• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

JoeFenix

So after the twilight stages there's no more stuff on the demo? I think I cleared it all including the cool fight with the lvl 30 samurai.

There's no twilight version of the cave lvl right?

There is, I think you need to wait until the next day for the twilight missions to refresh before it becomes available.

Not quite certain that's exactly how it works though.

Kinsei

Banned
So after the twilight stages there's no more stuff on the demo? I think I cleared it all including the cool fight with the lvl 30 samurai.

There is. The twilight should move from the first mission to the second one tomorrow.

JJD

Use the rock to funnel them in together then wreck them.

What's been the hardest/toughest parts for you folks who have "completed" the beta?

IMO the twilight version of the last battle on the grass stage.

After you beat the two giants, two wheel monks, a possessed samurai and the dude conjuring floating heads spawn. They gang on you and you can get killed in seconds.

I only won that fight once and I still can't find a good strategy without using the guardian.

There is. The twilight should move from the first mission to the second one tomorrow.

There is, I think you need to wait until the next day for the twilight missions to refresh before it becomes available.

Not quite certain that's exactly how it works though.

Wow, I almost deleted the demo! Good to know, thanks guys!

This game is great.

There is, yesterday it was. I guess the first stage took that privilege today.

As far as I know there's a twilight stage for every level in the Beta. I think they rotate, I had the twilight version of the cave but decided not to do it first.

IMO the twilight version of the last battle on the grass stage.

After you beat the two giants, two wheel monks, a possessed samurai and the dude conjuring floating heads spawn. The gang on you and you can get killed in seconds.

I only won that fight once and I still can't find a good strategy without using the guardian.

I'm a weird one who doesn't use his guardian lol. But yes I agree with you. The last part just fucks with you.

Also, it may seem like it's easier to get ki back but remember there are two of them: a short recover and a long recover. Short can recover a minimal amount of ki but a long one will recover it instantly. Learn to time them to make things easier. They make the same sound but one is flashier than the other. Don't be fooled into thinking you have it down. I keep forgetting about it in the alpha and now the beta.

I feel there should be a toggle between ranged and melee movesets as the bow controls as they are hindering to a style where you might want to move and shoot. My buddy and I figured having L3 toggle the controls into a shooter style scheme would be interesting, especially as that would free up several other buttons to which Team Ninja could expand ranged methods.

Really enjoying the cave level. I was hesitant to Ninja's ability to make consistantly good levels as the second level from last time suffered from poor enemy placement and paths. This level both looks fantastic and switches between aesthetics enough that no one area overstays its welcome.

can i play multiplayer with my friends

Yeah there is co-op in the game, you can summon help

I feel there should be a toggle between ranged and melee movesets as the bow controls as they are hindering to a style where you might want to move and shoot. My buddy and I figured having L3 toggle the controls into a shooter style scheme would be interesting, especially as that would free up several other buttons to which Team Ninja could expand ranged methods.

Alternatively, just holding the aim button and everything would be in range move set. Nobody would be thinking of using items in that mode anyway.

Zambatoh

Can anyone explain the timing of minds eye? It's a low stance dual katana skill that seems to imply that by dodging you are able to...idk can't figure it out.

Mind's Eye usually kicks in right when the enemy's attack is about to hit you. I usually see it happen on accident as I'm not usually trying to trigger it on purpose.
It's main function I guess is to enhance the low stance's evasion capabilities.

Mind's Eye usually kicks in right when the enemy's attack is about to hit you. I usually see it happen on accident as I'm not usually trying to trigger it on purpose.
It's main function I guess is to enhance the low stance's evasion capabilities.

It seems so inconsistent, wasn't there parrying in the Alpha that worked similarly?

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, don't judge what they tweaked down a bit by that first level. The second main mission in particular can be pure hell when you start getting to the bottom of the caves. Which is where I am calling it a night.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just got home and about to jump in where I left off last night. Facing the second boss Hino-enma. She seems lovely, I'll ask her to dinner after I decapitate that big ol heaaad.

Getting strong Budgetborne vibes here. Love the combat, but man, if the presentation isn't rough. Hopefully, they can clean up some of this by launch. Excited to play the full thing.

Zocano

I don't like that ki pulsing doesn't work as an animation cancel that you can string into a different move. Think that's a really dumb move and cripples the skill ceiling on the combat system. Attack > Ki Pulse > Dodge should work way smoother than it does.

I don't like that ki pulsing doesn't work as an animation cancel that you can string into a different move. Think that's a really dumb move and cripples the skill ceiling on the combat system. Attack > Ki Pulse > Dodge should work way smoother than it does.

That's the gamble you've got to take. Do you recover ki or dodge out the way?

And I just encountered a mimic. I love it.

Zocano

That's the gamble you've got to take. Do you recover ki or dodge out the way?

And I just encountered a mimic. I love it.

Like I said, I think it's lowering the skill ceiling to not allow that. Seems like a really obvious thing to have (ki pulsing being an animation cancel move to string moves).

Putting the Dodge ki recovery on high stance and the special move ki recovery on low stance is completely baffling and has severely damaged my will to play through this demo. Really throws a wrench into the game's feel and controls.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeaaah but you and what's that other dude's face are like precise robots when it comes to these games though lol. It'll probably take a normal person 5 minutes, no? xp
Haha it's more because of how strong the dual wield med stance square triangle triangle combo is on Stamina. Drained her almost instantly then spirited her down to about 1/4th health. Could have kept going but she flew up into the air xD

Like I said, I think it's lowering the skill ceiling to not allow that. Seems like a really obvious thing to have (ki pulsing being an animation cancel move to string moves).

You're asking for the equivalent of giving low stance ki roll back.William would just become Vergil again.

Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of them switching the dodge ki recovery to high stance. It really changed the flow of how I play now vs. the alpha. Seems like it's more difficult to put together long strings of attacks between different stances.

Also, dual katanas are ridiculous.

Zambatoh

The Beta is downloading two chunks: one is 4358 GB the other is 6716 GB. What does that mean?

PS4 has the ability to play games while they're installing. But for that to actually work you need to at least have the tutorial level downloaded. The Appdata is whatever comes after that.

PS4 has the ability to play games while they're installing. But for that to actually work you need to at least have the tutorial level downloaded. The Appdata is whatever comes after that.

I see. So it is downloading both the tutorial and then the Beta. I thought this was a kind of a new feature in 4.00.

Zocano

If it's game breaking, it is bad. Cool as hell to watch though.

I don't think something that requires high skill input and timing is "game breaking". Look at anything from DMC. You can call people that "exploit" the combat system to its peak and absolutely wreck everything but that's a lot of effort and practice put in so that they could execute and destroy the game at the highest level. Higher skill ceilings are always better. They moved the skill floor down with this beta but that's not a bad thing. Low skill floors can be good. But they also brought the skill ceiling down which is a huge problem.

decisions

Good to hear some positive impressions from this demo. I can't play at the moment but I loved the first demo and am really hoping for the best with this game, seems like it's all going along smoothly, definitely one of my most anticipated titles.

Is this still supposed to release this year?

Zambatoh

I don't think something that requires high skill input and timing is "game breaking".

It is when it trivializes the whole game.
For example, in the original OG Xbox release of Ninja Gaiden, the flying swallow move was so ridiculously effective that they actually had to "fix" it in the later re-releases and the sequels.
The same thing basically happened here with Low Ki Dodging. It was just too damn effective even at low level play. The low stance often ended up being a much greater force to be reckoned with as a result.

Edit: In response to your edited post, DMC is intentionally designed to be a combo happy game. Nioh was not. The fact that you could do Super Slick Stylish combos in the Alpha was a complete accident on their part. This is why the stam system exists in the first place. To stop you from doing that.

Trace

Banned
How is everyone else dealing with the second boss's spin kick? The rest of the moves I don't have an issue with but fuck me that move sucks.

Kaztinka

You're asking for the equivalent of giving low stance ki roll back.William would just become Vergil again.

and now he's a Bloodborne "hunter" guy/thing
it's not like we have too many Soulsborne games and clones already.....
oh no we didn't get 3 Soulsborne games since 2014 with bunch of DLC's for them, plus like 3 or 4 clones
nope
It's not like we wanted to see stylish videos from dudes like XLHGladiator taking on a million powerful enemy in like 2 min
oh no, let's make that 10 min instead, I guess

IT'S FINE

hqdefault.jpg

Sushigod7

Man I deleted the alpha so had to start at the beginning again finally leveled up got to the ship and used a damn Himorogi Fragment on accident and went back to the beginning. FML haha

Traxtech

Second boss was a bit of a let down, I ended up killing her first go her since everything is telegraphed. Is there another "mark" after the first 2?

Zambatoh

I see you guys talking about the second boss and referring to it as a she. Was Nue removed?

Nue is not present in the Beta no. He might still be in the final game though. Probably.
Instead we get a tengu girl. Though now this begs the question of why they didn't just take this opportunity to use DOA's Nyotengu as a cameo crossover instead.

Top Bottom