• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release/News Conference

There could be a number of reasons they're holding out for a couple of months. The main thing could be that there's just too much shit coming out. Sony has seemingly got the end of the year covered.

Maybe this thing just wasn't ready. They could have rushed it with another bad launch, or take their time with it. They're missing Holiday 2016, but come Holiday 2017 they'll have a good line up of games and bundles to sell. Then there's also the Summer months when folks have a more free time.

Launching in the spring has worked for their handhelds. I'm excited to see how this goes.

The 3DS bombed horribly at launch. That was due more to price than release date but still.

An own event? That's somewhat reassuring, i'd guess they didn't want to get drowned during E³ if Sony and MS show their hardware updates.

But why wasn't that a god damn part of the sentence that talked about NX in 2017 in their press release? FFS Nintendo, this is important stuff to know.

duvjones

Banned
No NX at E3 ? What the hell are you thinking Nintendo ?
Rather simple, the market that Nintendo has been targeting for years simply doesn't go to E3. They have little to no eye of current gaming culture nor care for much of it. Why showcase a device in a place where most of your market isn't present, nearly one year before it goes to market?

I don't see the point.

Striek

Mess. Sounds like NX isn't going smoothly, Wii U and 3DS are left out to rot, financials are mediocre and almost a whole year with almost nothing in the pipeline. They also expect to grow profit with shrinking sales and a new platform launch in FY2017, lol.

They're expecting a 25% decline for 3DS sales and a 50% decline for Wii U.

Mess.

Mess. Sounds like NX isn't going smoothly, Wii U and 3DS are left out to rot, financials are mediocre and almost a whole year with almost nothing in the pipeline. They also expect to grow profit with shrinking sales and a new platform launch in FY2017, lol.

They're expecting a 25% decline for 3DS sales and a 50% decline for Wii U.

Mess.

It more sounds like it was all going smoothly until something forced their hand.

_PsiFire_

they did not rush the wii u out nor would they be rushing the nx out

they didn't announce didley shit for 3ds or wii u at last years e3. their big first party teams have to be working on SOMETHING.

missing the holiday is just hurting them, less so the consumer (we're just a bunch of impatient fanboys). there's a reason why so many major consumer products are released in september to november...
Normally, consoles sell out when they release, regardless of timing..

So, let's say if NX comes out in November (which it's not) and sells out. Great..

Now, it comes out in March and it sells out... Ok. So, umm.. What's the difference.

Sure, there's hardly a title coming out for the Wii U this year but its not like it would have sold anyway.

What if NX has a huge launch lineup in March; the launch titles won't be up against an onslaught of holiday titles. They get a little more attention. Maybe more than fanboys alone will take more notice this way.

Who the fuck knows.

I'm more upset that we won't see anything regarding NX at E3 than the sale of the thing in being in March. Who knows though, what if they have a great new concept and they don't want Sony/Microsoft to get a jump on it for their mid gen consoles. That's the only reason I think they would keep the reveal away.

Some disappointing news today but there could be some good to come of it...we just don't know it yet.

The 3DS bombed horribly at launch. That was due more to price than release date but still.

It didn't launch horribly, AT ALL. What it did do, was slow down during the summer to selling about about half of what Nintendo wanted it to be leading up to the holidays for its big games. Thus the price cut.

Ryoku

It more sounds like it was all going smoothly until something forced their hand.

Yeah, this. March 2017 implies that they desperately want to release it within this fiscal year (fiscal years end on March 31st), but something came up that made them bypass a holiday release. Who in the hell knows what that something could be. The optimist in me thinks last-minute hardware upgrade, but who knows.

That being said. A new console launching past the holiday season isn't too bad in a sense. Launch consoles sell out regardless and they'll barely have any huge software competition.

Sounds like Spaceworld is coming back!

What month did they do it the last time?

November if I remember correctly

When the Wii, DS and 3DS were announced they did something called Nintendo World. It was in Japan and focused on the games and launch details of those systems.

I'd would laugh my ass off, if this delay means a bump in hardware in relation to PS4K ... like, laugh for an hour straight. The thought alone is funny, Nintendo, of all companies, delays hardware to match/outdo hardware performance of a rival console.

Could this delay have a relation to the patent problems with the SCDs they had recently?

Emily did say the NX would have lots of games and more than the Wii U in its lifespan or something like that.

Makes me more excited for the NX!

kazooycar

Neo Member
I haven't seen anyone make a comment on this tweet by ZhugeEX yet

Nintendo says that the MOBILE version of ANIMAL CROSSING will be designed to work and interact with the DEDICATED version of the game.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/725236629405835264

I cant imagine the dedicated version of Animal Crossing they're referencing is ACNL or Happy Home Designer considering the mobile app is releasing around such a [currently] sparse holiday season... Anyone's thoughts on the potential for a Fall/Winter release of Animal Crossing Wii U? (I'm pretty wishful myself)

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Okay, I'm done for tonight, may get a couple hours of sleep. I fully expect to see more catastrophic news once I wake up.

The price cut got announced 3 months after launch.

It launched in early March (in NA) and the cut waz announced at the very end of July. Not 3 months.

That doesn't change the fact that you said it had a horrible launch, which it factually did not.

Oh man. Serious deja vu. I feel l Ike I had this debate with someone a few years ago.

ASIS

Rösti;202006245 said:
Yes. The news conference is over.

Next stop: 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing of Nintendo, tomorrow, April 28, at 10.00 AM JST.
What goes on in these usually? I know the Q&As but what else can we expect?

The price drop got announced at the end of July aka Summer like he said lol. The 3DS started off well and then started to struggle a bit later on.

Thought it got announced at the end of June for some reason.

It launched in early March (in NA) and the cut waz announced at the very end of July. Not 3 months.

That doesn't change the fact that you said it had a horrible launch, which it factually did not.

Oh man. Serious deja vu. I feel l Ike I had this debate with someone a few years ago.

Did you forget how big Nintendo's launch window is? By their standards it did. Plus they didn't announce it in July because sales were great through June.

AdanVC

Why did I stayed too late for this? Literally every single thing I was fearing the most became true during this investors meeting. EVERY SINGLE THING. NX in 2017 instead of holiday 2016. No NX at E3, Zelda got delayed, Zelda is going to be the only game they will shown at E3. Just awful all around.

I don't even see the big deal. If the NX isn't ready then it's not ready. If they reveal it in September or so then what's the problem? They know the NX is their future and they want to get it right. It's not releasing until March anyways so that would be good time to reveal. Wii U is obviously dead lol.

E3 does suck though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
NX in march 2017 means nintendo would be throwing a holiday out the window. I wonder what happened.

ASIS

I don't even see the big deal. If the NX isn't ready then it's not ready. If they reveal it in September or so then what's the problem? They know the NX is their future and they want to get it right. It's not releasing until March anyways so that would be good time to reveal. Wii U is obviously dead lol.

E3 does suck though.
This forum is notorious for complaining, but another thing is also true, we love playing games. The fact that we are only getting scraps this past year was softened by the belief that Nintendo is gearing up for a new platform this year. So you can imagine the disappointment when Nintendo announced today's headlines. Not only are we not going to get the NX, we are not getting Zelda either. What's worse, there's nothing on the horizon to compensate for these losses in 2016. Basically, we will be getting scraps from Nintendo once again.

That's why it's a problem, to me at least. They could have at least given us something, like a name or a concept or whatever to soften the blow but nope. We are getting nothing, flat out.

FZZ

Banned
Ayy can I get a young tag change tho fam? I decided to go to bed instead of waiting, I got a W.

Hey brehs just remember worse case scenario is Nintendo saying they will not announce any NX info at E3 and its not launching this year

Like it's still possible so don't get too hyped, this is still just a FY meeting

"NX is in development"

"That is all"

My tag is withholding us from NX info

Only Evilore can save us

This like my 3rd time posting this shit, so now I'm done. See y'all tomorrow when the rest of the world finds out about the news and the real meltdowns begin.

Top Bottom