• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

So, what the heck is up with the character limit on the survey? It's like you can't tell them anything.

The main issue I had was fighting the goddamn lock-on in those situations. I don't know if I just need to go no-lock, I assume so. I don't remember how the lockon worked exactly in the Alpha other than that you had to block essentially to face the enemy consistently, so not sure if that might be caused by the change to the lock-on?

The lock-on in the Alpha allowed you swing freely in any direction, which made dealing with multiple enemies an absolute breeze. It really needs to be an option in the full game.

Don't forget to fill out the survey. My only complaints are: the camera in narrow passages, the skills menu, and I don't like that you can't quit out of a mission without using a consumable. Other that it's the best game I've played this year.
Just always use your amrita and then the Himorogi Fragment.

Solobbos

PSN crashed and I got kicked out from the second level's final boss again. If the beta is stil up tomorrow, I would for someone to help me beat rhat horrific umbrella witch.

Damn PSN down so cant finish this - anyone know how far I am on the beta level? Just got to the second shrine
after those stupid bats

I assume the beta closes midnight US, so hoping to finish it before it ends!

ps3ud0 8)
You are pretty close to the end. If it is back up tonight, I will help you beat it

Skeeter49

Fuck, beat the final boss, picked up the loot and my game crashed during the cutscene, didn't count my win so had to start over the boss. Haven't been able to beat her since then. Looks like I'm not getting the Mark of the Strong :(

Was a good round as well, only used a few health items. Really annoyed about that. I wouldn't have been if it was clear I wasn't going to beat her, but beating her and the game crashing just really irritates me.

Fuck, beat the final boss, picked up the loot and my game crashed during the cutscene, didn't count my win so had to start over the boss. Haven't been able to beat her since then. Looks like I'm not getting the Mark of the Strong :(

Was a good round as well, only used a few health items. Really annoyed about that. I wouldn't have been if it was clear I wasn't going to beat her, but beating her and the game crashing just really irritates me.
Want help?
If anyone wants help with boss im on now . Password NEOGAF. Who knows how long psn will be up

Skeeter49

Want help?
If anyone wants help with boss im on now . Password NEOGAF. Who knows how long psn will be up

Thanks, might not need it, just beat her again, skipped the cutscene so it wouldn't kick me out again, now I'm stuck with the failed to connect to the Network screen, begging it connects eventually. If it doesn't count it a second time I'll accept the help, think I'll start losing it if I get cheated out of the win a second time.

Edit: It went through, got the DLC :) I was going to be furious if it didn't count it.

Fireflu

So, what the heck is up with the character limit on the survey? It's like you can't tell them anything.

Tell me about it, super frustrating. Had quite a bit of detailed feedback to give them that I just couldn't send in the end.
Had to cut about 90% of my overall feedback due to that bloody invisible character limit. It was especially annoying for that final box on the form, asking for additional feedback/suggestions. The size of the box implied that there were no limits but I think it only allowed about 2/3 small sentences.

I even tried sending the full list of feedback directly to them via facebook/twitter but there's no way in hell anyone related to the development of the game will ever see it.
I'm sure many people will have some genuinely good advice to pass along that won't ever been seen or heard due to that unnecessary character limit :/...

Thanks, might not need it, just beat her again, skipped the cutscene so it wouldn't kick me out again, now I'm stuck with the failed to connect to the Network screen, begging it connects eventually. If it doesn't count it a second time I'll accept the health, think I'll start losing it if I get cheated out of the win a second time.

Edit: It went through, got the DLC :) I was going to be furious if it didn't count it.
Awesome. Now we have to wait for a release date. Hope it's sooner than later

Two questions, how do I set the shrine password? I cannot find the option.

Second question, can someone PLEASE HELP ME! :O I'm at the last boss but can't take her on by myself.

Two questions, how do I set the shrine password? I cannot find the option.

Second question, can someone PLEASE HELP ME! :O I'm at the last boss but can't take her on by myself.

Just had to look this up myself. You have to quit the current mission that you're on and go back to the mission select screen. From there you can hit triangle to bring up the network options and enter a password. I think you then go to the starting point and go to the Torii Gate to find others.

Just had to look this up myself. You have to quit the current mission that you're on and go back to the mission select screen. From there you can hit triangle to bring up the network options and enter a password. I think you then go to the starting point and go to the Torii Gate to find others.

Thanks!

I use triangle at map screen. Maybe you can do it at shrine or menu too. Not sure. I will help you

Great. I am back on the map screen and have set my secret word to NEOGAF. Let me know what I should do next! Thank you!

Edit: I am on the Companion screen. Searching for a companion.

Nope. Search and wait are part of a different coop mode with no shrines and a revive mechanic. Both get full credit. Using a shrine to summon help is different

Ah, gotcha.

I'm in the regular mission right now and I just ran to the second shrine if anyone wants to lend a hand. Also using the password "NEOGAF". Fair warning: I'm terrible at this game - you're going to have to carry me through this boss lol.

Ohjee just saved my LIFE! Wow, that was fun.
It seems like when you play via passcode, you get multiple lives?

Omg. She was dodging everything at the end but we pulled through. Gj on that last min revive

I wasn't sure it was you! Wow, that was a thrill. Thank you SO MUCH for your help, I couldn't do it without you. She had like 0 HP for the longest time.. but eventually she even gained some health back by draining ours?

What a thrill!

Thanks for the help there. Sorry for being basically useless that entire fight lol. I had no elixirs when we went in and at half health I figured I should keep my distance.

Ohjee just saved my LIFE! Wow, that was fun.
It seems like when you play via passcode, you get multiple lives?

I wasn't sure it was you! Wow, that was a thrill. Thank you SO MUCH for your help, I couldn't do it without you. She had like 0 HP for the longest time.. but eventually she even gained some health back by draining ours?

What a thrill!
Np. Yeah, when you play with companion it sets up a lobby and you can revive your teamate if you have enough of the blue gage left. Trade off is that you can't use the shrines. She went crazy at the end. If you wouldnt have revived me in time,it would have been game over. The gage keeps decreasing when someone is down

To be fair, I don't think the devs set up their feedback survey with the expectations of play testers report lol.

Most people would probably just say "it's too hard, it's too easy, nerf this, change that etc." without much details.

[*]I already wrote about it before but a special highlight for me is the sound design and soundtrack, great stuff and I'm glad they nailed it to compliment its visuals and art style.
Nitpicky as it may be, I hope they add William's grunts from the alpha build back in. He sounds so tame now, and while not necessarily indicative of anything just yet, there was no option to change voice language in the beta. Soundtrack was indeed solid, considering Ninja Gaiden's has been utterly forgettable.

Oh wow, I didn't realize just how powerful the bull could be when used with guardian talismans. He just pummels the 4 or 5 guys that ambush you under the two guard towers near Onryoki.

Some overall thoughts:

• I'm definitely back in Day 1 after my initial disappointment regarding the Ki pulse dodge change. The removal of it still sucks and all but after (quite painfully) re-learning its systems, it's pretty much as fun as it was in the Alpha for me never having been a top player to begin with.
  • The change to aiming is still crap and feels nowhere near as nice to execute as before, period. The addition/reveal of guns is really cool, I love the Ravenwing rifle. Sniping someone's head clean off is really satisfying.
  • I feel like even after having spent a substantial amount of time with the Alpha, and now even more with the Beta, I've barely scratched the surface of the depth of its systems which is really fucking promising.
  • While visually quite unexciting, the cave level was a lot of fun and the general atmosphere was just as nicely done as the first level. I especially appreciated the soundtrack queue when you reached the large open depths, it had a really cool tonal shift to it that seemed very deliberate. Again, something that bodes very well for the final product I think.
  • I like the familiarity system in lieu of the durability system. I was overly worried about them ripping it out based on the principle but at least it doesn't seem like a half-assed change like the Ki pulse dodge being tossed onto high stance.
  • Twilight versions of levels are a really cool addition and I was pleasantly surprised to find that enemy placements are completely different.
  • I don't know if it's a matter of skill (yet the game tells you to take on crowds is foolish) but the segments that pitted you against crowds, as few as they were, definitely felt rather obnoxious and like the game just wasn't designed for that. Kind of like trying to actually fight two guys at once in Tenchu.
  • Overall, at its core, it really reminds me of a throwback to PS2 games mentality wise which is incredibly welcomed from me at least. It definitely has some minor flaws here and there but it seems like the best of the Tenchu, Souls, Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden worlds mixed together quite seamlessly.
  • I already wrote about it before but a special highlight for me is the sound design and soundtrack, great stuff and I'm glad they nailed it to compliment its visuals and art style.

The music in the last area was very tranquil, loved it.. it seemed a bit odd for that tough section though.

wiibomb

My goodness... I'm so mad.

How I'm I supposed to beat the second boss with those attacks and the stupid paralysing move? I mean, it hits so easily and I'm dead with no posibility of doing anything. I'm wasting the neddles because as soon as I use them, she hits another one again.

Any tips?

How I'm I supposed to beat the second boss with those attacks and the stupid paralysing move? I mean, it hits so easily and I'm dead with no posibility of doing anything. I'm wasting the neddles because as soon as I use them, she hits another one again.

Any tips?

Just run around, you can do it even in lock on. When she whiffs her attacks, you can go after her.

Nitpicky as it may be, I hope they add William's grunts from the alpha build back in. He sounds so tame now, and while not necessarily indicative of anything just yet, there was no option to change voice language in the beta. Soundtrack was indeed solid, considering Ninja Gaiden's has been utterly forgettable.

Hmm, any youtube vids you can show highlighting this? I can't recall any differences from memory.

Any tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCXa1ROvZig

A boss guide. It's helped othersl. It's 10 minutes but it really breaks down things step by step.

wiibomb

Just run around, you can do it even in lock on. When she whiffs her attacks, you can go after her.

Had to ask for help since I was running out of time to finish the demo. Thanks for the tip.

Is the Mark of the Warrior the DLC I needed to download? I thought it was the Mark of the Strong.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, that's annoying. I massively trimmed down my suggestions :(

The lock-on in the Alpha allowed you swing freely in any direction, which made dealing with multiple enemies an absolute breeze. It really needs to be an option in the full game.
An option, OK, but I don't want to go back to that. If you want to deal with multiple mobs and swing freely in any direction, do not use lock-on. You don't even need it if you intend to manually aim your attacks anyway! Lock-on is, as the name says, meant to lock on a target. With the old system I'd constantly whiff even while locked-on because it was too sensitive in checking the direction I was pushing the analog stick on. I died so many times because of the whiffing in the alpha, and it was incredibly frustrating.

I love the beta infinitely more mostly because they changed the lock-on system. The other major change I was happy with is losing the durability, and the improvement to the camera, but the change to the lock-on is the #1 reason. Now I feel like my attack connects when they should, and miss when they should, like I'm fully in control.

Ramune

Got home and by the GODS I'm going to beat this 2nd mission. So close!!! ^_^
Just wish I found this 3rd temple station sooner!

Edit: Finally! ;)

Opa-Pa

Had to ask for help since I was running out of time to finish the demo. Thanks for the tip.

Is the Mark of the Warrior the DLC I needed to download? I thought it was the Mark of the Strong.

They show up with different names on the store for some reason, but that's the one yeah.

BBboy20

I did it...

OWCcaww.gif

cuilan

Finally cleared the first mission in the Samurai's Souls beta earlier and unlocked the DLC.

That first boss was pretty tough, if this were an actual Souls game, I'd rank it among the toughest. On the other hand, the enemies were pretty easy. I think the major factor contributing to the boss feeling so difficult was the wide variety of attacks it had, made it challenging to learn and adapt to. Perhaps that boss encounter was balanced more towards co-op? I didn't try any multiplayer features in the beta, so I can't say for sure.

In terms of stage design, the first area was mostly good. The only blemishes were the first half which had a whole side area that didn't seem to serve much purpose, and a rather redundant shortcut around the middle of the 2nd half.

I have mixed feelings about the stance system. It makes sense considering the context of the game, and could add some interesting dynamics in multiplayer, but when playing solo I never felt the need to make any use of it outside of the boss battle.

Combat with ranged weapons is way more satisfying here than in any of the Souls games. It makes getting back into farthest areas a breeze by comparison.

The Ki recovery system is nice. It makes me wish the Souls games had something similar.

While I like being able to obtain item drops from destroying scenery objects, I feel this can unbalance encounters, especially in boss rooms where getting extra elixirs can end up making all the difference.

I dunno, I think the combat system in general could do with some streamlining, balanced out by having a wider variety of weapon categories (like one for kusarigama/chain-based weapons). Most likely too late to make such major changes now though. In any case, it's not a major issue as it is now.

Anyways, I really enjoyed what I played of the beta, and I'm pretty sure I'll pick this game up at some point.

BHK3

Banned
Apparently you have to beat the whole demo to get the new dlc. It timed out on me as I beat the first boss and I already have mark of the conqueror, oh well.

Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about the tiny character limited in the feedback.

Good thing I slotted half of my suggestions into the other questions lol!

Top Bottom