• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

I hope they announce their next mobile game, or at least tell us what franchise it is. I remember those ¨news¨ about their next mobile game being from a big franchise..

this may happen since they want to release 4 more titles until the end of march 2017

Jaagen

I imagine the NX version will have self-shadowing for each individual blade of grass 😵

I just hope that the NX version gets longer draw distances, as well as higher resolution shadows and effects. It would go a long way in improving visual fidelity.

I just hope that the NX version gets longer draw distances, as well as higher resolution shadows and effects. It would go a long way in improving visual fidelity.

That, and the LOD at far distances needs to be higher quality. There is no reason that the NX version should have cardboard cutout trees on the horizon.

Rodin

Loved many things in Skyward Sword, as well. But they have yet to show us how they will tackle an open world design. And I think they can't get it right the first time. But we'll see.
They did. 30 years ago.

Also, avatar quote.

This post is absolutely disgusting
And this is a good one, right?

TP is still largely deemed mediocre. We even got a HD version no one really cared about! The difference in love between TP and WW is staggering.

SS leans more towards TP. it's not as beloved as the first three 3D Zeldas, and no amount of time passing will change that.

I really hope Zelda U takes more lessons from LBW than TP or SS.
TP is considered underwhelming (not mediocre) by a tiny, vocal fraction of the internet, which hardly counts as "largely deemed" considering how many people bought it.

... TP is less loved than WW and SALES show that? Did you send an email to yourself while your microwave was on or you just missed the march NDA?

Not enough for me to buy it over the Wii U version :p

Now, have it run at 1080p/60fps with high quality SSAA with the aforementioned shading/lighting/LOD improvements and I'll be down for the NX version DAY 1!

That would be the bare minimum, sure.
Well, if you forget about SSAA everything else can happen :p

Lighting is already fantastic though.

maxcriden

I still wish that Emily had clarified whether she was debunking everything he said about power or just the Polaris and close to NEO stuff. It would kinda suck if she was debunking it being more powerful than PS4 as well.

In CPU alone, at least, I have to think the Intel we have from LCGeek is some of the most reliable we've seen, given his track record.

Caramello

TP is still largely deemed mediocre. We even got a HD version no one really cared about! The difference in love between TP and WW is staggering.

SS leans more towards TP. it's not as beloved as the first three 3D Zeldas, and no amount of time passing will change that.

I really hope Zelda U takes more lessons from LBW than TP or SS.

Ummm... Twilight Princess is the best selling game in the series and the HD Wii U version was the 3rd best selling game in the US last month.

maxcriden

It was basically just the Monster games thing.

Oh, gotcha, thank you. ☺

You say 'the' NX but won't they need to reveal two pieces of hardware :p In my head I see myself buying a game console this Winter, but if the handheld is released the same day, I probably won't resist, and I'd get both.

Nothing's leaked about the HH yet, so you're probably in the clear for this year for Bette ror for worse. Unless the Nintenjas are even more skilled than we realized, which is entirely possible.

Oh boy, now that would just be encouraging the folks at DK Vine, the same people who seem to think that Star Fox (Adventures, Assault and Command at least) is apart of the Donkey Kong canon because of Tricky lol.

I never considered that. Where was Tricky in DKR?

Maybe even 3 pieces of hardware? I could totally see them doing an "NX mini" that's lower power and cheap ($100-$200) to run portable-level NX games and use as a media center. They could target this to the casual crowd that mostly just wants to watch Netflix and play Wii sports or whatever.

I think we could see something like this, but....

That will probably happen later, but announcing so many different versions at once is not a good idea.

As Zalman says, it seems unlikely to announce then all at once. Perhaps they'll just say future form factors will come in other...forms. Or even just hint at it or not mention it at all but reveal the systems in a way wherein we could reasonably see such a thing happening, so as not to muddy the waters of the initial announcement. Something like that could be cool as a device, though.

Five 1st party ports at launch? lool like Nintendo is going to give themselves a long ass drought.

I could definitely see 5 ports or even more, if you include 3rd party. I don't think Pikmin at launch is gonna happen, even if its "almost done." Just too many 1st party "AAA" games. I could def see smash and zelda at launch.

I don't think they were saying 5 Wii U ports at launch, but rather 5 launch games total including Wii U ports, unless I misunderstood.

So this meeting is Tuesday night on the west coast for the states right?

The fiscal results and likely press conference will be Wednesday afternoon in JP, let's say 3-5 PM, somewhere in there, which is 2-4 AM EST Tuesday night (technically Wednesday), or 11 PM-1 AM PST. The investor briefing is probably 10 AM Thursday morning in JP, which is 9 PM EST/6 PM PST Wednesday night in the US. It's unknown how much if any NX info we will get at any of these events.

Aldric

On Neogaf maybe, but l don't see how you can seriously claim "no one really cared" about the HD remake when it was 3rd in the last NPD sales ranking. lt's probably why it tends to be maligned online, actually: since it's one of the most commercially successful entries in the franchise you come off as a more unique individual with refined tastes if you talk shit about it and support a slightly more obscure game instead.

The fiscal results and likely press conference will be Wednesday afternoon in JP, let's say 3-5 PM, somewhere in there, which is 2-4 AM EST Tuesday night (technically Wednesday), or 11 PM-1 AM PST. The investor briefing is probably 10 AM Thursday morning in JP, which is 9 PM EST/6 PM PST Wednesday night in the US. It's unknown how much if any NX info we will get at any of these events.

And I'm gonna say that I'm 100% sure that if people actually checked based on the past events in the IR calendar:
- May 7, 2014: Fiscal Year Earnings Release
- May 8, 2014: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing
- May 7, 2015: Fiscal Year Earnings Release
- May 8, 2015: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing

So prediction is that the date you're looking for:
- Apr. 27, 2016: Fiscal Year Earnings Release [Scheduled]
- Apr. 28, 2016: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing

hesido

Same.

tumblr_inline_nomo5l0ksR1t0n67w_500.gif

*excited

sorry for the necroquote.

EhoaVash

Lol investor meeting will be about investors grilling Nintendo on why miitomo hasn't made $$$$ as other smartphone games. And nothing nx related

maxcriden

I really don't think they will announce anything on Wednesday. Do the shareholders really need to ask them about NX for them to say anything?

Nah, I'm pretty sure they need to address it regardless at the least in some vague fashion if it plays into their forecas tfor the current FY.

Including ports.
Launch Day : Smash 4, Splatoon and Mario Maker probably bundled plus 3D Mario and Zelda. Plus good 3rd party support from Japanese publishers ( monster hunter FFXV ect ) and hopefully full support from EA ( Star Wars, FIFA, Madden, UFC)

Launch window. Whatever retro is working on, pimkin 4 and a few others

At this point I'm skeptical we get.Mario and Zelda this year. I'm concerned they won't want to release the two for the same system so near to one another. I hope I'm wrong, though. Can't wait to see what those geniuses at EPD Tokyo have cooked up this time!

And I'm gonna say that I'm 100% sure that if people actually checked based on the past events in the IR calendar:
- May 7, 2014: Fiscal Year Earnings Release
- May 8, 2014: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing
- May 7, 2015: Fiscal Year Earnings Release
- May 8, 2015: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing

So prediction is that the date you're looking for:
- Apr. 27, 2016: Fiscal Year Earnings Release [Scheduled]
- Apr. 28, 2016: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing

Isn't this in line with what I wrote? To clarify, I was trying to say Nintendo will do the earnings result alongside a small press conference as they have, and then the results briefing the next morning. The small press conference and full results briefing being two different things.

Lol investor meeting will be about investors grilling Nintendo on why miitomo hasn't made $$$$ as other smartphone games. And nothing nx related

If the NX is indeed releasing in this FY they NEED to talk about it to some extent in this briefing. They cannot stay silent at all. They have to talk about what they're going to do this year.

Isn't this in line with what I wrote? To clarify, I was trying to say Nintendo will do the earnings result alongside a small press conference as they have, and then the results briefing the next morning. The small press conference and full results briefing being two different things.

I didn't really understand that well. I doubt the press conference will have anything to talk about though.

MuchoMalo

Banned
In CPU alone, at least, I have to think the Intel we have from LCGeek is some of the most reliable we've seen, given his track record.

Heh. Anyway, they'd have to intentionally try to have a slower CPU than PS4, so that doesn't say much other than that the CPU is probably newer than Jaguar.

2017: Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing

Kimishima: "Dear investors, for those wondering why we had to use a truckload of budget without telling you, it was apparently used for production and marketing of our new system, still named NX. But i guess you should know that by now."

Since NX will likely eat it's way in their 2017 fiscal year budget, they really, really should say something about NX, or you have some pitchfork & torch-like investors at you.

If the NX is indeed releasing in this FY they NEED to talk about it to some extent in this briefing. They cannot stay silent at all. They have to talk about what they're going to do this year.

I didn't really understand that well. I doubt the press conference will have anything to talk about though.

"More at E3, bye."

"More at E3, bye."

No they have to be a bit more specific. We won't see anything groundbreaking but Nintendo definitely wants investors to invest. Wii U didn't work out too well, they have to explain what they did to NX to solve those problems, without saying what is NX in particular (since they won't yet).

I'm not saying we will see the name of the console or the gimmick, but what is guarenteed is the announcement date.

EDIT: And if they don't say more in the presentation, investors will ask themselves in the Q&A session there should be.

Rodin

Heh. Anyway, they'd have to intentionally try to have a slower CPU than PS4, so that doesn't say much other than that the CPU is probably newer than Jaguar.

Doesn't take that much actually. If they don't need that kind of CPU power because RAM and GPU are largely inferior to the current gen machines (like, 4GB RAM and 500gflops GPU), they could simply use one cluster of Jaguar/Puma (4 cores) instead of two like in the PS4.

MuchoMalo

Banned
"More at E3, bye."

That's all that anyone's expecting: a reveal date and maybe a name. I'm still on Team May for the reveal though.

Doesn't take that much actually. If they don't need that kind of CPU power because RAM and GPU are largely inferior to the current gen machines (like, 4GB RAM and 500gflops GPU), they could simply use one cluster of Jaguar/Puma (4 cores) instead of two like in the PS4.

While true, that's on the extreme end. I'm just saying that all that we can safely say that this point is that it's at least on-par with XBone. It can still be weaker than PS4 or even slightly weaker than XBone.

What I'm still curious about that there is officially no Results Briefing scheduled, there is no one talking about it and there is no venue confirmed.

On the official site (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html), the 27th is confirmed for the Fiscal Year Earnigs Release - but there is no mention on any briefing on the 28th yet.

Why is everyone so sure that a meeting is taking place? Maybe Nintendo is just sharing information on the last fiscal year for now and really waiting for E3?

maxcriden

Yeah, sorry to have been unclear. That's what I was trying to say, just difficult to articulate myself when I'm still waking up, haha. But I'm sure you're right that the press conference may not provide much in the way of info.

Rodin

While true, that's on the extreme end. I'm just saying that all that we can safely say that this point is that it's at least on-par with XBone. It can still be weaker than PS4 or even slightly weaker than XBone.

Yup, i agree with that. My low end is still 1tflop GCN 1.2, which should be around Xbox One.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What I'm still curious about that there is officially no Results Briefing scheduled, there is no one talking about it and there is no venue confirmed.

On the official site (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html), the 27th is confirmed for the Fiscal Year Earnigs Release - but there is no mention on any briefing on the 28th yet.

Why is everyone so sure that a meeting is taking place? Maybe Nintendo is just sharing information on the last fiscal year for now and really waiting for E3?

I don't think that they would talk about mobile games at E3, and they can't possibly expect investors to wait for or even watch E3 (when the quarter is almost over). Maybe the meeting's just being announced late. There's just no way they're skipping something as important as a year-end financial briefing. Maybe it'll be announced a day before.

Yup, i agree with that. My low end is still 1tflop GCN 1.2, which should be around Xbox One.

They'd need a custom GCN 1.2 to make it that weak, which goes against the "not intentionally weak" line we've heard before, so I'd call that unlikely.

I hope they have a good bunch of high production value new IP like Splatoon was. Of course they will have the new Zelda, Pikmin 4 and Mario but if the rest is just old stuff I'll be a little dissapointed.

No matter how the game ended up being I LOVED the fact that Knack was the first game revealed for ps4, not Killzone or inFamous. Same with E3 when they showed 1886, shit was hype to have something completely new in the AAA world.

Call me stupid but i'd rather have your Diddy Kong Racings, F Zeros and Metroids not happen for a while longer.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the meeting that David Gibson is able to live tweet?
If you are referring to Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing, I believe live tweeting is prohibited from there. Whether David Gibson will be attending I don't know.

As for live tweets, the news conference is more likely to yield such.

Oersted

I hope they have a good bunch of high production value new IP like Splatoon was. Of course they will have the new Zelda, Pikmin 4 and Mario but if the rest is just old stuff I'll be a little dissapointed.

No matter how the game ended up being I LOVED the fact that Knack was the first game revealed for ps4, not Killzone or inFamous. Same with E3 when they showed 1886, shit was hype to have something completely new in the AAA world.

Call me stupid but i'd rather have your Diddy Kong Racings, F Zeros and Metroids not happen for a while longer.

Splatoon was pretty surely cheap(guaranteed to be cheaper than 1886 and Knack) and runs commercially and critically circles around them.

AGITΩ

Just give me Pokemon Eclipse on NX Console and I'll be satisfied...
will never happen, ill never see a full rpg pokemon console game.
Cant get no satisfaction

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There's still no official confirmation of the meetings date? It's going to be Tuesday in Japan soon.
The IR schedule is yet to be updated with mention of the 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing. It is not uncommon for Nintendo to update it on the date of the earnings release.

Rösti;201829999 said:
The IR schedule is yet to be updated with mention of the 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing. It is not uncommon for Nintendo to update it on the date of the earnings release.

I see. I'll be checking here to see when they update the info with the exact info then lol.

Semajer

AGITΩ;201829081 said:
Just give me Pokemon Eclipse on NX Console and I'll be satisfied...
will never happen, ill never see a full rpg pokemon console game.
Cant get no satisfaction

That would be a fantastic name for a third version.

No idea about the venue, but they usually don't add the briefing date to the public calendar until after the results are out.

And of course there'll be a briefing; they're a publicly traded company and it's the year-end results. They only skip it for Q1, as that isn't tied to any financial milestones (save in 2011, which was an atypical circumstance due to the 3DS price cut).

The last two fiscal years they didn't do their briefing until first week in May and this year it's the last week of April...hmm something smells fishy

MuchoMalo

Banned
The last two fiscal years they didn't do their briefing until first week in May and this year it's the last week of April...hmm something smells fishy

It's most likely just due to Golden Week's timing this year. There's a chance that it's due to a planned conference in the second week of May, but I wouldn't look too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom