• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

Ogawa-san

I'm glad it's ending, now I can go back to playing other things.

KT has some great demos, I've played this and the two Toukiden ones for longer than some full games.

Shakala

I used a mix of Low and Mid stance stay the hell away from High Stance.

If shes doing that growl/shout thing shes about to throw that stun move out at you so be already moving left or right and ready to tap X then move in for a single jab.

Best time to get hits in is right at the end of her combos, the over head kick and the spin attack net me 2 heavy hits before i backed off. When she was flying at me i dodged out the way and heavy hit from the back for double damage 2 times before backing off.

If shes in the air and making no vocal noise keep you guard up other wise be ready to dodge 2-3 stun moves.

I was using a spear no other items apart from the odd elixir used.

I cheesed her with high stance dual katana lol. Wind Storm II is op

Tarkus

I finally beat onryuki. The throwing range and hitbox are definitely off. Theres no way he could hit me from across the room. I'm sure they had this boss turned up for beta.

zma1013

I made a boss guide on her, going through it step by step. Hopefully you find it useful.

http://youtu.be/OCXa1ROvZig

Thanks alot, that helped immensly, worked on the second try.

It took a while to whittle her down, I think I may have been a bit underleveled or undergeared but I barely got hit so it all worked out.

Generally I would figure this sort of strategy out on my own but I wanted to make sure I got to the end to get the DLC bonus in time.

Thanks a bunch, great safe strat. Thumbs up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm, I beat Mission 2 in co-op. Does that not count towards the Mark of the Strong? I'm guessing not, since I didn't get a prompt.

EDIT: False alarm. I got no prompt, but it was available in the main menu.

Opa-Pa

I started the beta either way and I'm guessing it's not detecting my mark of the conqueror thing because it's not letting me skip the first level.

I want to play this but I don't feel like rushing through this level for a third time just to play the rest :|

zma1013

I just finished doing the survey and I told them to put in default health regen, waypoint arrows onscreen, brief invincibility after taking a hit, bloody screen when taking damage, and some chromatic abberation for good measure. You're welcome.

Shakala

I just finished doing the survey and I told them to put in default health regen, waypoint arrows onscreen, brief invincibility after taking a hit, bloody screen when taking damage, and some chromatic abberation for good measure. You're welcome.

You're a monster

^
Yeah my Friend had a similar false alarm when I matchmake with him to clear the new zone. My heart sank for a moment cause we spent nearly 2 hours clearly the whole zone only to die at the boss and had to restart.

Thanks alot, that helped immensly, worked on the second try.

It took a while to whittle her down, I think I may have been a bit underleveled or undergeared but I barely got hit so it all worked out.

Generally I would figure this sort of strategy out on my own but I wanted to make sure I got to the end to get the DLC bonus in time.

Thanks a bunch, great safe strat. Thumbs up.

Glad to hear it. I was using some free editing software and some random Sony fisher-price cam corder mic, but I'm glad it worked out despite the low production value. I generally think, at least for people starting out - to make boss guides that break down basics and safe, cerebral play - moreso than high level confusing shit that just intimidates people.

Make sure you grab the DLC before the beta ends.

...I regret helping you.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
so beat the flying lady, is "Tachibana Muneshige" the last level of the beta not counting the twilight stuff?

Man, Legion is taking all my gaming time right now and didn't even get to touch the beta. I hope mark of the strong bonus ain't anything super cool :(

Velikost

BOYS I DID IT. Made a post on reddit and someone was kind enough to carry me through both levels.

Not that helpful since the beta's about to end, but we figured out it is possible to help someone who is still on the first level when you don't have access to the Yokai shrine thing on the main map screen. Just set your passphrase on the map screen, have the host load the first level and place a cup on the shrine, and then whoever is joining choose to search on the first level. I dont remember the exact settings since he was the one doing it, but you perform a random search, but since you both have a password set it guarantees you will both match up.

We were able to complete the first mission this way with him showing up as a visitor, and then do it the "proper" way for the second mission with the revive mechanic and all that.

I started the beta either way and I'm guessing it's not detecting my mark of the conqueror thing because it's not letting me skip the first level.

I want to play this but I don't feel like rushing through this level for a third time just to play the rest :|

Same thing happened to me. Sucks; sorry dude

What about quick saves and checkpoints?

Veelk

Banned
So I decided to not download mark of the conquerer or whatever for both missions because I was like "oh, I'll check it out later." Now I can't seem to find where to dl them.

Velikost

So I decided to not download mark of the conquerer or whatever for both missions because I was like "oh, I'll check it out later." Now I can't seem to find where to dl them.

Should be on the main menu, after you press start, there will be a prompt in the upper right hand corner saying you have beaten the levels and to press square to download your rewards.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Jesus holy christ the last section of twilight version of the grass level is beyond ridiculous. Good lord.

Managed to beat the 2nd boss a few hours ago... literally one hit at a time. Is that the most viable strategy? Because at least with Onryuki I was able to get full combos in before having to back off.

With Hino, I had to show an unbelievable amount of restraint. It was kind of off-putting lol

Haunted

Managed to beat the 2nd boss a few hours ago... literally one hit at a time. Is that the most viable strategy? Because at least with Onryuki I was able to get full combos in before having to back off.

With Hino, I had to show an unbelievable amount of restraint. It was kind of off-putting lol
Well, it obviously depends on your weapon and stance.

I was able to get in 2-3 hits and dash out in time after each of her combos with dual katanas, mid-stance.

Jamiaro

I answered the survey.

Twilight-stages could a harder, twin katanas need balancing and Revenants need to be way harder/give less loot. Other than that, no real issues. :)

Haunted

Jesus holy christ the last section of twilight version of the grass level is beyond ridiculous. Good lord.
Yeah, that was a rush. So many close calls during my successful run. :lol

It definitely felt like an optional thing and I don't expect anything on the main path in the final game to be as crazy.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Yeah, that was a rush. So many close calls during my successful run. :lol

It definitely felt like an optional thing and I don't expect anything on the main path in the final game to be as crazy.

I have a question though. It seems I'm unable to progress to the Twilight version of the Cave level unless I beat this.

Or have I missed something?

EDIT: Huh. It's open now. What the hell?

I answered the survey.

Twilight-stages could a harder, twin katanas need balancing and Revenants need to be way harder/give less loot. Other than that, no real issues. :)

:O

Solobbos

Just found out there's actually two marks to collect, not just one. Is the other one easy to get after completing the first mission and the first side mission?

Haunted

I have a question though. It seems I'm unable to progress to the Twilight version of the Cave level unless I beat this.

Or have I missed something?

EDIT: Huh. It's open now. What the hell?

:O
I think the main twilight missions rotate daily, so not every twilight mission is available every day.

I answered the survey.

Revenants used to be harder in the Alpha. The difference between the alpha and the beta version of the one in the caves to the left side of the boss boat in the first level (mouthful) is like night and day, plus they even put a corpse down there to 'earn' a purple sword without having to put up a fight. Some real questionable concessions were made for the game's difficulty.

Is there any way to get cups, on the last shrine of the second mission? I'm just completely unable to proceed.. the boss is ridiculous, and anything between her and me is ridiculous.

Baalzebup

Is there any way to get cups, on the last shrine of the second mission? I'm just completely unable to proceed.. the boss is ridiculous, and anything between her and me is ridiculous.

You can get cups from beating up the revenants from the graves. But have you found the 3rd shrine in the level? Because there should be exactly one archer that you kill on the way to the boss and nothing else, if you've cleared the way of the one-off spawns.

So I beat Hino Enma and I'm humbled by light armor and stamina recovery set. Man I was running circles around her. Oh lord, light as a feather.

Heartfyre

Managed to beat Hino-enma last night. There was really nothing for it besides fighting and losing 30+ times in order to practice flawlessly dodging all of her attacks. I found that if I messed up once, I may as well just put down the controller since I was either paralysed by the purple spheres or paralysed by lack of stamina, both meaning that I was a dead William no matter what.

But I did it, and got that DLC item. I love the game but I've come to accept that it won't be a well-balanced, considered one like the series it's inspired by. Yet for all its blemishes, those flaws give it a distinctive character that I wouldn't trade away. If From aren't making more Souls, I'm glad we're seeing others take up the mantle.

This game is too good. I'm going to miss it when the beta goes offline tomorrow :(

I decided what the hell and started a new game with a different build. Went heavy on the ninjitsu and used a regular Katana instead of a hammer. I'm really loving the explosion route I took. Although it was a bit tough in the beginning when multiple enemies would just destroy me. Now I use a smoke bomb and then a mega bomb to hit the largest target and they go down quick.

Can't wait for this to release.

Snowballo

I have a few questions:

1. How is this beta compared to alpha? Even longer? How long?

2. I just started (while I'm playing DS3) and I find this Nioh to be more fresh and fun compared to DS3, am I the only one? I'd like to have a feedback from people that beated both this demo and DS3

Thanks.

Kudo

I have a few questions:

2. I just started (while I'm playing DS3) and I find this Nioh to be more fresh and fun compared to DS3, am I the only one? I'd like to have a feedback from people that beated both this demo and DS3

Thanks.

1. Even longer, but they share the same first stage so your time may vary. Second stage provided is quite bit bigger. If you want to do all stages and the Twilight versions of them you can probably get more than 12 hours out of the demo.

2. It's more challenging and fresh as there's loads of new mechanics that DS3 doesn't have, doubt you're the only one who finds it more fun.

I have a few questions:

Thanks.

1. If you play everything it's a little more than twice as long

2. Yes. Just simply Yes. The whole time I was playing DS3 I was thinking about Nioh.

I'm going to give a more in depth feedback here for people to review before sending it to the Developers, in case I missed out anything.

BBboy20

Are all weapon-based attacks possible to catch? I so want to defeat that samurai doing that but I was only successful in catching a swing once.

Top Bottom