• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release/News Conference

E-phonk

Banned
NX in march 2017 means nintendo would be throwing a holiday out the window. I wonder what happened.

Would that make any sense tech wise? As in: would they be able to walk a different tech path than we speculated?
I'm mostly looking at the handheld side of NX, as imo that's more important to nintendo's bottom line. And not just power wise, but just something that is important enough to wait for.

GamerJM

Banned
Hey brehs just remember worse case scenario is Nintendo saying they will not announce any NX info at E3 and its not launching this year

Like it's still possible so don't get too hyped, this is still just a FY meeting

Okay for real tho this is some amazing prediction skills

This forum is notorious for complaining, but another thing is also true, we love playing games. The fact that we are only getting scraps this past year was softened by the belief that Nintendo is gearing up for a new platform this year. So you can imagine the disappointment when Nintendo announced today's headlines. Not only are we not going to get the NX, we are not getting Zelda either. What's worse, there's nothing on the horizon to compensate for these losses in 2016. Basically, we will be getting scraps from Nintendo once again.

That's why it's a problem, to me at least. They could have at least given us something, like a name or a concept or whatever to soften the blow but nope. We are getting nothing, flat out.

I agree it does suck there won't be any Nintendo games. And it's because Nintendo moved all development to NX. The problem is Nintendo has NO third party support. If they had third party support then it wouldn't be so bad. I hope Nintendo seriously fixes their third party problem.

Thought it got announced at the end of June for some reason.

Did you forget how big Nintendo's launch window is? By their standards it did. Plus they didn't announce it in July because sales were great through June.

Launch windooooowsssss. There is a term I forgot about, but seriously, Come on bro.

I will concede that maybe your definition of "horribly" and mine differ then.

TLZ

Banned
March is only 3 months after holidays. It's not like it's holiday 2017. More time to save money :D

Hopefully means we get better hardware then?

Would that make any sense tech wise? As in: would they be able to walk a different tech path than we speculated?
I'm mostly looking at the handheld side of NX, as imo that's more important to nintendo's bottom line. And not just power wise, but just something that is important enough to wait for.

5 months delay won't change your tech.

Launch windooooowsssss. There is a term I forgot about, but seriously, Come on bro.

I will concede that maybe your definition of "horribly" and mine differ then.

I admitted I was wrong about the month. Your view and my view on what's considered launch is different, that's it.

Anyways, anyone have an idea on when specs might start leaking?

Roo

NX in march 2017 means nintendo would be throwing a holiday out the window. I wonder what happened.

Well..

- Their software output simply won't be ready at the end of the year and they need more time

-Considering they used "NX won't simply replace Wii U and 3DS"
Maybe they're trying to launch both variants of NX (handheld and console) at the same time globally?

- They decided to tweak something from NX' specs to be closer to PS4K.

- All the above :p

If Nintendo was releasing the NX this year it would've been in November. Atleast it's only 4 months later lol.

All I want is Nintendo to make the best decisions for the company. It sucks for us we don't get console Nintendo games, but Nintendo has screwed themselves by not having a system that makes it easy for third party devs to support.

Edit: I wonder if Kimishima may have played a role in this. Maybe he's making upgrades to the NX, internally? Iwata may have had a certain plan, but who knows with Kimishima in charge now.

I admitted I was wrong about the month. Your view and my view on what's considered launch is different, that's it.

Anyways, anyone have an idea on when specs might start leaking?

It's Nintendo. There will not be anything solid until MAYBE 2 months before launch when truely final dev kits start hitting developers. Until then, it all comes down to whose rumors you believe more.

Well..

- Their software output simply won't be ready at the end of the year and they need more time

-Considering they used "NX won't simply replace Wii U and 3DS"
Maybe they're trying to launch both variants of NX (handheld and console) at the same time globally?

- They decided to tweak something from NX' specs to be closer to PS4K.

- All the above :p
That "won't replace" talk, sure it will replace them, just like DS replaced the Gameboy-Brand. To me, that's only for the Wii U/3DS owners, as in, "you'll still get games". For a certain time, NX, 3DS ... and maybe somehow Wii U, will of course, co-exist.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All these news today make me conclude that there was something that went terribly wrong with the NX timeline. That would explain March 2017 release date, Zelda delay and E3 fuck-up. Practically they aren't ready to show anything NX yet, so they're forced to show Zelda Wii U and hope for the best.

Galava

All these news today make me conclude that there was something that went terribly wrong with the NX timeline. That would explain March 2017 release date, Zelda delay and E3 fuck-up. Practically they aren't ready to show anything NX yet, so they're forced to show Zelda Wii U and hope for the best.

Something production related or concept related?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Something hardware related I think. Production related issues wouldn't have impacted the E3 plans, so there must be something concept/prototype related. Or maybe something wrong at the suppliers.

If it was software related they could at least reveal the hardware and show some trailers.

Who the fuck knows! Just as likely, it could have never been in the cards for this year. We don't know.

But a 2017 release definitely means certain chips and memory that would have been sketchy for a 2016 holiday release (remember, chips start to get made MONTHS in advance of actual main production because of yeild variance) are now on the table for the NX.

That coupled with, the parts may simply be cheaper to make by this time next year too depending on whatever concept the system has.

Aligning an OS launch for a console with dozens of in development games for certification is a nightmare, so at the very least, giving this more time played a role.

Litri

Something hardware related I think. Production related issues wouldn't have impacted the E3 plans, so there must be something concept/prototype related. Or maybe something wrong at the suppliers.

If it was software related they could at least reveal the hardware and show some trailers.

Polaris? Zen?

Vertti

This forum is notorious for complaining, but another thing is also true, we love playing games. The fact that we are only getting scraps this past year was softened by the belief that Nintendo is gearing up for a new platform this year. So you can imagine the disappointment when Nintendo announced today's headlines. Not only are we not going to get the NX, we are not getting Zelda either. What's worse, there's nothing on the horizon to compensate for these losses in 2016. Basically, we will be getting scraps from Nintendo once again.

That's why it's a problem, to me at least. They could have at least given us something, like a name or a concept or whatever to soften the blow but nope. We are getting nothing, flat out.
Well if we love playing games then we also know the year 2016 is filled with awesome games to play even without new Zelda or NX. I like Nintendo games but I can live without them if I have something else to play. And I totally do.

I don't know. You can still show a box without showing the inside. And trailers running on similar hardware. It must be more than that.

Nintendo never talks about specific specs anyway.

Software or hardware wasn't ready for 2016. The decision to blow their initial first reaction info overload would likely seem wasted with launch so far out. Again, e3 is not the end all be all of this industry. Why be a slave to it?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't know. You can still show a box without showing the inside. And trailers running on similar hardware. It must be more than that.
I think that the reason they won't be showing NX at E3 is not because they could not show mockups. They won't be showing NX at E3 because their launch won't be during the respective holiday, and they don't want to disclose their new hook so early. Frankly, I'm suspecting supply/ramp/debug hw issues.

On another note, 14LPP starts sounding like .. an option.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Software or hardware wasn't ready for 2016. The decision to blow their initial first reaction info overload would likely seem wasted with launch so far out. Again, e3 is not the end all be all of this industry. Why be a slave to it?

The delay and not showing anything at E3 due to software would make sense only if all or most of the games are in delay which is kind of not so probable. The most probable scenario is that there is a problem with the hardware.

E3 is not the end of all things, but missing E3 and holiday season in a year that they promised to be the start of seeing NIntendo-like profits again is a very big fuck-up.

Also they will reveal and launch NX most probably after PS Neo (and maybe Xbox new thing) so they will have even more pressure on them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ayy can I get a young tag change tho fam? I decided to go to bed instead of waiting, I got a W.

You never getting a new tag is the L you received. Take it, accept it, embrace it. You'll always be the L.

Beartruck

It's not exactly worthless either. A bad E3 showing is a good part of what sunk the Xbox One.

Xbox and Playstation are now mid generation with each of their consoles, releasing slightly stronger updates to their consoles holiday season, with a wave a new exciting interesting games that come with a system in its prime. Nintendo has Zelda. Just Zelda. The message sent to consumers will be that this company is just barely hanging on to life.

ASIS

Well if we love playing games then we also know the year 2016 is filled with awesome games to play even without new Zelda or NX. I like Nintendo games but I can live without them if I have something else to play. And I totally do.

On Nintendo Platforms? there's hardly anything.

Jinketsu

They're not showing NX at E3 to focus on Zelda, but that's at E3. They could still show it during a Nintendo Direct or something, right?

They're not showing NX at E3 to focus on Zelda, but that's at E3. They could still show it during a Nintendo Direct or something, right?
NX will be revealed after E3 they said. It could be a direct, but I think it will be an event because I would think they would want people to give hands on impressions and have the biggest coverage.

ozfunghi

I think that the reason they won't be showing NX at E3 is not because they could not show mockups. They won't be showing NX at E3 because their launch won't be during the respective holiday, and they don't want to disclose their new hook so early. Frankly, I'm suspecting supply/ramp/debug hw issues.

On another note, 14LPP starts sounding like .. an option.

At this point, it would be dumb not to. They might just as well postpone it a few months to make it so. Doesn't really matter anymore if they launch in March or May now.

5 months delay won't change your tech.

The consensus from tech-gaf was that a late 2016 release would not be possible with 14nm process. Postponing it +/- 6 months would make using a 14nm process much more feasable and likely.

14nm means even Polaris and Zen (for instance) are back on the table. And even if they aren't, 14nm also means less heat, less noise, less power consumption, higher clockspeeds...

I know sentiment is mostly negative, but we did get a solid release window for NX and Nintendo has turned a profit (by net income) for two consecutive years for the first time since 2010-2011.

Silver lining, I know. But trying to stay positive!

Eradicate

Because I spent more than 10 minutes on this and can't bear to have it lost in that tidal wave of another thread:

elP55WO.gif

(I am looking forward to the other thing going on tonight/tomorrow! Hopefully some more information comes out! It's a Q/A right? Any sign of a PDF press release with the NX name?!)

-Horizon-

Because I spent more than 10 minutes on this and can't bear to have it lost in that tidal wave of another thread:

elP55WO.gif

(I am looking forward to the other thing going on tonight/tomorrow! Hopefully some more information comes out! It's a Q/A right? Any sign of a PDF press release with the NX name?!)

lmao
well done!

Chittagong

Gold Member

elP55WO.gif

LOOOL

elP55WO.gif

Lmao this is too good

I also wonder about the SuperMetalDave64 rumor, it said something about Zelda U coming in 2016.

Is the information outdated like the Smash 4 Gematsu rumor?

Top Bottom