• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, it's going to be hilarious when nothing concrete is said about NX this week.

I'm still betting on almost no information before E3.

My expectations are low, but at bare minimum, they have to confirm whether or not NX is launching this FY. That's something, given that there are still folks who don't think it'll launch before Q4 2017.

Maybe they'll announce their second mobile game as well.

JCH!

God, it's going to be hilarious when nothing concrete is said about NX this week.

Yep, I'm also in this camp.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear something before E3 but I think I've learnt my lesson with Nintendo haha

Nintendo announced the Wii name at an Investors Meeting (10 years ago) so it's not out of reality to get some kind of NX name or year of release.

Also, I hope they announce their next mobile game. They said it would be a real game and star a bigger character.

maxcriden

What is this Golden showers week and what does it mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/explore/calendar/april/goldenweek.html

I know you're trying to be funny, but I think that's in pretty poor taste. :/

Nintendo announced the Wii name at an Investors Meeting (10 years ago) so it's not out of reality to get some kind of NX name or year of release.

Additionally, with 3DS and Wii U, I believe around this same time four and five years ago, they announced the title of the system in a press release.

I don't get the reason why Nintendo should announce NX now? Such an announcement would be reflected in the mainstream media and would surely slow down 3DS and Wii U sales.

E3 is soon enough if they want to announce NX.

Interfectum

I don't get the reason why Nintendo should announce NX now? This would get get attention in mainstream media and would surely slow down 3DS and Wii U sales. It would only cost Nintendo money.

They potentially have to go up against two additional system announcements at E3. Announcing a few weeks before gives them a shit ton of Nintendo-only coverage all the way up to the conference.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What is this Golden showers week and what does it mean?

zaU2YDe.gif

Release year confirmation and timing for when the reveal will be are guaranteed to be revealed, even if only implicitly. If they don't give a forecast for it that means that it's not launching before March 2017. Assuming that it launches this year, they may also give a forecast, which can let us speculate on how many devices are launching this year. A name is expected possibly because not having a name announced before E3 is stupid and a sign that NX is in big trouble due to terrible marketing teams.

bachikarn

I don't get the reason why Nintendo should announce NX now? Such an announcement would be reflected in the mainstream media and would surely slow down 3DS and Wii U sales.

They basically have to at least tell the investors if it is launching this financial year as it will significantly impact their profit projections.

thefro

They basically have to at least tell the investors if it is launching this financial year as it will significantly impact their profit projections.

Yes, we're pretty much guaranteed to know that this week.

Could be more stuff, but that's 100% confirmed.

I also expect that we'll know roughly when the NX reveal is about 42 hours from now.

We shouldn't have to wait too long after the Meeting to hear what Nintendo's E3 plans are anyway.
In 2014 they did announce it on April 29. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be announced this Friday. Last year they announced it mid May. With Golden Week next week then I could see them waiting until the following week again to announce their E3 plans.

georly

Let's not forget that financial/fiscal year != calendar year. It could launch early next year if they say it's launching this financial year. 3DS was a february release in JP and march in NA, iirc.

Zoon

Let's not forget that financial/fiscal year != calendar year. It could launch early next year if they say it's launching this financial year. 3DS was a february release in JP and march in NA, iirc.

But we know from Trev's source that Zelda NX is launching this year

bachikarn

yep, that's possible but I highly doubt they will launch something first quarter. They aren't going to miss the holiday shopping season. If something out of their control forces them to miss it, they will delay the entire console launch to the summer at the earliest IMO.

georly

But we know from Trev's source that Zelda NX is launching this year

yep, that's possible but I highly doubt they will launch something first quarter. They aren't going to miss the holiday shopping season. If something out of their control forces them to miss it, they will delay the entire console launch to the summer at the earliest IMO.

Oh I doubt it'll be next year, either (if it IS this financial year), but just don't be toooooooooooo surprised if it is. Also, it could be next year japan, this year US (you can NOT miss holiday sales in the US), if manufacturing prohibits worldwide launch. So it's possible, hearing from the japan side, that it may release next year and that might scare people.

Still expecting NOTHING this week, but i'll be happy if we even get a small nugget.

Oersted

They potentially have to go up against two additional system announcements at E3. Announcing a few weeks before gives them a shit ton of Nintendo-only coverage all the way up to the conference.

Well to be fair, it looks like we know almost everything about the PS4 Upgrade. There is whole lot more secrecy around NX.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still be disappointed as I'd really question how they could not end up over-stuffing their E3. I'd argue that they need a separate event to convey the idea of the console, then they can save all the software stuff for their E3 conference/direct

Interfectum

Well to be fair, it looks like we know almost everything about the PS4 Upgrade. There is whole lot more secrecy around NX.

True but PS4k's coming out party at E3 is going to get a lot of press. And there's probably surprises about the system we don't know about yet as well as videos of it in action.

MuchoMalo

Banned

It's riskier to launch an expensive console aimed at the mass market outside the holiday season than a handheld, especially one that's following a huge commercial flop. They could still do it I guess, but I doubt it. I see it happening for PS4k since the people who want that are enthusiasts and enthusiasts just buy products whenever, and I can see it happening with a handheld since that has more of an appeal to a younger audience than a console and might actually do better launching earlier in the year to build up a more varied line up in time for the holiday season as well as making sure that kids have time to see it and find out what it is. For a Nintendo console though, it needs all the help it can get for a successful launch.

georly

It's riskier to launch an expensive console aimed at the mass market outside the holiday season than a handheld, especially one that's following a huge commercial flop. They could still do it I guess, but I doubt it. I see it happening for PS4k since the people who want that are enthusiasts and enthusiasts just buy products whenever, and I can see it happening with a handheld since that has more of an appeal to a younger audience than a console and might actually do better launching earlier in the year to build up a more varied line up in time for the holiday season as well as making sure that kids have time to see it and find out what it is. For a Nintendo console though, it needs all the help it can get for a successful launch.

Yup, don't deny that. Just posting a friendly reminder JUST IN CASE one of the launches (possibly japan) doesn't fall within this year.

Schnozberry

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still be disappointed as I'd really question how they could not end up over-stuffing their E3. I'd argue that they need a separate event to convey the idea of the console, then they can save all the software stuff for their E3 conference/direct

I bet their Digital Event for E3 will be 75-90 minutes. That would give them enough time to go through Wii U/3DS Software, a few comedy bits, and then spill the beans on everything NX.

They could do a separate event ahead of E3 that just talks about the hardware itself, but I don't see them spending a lot of time detailing the guts of the system, so I think it would be better to see the system and the games all at once.

Anth0ny

TP is considered underwhelming (not mediocre) by a tiny, vocal fraction of the internet, which hardly counts as "largely deemed" considering how many people bought it.

... TP is less loved than WW and SALES show that? Did you send an email to yourself while your microwave was on or you just missed the march NDA?

And I guess the Star Wars prequels are considered underwhelming by a tiny vocal fraction of the internet? And the Transformers movies too? Cause everyone paid to watch them! So it's just a vocal minority that doesn't like them, right?

How many people bought it doesn't mean shit. It's generally considered an underwhelming Zelda. When you listen to gaming podcasts, do you hear overwhelming praise for TP? LTTP, OOT, MM and WW are the Zelda games most often brought up. How about "Top 100 games of all time" lists? Look at GAF's own top 50 Nintendo games list. Eventually, there's enough evidence out there for form a consensus. I just don't see the love for TP or SS that the first three 3D Zeldas have. I'm not saying you're not allowed to like them. I liked Batman v Superman, but I'm not about to say it wasn't underwhelming or generally considered a terrible movie.

Ummm... Twilight Princess is the best selling game in the series and the HD Wii U version was the 3rd best selling game in the US last month.

On Neogaf maybe, but l don't see how you can seriously claim "no one really cared" about the HD remake when it was 3rd in the last NPD sales ranking. lt's probably why it tends to be maligned online, actually: since it's one of the most commercially successful entries in the franchise you come off as a more unique individual with refined tastes if you talk shit about it and support a slightly more obscure game instead.

First of all, I don't remember bringing up sales anywhere in my post.

TPHD ranking third on the NPD doesn't mean much. Wii U owners are starved for games, and will buy anything with Zelda on it. This March was a very weak month, too. I'd be shocked if it's still in the NPD top 10 next month.

WWHD is sitting at 1.69 million sales as of the end of 2015. With how Wind Waker has been remembered versus how TP is remembered, I'd be shocked if TPHD ends up outselling WWHD in the end.

And the last part of your post is ridiculous. Ocarina of Time is beloved around the world and is one of the best selling games of all time. The same cannot be said for Twilight Princess. Sales don't mean a thing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I bet their Digital Event for E3 will be 75-90 minutes. That would give them enough time to go through Wii U/3DS Software, a few comedy bits, and then spill the beans on everything NX.

They could do a separate event ahead of E3 that just talks about the hardware itself, but I don't see them spending a lot of time detailing the guts of the system, so I think it would be better to see the system and the games all at once.

I still think that barring third-parties from announcing games for that long will be a huge mistake. A lot of people will only see the initial announcement of those games and assume that nothing else will get the game. I think that a short Direct introducing the console and concept ahead of E3 with a first-party game announcement or two (I'd go with Zelda and keep a major exclusive as the star of the E3 show) and a sizzle reel showing off which already announced third-party games are coming to the console is the way to go. Then E3 could be about gameplay demos and showing off the console in action. An appetizer will make people more hungry for the main course.

Rodin

And I guess the Star Wars prequels are considered underwhelming by a tiny vocal fraction of the internet? And the Transformers movies too? Cause everyone paid to watch them! So it's just a vocal minority that doesn't like them, right?

How many people bought it doesn't mean shit. It's generally considered an underwhelming Zelda. When you listen to gaming podcasts, do you hear overwhelming praise for TP? LTTP, OOT, MM and WW are the Zelda games most often brought up. How about "Top 100 games of all time" lists? Look at GAF's own top 50 Nintendo games list. Eventually, there's enough evidence out there for form a consensus. I just don't see the love for TP or SS that the first three 3D Zeldas have. I'm not saying you're not allowed to like them. I liked Batman v Superman, but I'm not about to say it wasn't underwhelming or generally considered a terrible movie.

TPHD ranking third on the NPD doesn't mean much. Wii U owners are starved for games, and will buy anything with Zelda on it. This March was a very weak month, too. I'd be shocked if it's still in the NPD top 10 next month.

WWHD is sitting at 1.69 million sales as of the end of 2015. With how Wind Waker has been remembered versus how TP is remembered, I'd be shocked if TPHD ends up outselling WWHD in the end.

And the last part of your post is ridiculous. Ocarina of Time is beloved around the world and is one of the best selling games of all time. The same cannot be said for Twilight Princess. Sales don't mean a thing.

Can't believe you are talking about underwhelming reception for a game that has 95-96 on metacritic and 9.0-9.2 user score (on A LOT of ratings) just because some people that make podcasts or post on forums (where there's still plenty of other people who loved the game) may say that they didn't like it or expected more. Guess what: some people didn't even like OOT. Some others didn't like The Godfather or Led Zeppelin II. There isn't a single thing that has universal praise in the sense that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that saw/heard/played/bought x thing loved it. In fact, that's not what universal praise means.

That being said i'm done talking about this, both because we're massively off topic and because you even compared this game to the fucking Star Wars prequels to make a point that fits your ridiculously absurd narrative.

georly

As someone who played every zelda near release since the original, I fully agree with you, as do most older audiences.

That said, twilight princess was a TON of people's first zelda game, so there's a nostalgia factor in there that is undeniable. To them, it *IS* zelda.

I love all the zelda games (even the DS ones), but TP and SS are at the bottom of my 3D zelda rankings. Even so, the worst zelda games (compared to other zelda games) are wayy wayy wayyyyyy better than most other games out there.

As far as TP being on NPD last month, I think it also has to do with the fact that there are TONS of zelda fans like myself who will literally buy any game with Link in it.

Schnozberry

I still think that barring third-parties from announcing games for that long will be a huge mistake. A lot of people will only see the initial announcement of those games and assume that nothing else will get the game. I think that a short Direct introducing the console and concept ahead of E3 with a first-party game announcement or two (I'd go with Zelda and keep a major exclusive as the star of the E3 show) and a sizzle reel showing off which already announced third-party games are coming to the console is the way to go. Then E3 could be about gameplay demos and showing off the console in action. An appetizer will make people more hungry for the main course.

I don't think they should bar 3rd parties from talking about their games coming to the system. Having a slow trickle of information leading up to E3 would be a great idea too, but I think they should reserve all bombs for the main show. I have a feeling that this is an experiment for Nintendo. They want to win the E3 news cycle with a torrent of information and games, and try to hold that momentum until they release ~6 months later.

GamerJM

Banned
TP is a masterpiece IMO. It's like OoT but better. it's one of my favorite games ever. That being said it was the first 3D Zelda I fell in love with (went back and played OoT later, still haven't played Majora's and I had played WW before but didn't love it).

SS is good and I lean more towards being a fan of the game than being a hater but there was also just so much wrong with it, IMO. For every brilliant moment like one of the really clever Sandship puzzles there was some tedious ass fetch quest.

It's definitely a vocal minority that doesn't care for Twilight Princess.

The fact that someone compared it to Batman v. Superman in this thread is hilarious to me.

The HD re-release is sitting at an 86 on MC. It may not be universally beloved like some Zelda games but the idea that it's considered an underwhelming entry by the fanbase at large is pretty ridiculous.

Anth0ny

As someone who played every zelda near release since the original, I fully agree with you, as do most older audiences.

That said, twilight princess was a TON of people's first zelda game, so there's a nostalgia factor in there that is undeniable. To them, it *IS* zelda.

I love all the zelda games (even the DS ones), but TP and SS are at the bottom of my 3D zelda rankings. Even so, the worst zelda games (compared to other zelda games) are wayy wayy wayyyyyy better than most other games out there.

As far as TP being on NPD last month, I think it also has to do with the fact that there are TONS of zelda fans like myself who will literally buy any game with Link in it.

georly sees the light

and of course TP and SS are still very good compares to other games. but compared to the insane standard set by OOT, MM and WW? underwhelming.

Can't believe you are talking about underwhelming reception for a game that has 95-96 on metacritic and 9.0-9.2 user score (on A LOT of ratings) just because 4 people that make podcasts and post on forums (where people complain about everything) may say that they don't like the game or expected more. Guess what: some people didn't even like OOT. Some others didn't like The Godfather or Led Zeppelin II. There isn't a single thing that has universal praise, in the sense that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that saw/heard/played/bought x thing loved it.

That being said i'm done talking about this, both because we're massively off topic and because you even compared this game to the fucking Star Wars prequels to make a point that fits your ridiculously absurd narrative.

yeah

but oot, mm and ww has more universal praise than tp and ss

that's my point

and sometimes the critics are wrong. they lose themselves to the hype. look at gta iv. tp certainly qualifies. gerstmann got death threats for that 8.8. looking back, I think 8.8 is VERY fucking generous for twilight princess. and if we're going to bring metacritic scores into this bloodfest, WWHD > TPHD ;)

my narrative is not ridiculous. I've seen that very argument on GAF ("most people like the prequels, it's just a vocal minority that talks shit"). if you really think tp or ss receives more universal praise than the first three zelda games, I really don't know what to tell you. I just don't see it... anywhere.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The fact that someone compared it to Batman v. Superman in this thread is hilarious to me.

The HD re-release is sitting at an 86 on MC. It may not be universally beloved like some Zelda games but the idea that it's considered an underwhelming entry by the fanbase at large is pretty ridiculous.

Terrible overworld, worst artstyle in the series by a mile, and terrible controls in the HD version showed me this was a much worse game than I remembered. Everyone praises the dungeons (which are good), but Skyward Sword does them better.

WW was an absolute masterpiece compared to it.

Back on topic, I want that Monster Games game to be either Wave Race or F-Zero so bad.

Griss

Looking forward to finding out how much longer we'll have to wait... to find out.

But the bolded statement is the whole point. We had come to expect every Zelda game to be near-universally beloved, and considered a 'greatest of all time' contender. The fact that TP didn't meet that ludicrously high standard, is, unfortunately, enough to make it underwhelming in such an incredible series.

The consensus on TP amongst Zelda fans is - Great game, great dungeons, great character in Midna, but not quite one of the all-time best Zeldas and a little derivative. I think that's fair. And back in 2006, considering what was expected of the game (I was legit expecting the greatest game of all time, as were others) - that's underwhelming.

ViiLG.png

Looking forward to finding out how much longer we'll have to wait... to find out.

But the bolded statement is the whole point. We had come to expect every Zelda game to be near-universally beloved, and considered a 'greatest of all time' contender. The fact that TP didn't meet that ludicrously high standard, is, unfortunately, enough to make it underwhelming in such an incredible series.

The consensus on TP amongst Zelda fans is - Great game, great dungeons, great character in Midna, but not one of the all-time best Zeldas and a little derivative. I think that's fair. And back in 2006, considering what was expected of the game (I was legit expecting the greatest game of all time, as were others) - that's underwhelming.

I guess if that's what we're considering underwhelming, then that is indeed fair.

Man, most franchises would kill for that.

yeah

that's my point

But...this isn't really true, like, at all.

That's silly. TP is the closest Zelda to "universally beloved" since OoT which is why about twice as many people played it compared to basically every Zelda game but OoT and the original NES game.

MM, TWW, SS, and every handheld Zelda since OoT has had a much more panned reception.

yeah

that's my point

This is pure delusion.

MM and TWW were both bitterly divisive games, at least as much as SS.

The only way you get to any other conclusion is if you limit the pool of "Zelda fans" to "fans of MM and TWW."

javac

Can we please stop talking about Zelda games and which one is our 'favorite' and which one is the 'best' when arbitrary constrains are applied in order to further said narrative which in the end just becomes a bunch of moving goalposts and bullshit statements being retorted as facts because in the end nobody comes to a conclusion and nobody ever changes their opinions and instead maybe we could look forward to the possibly exciting events that are unfolding in the next 72 hours because believe me, there's a lot to talk about without having to bring up the word Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom