• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

doop_

Banned
Idk I trust 10k at least 80 %. If he is wrong... at the end of the day he didn't harm anyone, after all it is just videogames.

I'm also wondering just how optimistic their forecast for the next FY will be. Iwata repeatedly promised, from January 2014 until his death, that it'd be a return to "Nintendo-like profits," but Kimishima has noticeably backed away from that.

Thraktor

I thought that it was just two 32-bit CPUs.

No, the VR4300 in the N64 was a "true" 64 bit CPU, in that it implemented (afaik) the full 64 bit MIPS III ISA. You're thinking of the Atari Jaguar, which advertised itself as a 64 bit system, but used two 32 bit processors.

What games do you know of that used it to its full 64-bit potential?

None. The problem is that the "full 64 bit potential" is of very little use in a videogame console. Little to no game code benefits from the increase in precision over 32 bit, and 32 bit code will achieve substantially higher performance, so any sane developer would use 32 bit variables almost exclusively. Even twenty years later, you'll find very little use of the 64 bit scalar capabilities of the PS4 or XBO CPUs.

Neoxon

I'm also wondering just how optimistic their forecast for the next FY will be. Iwata repeatedly promised, from January 2014 until his death, that it'd be a return to "Nintendo-like profits," but Kimishima has noticeably backed away from that.
Maybe Kimishima doesn't have as much confidence in the NX Platform as Iwata did before he died. And since said platform was conceptualized under Iwata, Kimishima likely couldn't make any significant changes.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Kimi still said that NX and mobile will bring them back int he last Q&A.

According to Wikipedia:

No, the VR4300 in the N64 was a "true" 64 bit CPU, in that it implemented (afaik) the full 64 bit MIPS III ISA. You're thinking of the Atari Jaguar, which advertised itself as a 64 bit system, but used two 32 bit processors.

Ah, okay. I thought it applied to both of them.

Oddduck

So is Monster Games working on a racing game? "Build out the Career and Championship modes UI"

Coming from someone's Linkedin profile:

Monster%20Games.jpg

Originally posted on Vandal.

Schnozberry

Monster is in Northfield, MN? random

Back when I lived in the Twin Cities I would get down there occasionally. Their offices are easy to miss, right in the middle of an office park. Weird thing is I would generally go through Northfield during business hours to visit a few customers for work, and I would never see anybody there. Either they keep odd hours or a lot of people work from home.

Kimi still said that NX and mobile will bring them back int he last Q&A.

Not quite.

Q3:

With regards to the financial performance, I believe you said that the fiscal year ending in March 2016 has been about balancing revenue and expenses, while the next fiscal year (ending in March 2017) will be a step towards aiming for Nintendo-like profits. Have these priorities changed at all? It seems like a lot of new endeavors, such as smart device business and amiibo sales, will need to go smoothly in order to realize Nintendo-like profits. If you had to provide one example of an area where you can be sure to achieve Nintendo-like profits, what would that be?

Kimishima:

The previous and current fiscal years have been a period of preparation to launch a number of new endeavors, such as NX development, development for smart devices and business using our character IP, in addition to driving our Wii U and Nintendo 3DS businesses. At the same time, it has been our priority to take a close look at areas of our existing business where the revenue and expenses had become unbalanced, and to make sure that we corrected this balance. As I have said before, we will be launching many of our new business activities as we move from this fiscal year into the next.

When you start any new business, it is important to make the public aware of what you will be doing. In the next fiscal year, we will have to make preparations and investments to achieve these goals, and that comes with certain costs.

The question was to pick one area with which we will be able to achieve Nintendo-like profits, but I would like to suggest two areas. One area is our NX business, and another is our business for smart devices. I believe that keeping these two endeavors on track will be key to achieving Nintendo-like profits. I don't have any further details to share about the next fiscal year at this time, but we will explain about our plan and when we will aim to achieve Nintendo-like profits at a future date.

So he hasn't explicitly disavowed the previous promise of Nintendo-like profits next (well, this) FY, but he's now only promising a return to those levels at a yet-undefined future date.

-Horizon-

Haven't played any of the Excite games before (other than the original excite bike) and looking them up on youtube. It'd be pretty cool to see on stronger hardware.

Meesh

Haven't played any of the Excite games before (other than the original excite bike) and looking them up on youtube. It'd be pretty cool to see on stronger hardware.
Excite trucks was pretty amusing for awhile, Exite bots was where it's at though, just feel good little games imo.

Vena

Just of note, Jim's Jimquisition (specifically Laura) briefly humors the idea of the NX having been a contributing factor to the appearance of the PS4K (and potential X1.5). I only highlight this because, previously, Laura mentioned knowing and hearing some stuff on the NX that she was keeping close to the chest.

Its probably nothing, though, but it does fit in with the various other rumors of the NX being above the OGs of this gen.

Meesh

Just of note, Jim's Jimquisition (specifically Laura) briefly humors the idea of the NX having been a contributing factor to the appearance of the PS4K (and potential X1.5). I only highlight this because, previously, Laura mentioned knowing and hearing some stuff on the NX that she was keeping close to the chest.

Its probably nothing, though, but it does fit in with the various other rumors of the NX being above the OGs of this gen.
See, now I'm getting all hot and NX bothered. You're stirring my NX soul pot with posts like that... And I like it.

This is what I'm thinking, seems like Sony wants to keep having the strongest console, but they don't want to release the PS5 since it's too early for that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So is Monster Games working on a racing game? "Build out the Career and Championship modes UI"

Coming from someone's Linkedin profile:

Monster%20Games.jpg

Originally posted on Vandal.

I just went to the link, and the second line about "Career and Championship Modes UI" is NOT on that page.

This is what I'm thinking, seems like Sony wants to keep having the strongest console, but they don't want to release the PS5 since it's too early for that.

I have an incredibly hard time believing that Sony sees NX as nearly enough of a threat to respond in that fashion.

and they're most likely right

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes some big news! Ok what games have a career and championship mode?!

F-Zero. F-ZERO. What if they got the reins to the F-Zero franchise???? Hnnnnggg.

Also, maybe Wave Race.

TLZ

Banned

Yea. That's what I felt all along. I hope it's true because then it would mean Sony knows it's a force to reckon with.

Plinko

I guess the person deleted it,

It was there an hour ago.

Interesting--are you 100% sure? I saw your edit. If it is true, then he deleted it because it gave too much away :)

-Horizon-

Excite trucks was pretty amusing for awhile, Exite bots was where it's at though, just feel good little games imo.
Listening to some music too, this is good stuff :eek:

giphy.gif

These next few weeks leading up to E3 should be interesting

Oddduck

Interesting--are you 100% sure? I saw your edit. If it is true, then he deleted it because it gave too much away :)

I took the picture myself when I found his linkedin page.

The picture that I posted isn't from Vandal.

He definitely deleted that line.

Plinko

I'm guessing it's Excite.

I'm guessing it isn't. Excitebots tanked in sales. My guess is it's Wave Race or F-Zero.

I took the picture myself when I found his linkedin page.

The picture that I posted isn't from Vandal.

He definitely deleted that line.

Excellent. EXCELLENT.

I'm guessing it isn't. Excitebots tanked in sales. My guess is it's Wave Race or F-Zero.

Excitebots didn't tank, it was deliberately sent to die, most likely so as to not compete with mkwii, i'm amazed they even bothered releasing it at all but I'm guessing they'd probably already printed up all the boxes or something

Excitebots didn't tank, it was deliberately sent to die, most likely so as to not compete with mkwii, i'm amazed they even bothered releasing it at all but I'm guessing they'd probably already printed up all the boxes or something

Mario Kart Wii launched a year earlier. I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Do you have a link to the video, I would love to listen.

I have an incredibly hard time believing that Sony sees NX as nearly enough of a threat to respond in that fashion.

and they're most likely right

Success can shift with every new product/generation, like the past has shown. It would be arrogant and stupid to not consider that. Both Sony and Nintendo(and Microsoft too really) have been arrogant and stupid at times, so I'm curious how this all will play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom