• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

Trace

Banned
How can I find items to summon an ally on the new map?
I even restarted the map thinking I would get three again but nothing. I can't defeat the lady boss, no matter what. I can bring her to half energy but dying requires literally a second.

Kill the revenants left by dead players.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beat the entire demo, don't have any real complaints besides some messed up placements of enemies in twilight. Not even that bitter about the low ki pulse thing anymore dual swords was fast and fluid enough.

Blocking still sucks for the most part compared to dodging. If you are going for light armor dodging is almost always the better choice

Majek

If you're looking in the first stage, he's hiding in the house at the beach, the one with a sword Oni inside.
I found that one, i must have missed some other one. Guess i'll just have go through the stage a 3rd time and listen like crazy for the noises it makes. :/

fionel

Hayashi said in the beta testing event that the size of the final game will be about 10x bigger than what's in the beta. I haven't finished the beta yet myself so I don't have a good idea how big that means, but may be interesting to those who have regardless.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012039/20160822004/

edit: It was actually Yasuda, the other director, not Hayashi who said the above.

bigol

I noticed there is still the no stamina animation, i had it plenty of times but it's bit different. It happens when you have no stamina left and are hit. And ki pulse to clean demonic world interferences is still there.

Try the tutorial if you can.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Have fun playing the twilight version! Mhahahahaha.
I just beat this HOLY SHIT this was crazy. Wheel skeletons ain't got shit on those assholes O_O

Still not sure how I won. I tried a few times to unleash the spirit animal but I'd lose it real fast and then I'd get stunlocked to death by the wheelies + fire spirits + that katana guy. Except for the one time where it did work, where I somehow managed to destroy the skeleton mage (seems like he summons the elemental spirits) and the wheelies with my spirit bar and then it was fairly manageable to deal with the samurai.

But yeah that fight is cheaaaaap. Not a huge field to move around in, tons of yokai realm pollution, super quick and aggressive enemies on all sides... I don't even want to try without the guardian, seems impossible. :(

Also that succubus was a bitch. >_< I am not looking forward to the twilight version... But, another day. Been playing for hours on.

This game is gonna rule, y'all.

Majek

LOL how could i miss that kodama in the grass. Oh well, at least i found it so i can go and die a lot on the second main mission now.

bunkitz

Just beat the first boss in the first mission earlier. Did much better this time around than in the Alpha. Died horribly on my first try, though, haha. So now I'm at the second area of the first mission and just realized that the first mission is a lot bigger than I thought. Thinking about how big this entire demo is is kind of blowing my mind right now, knowing that there are still other missions.

I'm really enjoying it, though, and very happily improving bit by bit. Just got a rifle earlier too. Gonna test it out later. I assume it's more powerful than the bow and arrow, but loud?

Is there a reward of sorts for getting all the Kodama in one mission? I think I missed one in the first mission's first area, but I'm not sure how to get to it...

Ludens

Banned
Ok, I defeated the lady finally. Dunno, but in this game you NEED to play perfectly otherwise the minimum error will grant you a reload. I think it should be easier, I mean, I completed all Souls games with not so many problems, but Ni-Oh beta and alpha gave me plenty lol.

Kaisos

I guess I should apologize! I've been playing the beta today and it's actually far harder than it was in the original demo... though that's more because they changed the experience you need to level significantly, I think. I beat Onryoki in the alpha at double the level I did in the beta.

Regardless, the combat mechanics changes really don't hurt the game as much as I thought they would, so that's promising.

I don't understand how this game handles buffer inputs. if I press dash without enough Ki to dash, my character will wait for Ki and then dash anyway, even if I am not rpessing it anymore. yet, if I press up to use elixir while not in position to do so, that input is discarded completely. Makes using elixirs under anys tress feel sticky and unresponsive.

Haunted

Ok, I defeated the lady finally. Dunno, but in this game you NEED to play perfectly otherwise the minimum error will grant you a reload. I think it should be easier, I mean, I completed all Souls games with not so many problems, but Ni-Oh beta and alpha gave me plenty lol.
Nioh is definitely more punishing and more execution-heavy compared to Dark Souls.

It shares many of its qualities about observation and patience, but the way the timing of the combos work and the heavier punishment for misreading attacks and fumbling stamina management means there's a lot less room for error with Nioh compared to Dark Souls.

That said, I don't think they should make it easier, I really enjoyed the challenge of the game in its current beta state.

Jamiaro

Nioh is definitely more punishing and more execution-heavy compared to Dark Souls.

It shares many of its qualities about observation and patience, but the way the timing of the combos work and the heavier punishment for misreading attacks and fumbling stamina management means there's a lot less room for error with Nioh compared to Dark Souls.

That said, I don't think they should make it easier, I really enjoyed the challenge of the game in its current beta state.

This post says everything I love about Nioh. Good stuff!

completed the Twilight Version of the 2nd main mission. it was co-op of course, and thankfully, it only took one go-around. only thing left for me is the Lvl 30 side mission. Fuck bothering with the Twilight Version of that one

ggx2ac

I had to take a break from losing too much yesterday. Now I finally beat "Of withered grass and yokai" while I was level 9.

Kinsei

Banned
In general the block feels strong to me but the first boss destroys your stamina if you try to block it. Didn't play the alpha or get beyond that point yet.

In his first phase that's not a problem. He's so slow that he can't follow up and punish you for being stunned. In the second phase you don't want to block, but the moves are easier to dodge so it's not harder.

Majek

Just when i need a more powerful weapon i encounter a lvl 30 revenant that fell to his death, summon him and he drops me great dual katanas. I love this revenant system. :D Hopefully i'll have as much luck in retail too.

Tsunamo

I got so lucky with the demon lady boss battle. I had a ally but only one full heal item, so I basically had to rely on that while he lured her in and I mostly used ranged attacks/items and play it safe.

Once again I feel like the Alpha though. Despite dying many times, despite not being that great at the game I find myself playing it for hours on end and loving every moment of it. Not too many games have that effect on me or get me to play that often now.
I think it's tough but fair. It really helps if you know the layout and stock up on the right items for battles, but yeah I definitely find it more challenging than Souls.
They fix the mark of the conquerer yet?
What's the problem/wrong?

SomTervo

Played a good hour or so last night.

- performance definitely improved
- there's still a decent stamina-loss punishment, what were people referring to about that being nerfed?
- AI is definitely different. Maybe not harder, but different. More aggressive? I used to be able to steamroll the first few guys using High stance and one or two strong attacks, breaking their guard - but now they attack during my strike-frames, cancelling my animation. Took me a couple of gos to adjust and now it's easy again
- the lack of durability is fucking great, I thought I'd miss it on some level but I don't
- gameplay as fucking good as ever
- haven't tried bow yet so can't comment
- tutorial was really, really effective
- just like in Souls, now I understand my moveset/skills/the level design/the enemies' movesets, I can blow through the level in about a quarter the time it took me first time. Fucking love it.

Tempted to let my GF try the tutorial to see how she finds it. She never plays character action games. She sort of enjoyed Bloodborne but found it a bit harrowing (wasn't in the right mindset).

I don't understand how this game handles buffer inputs. if I press dash without enough Ki to dash, my character will wait for Ki and then dash anyway, even if I am not rpessing it anymore.

I've not noticed this. Will test later.

daammyy

Kinda feels like im overcomplicating things by not just staying in high stance and just poke+dodge stuff. Am i wrong in this? I never played the Alpha.
Cool game tho.

Kudo

I don't understand how this game handles buffer inputs. if I press dash without enough Ki to dash, my character will wait for Ki and then dash anyway, even if I am not rpessing it anymore. yet, if I press up to use elixir while not in position to do so, that input is discarded completely. Makes using elixirs under anys tress feel sticky and unresponsive.

Had this happen many times too, hopefully they'll make using elixirs the top priority cause losing that input most of the times will cost you your life.

SomTervo

Kinda feels like im overcomplicating things by not just staying in high stance and just poke+dodge stuff. Am i wrong in this? I never played the Alpha.
Cool game tho.

There are some enemies that totally won't work for.

(Also it feels absolutely badass swapping stance on-the-fly and picking enemies apart with ease
like a true samurai
.)

Zocano

I hope they haven't shown too much game off before release. Would be a bummer if we've played 1/4 of the content already with the alpha and beta combined. Hope there is a lot of game left to play and they aren't just banking on twilight levels to fill in the rest.

I like the levels alright but I think they're a tad straight forward (literally). Would like a bit more back and forth strictly single corridor path levels (think shulva, latria 3-1). I actually quite liked the second level from the alpha. It was basically a very large square that you had to cross in how you thought would be best and wasn't like the more directed routes of the island and valley.

There are some enemies that totally won't work for.

(Also it feels absolutely badass swapping stance on-the-fly and picking enemies apart with ease
like a true samurai
.)

I like the stance swapping a lot but I wish it was actually more viable. You get punished super hard for trying to do so against sturdier enemies because you get locked in place as you ki pulse. I think it's really silly and punishing those trying to play at a more advanced level. It is just ultimately safer, easier, and more effective to stay mid, hit a few times, back off and repeat. It's basically worthless against bosses with how long it takes.

SomTervo

I hope they haven't shown too much game off before release. Would be a bummer if we've played 1/4 of the content already with the alpha and beta combined. Hope there is a lot of game left to play and they aren't just banking on twilight levels to fill in the rest.

I like the levels alright but I think they're a tad straight forward (literally). Would like a bit more back and forth strictly single corridor path levels (think shulva, latria 3-1). I actually quite liked the second level from the alpha. It was basically a very large square that you had to cross in how you thought would be best and wasn't like the more directed routes of the island and valley.

Somebody on this very page clarified that during E3 they announced about 20 stages for the game - roughly ten times what's in the demo.

JerkShep

I don't understand why but it doesn't seem to recognize my save files from the Alpha. It's the same account and the save files are still on my PS4 so I don't know what's up with that. Did someone have the same issue? Any way to fix it?

Copper

They need to fix the ladder inputs. When I would try sliding down a ladder my character would sometimes go up instead of down. This made me die several times when trying to speed past the fire bomb guy.

Kinsei

Banned
The mimic scared the shit out of me.

I managed to beat Twilight Hino-Enma on my second try. I would have beaten her on my first try but I was standing right where the second enemy spawns as it spawns. That stunned me long enough for both it and the boss to combo me.

Listonosh

This is how I feel as well. I have beaten every single Souls game to date, and I would certainly not call myself an expert or anything, but I would say at this point I'm certainly above average. I'm not quite on the level of playing the whole game as SL1 or anything like that, but Ni Oh gives me the impression that it's required that your mindset needs to be like that. The room for error here is so miniscule imo.

I also found a slight flaw which on paper makes sense, but in execution feels odd. The less armor you wear, the better your stamina management, makes sense. The more armor I wear, the more stamina gets consumed on every attack and dodge, makes sense. What doesn't make all that much sense to me is that the stunlocking on hit happens to you regardless of the amount of armor. I'd be much more inclined to wear light armor and have better stamina management if it meant I could prevent the stunlock animation. Or on the flip side, I might certainly be more inclined to wear heavy armor and maybe not be as proficient in stamina, but then be able to take hits and not be stunlocked. Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just not doing something right?

My main complaint is still the loot. They improved it but it still feels useless and more like busywork instead of anything meaningful. The randomized effects simply don't matter. 3% higher drop rate? -10% Ki on low attacks when critical? who cares? It just doesn't work in this genre. It was terrible in dark siders 2 as well

I don't like the skill trees either. Most of the active skills seem like things that should be available from the start. They should focus more on meaningful passives that are only active if youre using that particular weapon to differentiate them further. The magic and ninja trees are cool though

Gameplay is still fantastic

Baalzebup

I don't understand why but it doesn't seem to recognize my save files from the Alpha. It's the same account and the save files are still on my PS4 so I don't know what's up with that. Did someone have the same issue? Any way to fix it?

The saves don't carry over, simple enough. The Mark of the Conquerer gives you some gold to buy lv.7 gear and allows you to start with the new missions, should you choose to do so. That is the only carry-over from the Alpha.
My main complaint is still the loot. They improved it but it still feels useless and more like busywork instead of anything meaningful. The randomized effects simply don't matter. 3% higher drop rate? -10% Ki on low attacks when critical? who cares?
The random things are generally useless, this is true, but the blacksmith allows you to craft some seriously powerful shit with the Soul Matching and Re-Forging. The gear I've dicked around to make are a clear step up from any usual drop. My weapons do more damage, use less Ki on both attack and block, heal me when I kill something and in a few cases, only get stronger from every kill I make. My current bow heals me whenever I pick off someone with a headshot. All of that is pretty meaningful, IMO.
One thing I love about this game compared to Souls is that my lightning Katana is actually constantly coated in lightning, it's not just some shitty effect that gets applied on hit. It's one thing I wish Bloodborne did too because the effects in that look awesome.
This is only true for the Raikiri, and possibly some other special weapons. Usually, the weapons aren't constantly coated with the effect even if they do elemental damage.

Shin-chan

One thing I love about this game compared to Souls is that my lightning Katana is actually constantly coated in lightning, it's not just some shitty effect that gets applied on hit. It's one thing I wish Bloodborne did too because the effects in that look awesome.

Baalzebup

Tachibana Muneshige wasn't really that hard IMHO, as long as you block his Iai attack which is an unblockable you're good.

It is not. It just eats Ki like crazy, but it is most certainly not unblockable. If you have effects that lessen stamina loss upon block, either as a weapon property or by using the Guardian spirit which does just that (or both), it is possible to have enough Ki to come out of it without being staggered at all.
Oh ok, so he doesn't have any unblockables? I'm sure I tried to block it once with full Ki but maybe my gear or stats aren't high enough to not get hit by that Iai attack.
Since I don't really have any numbers on how much Parry (the weapon value, not the move) affects the raw Ki damage you take from block, it is hard to say how much it does exactly, but I had a set of dual swords with an effect that reduced Ki-loss upon block around 20% and that left me barely in the green with base Ki around 115, using Kaito (+10 Ki, +20% Ki regen) as a Guardian Spirit. All of his moves are blockable, but the Ki loss is pretty crazy. Blocking any two of his really heavy strikes in a row is generally an express ticket to pain and death. Bonus points for the Full Moon somersault thing that hits twice in a very short window.

It is not. It just eats Ki like crazy, but it is most certainly not unblockable. If you have effects that lessen stamina loss upon block, either as a weapon property or by using the Guardian spirit which does just that (or both), it is possible to have enough Ki to come out of it without being staggered at all.

Oh ok, so he doesn't have any unblockables? I'm sure I tried to block it once with full Ki but maybe my gear or stats aren't high enough to not get hit by that Iai attack.

I played last night and still had a lot of fun, but I am kind of sad that they toned the difficulty down so much.

After playing Dark Souls 3 and feeling like it was too easy, I played the Nioh alpha demo and thought "ok this game is bringing what DS lost". Now I'm playing the beta and im like "oh... and its gone again."

Alastor3

They need to fix the ladder inputs. When I would try sliding down a ladder my character would sometimes go up instead of down. This made me die several times when trying to speed past the fire bomb guy.

Say it here: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_us

Kinsei

Banned
I played last night and still had a lot of fun, but I am kind of sad that they toned the difficulty down so much.

After playing Dark Souls 3 and feeling like it was too easy, I played the Nioh alpha demo and thought "ok this game is bringing what DS lost". Now I'm playing the beta and im like "oh... and its gone again."

How far did you get? Hino-enma and Tachibane should give you a challenge.

Top Bottom