• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

Are you pressing R1 to restore some of it? That really goes a long way in managing Ki.

Twilight mode is amazing. Was not expecting
a mimic.
The reward is A+, also.

Be ready to dodge the wave when she screams. Bait out her attacks / only attack after a third swing (if you really want to play it safe.) Guard her spin. Don't get too greedy with punishes, 1-2 attacks is plenty.

Stay in low stance while not attacking her, low stance consume less ki on dodges, and if you have Mind Eye(dual swords) ability dodging in low stance make her spin aoe attack useless.
I gave up last night, but my first go at her today and shes down. I finally got a good feel for all of her moveset and how to avoid them. Was much more more patient today, as I wasn't super frustrated like I was yesterday. I added Mind's Eye too which probably made a difference. Time to fill out the survey and wait for full release!

jayu26

Dude, nobody does this. I don't get it. Is it a Dark Souls thing? Where people mash the evade button and wonder how come I'm not insta winning?

Just hold X people, you can Sprint while locked on. Its the single most important thing to know next to ki pulse.

They really need to make that a separate tutorial prompt. Because again, nobody does this. Hinoemna becomes like 3000 times easier when you realize almost all of her attack cans be avoided if you just circle Sprint, not just circle strafe.
I agree. I just defeated her by being a pansy. I wish I could be as good as some of you guys when it comes to all the flashy stuff.

Newboi

Getting to grips with Nioh's combat system was a blast. I have to say though, mid stance kitana parry is darn near broken against revenants non-yokai enemies.

For the bosses, it seems like using high stance + triangle for single hit and evade was the most profitable. I finished both bosses extremely quickly that way. High stance heavy hits murder boss stamina.

I thought the dual katana's would steal me away with their extremely fun and fast moveset, but the Raikiri + mid stance parry is just too good!

I would have liked to take the time to get proficient in heavy weapon use. They are more of a fun distraction or boss finishing item for me right now.

Steenbock

Neo Member
Completely forgot to ask this in my post:

Is there a prerequisite to fulfill before you can purchase Shuriken Shooter or Thrown Blade Technique? It's always just blacked out for me. I've got Veteran status, and the last time I checked, I was pretty sure I had enough Ninjutsu for either of them.

That's what I have been doing and how I've been playing. Fight with medium/heavy, dodge with low.

I ask because I thought it was a different mechanic, turns out it's just dodging in high stance, but why would you want to do that? Way too slow. The game becomes pretty easy (or at least more manageable) once you get use to switching stance mid combat. My favorite mechanic along with gathering Ki with R1.

If you recovered Ki even in low/medium via dodging the game would be broken. You would be able to create space, or stay with R1, while maintaining Ki. From a balance stand point makes sense that the heavy stance is the only one that recovers Ki when dodging. Since it uses so much Ki and the dodge is slow, you kinda need some intensive to use it if your not good at switching stance mid combat. It's a trade off, but it's also mitigated if you master the stance switching mechanic.
Low stance Ki Pulse dodging was indeed more or less overpowered in the alpha build, but it's something that could've easily been salvaged with a tweak or two to bring it down a notch while retaining what made it a fun mechanic. The way Team Ninja handled the Flying Swallow in Ninja Gaiden would be a good example of what they ought to be doing; rather than remove it outright in Black, they lowered its potency as well as changed up enemy behaviour to directly counter instances of it being spammed. Still a strong technique in Black under the right conditions, but no longer the one-beats-all manoeuvre it used to be.

Moving it over to High Stance is just a very poor incentive for reasons we already outlined on top of the so-called upside being only a difference of a single button press. It screams 'slapdash addition' plus they could've added a more logical reward for it that benefits its offensive prowess rather than pointlessly improving something irrelevant in the grand scheme of it all.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This game needs a TON of polish if they are going to try and hit their rumored October release. There's enough that game gets right, but they need to balance a bunch of things out (item usage all being on the same cast time for one) and get rid of these bugs before this gets sent out into the wild.

LAM09

This game needs a TON of polish if they are going to try and hit their rumored October release. There's enough that game gets right, but they need to balance a bunch of things out (item usage all being on the same cast time for one) and get rid of these bugs before this gets sent out into the wild.

I doubt it will be out that soon. Going for a late November/early December, if it actually gets released this year.

Madchad

Just see this thread earlier and downloaded the demo been bang on it since.

Just downed the first boss and was already sold on this game just stuck pre order down and now have to suffer for the release >_>

Btw is there any reason to push hard on level 2 ? Another Mark ?

Just see this thread earlier and downloaded the demo been bang on it since.

Just downed the first boss and was already sold on this game just stuck pre order down and now have to suffer for the release >_>

Btw is there any reason to push hard on level 2 ? Another Mark ?
Yes, the second main mission gives you Mark of the Strong.

Low stance Ki Pulse dodging was indeed more or less overpowered in the alpha build, but it's something that could've easily been salvaged with a tweak or two to bring it down a notch while retaining what made it a fun mechanic. The way Team Ninja handled the Flying Swallow in Ninja Gaiden would be a good example of what they ought to be doing; rather than remove it outright in Black, they lowered its potency as well as changed up enemy behaviour to directly counter instances of it being spammed. Still a strong technique in Black under the right conditions, but no longer the one-beats-all manoeuvre it used to be.

Moving it over to High Stance is just a very poor incentive for reasons we already outlined on top of the so-called upside being only a difference of a single button press. It screams 'slapdash addition' plus they could've added a more logical reward for it that benefits its offensive prowess rather than pointlessly improving something irrelevant in the grand scheme of it all.

Not saying they should add low stance dodging prowess to high stance, that's why I find the act of changing weapon stances mid combat incredibly fun. Trying to master this skill makes Nioh very compelling from a gameplay perspective. Optimizing the particular strengths of each stance, while analyzing the best stance for each situation is incredibly rewarding.

Baalzebup

Do I lose anything when I die?

Not as such, no, but all your amrita is dropped at the place of your death and if you fail to collect your grave marker before dying again, then that amrita is gone forever. Your Guardian Spirit stays at the grave marker "to guard it", so you will also lose the passive buffs you get from your Spirit until you retrieve your shit or die again.

A relatively rare consumable, Summoner's Candle, can retrieve your Guardian Spirit and Amrita from anywhere.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm starting the beta up for the first time. I played through the Alpha and got the Mark of the Conqueror. Is there something I need to do in order for the beta to recognize my save/progress?

Nerokis

XLH back at it again with the savageness

https://youtu.be/d_b68B4t68c

Holy shit. What is this feeling...

Seriously, there's something nostalgic about Nioh. Maybe it's because I was most into character action games during the PS2 era, and it's reminding me of those times. There really is something uniquely satisfying about overcoming Nioh's challenges, and along those same lines, it's pretty cool seeing someone else totally trivialize them with incredible skill.

SonicBoom

I'm loving the game will be day 1 release purchase for sure. I dig the Onimusha + Dark Souls mix gameplay! I'm currently level 27 since I did a ton of grinding yet I'm still enjoying it. What wondering what level were you when you beat the 2nd demo!!????

Madchad

Im on the 2nd boss but man does it troll :/ dont think ill get it before it goes down

Is it midnight or midnight tomorrow night it drops ?

Eh, if I had to choose between let's say a pair of nunchucks vs a slightly different katana, I'd opt for the former every single time. Didn't care for that approach in Dark Souls - which is why I appreciated FROM's approach with Bloodborne - and I wouldn't care for it in Ni-oh when each weapon class brings a myriad of options to the table, especially with how tactile its systems are in unison.

Ideally we want as many options as available, problem is realistically these things cause time and money.

It'll be nice if Team Ninja has a Nunchuck/Tonfa/Kusari-Gama etc. moveset developed, and who knows since they've surprised us with a dual wielding class in the Beta when there's none in the Alpha. I'm just saying that if they don't, it might be easier to have different types within the same class than to make a whole new class and have to balance everything.

This would be different from Dark Souls' approach, using my example with the swords- A Nodaichi would clearly have a different feel than a normal Katana despite having the same movesets.

XLH back at it again with the savageness

https://youtu.be/d_b68B4t68c

Yesterday I was talking about Dark Souls strategies and Character Action game strategies.

In case people were wondering- THIS is what the latter looks like, a constant relentless torrent of assault. Looking at this you would think there's no stamina meter.

Madchad

Oh wow this chick is wrecking me. I cant seem to stay alive long enough to learn anything. Any tips?

I used a mix of Low and Mid stance stay the hell away from High Stance.

If shes doing that growl/shout thing shes about to throw that stun move out at you so be already moving left or right and ready to tap X then move in for a single jab.

Best time to get hits in is right at the end of her combos, the over head kick and the spin attack net me 2 heavy hits before i backed off. When she was flying at me i dodged out the way and heavy hit from the back for double damage 2 times before backing off.

If shes in the air and making no vocal noise keep you guard up other wise be ready to dodge 2-3 stun moves.

I was using a spear no other items apart from the odd elixir used.

Velikost

Any gods around to help me clear the new level. I haven't had time to play since the beta came out, and I want to clear it for the bonus.

I beat the alpha and Im not entirely ass, I'm just supposed to go out in a couple hours so I want to bang this out in the small amount of free time I have

Please help me 😢🙏

I can coop with you if you want some help for that guaranteed DLC.

Does this offer apply to anyone? lol

BBboy20

Oh wow this chick is wrecking me. I cant seem to stay alive long enough to learn anything. Any tips?
*Hammer Advise* Only use High Heavy after dodging her grab. Otherwise, stick with High Light when she does her full offensive melee attack (ends with a vertical forward kick). Maybe use Med or Low Light when she does her timely short blade sweeps. Everything else (as in after every attack not listed here), maybe press the Low attacks once or twice while she is on ground. Have green or blue weight to increase your chances in dodging her stun blasts (if stunned, hold on to Guard in hopes you either stun ends before a close call or you survive a hit that gets you out of said paralysis (like her flying barrage). Maybe try Med High when she is briefly incapacitated on the ground.

Do you think we have to repeat these levels in the full game? Hah.
I'll admit, I didn't feel that rusty replaying the fishing village. (which surprised me)

Trace

Banned
Any gods around to help me clear the new level. I haven't had time to play since the beta came out, and I want to clear it for the bonus.

I beat the alpha and Im not entirely ass, I'm just supposed to go out in a couple hours so I want to bang this out in the small amount of free time I have

Please help me 😢🙏

Does this offer apply to anyone? lol

If you're still here, yea I can help.

Nudull

Banned
Downloaded the demo, downed the two main missions with some help (thank you, Morrigan xD)

It's quite good for a Souls-like. The Warring States fantasy theme gives it a lot of mileage, and playing around with different weapons is fun.

Velikost

Uhh, I beat the alpha, and it's supposed to give you items and let you start at the second level right?

I'm only seeing Isle of Demons on the map. Am I missing something?

Edit: Googled it and apparently this is a known issue, one that clearly wasn't resolved. Fuck.

Managed to do everything I could find in the demo, though oddly the twilight stages were a breeze compared with the normal run through. Definitely picking this up whenever it's released.

Resonance

Has anyone else gotten invisible enemies when they co op with someone?

Happened to me a couple times. I ended up confused because I killed all of the surrounding enemies, but it looked like my co-op partner was fighting an invisible enemy and managed to die somehow

Opa-Pa

Does anyone know at what time they usually takes these down the last day? I know the beta ends tomorrow, but I don't know if that means I only have a few hours to play or the entirety of tuesday.

I had a lot of fun with the alpha and cleared it twice, but I've been busy and forgot I didn't have much time left to start this...

Manu

Well, just uninstalled this. I thought about doing the Twilight missions but I'd rather just play them once the game comes out instead of getting burned now.

Also, I alrady beat samurai guy so that's good enough for me.

Also, when doing the survey, I think letting them know to tell players that you can lock on and sprint at the same time is useful information. When you consider the amount of people that don't do it.

Top Bottom