extra. That gamepad can not be used as an excuse by anyone. Period.

Your assertions about it not selling due to price is a bit silly. It's not about price. It's about value. Nintendo has a value-perception problem. It doesn't require a reboot, relaunch, rebrand, or redesign. It requires software. It requires feature expansion. It's failing because they haven't yet developed value-rich support around the system.
You're right. The issue is value.

To most people, the tablet controller's value is lower than even a 360 controller.

The Wii U console is valued lower than a 360 or PS3.

Dumping the unwanted controller and lowering the price to $200 would give the system half a chance of living.

AZ Greg

The problem with developing this "value-rich support" is that, based on the past, we know great 1st party games alone are not enough. And there are no signs of a 3rd party renaissance for Nintendo.

Minions

HMV are selling it for £199 with Nintendo Land and Zombi U! Seriously considering getting one.

Better deal than you guys were getting.... about on par with what they are selling for in the USA. I'm not on board with the current USA prices, so I guess perhaps it is a relative thing, since the consoles normally cost more over there.

You could always wait and see. I think Nintendo is going to be launching some bitching bundles for £250... or even £200.... but only time will tell.

Of course if it gets cheaper in Europe... then perhaps the sales in the USA will take an even greater hit?

Better deal than you guys were getting.... about on par with what they are selling for in the USA. I'm not on board with the current USA prices, so I guess perhaps it is a relative thing, since the consoles normally cost more over there.

You could always wait and see. I think Nintendo is going to be launching some bitching bundles for £250... or even £200.... but only time will tell.

Of course if it gets cheaper in Europe... then perhaps the sales in the USA will take an even greater hit?
I'm waiting for the premium to hit £150 bundled with NSBU and Nintendo Land.

£200 is a lot more attractive than it was before though.

To most people, the tablet controller's value is lower than even a 360 controller.

I think that's a bit extreme.

Dumping the unwanted controller and lowering the price to $200 would give the system half a chance of living.

They can't dump the controller. It's too integral to the design of the system. I bought a cheap used Wii U yesterday and once you use it, it's obvious. It might be a mistake, but it's not something that can be dropped.

Taker666

..but if everyone wants off tv play..it really does mean Nintendo should dump the Gamepad.

There's no point in the Gamepad being any more than an add-on if dual screen play isn't used in any meaningful way.

If games aren't designed around the concept of using both screens..then bundling a second screen is ultimately a waste of money.

You do? I really don't. It doesn't matter what the fuck the name is if there's not a competent software library. It's not exactly rocket science.

From a retailing POV it does matter. As i said earlier in this thread, there are people who think this is just an add-on for the Wii like Wii Fit.

Deadstar

Why would a price cut increase sales when there are no games? I bought a ton of games at launch and there's been nothing since Monster Hunter, which just came out.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah I do agree that Nintendo are having trouble supporting the Wii U but I think it speaks more about their first forays into HD development rather than inability to support two platforms. Wii and DS did a mighty fine job co-existing with the both of them turning the Nintendo brand into a powerhouse and since the switch between GC and Wii was so minor they already had development tools they were used to. The whole "they can't support two platforms at once" argument doesn't convince me the slightest.

2 years of a Wii software drought should have been spent working on the new software for the Wii U but I'm inclined to believe that if all Nintendo's main teams have been busy doing games for the Wii U (and why shouldn't they?) then I think there ought to be a good line-up behind the scenes waiting to come out that's been held back on account of development issues.

@bolded

Conditionally, I agree. It depends again, if they have or will seek the necessary support that comes from an expansion to meet increased pproduction demand.

..but if everyone wants off tv play..it really does mean Nintendo should dump the Gamepad.

There's no point in the Gamepad being any more than an add-on if dual screen play isn't used in any meaningful way.

If games aren't designed around the concept of using both screens..then bundling a second screen is ultimately a waste of money.

There's system UI stuff that is done ONLY through the gamepad. Personally not a choice I would have made, but they are really locked to the gamepad now.

Sendou

Honestly, this. Off-tv play should be required. Its the best thing about the gamepad, bar none.

Have you played Nintendo Land? There is a lot of gameplay potential with GamePad. Multiplayer with GamePad is arguably better than Off-TV play. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

From a retailing POV it does matter. As i said earlier in this thread, there are people who think this is just an add-on for the Wii like Wii Fit.

It's secondary. People won't buy the product as it currently is no matter what they call it. Besides Wii is still a strong brand something that GAF likes to forget.

kinggroin

Banned
in hindsight I've have shipped a more powerful standard machine with a motion sensing pro controller, and had the tablet as a day one optional accessory for off-screen play, also supporting remoteplay via wifi (with added lag)

I've said the same thing, except make it mandatory to support off screen play. Everyone laughed.

Top Bottom