• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

Ninja skills. Shurikens, kunai, poison bombs, etc, etc.

Hit buttons. The regular combos are light > heavy, Light > Light > Heavy etc. You get more as you upgrade your skills.

Use whatever you are comfortable with. I personally use heavy for everything since there's no real reason to switch stances anymore noe that the low stance ki dodge is gone.

What is this low stance ki dodge people keep talking about. I did play the alpha.

Kinsei

Banned
What is this low stance ki dodge people keep talking about. I did play the alpha.

In the alpha you would regain your ki when you dodged in low stance. You could take advantage of this by switching stance mid combo and dodging to regain your ki and keep on the offensive. Now that it's been moved to high stance it's not nearly as useful because of how much ki dodging in high stance takes.

The end of the Twilight version of the first Sub-Mission. Samurai dude ain't got shit on that ball of crazy.

Yeah, I struggled real hard with that too. I died multiple times just to figure out if I can still use the rock and sure enough, yes I was. My strategy was to eliminate the summoner, kill one or two fireheads to get some elemental damage, aggro the wheels into the rock, high stance spam one of them to death, repeat, then focus on the revenant.

Muneshige was tough but I had the luxury of farming for elixirs. Beat him on the first try.

@The Hamburglar - it was when you would dodge and you could recover your ki. It's now applicable to high stance.

Alastor3

In the alpha you would regain your ki when you dodged in low stance. You could take advantage of this by switching stance mid combo and dodging to regain your ki and keep on the offensive. Now that it's been moved to high stance it's not nearly as useful because of how much ki dodging in high stance takes.

Does that mean that video is no longer relevant? Before I really dig the dashing technique...

Hope the air combo is still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0_D0nykqk

atomsk

Party Pooper
It was such a goddamn miracle when I beat the first boss during the alpha...

and now I have to do it again in order to see the new content?

Kinsei

Banned
Does that mean that video is no longer relevant? Before I really dig the dashing technique...

Hope the air combo is still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0_D0nykqk

Correct, that fighting style has been completely cut from the game.

Most of those air combos should still work. It looked liek there were quite a few that didn't use dashing at all.

It was such a goddamn miracle when I beat the first boss during the alpha...

and now I have to do it again in order to see the new content?

Yep. It now has more health too. GLHF!

Zambatoh

Yep. It now has more health too. GLHF!

Onryoki has more health in this version? That's weird. I beat him hella faster in this version then I did in Alpha.

Edit: Nvm, I just checked my recordings. Yeah it definitely took almost twice as long this time.

ironcreed

Banned
how the fuck do you beat the two tongue demons

Same part I am stuck at. No time to heal, no room to get them separated and you are dead in a couple of shots. If I could just get one of them I would be fine. But it's too relentless and the area to work in is too small.

Kinsei

Banned
Same part I am stuck at. No time to heal, no room to get them separated and you are dead in a couple of shots. If I could just get one of them I would be fine. But it's too relentless and the area to work in is too small.

Living weapon will help you destroy them.

Make sure you kill the blue skull in the second wave last so you have water element applied to your sword when you start fighting the togue demons.

Only go for one attack at a time. You can usually get in a strong attack after one punches you. The one you are attacking will act like a shield protecting you from the one behind it.

how do you get that?

I said it a couple of pages back but really look into your skilltree and map out what you want to do. Magic and ninjutsu is crazy if you really took advantage of them. It also helps that omamori charms can give you a chance at unlimited uses for your ninjutsu and magic.

I hope they really don't give omamori charms crazy percentages for unlimited usages along with ranged weaponry.

Edit:

They have a charge attack. Use that to your advantage. Lure them to the rock and bait one to charge at the rock. That should stun one for a few seconds and allow you to get some hits on one. The fireheads should be dealt with immediately because they can and will be annoying shooting fireballs at you.

I said it a couple of pages back but really look into your skilltree and map out what you want to do. Magic and ninjutsu is crazy if you really took advantage of them. It also helps that omamori charms can give you a chance at unlimited uses for your ninjutsu and magic.

I hope they really don't give omamori charms crazy percentages for unlimited usages along with ranged weaponry.

Are you familiar with the Ninjutsu and Onmyoudo trees? What would their playstyle be like?

ironcreed

Banned
Living weapon will help you destroy them.

Make sure you kill the blue skull in the second wave last so you have water element applied to your sword when you start fighting the togue demons.

Only go for one attack at a time. You can usually get in a strong attack after one punches you. The one you are attacking will act like a shield protecting you from the one behind it.

14102561_1162454327151666_2195696530105753766_n.jpg

I got them. I was finally able to get enough separation to take one out and that was all I needed. Short, but hard mission.

Zambatoh

My advice is to simply go with your gut instinct. Which is what I did.

Also it should be noted that the battle arena is essentially one big circle, so you could effectively have the bosses chase you around in this circle while taking pot shots at them.

The terrain is also notably elevated. I noticed that when I'm standing on lower elevations, they couldn't even hit me.

If you need to see the video again, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFPJoQqQtQ&feature=youtu.be&t=7m30s

Edit: Oh nvm then. You already got it.

Are you familiar with the Ninjutsu and Onmyoudo trees? What would their playstyle be like?

Sort of. I read the skills and I can see how strong they are because they have various effects on enemies - slow, paralysis, fire, poison, smoke screen, etc.

They seem to require one to look around and plan their attacks because some do require you to plant them like in that video posted.

I would recommend people to put some points into both because the bottom of the list provides good stuff. One allows you extra elixirs, one decreases damage from yokai, increased purification range, decreased ki usage while running, evading, and running speed, etc.

14102561_1162454327151666_2195696530105753766_n.jpg

I got them. I was finally able to get enough separation to take one out and that was all I needed. Short, but hard mission.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear your progression on the next stage :p

Kinsei

Banned
Sort of. I read the skills and I can see how strong they are because they have various effects on enemies - slow, paralysis, fire, poison, smoke screen, etc.

Some do but others (like caltrops) don't.

Caltrops completely wreck the second bosses stamina. I guess it makes sense seeing as she's practically walking on stilts.

Some do but others (like caltrops) don't. Caltrops completely wreck the second bosses stamina. I guess it makes sense seeing as she's practically walking on stilts.

I haven't tried caltrops and I've only done the essential kunais and elemental buffs. How viable are they on mobs and big reds?

I'm honestly doing my build like Souls/Borne >_> I know every stat or most stats are viable to upgrade but in Nioh they are really good because skill points are tied to them and some skills are essential.

Speaking of weapons, have we seen Naginatas or Kanabos in trailers? How likely are we getting Kusarigamas? Kusarigama's would be a decent weapon for mid-long range battles with little to no stunlocking. It could allow for air combos again.

Kinsei

Banned
I haven't tried caltrops and I've only done the essential kunais and elemental buffs. How viable are they on mobs and big reds?

I'm honestly doing my build like Souls/Borne >_> I know every stat or most stats are viable to upgrade but in Nioh they are really good because skill points are tied to them and some skills are essential.

Speaking of weapons, have we seen Naginatas or Kanabos in trailers? How likely are we getting Kusarigamas? Kusarigama's would be a decent weapon for mid-long range battles with little to no stunlocking. It could allow for air combos again.

I've never used them on regular enemies. I kinda forget I have them until I'm fighting a boss.

Alastor3

Correct, that fighting style has been completely cut from the game.

Now im really sad, I wanted to try these out :(

On other note, can't finish the first map, I follow the path up from a hill, arrived at a house with a wall, go fight this guy before me and realised these like 4 other guys waiting for me on the back of the wall.

I almost got them because I had huge firebomb but got killed... how the hell im I suppose to be killing 3 small dude and 2 guy in armor?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The scaling works pretty much the exact same as in Souls, but for some reason, single points in any corresponding stat may not do much, even with good scaling, as it sometimes seems to skip one point and then get bigger improvements on the next one. If you see the investment forecast for 4-5 levels at once, the scaling seems to hold true.

Hmm, are you sure? I keep using a B+ Heart-scaling katana (with C and D scaling on Skill and Strength respectively), and I feel like levelling up Heart hasn't done shit beyond the first level up or two. Yet levelling up Strength did increase my katana's attack. Guess I'll try to somehow hold on to tons of souls amrita to do a massive level up later and see what happens...

Now im really sad, I wanted to try these out :(

On other note, can't finish the first map, I follow the path up from a hill, arrived at a house with a wall, go fight this guy before me and realised these like 4 other guys waiting for me on the back of the wall.

I almost got them because I had huge firebomb but got killed... how the hell im I suppose to be killing 3 small dude and 2 guy in armor?

There's another way around where you can reach the house from the back, more or less (there's a shrine, then you drop down and kill an archer -- or snipe at him from above -- and then you are on the side of that house, and the mobs don't aggro unless you rush in. You can then lure the guys one by one with stones or shuriken.

Kinsei

Banned
What, are the
bats
some kind of a sick joke or what? About as cheap as cheap can be. Guaranteed death from out of nowhere.

Out of nowhere? They're really loud and you can see them before they attack. If you shoot at them you'll get free elixer.

ironcreed

Banned
Out of nowhere? They're really loud and you can see them before they attack. If you shoot at them you'll get free elixer.

I got blasted before I even knew what was going on and off the cliff I went. Reminds me of getting nailed by that iron ball in Demon's Souls for the first time.

Jawmuncher

So you can't redownload the mark of the conquerer? Seems the US accounts are having a bug with it not allowing that to sync right. Can't say I'm in the mood to replay that first area.

Ashtar

Played through the training and got back to where I died a hundred times my first time through the hill lol, so much for it being easier! Had no idea about ki regen that first time though. This will be fun

Zocano

Hhhhmmmm. I feel similar about the styles as I did in the alpha.

After getting the second boss down without getting hit, I just feel like there really isn't too much of a reason to use anything but mid stance. Hit twice, dodge. Block attack. Repeat.

Like I know it's there and I like to try to be fancy and switch. But unfortunately like most cool systems, it just seems more effective to be as safe and conservative in playstyle because of how ruthless the game is.

ironcreed

Banned
Nice, got the next shrine. It is just like Demon's Souls all over again, with dying as you learn the area and the enemies. Then you progress.

Kinsei

Banned
Thoughts on difficulty? It feels much easier for me. But Im playing the alpha area again because I can't seem to play the new area

Regular enemies on their own are easier. The two new bosses are much harder than anything that was in the alpha and the first side mission is also quite tough as it regularly puts you up against multiple enemies at once.

There's also the twilight mode which makes the alpha area harder than it was in the alpha.

If every mission has a twilight version of it in the full game, then that would instantly get me much more hyped.

I imagine at least every story mission will have a twilight version.

Fireflu

So have they given any word on this mark of the conquerer issue? Can't seem to find much but it does seem to be an issue in NA

I never got it to work, really frustrating not being able to acquire all the loot/levels gained in the alpha. Really hope the progress from the beta carries over to the main game but I somehow doubt it.

Speaking of marks though, how on earth do you get the mark of the strong? Beat every stage and there was no mention of it... very vague.

Kinsei

Banned
I never got it to work, really frustrating not being able to acquire all the loot/levels gained in the alpha. Really hope the progress from the beta carries over to the main game but I somehow doubt it.

Speaking of marks though, how on earth do you get the mark of the strong? Beat every stage and there was no mention of it... very vague.

You were never going to get the gear you had at the end of the alpha. It was meant to give you special starting items.

It should have let you download it after beating the second boss.

I really want this game to have some kind of Bloody Palace. I would love a mode where I just fight hordes of enemies, just like DMC's Bloody Palace.

I'd happily just play the game for the gameplay.

Jawmuncher

Gonna see if they fix it by Friday

JJD

So after the twilight stages there's no more stuff on the demo? I think I cleared it all including the cool fight with the lvl 30 samurai.

There's no twilight version of the cave lvl right?

Fireflu

You were never going to get the gear you had at the end of the alpha. It was meant to give you special starting items.

It should have let you download it after beating the second boss.

Found it, had to go to the main menu and press square then select the correct mark. Thanks anyway.

Top Bottom