• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release/News Conference

I can judge it now. It is a terrible move and initial sales will be significantly lower.

I suspect that they simply aren't prepared in terms of R&D, infrastructure, and games, but then that's simply bad planning.
That's easy to say as a random user on NeoGAF.

_PsiFire_

Everyone wants Nintendo to learn from the Wii U fumble..

Nintendo chooses not to rush a console out for the holidays like they did the Wii U.

People snap and want Nintendo to rush.

AzaK

p2TD2U0.png

I seriously LOLd

GamerJM

Banned
So the NX coming out four whole months later than some people expected is the end of the world for Nintendo and that's the story we're all going with here?

It's not. But coupled with it not hitting E3 something feels off/wrong. Like the NX is encountering some sort of development hiccups at least.

Nintendo chooses not to rush a console out for the holidays like they did the Wii U.

Nintendo makes people crazy.

It was confirmed during the latest direct.
They confirmed they would "TALK ABOUT IT" in 2016.

Edit: Oh wait, you're talking about Zelda. I should have looked at the comment you replied to. I thought you were talking about the NX.

Anth0ny

they could have had some decent momentum going from wii u to nx with a november 2016 launch

instead, wii u for the second half of 2016 is doing to be dry as FUCK and once again nintendo leads into their new console with zero momentum. i can't even imagine how low the holiday sales will be for wii u this year.

this is so insane.

Azcyatl

Well, let's embrace the thoughts of an E3 conference full of memes, Pokémon trailers, Zelda gameplay and TONS OF AMIIBOS!

AgeEighty

I love the received wisdom that you absolutely have to launch a new console for the holidays.

Yet, the same people will say it's also a huge mistake to launch a console before it's ready.

Because I'm sure the NX could be ready for Holiday 2016, and Nintendo is holding it back because they just fucking feel like it.

jackal27

Banned
Everyone's freaking out and I'm sitting here like "ok" "oh wow" "interesting"

None of the news from this conference bothers me. Zelda getting delayed to launch simultaneously on Wii U and NX is a good move. NX launching March 2017 instead of Holiday 2016 is a decision I can't judge until that day comes. The IPs chosen for mobile apps/games don't matter, what matters is the games themselves. Most top mobile games are new IPs anyway. NX not being at E3 sucks, but as long as their E3 is good that's all that matters. NX will be revealed at some big event in 2016 so I'll wait til then.

I'd be fine with all of these to be honest. The NX Skipping E3? That is some dumb shizz.

AzaK

they could have had some decent momentum going from wii u to nx with a november 2016 launch

instead, wii u for the second half of 2016 is doing to be dry as FUCK and once again nintendo leads into their new console with zero momentum. i can't even imagine how low the holiday sales will be for wii u this year.

this is so insane.

I guess they see the Wii U as fucked anyway and they know that no matter what shit they pull on their consumers, they will still bend over and take whatever Nintendo gives them.

Terrell

From a personal perspective, it's whatever because four months is a short period of time all things considered. But there's no way to spin that as being a good decision business-wise. Missing a holiday cycle for a console launch hasn't happened for a major manufacturer in two decades, and there's a reason for it.

To be factually accurate, a decade and a half. PS2 launched in March 2000 in Japan, missing the New Year sales rush of 1999, and was pushed to October 2000 for North America.

This is without mentioning that this generation saw a staggered launch of PS4 that pushed its release past the holiday period in that region, as well.

To do it globally? Yeah, that hasn't been heard of since... well, ever?

this is so insane.

Can't rush it like last time.

ChaosXVI

Trev's leak was spot on about literally everything except for this. Delaying to March must've been a very recent decision and I'm extremely curious to know what could be a big enough concern to cause such a massive shift in strategy so quickly.

EhoaVash

They're going to launch their amiibo centric Nintendo Disney infinity game this holiday...made by retro surprise surprise

stilgar

I love the received wisdom that you absolutely have to launch a new console for the holidays.

Yet, the same people will say it's also a huge mistake to launch a console before it's ready.

Because I'm sure the NX could be ready for Holiday 2016, and Nintendo is holding it back because they just fucking feel like it.

Let's put it another way, without being armchair analysts :

It's a fucking delay and it fucking sucks, especially when the the fucking WiiU doesn't have a damn game coming for the whole goddamn rest of the year.

Anth0ny

they did not rush the wii u out nor would they be rushing the nx out

they didn't announce didley shit for 3ds or wii u at last years e3. their big first party teams have to be working on SOMETHING.

missing the holiday is just hurting them, less so the consumer (we're just a bunch of impatient fanboys). there's a reason why so many major consumer products are released in september to november...

Delayed? Was it ever confirmed for 2016? Or was that more assumptions?

As for E3, I can see there being disappointment there, but if the NX is coming out next March we will definitely have an unveiling of some sort this year, probably in the fall. So it's not like it's going to be that much longer than E3. And E3 is nine months before the release, which honestly is a bit too early.

Yeah, Zelda was confirmed for 2016 the last time they showed it.

And I call bullshit on the idea that nine months is too early. PS4 had its reveal nine months prior to launch and it's doing just fine and has been from the jump.

Memory

This.
This makes no sense at all.

It makes plenty of sense, they either

A: believe E3 is past its time and won't affect anything
B: Are not aiming for hardcore gamers
C: Are going to hold their own massive events
D: They don't want NX to be thought of as a console because its cross tech (Phone etc)
E: Don't want to be over shadowed by rivials at E3 again

Or any combination of the above, considering how Nintendo have been completely shat on for the last decade at E3 its easy to see why it may not be worth the trouble.

A press event at their own show will get more press than E3 if E3 2014 is anything to go by, they had the best show but the press hardly even mentioned them or treehouse coverage.

Sagittal

Banned
In short, Yes. You should buy a console based on the tangible, released software or that which has a confirmed (By the developer/publisher) release date.

If this is your first time getting burned, then let it be a lesson to you.

I'm sure there are people who bought a PS3 for "The Last Guardian" too.

So people should buy Nintendo consoles when they are sure it is successful enough to release their biggest announced titles on? They are sitting on Zelda, holding it captive to give their next console a boost. The Last Guardian is a completely different situation, they could release Zelda at any point but refuse to due to deservedly poor wii u sales.

Colby

My guess is their "radical" new design/plan is simply not coming to fruition as quickly as they want, and they were forced to push the NX launch into 2017. This could be in regards to NX launch games, third party support, the new gimmick not working properly yet, not being able to produce enough consoles to satisfy a 2016 release, or anything -- launching a new console is a huge undertaking, and it only takes one issue to stall the whole process. If we can all see how disastrous this holiday season will be for Nintendo, the company and its pocketbook are certainly aware of it. It can't be a 100% choice on their part to skip the holidays.

I also think the e3 news is disappointing, but might not be a big deal in the end; if a Nintendo Direct hits a month after e3 with an NX blowout, would you really be that shocked?

MoonFrog

If it's not ready, who is that on? Nintendo. It's their business to be ready when they should be.

AdanVC

Trev's leak was spot on about literally everything except for this. Delaying to March must've been a very recent decision and I'm extremely curious to know what could be a big enough concern to cause such a massive shift in strategy so quickly.

Perhaps they were afraid to pull another Wii U launch again? Meaning, releasing the console and then going through 6 months of game droughts that even the CEO has to apologize for the lack of games. If that's the case then let's hope that releasing the system in March means they will have a strong launch lineup to follow through 2017.

From a personal perspective, it's whatever because four months is a short period of time all things considered. But there's no way to spin that as being a good decision business-wise. Missing a holiday cycle for a console launch hasn't happened for a major manufacturer in two decades, and there's a reason for it.

There could be a number of reasons they're holding out for a couple of months. The main thing could be that there's just too much shit coming out. Sony has seemingly got the end of the year covered.

Maybe this thing just wasn't ready. They could have rushed it with another bad launch, or take their time with it. They're missing Holiday 2016, but come Holiday 2017 they'll have a good line up of games and bundles to sell. Then there's also the Summer months when folks have a more free time.

Launching in the spring has worked for their handhelds. I'm excited to see how this goes.

Even if the reasoning is that it isn't ready, that still reflects badly on Nintendo that their internal planning and development couldn't get the console ready in time for a holiday launch.

It's not as if the idea that a console should be launched in the holiday season is some internet myth. Every console since the Saturn has launched in the September-November timeframe in NA, and there's a reason for that.

Vertti

People are overestimating E3 significance. Yeah this is NeoGAF where it's the biggest thing in the world but your average joe don't care. In a era of internet and fast spread of information you can have your own show like Nintendo Direct which gets the same coverage from all the biggest gaming sites.

Nintendo decided that they don't wanna play with the rules. They do this their own way. Maybe it fails maybe it's a success. Who knows. I don't so I just have to wait.

This year will be pretty bad but it's not the first time in Nintendo's history. 2012 was another pretty bad year even though we got new console back then. But didn't change a thing because the games weren't there. We had to wait like 8 months before finally Pikmin 3 came out being the first notable good game.

So I'm completely fine with NX and Zelda launching in 2017. But only IF this means that this time we'll get a good first year lineup. Otherwise I don't understand why they would skip the holiday season. They need to have a good launch or they will lose.

GamerJM

Banned
I agree that the Wii U wasn't really rushed. At best a delay would have just allowed it a stronger launch lineup. The reason it didn't do well has to do with flaws that exist at the core design of the console.

That being said, I think delaying a console if it needs to be delayed is a good decision. This is very important, Nintendo needs to not rush it. It's more the "not being shown at E3," part that has me worried. Either there are issues with the console's development (maybe just something minor like latency issues that means that they can't show it off, but still), or Nintendo is definitely adopting a "keep your fans in the dark about most of your upcoming releases," strategy when it comes to showing off their game and consoles.

Let's put it another way, without being armchair analysts :

It's a fucking delay and it fucking sucks, especially when the the fucking WiiU doesn't have a damn game coming for the whole goddamn rest of the year.

Come on man, no need to be hyperbolic! The Wii U has like 3 games coming for the rest of the year. Get excite!

This is what I find most intriguing about it all.

So people should buy Nintendo consoles when they are sure it is successful enough to release their biggest announced titles on? They are sitting on Zelda, holding it captive to give their next console a boost. The Last Guardian is a completely different situation, they could release Zelda at any point but refuse to due to deservedly poor wii u sales.

Erm... yes. If you want to play a game that isn't out yet and you buy the console prior to it's release then you are taking a gamble and have no ground to stand on to complain if that game gets delayed/cancelled. Why is that hard to understand?

You (as a consumer) should only buy a console if there are games on it that you want to play right now. You lose literally nothing by waiting. If anything, you make gains due to price drops or bundles appearing.

Top Bottom