• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

Nitpicky as it may be, I hope they add William's grunts from the alpha build back in. He sounds so tame now, and while not necessarily indicative of anything just yet, there was no option to change voice language in the beta. Soundtrack was indeed solid, considering Ninja Gaiden's has been utterly forgettable.

I actually didn't realize there was a change. Will check some of the old videos to compare, not that it matters at this point though I guess.

The music in the last area was very tranquil, loved it.. it seemed a bit odd for that tough section though.

I really liked the idea of that, it was wistful and tranquil like you said which reminded me of the Moonlight Butterfly fight in Dark Souls or something along those lines where the atmosphere of the setting and place overrides the necessity to be loud and "action". I really appreciate little touches like that and I think it comes off as quite inspired and thoughtful to not just toss generic Action accompaniment over every situation.

Many games could benefit from a less cliched soundtrack in my opinion. Also to add to that, the overall Ambient sound design in this game is really nice. Rustling leaves, those weird sounds the little green guys make, the water. Just very immersive overall, I find myself really absorbed when I play which is rare these days.

I actually didn't realize there was a change. Will check some of the old videos to compare, not that it matters at this point though I guess.

I really liked the idea of that, it was wistful and tranquil like you said which reminded me of the Moonlight Butterfly fight in Dark Souls or something along those lines where the atmosphere of the setting and place overrides the necessity to be loud and "action". I really appreciate little touches like that and I think it comes off as quite inspired and thoughtful to not just toss generic Action accompaniment over every situation.

Many games could benefit from a less cliched soundtrack in my opinion. Also to add to that, the overall Ambient sound design in this game is really nice. Rustling leaves, those weird sounds the little green guys make, the water. Just very immersive overall, I find myself really absorbed when I play which is rare these days.

Well said!

What other demos have been as expansive as these last two Nioh ones? I'm kind of curious as to how much of the game we've seen at this point.

I read 10% somewhere but I'm not sure if that's just the beta or both alpha and beta.

Someone on here had mentioned that the game is supposed to have around 20 main levels, don't know the source or anything honestly.

I actually think the mission structure will be extremely conducive to its replayability and I really like that they went that route instead of trying to ape Dark Souls' connected world structure or, christ on a pogo stick, open world.

I can't even believe how much time I've blown on this bite sized version of the game already.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
The only real issues I have with regards to feedback is securing a stable netcode for multiplayer experiences. I had a summon help me with Hino-Enma and when they died it briefly tanked the game, especially frustrating in that boss fight as Hino-Enma can attack fast and I wasn't able to react, so I got caught in an attack, put in the paralysed state and didn't have any anti-paralyctic needles left. Cue death. :(

Agree with the idea of lowering the initial cost for use of Ninjitsu skills. Didn't use them once as the asking price was too steep to tempt me away from going pure swordsman.

IvorB

I also really appreciate the ambient sound and how it adds to the atmosphere. One thing that stands out to me are the blade sounds. The combat audio is just so great in this.

Agree with the idea of lowering the initial cost for use of Ninjitsu skills. Didn't use them once as the asking price was too steep to tempt me away from going pure swordsman.

Eh... I'm not sure I agree with this. I mean, if the ninjutsu stuff was purely supplemental (like onmyo currently is), then maybe, but it is so damn strong when you go for a straight ninjutsu build that it can easily become overpowered.

Ramune

The only real issues I have with regards to feedback is securing a stable netcode for multiplayer experiences. I had a summon help me with Hino-Enma and when they died it briefly tanked the game, especially frustrating in that boss fight as Hino-Enma can attack fast and I wasn't able to react, so I got caught in an attack, put in the paralysed state and didn't have any anti-paralyctic needles left. Cue death. :(

....Oh shoot, I completely forgot about those! I just used my Level 2 Talisman instead and eventually didn't fuck up! Another thing I didn't know but found out for this beta was the run button (hold X). REALLY made a difference with encounters.

I was surprised how much I cheesed the first level after being so familiar with it from the alpha. So many shortcuts if you know the layout of the land. And Oni this time were not like bosses to me unlike they were previously. Heck, even took on the 2nd Nurikabe in the 2nd mission just to see what happens, and after taking my time and reading what it does, I was able to open up a even more direct route with lead straight to the 3rd shrine. Really enjoyed my time with this.

I'll have to look into an amp or something as this game seems to really benefit from directional audio, which doesn't do me much favors in Stereo.

Hmmm, game's still up for me, if anyone needs help with the 2nd area let me know. I'll be here for an hour. Kind of want to try the multiplayer aspect before it goes myself. ^_^;

Edit: Oh, nevermind...it really is expired now (had the game suspended on the map area)

IvorB

I really screwed up my character in this beta. I didn't see all the omyo and ninjitsu passive skills for ages when some of them are essential I reckon. I wish they would tweak the omyo stuff to be a bit more viable 'cuase trying to line everything up to get the effect up and then capitalise on it in the time was a real headache.

This game is fucking awesome. I still don't know what I'm doing half the time but the game feels so great. Summoning for co-op was really fucking easy too. I didn't finish any of the missions and that's ok. I played enough knowing I want to get my ass kicked whenever the game launches.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Is it possible to parry any of the yokai? I've been trying and have had zero success so far, anyone else's luck been any different?

Incidentally, this popped up in a Facebook group about medieval art I'm signed up for today:

14232392_914761081963289_2151923524840772092_n.jpg

15th century approximately

Oh cool! I wonder if this art was the inspiration for the first boss. Probably one like it at least

I used to have a coffee table book about feudal era Japan depictions of 'hell' and so forth and a ton of Nioh stuff, like Onimusha before, is based on it. It's really cool material for a video game and makes me wonder why there aren't really any Western games with a bestiary inspired by Hieronymous Bosch or Dürer or something like that.

By the way, if you're in North America (Eastern), demo's done by tonight right?

Vasili2K38

Like the alpha, I enjoyed inmensely the beta. Played a lot, at least 15-20 hours I think, and I ended with level ¿47? (I have a stats screenshot in my PS4, and also a few videos I have to process). I didn't mind the durability in the Alpha, but the changes in the camera are welcome. For me this game is a glorious bastard of action games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC and the Souls series with a touch of loot and spiced with a Onimusha-like atmosphere of feudal Japan, Onis and that kind of thing.. amazing O.O.

Did a half-hearted test of trying to start it up when I got home to see whether I somehow can cheat the system...

It'll be a long wait and here's to hoping no further mechanics bite the dust.

It's not the initial skill point cost that's the problem, skill points can be gain relatively easy, sometimes you even get some hand outs from other stats like Body.

The real problem imo in the beginning is the jutsu capacity. The only way to increase it is to pump into Dex or Magic for Nin and Onm respectively.

Eh... I'm not sure I agree with this. I mean, if the ninjutsu stuff was purely supplemental (like onmyo currently is), then maybe, but it is so damn strong when you go for a straight ninjutsu build that it can easily become overpowered.

I don't know if they would change it, but I certainly would like if I could prepare a few more abilities in the starting level.

Steenbock

Neo Member
First off, huge thanks to the player who helped me down the second boss last night. I'll be honest, when I saw that visitor "TubbyWubby420" had arrived, I had my doubts, but they were amazing. And this time the cinema didn't crash, so I got my second mark!

Second; is anyone else still able to play? I powered up my PS4 today and I was still on the map screen and found that I could access the twilight version of the first level.

I'm really torn between seeing how long I can keep playing, or switching games, since none of my progress will carry over. Plus, I can't take breaks from beating my head against the wall to help other players if nobody else is online... That was a great way to alleviate my frustration when I'd get stuck.

Second; is anyone else still able to play? I powered up my PS4 today and I was still on the map screen and found that I could access the twilight version of the first level.

I'm really torn between seeing how long I can keep playing, or switching games, since none of my progress will carry over. Plus, I can't take breaks from beating my head against the wall to help other players if nobody else is online... That was a great way to alleviate my frustration when I'd get stuck.

Was just about to post the same thing. Haven't been on my PS4 in a couple of days but I had Nioh suspended while I was away and I'm playing right now.

The last time I played, before beta went down, I suspended my session at the map screen. Just resumed my PS4 now and surprisingly, Nioh is working. There was a connection error that went away, and I'm able to enter/leave levels, use the blacksmith shop, etc. Cool?

My PS4 sure feels empty without this game...the addiction and withdrawal is real.

I don't have an XBOX but all I can think about is replaying Ninja Gaiden, damn.

My PS4 sure feels empty without this game...the addiction and withdrawal is real.

Fam, I feel ya. Hopefully this starts a new wave of souls like games that are in direct competition with From's stuff. If the surge is anywhere as good as he nioh demos were, I am so excited for next year, just need a release date or at least a demo date.

Fam, I feel ya. Hopefully this starts a new wave of souls like games that are in direct competition with From's stuff. If the surge is anywhere as good as he nioh demos were, I am so excited for next year, just need a release date or at least a demo date.

I think you mean AAA souls game, or specifically Souls game created by developers of Character Action games.

Because there's definitely a bunch of Soul-like games now but they are all Indie.

IvorB

Yeah post demo period is rough. I actually tried to boot it up the other day but it didn't work :-(. I'm struggling to get back into my other games now.

Would be interesting to see the results of the survey from this Beta.

And then the changes from it.

It took a minute for them to post results from the Alpha I think but they never did mention the low stance dodge change in their list for example. I don't think we'll know until we get our hands on the final game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Gotta say I love the whole REAL alpha and beta releases they did with feedback surveys. That's pretty much unheard of these days. All from free public testing. No BUY INTO THE ALPHA BACK OUR KICKSTART TO PLAY EARLY.

Just legit old school early demos of the game with feed back request

Top Bottom