• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, did the coop rules change again. I had a friend who wanted to coop with me. We wanted to play a mission that he beat, but I didn't. I tried joining him via the Tori gate, and he also tried joining me. Either way, we were unable to select the mission because I haven't beaten it. I thought you could coop on any level you've unlocked as long as one of the two coop partners have beaten it? For whatever reason though, we were only able to play missions that both of us have beaten already.

Anyway, is there an optimal setup for amrita farming? I've been able to stay ahead of each region's level requirements by fighting revenants, but now, I'm not really getting any equipment that significantly better than what I have. I'm around lvl 70 and now in the fourth region.

Like Pandora said, both of you have to have beaten it to do Torii gate co-op. BUT, if you use a password and place an Ochoko cup at a shrine, then he can join you by highlighting the mission on the map, and pressing square to "Become a visitor"; he'll match with you as long as you both have the same password set.

Umi Bozu is EASILY the worst designed boss in the game. You stand and fight the assfucker close to a ledge where suddenly your character can decide to to a plunge attack from into the water. It is fucked up retarded. Hate everything about that encounter and his open up and oneshot attack as well. Fuck that boss and fuck him more in NG+.

Anyway 1 more trophy (blacksmith) for platinum. Cleared my last twilight mission.

hughesta

Banned
wow the last (?) two sidemissions are the hardest thing I've ever attempted in a game, and I breezed through most of the game.

35 hours and level 120, I think I'm done. Incredible game.

myco666

Umi Bozu is EASILY the worst designed boss in the game. You stand and fight the assfucker close to a ledge where suddenly your character can decide to to a plunge attack from into the water. It is fucked up retarded. Hate everything about that encounter and his open up and oneshot attack as well. Fuck that boss and fuck him more in NG+.

Anyway 1 more trophy (blacksmith) for platinum. Cleared my last twilight mission.

Nah. The one in 5th region is worse. You know what I am talking about. Also don't hold foward if you don't want to drop into water.

Pompadour

Am I the only person who didn't fight him up close? I assume the idea was to dodge his tentacles and attack the glowing yellow weak points on them. I only ran in after his one shot beam.

Am I the only person who didn't fight him up close? I assume the idea was to dodge his tentacles and attack the glowing yellow weak points on them. I only ran in after his one shot beam.

I fought him up close but I never once dropped into the water. The game literally will not let William attack off ledges as long as you don't also hold forward on the analog stick, even with attacks that normally move you forward a lot.

You can combo as much as you want at a ledge and never fall off, and not just in this fight.

jeffram

Just a general tip, your attack animations will never put you over an edge. Don't hold up on the left stick, and you should be fine.

Hystzen

I thought you could only attack tentacles first time fought him i didnt even think you could hit his body. It took ageeeesss fighting him just get him to his second phase

Twookie

I think I fell off the platform 2 times before I found out I shouldn't move forward while attacking

I think Umi's fine tbh, reminds me of a wow raid boss though

IvorB

I didn't go and hit him at the edge. I fell in once and didn't do it again. I just waited at middle distance to hit the tentacles or punish after the laser. It's not the most fun tactic but it works really well.

knitoe

I did that the first time, but on the 2nd time, I notice with a fire weapon you can damage his watery body. Then, he become super easy. Although, most of the time doing random co-op, it's for boss. Also, if you attack him up close, his tentacles goes over you and totally misses. As for his OHK beam, easily avoidable. Long windup time. Up close, just move to either side and you are right there for reprisal.

Anyway, finally, plat. Other than long range weapons, everything divine +10. Think, it's time to move on. I would random co-op more, but it doesn't make much sense. Being lvl 245, I still often end up being matched with someone in NG.

myco666

Nah that boss is super easy since you can just charge living weapon all the time.

It isn't fun though due to wonky hitboxes and camera issues. I also think UB is much easier as long as you have the three torches lit.

Did this too. Being straight up on its face seemed not worth it.

I didn't go and hit him at the edge. I fell in once and didn't do it again. I just waited at middle distance to hit the tentacles or punish after the laser. It's not the most fun tactic but it works really well.

Ah ok i just try my wailing at him at low stance with fire on weapon so that is stacked on him all the time.. :p

Maybe the worst tactic to use then ;D Anyway downed him after some frutrating tries.

Deku Tree

You can't fall in by just doing an attack near the edge. You only fall in if you get hit, or if you run toward one of the cracks in the dock. You will never fall in mid attack animation if you don't get hit. I always wait to attack Umi until right after one of its attacks. I never have a problem with phase 1 up close.

A protagonist or playable character does not always have to be the center of events. A good example of this is the most recent Mad Max movie Fury Road where I feel that Mad Max is just a vehicle for the viewer to witness the events of the story while it is really about Furiosa and her tale.
Road warrior is a better example, but yeah

Maledict

REading this its quite clear I didn't understand Umi Bozo at all. I didn't realise you could damage the tentacles after he hit the ground, and figured I had to use fire talismans and then the bonfires to set fire to my weapon and damage him.

(First time I combined the damage debuff, an elemental ability and power pill to chunk him down to the second phase after just two jumps).

How can you reliably get two elemental debuffs on your weapon so you can get the discord state? If I use an elemental buff on a weapon it overwrites any buff already on the weapon?

You can't fall in by just doing an attack near the edge. You only fall in if you get hit, or if you run toward one of the cracks in the dock. You will never fall in mid attack animation if you don't get hit. I always wait to attack Umi until right after one of its attacks. I never have a problem with phase 1 up close.
You can, actually. It's rare but sometimes your attack will track a part of him that's under water. I think it's a glitch but it happens.

How can you reliably get two elemental debuffs on your weapon so you can get the discord state? If I use an elemental buff on a weapon it overwrites any buff already on the weapon?

Just put the first debuff on the enemy and then switch elements and put the second debuff on them.

Or do what I do and use guardian spirit talismans (or Moment Talismans) to put your guardian spirit's element debuff on the enemy and then put your weapon's element debuff on them.

I use Kato (fire) and my dual katana are water.

Pompadour

REading this its quite clear I didn't understand Umi Bozo at all. I didn't realise you could damage the tentacles after he hit the ground, and figured I had to use fire talismans and then the bonfires to set fire to my weapon and damage him.

(First time I combined the damage debuff, an elemental ability and power pill to chunk him down to the second phase after just two jumps).

You don't get them on the same weapon necessarily, you just need to apply both to a single enemy. If you have a fire katana, each hit builds up the enemy's "on fire" state until it triggers and they begin taking fire damage that ticks away like poison. Do the same with another element and that element's state will apply eventually. Have them overlap for discord.

The elements work like stun bars in fighting games. A wind weapon will build the wind state meter but it won't go in effect (ie won't dizzy an opponent in Street Fighter) until it's full.

Deku Tree

You can, actually. It's rare but sometimes your attack will track a part of him that's under water. I think it's a glitch but it happens.

I haven't seen that happen.

Every time I have fallen off it was because I was near the broken part of the dock, or because I got hit by him mid animation at the edge of the dock.

I can do a hold triangle Axe spin move right near an edge and push toward the edge with my stick and not fall off the edge during the full spin move animation and not fall off as long as I don't get hit. That happens even though I would run right over the edge if I was not in the middle of a combat animation.

For some reason the game prevents you from going over edges during combat animations.

knitoe

I have fallen in a few times. If you look carefully, you can see his watery body goes over the dock edge and blocks you from falling off. If it doesn't, there's room for you walk and fall into the water.

I have fallen in a few times. If you look carefully, you can see his watery body goes over the dock edge and blocks you from falling off. If it doesn't, there's room for you walk and fall into the water.

That's why we're saying you shouldn't touch the left analog stick if you're near the edge and attacking. The game LITERALLY will not let your attack motions carry you over a ledge whether the boss's body is there or not. You can only fall off if you walk off with the left stick.

Or dodge off.

Haunted

I like the story and didn't find it particularly difficult to follow.

Ieyasu and Nobunaga aren't unknown names to me however, as I've played enough games about the betrayal at Honnoji or the battle of Sekigahara. Japanese are absolutely enamoured with that portion of their history. :)

Maledict

That's why we're saying you shouldn't touch the left analog stick if you're near the edge and attacking. The game LITERALLY will not let your attack motions carry you over a ledge whether the boss's body is there or not. You can only fall off if you walk off with the left stick.

Or dodge off.

I'm afraid this definitely isn't true. I think it might be something to do with his hitbox and how it works, but I absolutely fell off the ledge whilst not having my fingers anywhere near the left joypad. Possibly the the way the game tracks a monsters hitbox and the way his body shifts slightly around the hole affects it?

I like the story and didn't find it particularly difficult to follow.

Ieyasu and Nobunaga aren't unknown names to me however, as I've played enough games about the betrayal at Honnoji or the battle of Sekigahara. Japanese are absolutely enamoured with that portion of their history. :)
For a number of countries war and tumultuous periods for a country are always the most fascinating. Look at China with the Three Kingdoms era which is similar to the Warring States period that this game focuses on. They are also great for basing games around.

Ogawa-san

I'm afraid this definitely isn't true. I think it might be something to do with his hitbox and how it works, but I absolutely fell off the ledge whilst not having my fingers anywhere near the left joypad. Possibly the the way the game tracks a monsters hitbox and the way his body shifts slightly around the hole affects it?
It's not possible to fall off. Go to any ledge and attack at will, you'll see.

Attacks that take you off the ground can though, like most combo finishers. Sword's low stance up + X for example.

I use Morning Moon against Umi-Bozu while both tentacles are down and/or as laser punishment every time and even that doesn't put me over the edge. I honestly didn't know you can even fall into the water when attacking right into its body at all.

Maledict

Attacks that take you off the ground can though, like most combo finishers. Sword's low stance up + X for example.

And what I'm saying is, on this very particular boss in those very particular circumstances it can happen. It has happened to me. It has happened to other people. There are bits on the ledge where, depending on how the bosses body is wobbling, the water is exposed sometimes and other times not, and it seems like if you stand in exactly those spots the tracking will pull you under.

I'm not saying ti can happen all the time, just that (in my many varied deaths to this guy), a couple of times I definitely wasn't moving, just swinging my sword, and I went in.

(Mind you, one time I actually ended up going "into" the bosses body, and must have been hitting the vulnerable eye part that's concealed because for a couple of seconds I was inside it, my swings were hitting for 600+ damage a pop in low stance, quick attack dual swords mode which never happens, and then I could roll backwards out of it).

I've Heaven Flash'd myself off other miscellaneous ledges and then Swift Step'd myself off countless walkways as well, just in Umi-Bozu's arena I guess haha

Deku Tree

Would someone explain to me how I get lvl. 160 stuff?

Finish the final Level 320 mission, and then forge weapons a lot until you get one after doing it ten times or ten billion times. apparently if you try before doing the 320 mission then you have the same odds but you might instead get a level 151 or a lvl 159 weapon.

There are some people who say that you may have better luck if you forge a specific weapon or if you forge a weapon that requires a demons horn etc. I don't know all the strategies.

apparently using a divine fragment doesn't matter either because you can forge a lvl 160 common weapon and it soul matches all the same.

It really feels like it's not worth it TBH.

I desperately want it to end.

ps4dummies1112-610d.jpg

PS: Sorry, I couldn't help myself :/

Newboi

Like Pandora said, both of you have to have beaten it to do Torii gate co-op. BUT, if you use a password and place an Ochoko cup at a shrine, then he can join you by highlighting the mission on the map, and pressing square to "Become a visitor"; he'll match with you as long as you both have the same password set.

Thanks you so much for this info! My friend and I were confused for like 30 minutes trying to figure this out.

Finish the final Level 320 mission, and then forge weapons a lot until you get one after doing it ten times or ten billion times. apparently if you try before doing the 320 mission then you have the same odds but you might instead get a level 151 or a lvl 159 weapon.

There are some people who say that you may have better luck if you forge a specific weapon or if you forge a weapon that requires a demons horn etc. I don't know all the strategies.

apparently using a divine fragment doesn't matter either because you can forge a lvl 160 common weapon and it soul matches all the same.

I see. Time to be cheeky then and copy my save to the usb storage.

Final mission or the True final mission? I did the first, but still haven't unlock the latter yet.

The
blob
has so much health on ng+. Even using the fire I haven't been able to beat the second phase. What else is it weak against?Also what's the best way to get a sword that already has fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom