• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

i-Jest

While I haven't finished the demo, much to my disappointment, my only criticism is the lack of storage for extra items you can't carry. I for one would love a storage for the extra bombs, armors, weapons, or arrows I come across. Not having to worry about inventory management mid game would be a blessing.

While I haven't finished the demo, much to my disappointment, my only criticism is the lack of storage for extra items you can't carry. I for one would love a storage for the extra bombs, armors, weapons, or arrows I come across. Not having to worry about inventory management mid game would be a blessing.

There is but you can only access it on the world map. Press the touch pad in the menu I think.

Managed to beat Hino-enma last night. There was really nothing for it besides fighting and losing 30+ times in order to practice flawlessly dodging all of her attacks. I found that if I messed up once, I may as well just put down the controller since I was either paralysed by the purple spheres or paralysed by lack of stamina, both meaning that I was a dead William no matter what.

But I did it, and got that DLC item. I love the game but I've come to accept that it won't be a well-balanced, considered one like the series it's inspired by. Yet for all its blemishes, those flaws give it a distinctive character that I wouldn't trade away. If From aren't making more Souls, I'm glad we're seeing others take up the mantle.

Did you try the anti-paralysis spells available? That particular attack only does some damage that way, nothing big.

I did the Souls thing and really read through everything available to upgrade etc. and found it before I got to her. There is also gear that helps with paralysis resistance.

The punishments can still be brutal sometimes so I don't disagree with you. The fucking grab she does is bullshit.

LAM09

Beat the second main level last night. The boss seemed rather easy once I got used to her patterns and didn't get greedy with my strikes.

SomTervo

Was busy last night and seeing Animal Collective tonight, so I will never get a chance to finish the Beta :(

On Sunday I teamed up with someone who steamrolled me through the whole last level - and died at the last hurdle. Couldn't find him again and never got someone that useful again - didn't have time to git gud with the last boss - so I fell at the final hurdle, folks.

Feels bad man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3Nz4q5o-4

It might slack the odds in your favor heavily if you use the Sloth Tailsman like he did to slow down his attack animation.

I never thought about using Sloth to practice parrying or Back Wave before, should've done that, damn.

On another note, I was a cheap bastard and poisoned his ass with poison shurikens while he was running towards me at the start of the fight. Was a consistent 116 HP damage hit for quite some time.

My feedback so far:

Controls- I'm disappointed that the bow controls were changed from the Alpha. In the full game, I would like to see the aim action mapped to L2. I would also welcome a return of the quickshot option on R2 for ranged weapons. Switching between item shortcuts can remain mapped to L2, but only when holding R1 in, since that is the shift button already being used for switching between stances and weapons. Different ammunition types can either be mapped to the various shoulder buttons while holding L2 (L2+R2 for regular, L2+R1 for fire, L2+L1 for whatever other type) or you can hold L2 and use the DPad to switch ammunition types. Personally, I would prefer the first method, so that you can use the DPad while holding L2 to aim items with precision (getting a headshot with a shuriken or kunai for additional damage).

I believe putting points into the stat used for Onmyo magic should both reduce cast times for buffs/debuffs and increase their duration.

Fire shuriken count should be increased by 1 per level of the jutsu and maybe have the cost reduced by 1 per level. Currently, the Iga-style koruku-dama is simply a better value, especially because each one can damage multiple enemies and the speed is only slightly slower than the fire shuriken.

The shuriken shooter skill should give you a certain percentage chance to use your projectiles without taking one from your inventory (similar to the unlimited ninjutsu stat/shadowround talisman). Perhaps make it a 3-tier skill in the skill tree with each tier upping that percentage.

Right so Feedback for the Nioh Beta I'm thinking of something like this but let me know if there's any small issue I might over looked, particularly the general issues:

Range Weapon Control
1) Problem: The new controls is unintuitive and very hard to use while aiming at a moving target
Possible Solution: Make R2 the Item Quick Select change, Make L2 the aim button. R2 would then be the firing button only in Aim mode. Switch ammo, or possibly even include range abilities (like a charged shot), with the face buttons (Square/Triangle/Circle/X)

Ninjutsu, Onmyou and Guardian Spirits
1) Problem: Jutsu capacity too restricting in early game, Hard to experiment
Possible solutions: [1] Remove Jutsu Capacity as abilities are already restricted by item slots. [2] Decrease Capacity requirements or Increase Capacity points gain per level. [3] Allow more options to gain Ninjutsu/Onmyou skill points.

2) Problem: Buffs and De-buffs are too short to make use of their abilities.
Possible Solutions: [1] Increase buff times to 60 seconds. [2] Increase debuff effects on enemies to 45seconds, DoT and paralysis remain the same. If there is PvP, keep debuffs at 25 seconds.

3) Problem: Guardian Spirits rarely utilized in normal encounters, and therefore questionable if it's a viable character build
Possible Solutions: [1] Allow more abilities to involve Spirit Guardians, the Tailsman to summon them is a good start, maybe have different summoning tailsman do different things? Or expand on the movesets of each Guardians?

Stances
Focus the three stances into three playstyles
Low Stance -> Fast paced player, weak but fast with good dodges (Recovers Ki from dodging)
Mid Stance -> Cautious player, All rounder with strong blocks (Recovers Ki while blocking)
High Stance -> Aggressive player, Slow but Big damage and staggers (Recovers Ki after a kill or a 'execution' attack)

Weapons
1) Suggestion: Add a few more Fighting Styles- [1] Flesh out the Bare hand style by giving it more moveset, perhaps specialize it in getting rid of the enemy's Ki? [2] Add a Kusarigama fighting style... I know you still have them from Ninja Gaiden!

2) Suggestion: Within existing Weapon Types have different variations- [1] Example for in addition to normal Katana, have a Nodaichi as well. They would share most of the same moveset as a regular Katana, but slower with more reach and damage. Or a Naginata could have a similiar moveset as the spear but a shorter reach and faster speeds. These variations could also scale towards different stats, which would expand build variety.

General Issues
- Increase base Elixir number back to 4
- Place NPC vendors in the zones that sell rarer consumables, or just allow the sale of these items with another vendor at the hub world

Multiplayer
Main issue: Allow character creation for multiplayer purposes. It's very jarring is everyone is just Willaim. Also include a female gender option.
Small Suggestions:
- Allow Voice Chat in Co-Op
- Increase Co-op to 3 Players
- Add a PvP dueling arena zone
- No Dark Souls invasions, but add an item to allow players to be summoned as Revenants. Mark their graves as a different colour.

Baalzebup

3) Problem: Guardian Spirits rarely utilized in normal encounters, and therefore questionable if it's a viable character build

Isn't this, first and foremost, a player issue? The Guardian Spirit charges so fast that it can be used multiple times per level if one chooses to do so. Mostly it goes unused because people either forget about it, or fall to the usual "I might need it later" over-conservation of resources. In the basic Isle of Demons, one could use the spirit on every single Yoki they encounter, open the last shortcut, use the shrine once and kill a few mooks to again have a full tank for Onryoki.

It can even act as the great equalizer if one is caught in a group fight since the active Living Weapon gauge is replenished by kills.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I really loved this beta and got into it way more than the alpha. I didn't have time to play it over the weekend so I finished up that 2nd boss last night. I beat her once and the fucking thing froze during the cutscene after. Finally beat her a 2nd time with someone summoned who spammed poison shurikens on her lol.

Day 1 on the full game.

spliced

I have a few questions:

1. How is this beta compared to alpha? Even longer? How long?

2. I just started (while I'm playing DS3) and I find this Nioh to be more fresh and fun compared to DS3, am I the only one? I'd like to have a feedback from people that beated both this demo and DS3

Thanks.

One thing I really enjoy with Nioh vs DS3 is the high damage attack, either one big hit or super fast multi hits that add up to big damage. Playing DS3 feels more like I'm doing death by a thousand cuts.

Final thoughts on the beta, now that I've done everything (some things multiple times):

• I appreciated the tone down in difficulty, I think. At the very least, I wasn't getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter every 5-10 seconds, so it's not quite as frustrating as the alpha was at times.
  • On that same note, very glad that bosses aren't total damage sponges anymore. That and the durability system made the first boss fight alone a huge chore in the alpha.
  • Hino-enma was pretty fun to fight, though the paralysis does suck.
  • Tachibana Muneshige is probably the best designed boss in the game so far. Fair but challenging, and a very satisfying fight.
  • Twilight missions are an awesome addition, and the difficulty is really satisfying. However, I'm not a fan of them changing every day. Twilight missions should always be available IMO. I would wager that if the current system was kept in the final game, waiting for Twilight missions would eventually become incredibly annoying as you get more missions throughout the game.
  • I'm iffy on the minion adds during boss fights in Twilight mode. I didn't really mind them in the Onryoki fight since Onryoki is such a huge target, but I'm less enthusiastic about it in the Hino-enma fight since she's human sized, always mobile, and can easily fly out of your sight.
  • I think everyone's covered bow controls to the death, but yeah, they need to change, even if I got used to them/approached them differently with time.
  • I liked the low stance ki recovery dodge in the alpha, and would like to see it return in the final game, but at the same time, I can see why it was removed. Dual katanas feel like an acceptable replacement though, since they're so much fun to use.
  • This is probably only true for the beta, but I noticed that after getting early level-ups in stats you need to wield weapons and a couple of levels into Spirit for the extra Ki recovery buff that Kato gives you, it's definitely optimal to pump levels into Dexterity (Ninjutsu) and Magic (Onmyo) because of the really good passive buffs/jutsu they give to the player. I doubt this will be true for the full game, but it's worth noting in the beta.

Not sure if this has been discussed before:

When you can choose between Twilight and Regular mission status, there seem to be more 'slide panels' than two and there's an indicator reading 1/2 or 2/2 on the bottom right.

I was wondering if there will be even more 'versions' and variations based on other modifiers of some levels in the final version. Something about it made me think this might be a possibility when looking at the select screen.

Either way, would be really cool because even the Twilight versions milk some serious mileage out of the levels. I really loved that addition.

Glad I remembered this in time. Thought it was ending the 9th but got the 2 stages beat yesterday not realizing it was the last day I had. Just cheesed it with spear though so didn't get to see how the other weapons were, but oh well.

Opa-Pa

Just cheesed it with spear though so didn't get to see how the other weapons were, but oh well.

Are spears significantly safer/easier? I've been mostly rolling single and dual katana myself.

I gave up trying to get my mark of the conqueror from the alpha to work last night and just started over, took me surprisingly long given that at a point I beat it in like half an hour in the alpha... It's still significantly easier, tho.

I'm a bit worried that they haven't changed the first boss, it wasn't fun the first time and it isn't now either. What bothers me is that it sort of feels like a regular oni with more HP, it's hard to explain. But it's very damage spongey and I'm not sure his hitboxes are right. I hope the second one is better. Tried that side mission too and got to the part where you fight two black onis lol, no thanks.

Lock on is definitely one much needed improvement, but the bow confuses me, and I'm not sure getting rid of durability completely was the right call, but I'll take it over the mess that it was in the alpha.

I'm liking level design a lot too, but enemy placement not so much. It's especially weird at the beginning of the first stage... But we'll see how I feel after I finish it.

Are spears significantly safer/easier? I've been mostly rolling single and dual katana myself.

I really have no idea since after getting my first one I just stuck with it. It's medium stance strong attack is a fast long reaching poke that I did over and over to most things and you get a parry in medium stance as well. Felt cheap to me and I was hoping to have more time to try out the other weapons, but just happy I was able to get in before the servers went down.

That side mission isn't that bad, it's just that fighting more then one thing at a time becomes less fun and more tedious. Also might be better with different weapons/more skill but got me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3Nz4q5o-4

It might slack the odds in your favor heavily if you use the Sloth Tailsman like he did to slow down his attack animation.

Well, that's cool as shit.

I was psyched I got to beat the last boss before it ended, but I did wanna try and finish off that samurai dope too.

Idk about everyone else, but Hammers/Axes seem super powerful in this game. If you are careful with your punishes, they feel like a great weapon.

I do feel like the Hold /\ spin attack should stagger enemies. Otherwise its kinda worthless and just begs to be punished.

Opa-Pa

So I made it to the second boss!...

... While carrying two levels worth of ki! Ugh, has anyone trying using travel amulets during boss fights?

I haven't found the third shrine either, damn this level is intense. I like the idea of a smaller, combat focused level though, and wow the atmosphere in this game is surprisingly good. The music in the caves is great.

It's still on? I might be able to get DLC 2, after all.

It is, I'm playing right now. US region.

Btw thanks for the suggestion theslacker. I tried the spear and had a way easier time going through the second stage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is a storage but it's only accessible from the world map.

Except for the extra elixirs which are sent automatically to storage. Weird.

In the feedback people should talk about this. Every extra item (firebomb, antidoe etc.) should be sent to storage automatically, and when you die/respawn, it should refill from your storage. Kind of like Bloodborne but better (since in BB it was just vials and bullets). Thoughts?

test_account

XP-39C²

In the feedback people should talk about this. Every extra item (firebomb, antidoe etc.) should be sent to storage automatically, and when you die/respawn, it should refill from your storage. Kind of like Bloodborne but better (since in BB it was just vials and bullets). Thoughts?
I might remember wrong, but i think Dark Souls 3 automatically refills your items on the hot bar. I'm positive that it does it with Prism Stones at least. But yeah, i prefer this way. Happened a few times later in the beta that i had to start dropping items to be able to pick up new things.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I might remember wrong, but i think Dark Souls 3 automatically refills your items on the hot bar. I'm positive that it does it with Prism Stones at least. But yeah, i prefer this way. Happened a few times later in the beta that i had to start dropping items to be able to pick up new things.
True, DS3 does do that. I had forgotten it had an item limit, actually, but yeah.

I asked for exactly this in my feedback survey response last week.

test_account

XP-39C²
True, DS3 does do that. I had forgotten it had an item limit, actually, but yeah.
I dont like to drop stuff eventhough that i would most likely never use it. I like to collect every unique item that i can :) But if they offer an easy solution for moving items to a unlimited storage box, i would be ok with that as well.

I still have yet to figure out how to do...well anything...at the Blacksmith. I know there's an explanation but something's not clicking.

SonicBoom

I'm on the last boss and got to beat her!!!

What time does the demo end tonight since I live on East coast??? 12pm Pacific time zone which would be 3am EST ?? Anyone know???

Baalzebup

I still have yet to figure out how to do...well anything...at the Blacksmith. I know there's an explanation but something's not clicking.

I and Espada have both made quite a few posts on that front. It isn't super complicated once you figure out the fact that the weapon abilities are grouped in a certain way and any given weapon can only have one ability from each group. The Re-Forging is straight out just re-rolling the abilities on the weapons and armor, while the Soul Matching allows one to both level up gear, and transfer over the abilities that bear the mark indicating that the ability is transferable.

HORRORSHØW

Soul match or whatever it's called allows you to level up your gear. Place the gear you want to level up in the first slot, the place a higher level gear in the second slot. It's going to consume the higher level gear and take your familiarity back to zero. It's great for leveling up purple gear that you like.

The other option is just to reroll attributes.

I and Espada have both made quite a few posts on that front. It isn't super complicated once you figure out the fact that the weapon abilities are grouped in a certain way and any given weapon can only have one ability from each group. The Re-Forging is straight out just re-rolling the abilities on the weapons and armor, while the Soul Matching allows one to both level up gear, and transfer over the abilities that bear the mark indicating that the ability is transferable.

HORRORSHØW;216061101 said:
Soul match or whatever it's called allows you to level up your gear. Place the gear you want to level up in the first slot, the place a higher level gear in the second slot. It's going to consume the higher level gear and take your familiarity back to zero. It's great for leveling up purple gear that you like.

The other option is just to reroll attributes.

I must be an idiot. I placed the higher level gear in the first slot and lower level in the second somehow thinking...I don't know what. And here I was wondering why the hell it didn't work.

Granted, I didn't even access the blacksmith lady for the first time until yesterday night and only played around with for about 2 minutes until I had the itching to slice shit up some more.

Opa-Pa

Got my mark of the strong! The second boss hit a bit too hard for my taste, but it was way more fun and original than the first. I managed to beat her the second time, low weight equipment really does marvels.

Once I got used to fighting the oni I wrecked every single enemy in the caves and then found the third shrine. Felt pretty great.

That was a great beta, I do have my complaints but overall it's a very promising game. Day one for sure.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm not crazy for the game, but as far as betas/demo's go this felt like it really gave a good picture of what the game is and got me interested enough to follow it to release and maybe get it near launch.

Its rough around the edges, but theres enough here that overall I enjoyed it and wanted to keep coming back.

IvorB

I dunno but soul matching felt a bit like cheating in a way. You can just find any crappy high level item from a revenant and use it to boost your nice gear up crazy in strength. After beating Hino, between revenants, soul match and re-forge I was able to gear myself up like crazy.

Some overall thoughts:

• I'm definitely back in Day 1 after my initial disappointment regarding the Ki pulse dodge change. The removal of it still sucks and all but after (quite painfully) re-learning its systems, it's pretty much as fun as it was in the Alpha for me never having been a top player to begin with.
  • The change to aiming is still crap and feels nowhere near as nice to execute as before, period. The addition/reveal of guns is really cool, I love the Ravenwing rifle. Sniping someone's head clean off is really satisfying.
  • I feel like even after having spent a substantial amount of time with the Alpha, and now even more with the Beta, I've barely scratched the surface of the depth of its systems which is really fucking promising.
  • While visually quite unexciting, the cave level was a lot of fun and the general atmosphere was just as nicely done as the first level. I especially appreciated the soundtrack queue when you reached the large open depths, it had a really cool tonal shift to it that seemed very deliberate. Again, something that bodes very well for the final product I think.
  • I like the familiarity system in lieu of the durability system. I was overly worried about them ripping it out based on the principle but at least it doesn't seem like a half-assed change like the Ki pulse dodge being tossed onto high stance.
  • Twilight versions of levels are a really cool addition and I was pleasantly surprised to find that enemy placements are completely different.
  • I don't know if it's a matter of skill (yet the game tells you to take on crowds is foolish) but the segments that pitted you against crowds, as few as they were, definitely felt rather obnoxious and like the game just wasn't designed for that. Kind of like trying to actually fight two guys at once in Tenchu.
  • Overall, at its core, it really reminds me of a throwback to PS2 games mentality wise which is incredibly welcomed from me at least. It definitely has some minor flaws here and there but it seems like the best of the Tenchu, Souls, Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden worlds mixed together quite seamlessly.
  • I already wrote about it before but a special highlight for me is the sound design and soundtrack, great stuff and I'm glad they nailed it to compliment its visuals and art style.

IvorB

[*]I don't know if it's a matter of skill (yet the game tells you to take on crowds is foolish) but the segments that pitted you against crowds, as few as they were, definitely felt rather obnoxious and like the game just wasn't designed for that. Kind of like trying to actually fight two guys at once in Tenchu.
]

I loved fighting more than one opponent at a time. It's proper edge-of-your-seat stuff and you need to be extra careful of space and positioning. Such a rush when you manage it though. The two fire tongue dudes in grass were great to fight.

I loved fighting more than one opponent at a time. It's proper edge-of-your-seat stuff and you need to be extra careful of space and positioning. Such a rush when you manage it though. The two fire tongue dudes in grass were great to fight.

The main issue I had was fighting the goddamn lock-on in those situations. I don't know if I just need to go no-lock, I assume so. I don't remember how the lockon worked exactly in the Alpha other than that you had to block essentially to face the enemy consistently, so not sure if that might be caused by the change to the lock-on?

IvorB

The main issue I had was fighting the goddamn lock-on in those situations. I don't know if I just need to go no-lock, I assume so. I don't remember how the lockon worked exactly in the Alpha other than that you had to block essentially to face the enemy consistently, so not sure if that might be caused by the change to the lock-on?

Well I found you just need to be flexible with the lock-on. Switch between targets if you have to and always manoeuvre so that your opponents are in front of you at all times and keep an eye on when they are likely to attack. Obviously try to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

Isn't this, first and foremost, a player issue? The Guardian Spirit charges so fast that it can be used multiple times per level if one chooses to do so. Mostly it goes unused because people either forget about it, or fall to the usual "I might need it later" over-conservation of resources. In the basic Isle of Demons, one could use the spirit on every single Yoki they encounter, open the last shortcut, use the shrine once and kill a few mooks to again have a full tank for Onryoki.

It can even act as the great equalizer if one is caught in a group fight since the active Living Weapon gauge is replenished by kills.

Yeah, it's just something I toss in there at the last minute so that maybe they could expand on a Spirit Guardian playstyle. I was never a fan of builds that rely purely on the super moves.

Espada

I just took a look at the Ravenwing Rifle's flavor text and apparently it's the favorite gun of Saika Magoichi, and it's engraved with the symbols of his guardian spirit Yatagarasu (a three eyed crow). Apparently this makes its bullets go after a target's weak points.

So we may be getting said spirit in the final game?

Also Bloodporne your point about this feeling like a PS2 throwback is one I have to agree with. The game certainly feels like something from that era, in the best way possible of course.

Don't forget to fill out the survey. My only complaints are: the camera in narrow passages, the skills menu, and I don't like that you can't quit out of a mission without using a consumable. Other that it's the best game I've played this year.

ps3ud0

Damn PSN down so cant finish this - anyone know how far I am on the beta level? Just got to the second shrine
after those stupid bats

I assume the beta closes midnight US, so hoping to finish it before it ends!

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom