• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release/News Conference

CEO: Nintendo hopes that METROID PRIME: FEDERATION FORCE will "RE ENERGISE" the 3DS this year
Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Meme-07.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
OK

So it seems to me Nintendo MIGHT be trying to release NX on their own terms. Saying fuck a E3, fuck a Microsoft, fuck a Sony, fuck an expectation, fuck this console bleeding, fuck this dying handheld besides pokemon

They seem to want everything in line for that global release. They could bring Spaceworld back. Actually, I can see a Nintendo Conference in the Fall leading up to it.

What they're doing is batshit crazy and this post will probably be buried beneath the "boo mobile" and "lol fucking Nintendo" posts but I think it's a huge gamble. It can either be a huge success or a huge step backwards.

Looking forward to FINALLY seeing Zelda at E3.

Plum

So the NX coming out four whole months later than some people expected is the end of the world for Nintendo and that's the story we're all going with here?

That four whole months misses the holiday season, so yeah it is pretty big. If Sony and Microsoft's upgraded consoles are scheduled to release around that time or in December then Nintendo better worry.

Memory

So the NX coming out four whole months later than some people expected is the end of the world for Nintendo and that's the story we're all going with here?

Welcome to Nintendo threads, Nintendo haters shit post and everyone else gets swept up into it.

ffdgh

Nah pretty sure the majority are somewhat shocked they decided to avoid the holidays.

From a personal perspective, it's whatever because four months is a short period of time all things considered. But there's no way to spin that as being a good decision business-wise. Missing a holiday cycle for a console launch hasn't happened for a major manufacturer in two decades, and there's a reason for it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The release date of the NX console and the biggest Zelda game to date is pretty serious for a lot of people.
Nintendo never said they were releasing it this year. They said they'd talk more about it this year. You have a case for Zelda I guess because they're obviously holding it back for the NX release but for most of this it was just a case of GAF overhyping something not even meant for them.

Fuchs

I'm totally fine with a launch in next march. For me this means more time for improvements.
Still it's mind-boggling, that we won't see or hear anything from the NX this E3. Maybe it's some kind of mistranslation and it's presented more or less during the E3 in their special Nintendo Direct? Come on Nintendo, you can't miss out on that E3 hype!

That four whole months misses the holiday season, so yeah it is pretty big. If Sony and Microsoft's upgraded consoles are scheduled to release around that time or in December then Nintendo better worry.

The current rumor is that they will reveal the PS4 NEO either at E3 or before the launch of the VR. And that the release will be Q1 2017.

ChaosXVI

I'm still in shock that NX isn't going to be at E3. Seriously, they could've announced it wasn't coming out until Q2 2017 and I'd have accepted that more than this news.

The obvious question now of course is, if not at E3, then when the fuck is the damn thing getting revealed?

Honestly though they're going at their own pace now, which is what they always did and when they didn't they released Wii U with barely any support from anyone. A lot of people who are complaining that they're missing the holidays would probably be pissed if it felt like it was rushed, again.

It may be bad now, but who knows if it's not better in the long run?

Though, not showing it at E3 at all is REALLY weird indeed.

I'm still in shock that NX isn't going to be at E3. Seriously, they could've announced it wasn't coming out until Q2 2017 and I'd have accepted that more than this news.

The obvious question now of course is, if not at E3, then when the fuck is the damn thing getting revealed?

Gamescom! Cause its for the players!

Everyone's freaking out and I'm sitting here like "ok" "oh wow" "interesting"

None of the news from this conference bothers me. Zelda getting delayed to launch simultaneously on Wii U and NX is a good move. NX launching March 2017 instead of Holiday 2016 is a decision I can't judge until that day comes. The IPs chosen for mobile apps/games don't matter, what matters is the games themselves. Most top mobile games are new IPs anyway. NX not being at E3 sucks, but as long as their E3 is good that's all that matters. NX will be revealed at some big event in 2016 so I'll wait til then.

So the people who bought in for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises are fools for not foreseeing that it would be released 4 years after first being announced, at the beginning of the Wii U lifespan? Guess people are fools for expecting titles to be released on a nintendo console at all.

In short, Yes. You should buy a console based on the tangible, released software or that which has a confirmed (By the developer/publisher) release date.

If this is your first time getting burned, then let it be a lesson to you.

I'm sure there are people who bought a PS3 for "The Last Guardian" too.

Peterc

Reveal should happen BIG at E3, but it isn't.
So this means the console get a NX release almost the same as wiiu did (at the end of this gen.), 2y laters we will see a ps5.

The only thing that can save them is if they bring something new mind blowing.

I'm totally fine with a launch in next march. For me this means more time for improvements.
Still it's mind-boggling, that we won't see or hear anything from the NX this E3. Maybe it's some kind of mistranslation and it's presented more or less during the E3 in their special Nintendo Direct? Come on Nintendo, you can't miss out on that E3 hype!

Yeah its got to be mentioned in some capacity. It was mentioned in last year's Direct if I remember correctly when Reggie said "We'll talk about our plans for the future with NX, at a later date. Stay tuned"

He may just repeat that same line verbatim for the E3 2016 direct.

jonno394

How return to Nintendo like profits this FY if their new device doesn't release until the very end of it? Unless by "Nintendo like profits" they don't actually mean Wii Nintendo

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
Nintendo never said they were releasing it this year. They said they'd talk more about it this year. You have a case for Zelda I guess because they're obviously holding it back for the NX release but for most of this it was just a case of GAF overhyping something not even meant for them.

That's great, I know they didn't say anything about when it's being released. But we're talking about the news. That's what you do on a forum. Why does it being an investors meeting change that? The release date of a console we're going to buy is absolutely information meant for us. It's not going to change if it's told to the public.

Which, by the by, it was told to the public on Nintendo America's twitter feed anyway, so I don't know what your angle is here.

MoonFrog

You know I was to the point where I thought my modest hype was pretty well founded...and then this. Lol. Pretty much as bad as it could get. The dead Wii U times continue or a weak NX launch. Not even Zelda u 2016. Nintendo is doing something really really weird.

It may be just 3 months but it happens to be the biggest buying season they're skipping?

yesrushdt

I'm not surprised by the delay. I remember how disappointed I was when the Nintendo 64 was delayed. It sucks but hopefully it will be for the best. There are still going to be some games to look forward to seeing at E3, most notably for me Yooka-Laylee on top of the new Zelda.

stilgar

Nintendo Direct.

Announced 1-2 hours before it begins.

Plum

The current rumor is that they will reveal the PS4 NEO either at E3 or before the launch of the VR. And that the release will be Q1 2017.

Yeah, I saw your previous post :p I'm just being tentative because, as this entire event shows, rumors are meant to be proved false. Also, since the upgraded consoles will literally just be more powerful existing consoles then the release date will be much more flexible.

Tagg9

Everyone's freaking out and I'm sitting here like "ok" "oh wow" "interesting"

None of the news from this conference bothers me. Zelda getting delayed to launch simultaneously on Wii U and NX is a good move. NX launching March 2017 instead of Holiday 2016 is a decision I can't judge until that day comes. The IPs chosen for mobile apps/games don't matter, what matters is the games themselves. Most top mobile games are new IPs anyway.

I can judge it now. It is a terrible move and initial sales will be significantly lower.

I suspect that they simply aren't prepared in terms of R&D, infrastructure, and games, but then that's simply bad planning.

J@hranimo

Banned
If NX really is supposed to come out in a year from now, they really should start explaining what the fuck this thing is.

It tells me they REALLY don't the competition to know what it is until they're ready...but it's getting to that point where we really do wanna know what the fuck it is lol.

Another L to the face for Nintendo fans. Sigh...
The 3DS and Wii U were both rushed out the door and both suffered for it.

Taking enough time to actually make enough software is not what I'd call taking L.

Like, are people flipping out because NX launches 4 months later than expected ? Having a constant stream of games and therefore momentum is far more important than the short-term sales boost a holiday season brings, just look at the Wii U.

Missing a massive shopping season,

Going into direct competition with PS4 Neo, possibly an upgraded Xbox One as well, instead of beating them to market,

Coasting yet another year on the Wii U with an anemic software catalogue, harkening back to the Wii drought yet again,

For it to be taking this long, maybe Nintendo is trying to do too much of them process themselves, instead of working with other companies that are already really good at building some of the aspects they require,

Won't even talk about it at the giant games trade show less than a year before the console is set to release globally. Compare that to when they started talking up the Wii.

Will be interesting if they announce something else aside from NX. NX isn't supposed to replace 3DS or Wii U, but what if they announce something separate from NX that would be systems that replace those?

wishful thinking?

AgeEighty

No NXinfo this E3. Zelda delayed for WiiU until NX launches...

Delayed? Was it ever confirmed for 2016? Or was that more assumptions?

As for E3, I can see there being disappointment there, but if the NX is coming out next March we will definitely have an unveiling of some sort this year, probably in the fall. So it's not like it's going to be that much longer than E3. And E3 is nine months before the release, which honestly is a bit too early.

So, new Paper Mario info soon? That is still 2016 so it's probably the big Holiday title now.
Well...better than last years Holiday Game.

NX in 2017 is fine. Zelda U too. I can wait. But no NX at E3 is just weird. I'd perfectly fine with WiiU and 3DS games forever but I can only see a couple surpises so it'll feel like a weak conference. Showing only WiiU Zelda is also eierd but I'll take it.

Fire Emblem Mobile better not be a actual SRPG. I have no iOS/Android device. You can't do this Nintendo. :(

oti

Banned
Ok. I can wait. All I'm asking for though is at least one cool new Wii U and 3DS game. Not Federation Force, not Paper Mario. Something cool for a nice farewell.

Tookay

GAF overhyped what exactly?

A common sense conclusion that, with two dying systems, Nintendo would release a successor this year, by the holidays (as is common business practice)?

They didn't have to say they were releasing it this year - it made a lot of strategic sense for them to do so.

The fact that they are missing the holiday window is a huge strategic blunder.

Top Bottom