• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about in terms of guardian spirit summon?

Enko's special attack does hard knock down on humanoid opponents. Bosses, revenants, etc. (anything human shaped). And then you can follow it up with an easy grapple.

As somebody who carries 9 spirit guardian spells with fast magic cast, it's fucking glorious.

Enko's special attack does hard knock down on humanoid opponents. Bosses, revenants, etc. (anything human shaped). And then you can follow it up with an easy grapple.

As somebody who carries 9 spirit guardian spells with fast magic cast, it's fucking glorious.

Yeah that was my favorite move, next to the paired Raiken and the Tanuki's body slam. Water and wind don't have any outstanding summon spells

Saprol

you can summon suzaku on umi-bozu and then go back to dodging attacks. it'll spend a bunch of time flying in circles dealing damage. not relevant on the first go but if you're farming for the crafting mat it's an option.

i know fuse-ushi, daiba-washi, mizuchi, enko, and atlas bear are useful for knockdowns. raiken applies lightning debuff pretty easily

aya-komori has great bonuses for light armour users but it felt awful actually summoning it

you can summon suzaku on umi-bozu and then go back to dodging attacks. it'll spend a bunch of time flying in circles dealing damage. not relevant on the first go but if you're farming for the crafting mat it's an option.

i know fuse-ushi, daiba-washi, mizuchi, enko, and atlas bear are useful for knockdowns. raiken applies lightning debuff pretty easily

aya-komori has great bonuses for light armour users but it felt awful actually summoning it

Any thoughts on the ice butterflies? They look good for Youkai fighting

suracity

I think the localization team kind of give up in the second half of the game.
There are tons of historical references that are omitted in the cutscene subtitles. I don't think it's unreasonable because most of the English audience won't get the reference either way and makes the dialogue more convoluted. But I think it's still a shame that localization as a whole is only serviceable but not excellent.

The funny thing is, there is one line from Saosire got completely different translations in English and Chinese version. And because Saosire speaks Gaelic and I know nothing about it now I have no idea which one is correct lol

I'm on the Immortal Flame mission
fighting a boss with wings and a gun
Am I almost done with the main game? I feel like I'm pushing to get through at this point.

I think the localization team kind of give up in the second half of the game.
There are tons of historical references that are omitted in the cutscene subtitles. I don't think it's unreasonable because most of the English audience won't get the reference either way and makes the dialogue more convoluted. But I think it's still a shame that localization as a whole is only serviceable but not excellent.

The funny thing is, there is one line from Saosire got complete different translations in English and Chinese version. And because Saosire speaks Gaelic and I know nothing about it now I have no idea which one is correct lol

To be fair the only other character whos name I can even remember besides William and Kelley is Hattori Hanzo. I have no fuckin clue what is going on with all the warring sides ect. and I pay attention lol.

I feel that most who don't know the historic references will be completely out of the loop.

suracity

To be fair the only other character whos name I can even remember besides William and Kelley is Hattori Hanzo. I have no fuckin clue what is going on with all the warring sides ect. and I pay attention lol.

I feel that most who don't know the historic references will be completely out of the loop.

Oh definitely. the game just assumes people know all those things. maybe in Japan yes these are well known larger than life figures but to a foreign audience? Nah, probably only making them totally confused.

Maledict

I am at the end of Region 2 and have literally never been more confused by a games storyline and characters. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Each missions seems to either start or end with someone new referencing something I don't understand. I don't even get the basic civil war concept that's going on.

I normally love game lore, and maybe it's because of the unfamiliar Japanese names, but it does actually lessen the game for me because nothing makes any sense on any level.

I am at the end of Region 2 and have literally never been more confused by a games storyline and characters. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Each missions seems to either start or end with someone new referencing something I don't understand. I don't even get the basic civil war concept that's going on.

I normally love game lore, and maybe it's because of the unfamiliar Japanese names, but it does actually lessen the game for me because nothing makes any sense on any level.

It's really not difficult at all.

There's literally a "the story so far" tab on the Amrita memories page and a character bio as well.

Maledict

It's really not difficult at all.

There's literally a "the story so far" tab on the Amrita memories page and a character bio.

Sorry but it really, really is. Again, possibly my unfamiliarity with the names, but I'm not the only person complaining about it. I did a mission to find a sword, and it ended with a depressing monologue about the true Nioh and a character whose name I didn't recognize talking about how he didn't live up to their standards (?). And then a mission end screen that bore absolutely no relation to that monologue?

I utterly love the game, but lore and story wise beyond 'get the fairy back from the tattooed guy' everything else may as well be in a foreign language. It's completely incomprehensible. Again, maybe because I have zero familiarity with Japanese history or culture.

Sorry but it really, really is. Again, possibly my unfamiliarity with the names, but I'm not the only person complaining about it. I did a mission to find a sword, and it ended with a depressing monologue about the true Nioh and a character whose name I didn't recognize talking about how he didn't live up to their standards (?). And then a mission end screen that bore absolutely no relation to that monologue?

I utterly love the game, but lore and story wise beyond 'get the fairy back from the tattooed guy' everything else may as well be in a foreign language. It's completely incomprehensible. Again, maybe because I have zero familiarity with Japanese history or culture.

To answer your question, the monologue is base on the character's motivation and personal feelings. He has feelings of inferior complex due to the high standards of his ancestors. And it's also a side quests.

I don't know why people are having a hard time with this, it's not about the names either because I don't remember who the guy above is but I can still remember these things.

Let's start from the basic, do you know that there are two main warring clans in the game, the Ishida and the Tokugawa? That's like the first thing Hanzo tells you after the mission. And throughout the first two regions people never stop bringing up at least Tokugawa's name. Hanzo works for the Tokugawa clan and so he wants to get back to his Lord.

BeeDog

I concur; while I really, really love the game the story is borderline impossible to follow. With the amount of cutscenes the game throws at you, you shouldn't have to resort to a story tab in order to connect the specifics. Utterly incomprehensible trash.

I concur; while I really, really love the game the story is borderline impossible to follow. With the amount of cutscenes the game throws at you, you shouldn't have to resort to a story tab in order to connect the specifics. Utterly incomprehensible trash.

Like tell me right now, where is the part you cannot understand. Do you at least understand the very first explanation of the story Hanzo gives at the very start when you enter the main overworld?

I am a bit confused by the prestige point achievement with defeating Honda without getting hit. It didnt work when I tried to on the side missions. Do you have to defeat him without touching the purple crystals?

Started using sloth and elemental debuf and the game has gotten even more easier than before (new game plus). It is a lot of fun to use and definitely useful against Tengus I used to struggle with a lot.

suracity

I think the enjoyment of the Nioh story really depends on the familiarity and knowledge of Sengoku history. The story is like icing on the cake, and even though some players may never find the story enjoyable they can still have the delicious cake which is fantastic combat and meaty loot system. It's just if you have some prior knowledge you will find a lot of nods and winks from the story.

Maledict

No, I actually don't.

Two clans warring - check.

Which one I support, and why - no idea.

What the other clan on island two is about? No idea.

Where the tattooed man fits in in based on the weird cut scene with him - again, no clue.

Like I said, I love game lore. I followed and understood ff13. I read wiki's obsessively. This is the first time I've ever been so completely and utterly bewildered by a games plot line and characters, *ever*. I'm not someone who skips text or dialogue!

Like tell me right now, where is the part you cannot understand. Do you at least understand the very first explanation of the story Hanzo gives at the very start when you enter the main overworld?

To be honest I don't get why people are confused by the story either.

The overall arch is obvious - William (Sir Anjin) wants his spirit back that saved his life when he was a child. So it's important to him. Sir Kelley was commissioned by background characters (who will reveal themselves, keep playing) from England to go to Japan to acquire Amrita. A resource that William's spirit can find easily (like a compass, thus - why Kelly stole her to begin with). Amrita is a special resource that converts soldiers into demons (which the English wants to weaponize) - think the B.O.W program from Resident Evil (accept Amrita is in a sense, the T-virus). Amrita is in ample supply in Japan, which is why Kelley goes there with William's stole spirit animal. William thus follows him to Japan.

On the Japan front, you work with Hanzo who has recruited you to join with Ieyasu to control and unify Japan. William agrees because it allows him to track Kelley more easily. The characters you meet in the first few regions are simply various other warlards that Hanzo and you are recruiting. This recruitment also is further explained quite literally in a mission later on. For the most part in the first third of the game, you are in quest to meet up with Lord Ieyasu. Understand that the first time you meet him it's merely a body double to prove that William isn't an assassin. The secondary antagonist in the game can be seen as Lord Ishida, the strongest rival to Lord Ieyasu (the guy you 'work' for).

Williams crew consists of Hanzo, Okatsu, Tenkai, and Fuku. Your 'party' if you will that work for Ieyasu to assist you. The game begins to more focus on the primary objective in the second half, which the story becomes less about Japanese warring states and warlords and more about William's primary quest.

No, I actually don't.

Two clans warring - check.

Which one I support, and why - no idea.

What the other clan on island two is about? No idea.

Where the tattooed man fits in in based on the weird cut scene with him - again, no clue.

Like I said, I love game lore. I followed and understood ff13. I read wiki's obsessively. This is the first time I've ever been so completely and utterly bewildered by a games plot line and characters, *ever*. I'm not someone who skips text or dialogue!

You don't support either, but Hanzo works for the Tokugawa and you need his help so by default you're sort of going along with him. This is in the still cut scene.

The other clan in the second region are a bit of a neutral party for the moment. They're not quite Allies and not quite enemies yet. You're only helping them out because of an unexpected detour by the youknowwhat before and so you needed a place to crash.

The tatoo man is in Japan collecting Amrita.

Saprol

That Nue's claw has some BS drop rate but it's done. Cleaned up the hot springs trophy last because I only started tracking which ones I used in region 4. Also because it's more scenic than beating up optional bosses 🙌

LjFoHpG.jpg

Probably getting back to Yakuza 0 which I had paused on to mash through Nioh. Delaying getting a copy of Horizon because I'm interested to see if Squeenix says anything about that supposed PC Nier date after the PS4 version releases.

Raybunny

Was able to reach my objective. 750 and +10 weapons and armor before Horizon. What an adventure this game was and yes bring on the DLC.

Maledict

What I would say I dislike about the game are the sections where it feels like the game has imposed artificial, unfun difficulty for the sake of being difficult.

E.g. The area in region 2 with lots of instant death water holes and really tight corridors where falling to instant death is incredibly easy. Then in a side mission they fill it full of huge monsters with large AE attacks where dodging to avoid the attack is often instant death. My favorite was the standard demon soldier with an axe stood just in front of a shrine on a really, really tight form with instant death water all around - and he one shot me. That was a surprise. Camera weirdness + big monsters + narrow fighting spaces + lots of instant death terrain != fun for me.

I do really struggle with blocking. Whenever I meet a boss I cannot tackle (Dojo warrior adept mission, succubus lady etc) often it's because I'm not blocking enough.

IvorB

I don't think that is important differentiation. To me the mountain levels in Nioh might as well be connected to each other. Or 1-1 and 1-2 be in totally different castles in DeS. Wouldn't make a difference to me. To me you just select levels in DeS just like in Nioh. In DeS they just share the same theme across some levels but thats it.

Well, it is a difference. The Boletarian Palace is all one place and you can walk from the beginning to the end. Are you really trying to tell me the continuous worlds of Demon's are the same as the bite-sized levels in Nioh? Not to mention that Nioh recycles and remixes levels which is unheard of in Souls.

myco666

Well, it is a difference. The Boletarian Palace is all one place and you can walk from the beginning to the end. Are you really trying to tell me the continuous worlds of Demon's are the same as the bite-sized levels in Nioh? Not to mention that Nioh recycles and remixes levels which is unheard of in Souls.

Yes, I am saying that. I never walked through the entire area. I just chose a level from the menu in Demon's and did that level. Much like I do in Nioh. Having you to warp after every boss in Demon's wouldn't make any difference to me. Something like 1-2 is also way smaller than probably any of the main missions in Nioh. The sub-missions are different for sure but then again Demon's had world tendency that opened up new pathways and added new enemies and quests to these levels. You could argue that world tendency functions as sub-missions in Demon's.

I am not saying the games are 1:1 carbon copies of each other but rather that they are very similiar in this aspect.

Gbraga

No my firsr run with duel swords i was under the level on missions by 20. Its all about gear and ki management

Not really but you may have to do some of them before being able to advance to the next region. Some of the side missions provide good farming locations for great gear.

Thank you!

I just want to move on from the demo levels. I quite enjoyed what they did with the maps in the side missions, but I just can't stand them anymore.

Greddleok

My problems with the game:

The story is terrible. I have no idea what's going on. They have some beautiful cutscenes, then ruin them by putting ridiculous info in subtitles. I can't read and watch at the same time! Then the story is just crazy, I have absolutely no idea what is going on or what my character's motivations are.

I'm not so fussed about it, I never really care about story much in games anyway, but I'd at least like to know what's happening.

The other problem is the way twilight missions work. I finally last night, had 2 twilight missions I hadn't done. I finished one, then I didn't have time to do the other. How long am I going to have to wait until it's available again?! Silly system IMO. I understand why they want to limit them - people shouldn't be compelled to do them immediately after finishing the original mission - but I don't like the system.

Wow the "Trail of the Master" mission where you're supposed to fight a ... Tengu? and the scarf lady enemy (I can't check names during a mission apparently) seems harder than any fight I've been in thus far, including boss fights. This might be impossible for me.

Jamiaro

What is a good armor-combo for Yasakani Magatama? I really like the Red Devil-set but I'd like to use another element besides fire.

Jamiaro

Wow this optional mission where you're supposed to fight a ... Tengu? and the scarf lady enemy (I can't check names during a mission apparently) seems harder than any fight I've been in thus far, including boss fights. This might be impossible for me.

I'll be available for co-op in 10min if you'd like to try that.

Deku Tree

Twilight missions are like a "daily" mission in MMOs. They are on rotation to keep you coming back. There are only nine of them and two a day so you should see all of them within five days. Not a big deal IMO shrug.

The story is a typical dumb action game story. If you read the text before you start each mission then you'll understand the story. This is not Uncharted.

laxu

Wow this optional mission where you're supposed to fight a ... Tengu? and the scarf lady enemy (I can't check names during a mission apparently) seems harder than any fight I've been in thus far, including boss fights. This might be impossible for me.

Scarf lady is a Flying Bolt. The Raven Tengu is the hard part, basically you should avoid him by running away and try to take out the Flying Bolt first and then you can concentrate on the Tengu. Sloth is your friend.

Maledict

Twilight missions are like a "daily" mission in MMOs. They are on rotation to keep you coming back. There are only nine of them and two a day so you should see all of them within five days. Not a big deal IMO shrug.

The story is a typical dumb action game story. If you read the text before you start each mission then you'll understand the story. This is not Uncharted.

I read every piece of text, do all side missions, and watch all cut scenes. I'm normally the type of person who waffles on about pointless lore endlessly. I haven't a fucking clue what's going on and I'm at the end of region 2.

It's great some people are getting the story, but I don't think there's much value in saying 'it's simple, just pay attention' when there are lots of people saying otherwise. Like I said, I'm happy to admit I think part of my problem is the Japanese names don't stick in my head at all - they are so foreign compared to what I'm used to, I forget who everyone is and you get *so* many names and clans flung at you very early on it becomes a very confusing mess.

Loved the giant blob fight at the end of region 2 btw. Found that one really enjoyable, even if the level itself was awful with the instant death water. And god I hate bird men.

Greddleok

The problem is that it's impenetrable dumb action game story. I don't even care how dumb the story is, I just want to know what's happening. I have no fucking clue, just a bunch of Japanese guys getting corrupted by some English guy, and killed by another.

I don't think the twilight missions are a big deal, but I don't like it. I think it says a lot about the game if the only mechanical thing I dislike is a stupid daily quest structure.

xynder

Banned
The problem is that it's impenetrable dumb action game story. I don't even care how dumb the story is, I just want to know what's happening. I have no fucking clue, just a bunch of Japanese guys getting corrupted by some English guy, and killed by another.

I don't think the twilight missions are a big deal, but I don't like it. I think it says a lot about the game if the only mechanical thing I dislike is a stupid daily quest structure.

story makes zero sense to me, either. and i can't take the cut scenes seriously since William seems to be tripping balls 24/7

I'll be available for co-op in 10min if you'd like to try that.

I unfortunately have to sign off now. : ( Thanks for the offer.

Scarf lady is a Flying Bolt. The Raven Tengu is the hard part, basically you should avoid him by running away and try to take out the Flying Bolt first and then you can concentrate on the Tengu. Sloth is your friend.

My problem is I can't seem to do much damage to her. My weapon is at about 550 strength, but that's apparently not enough. The other problem is that she like to float up in the air where it's difficult to hit her. It's almost easier to take on the raven which I seem to do more damage to and pray for the best rather than have the Tengu circle my camera and dive bomb me from behind.

I'm playing the Japanese version so apparently it's Karasu-tengu (same) and Ittanmomen (one-hectare cloth) for me.

Edit: I tried 99 arms, but she just rose up to avoid my hits. It might be worth another try.

Maledict

If someone knows the trick to fighting the Birdmen I wish they could tell me. I can dodge a fair amount of their moves, but they counterattack *so* fast it's insane, and a large amount of their moves completely break my Ki bar if I block them. The only move I know I'm safe to hit them on is when they do the stab forward and then a big spin - but even then, the speed at which he'll do another high damage swipe is ridiculously fast.

Also fighting them in a tight space, like the one in the side mission in region 2, seems suicide.

Manu

The post-game double duel against
Nobunaga and Yuki-Onna
would be a lot more manageable if
she
didn't hit so fucking hard.

I even managed to kill
Nobunaga
once and then I died in two hits to
Yuki-Onna

Status
Not open for further replies.