• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

I also found a slight flaw which on paper makes sense, but in execution feels odd. The less armor you wear, the better your stamina management, makes sense. The more armor I wear, the more stamina gets consumed on every attack and dodge, makes sense. What doesn't make all that much sense to me is that the stunlocking on hit happens to you regardless of the amount of armor. I'd be much more inclined to wear light armor and have better stamina management if it meant I could prevent the stunlock animation. Or on the flip side, I might certainly be more inclined to wear heavy armor and maybe not be as proficient in stamina, but then be able to take hits and not be stunlocked. Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just not doing something right?

What you are describing is the same issue Demon's Souls had with heavy armor and why they introduced Poise in the Dark Souls games. And I agree, Ni-Oh could use it too. It seems like some enemies have an equivalent of it (the big armored Samurai guys, and the Yokai especially) where if you hit them during an attack animation they won't stagger; you should be able to do the same thing with enough heavy armor. It would at least make Axes and Hammers feel a lot more viable.

Jawmuncher

I got so lucky with the demon lady boss battle. I had a ally but only one full heal item, so I basically had to rely on that while he lured her in and I mostly used ranged attacks/items and play it safe.

Once again I feel like the Alpha though. Despite dying many times, despite not being that great at the game I find myself playing it for hours on end and loving every moment of it. Not too many games have that effect on me or get me to play that often now. I think it's tough but fair. It really helps if you know the layout and stock up on the right items for battles, but yeah I definitely find it more challenging than Souls.What's the problem/wrong?

It's bit importing to people who beat the alpha in NA even with save data. So it's requiring people to do the first level again.

I just want to see the new stuff and not play through that level again.

Shin-chan

I'm really enjoying coop in this demo too. I think the game is hard enough in Twilight that it works better than in Souls because it still retains some semblance of challenge even once you've summoned another player (or get summoned).

Alastor3

Still trying to decide if I should play all of the demo or stop after the first boss, since the game is 10X longer than the demo.

Sayad

Finished almost everything in the demo(Stage 1 twilight not available today apparently so that will have to wait for tomorrow). Other than the slower combat compared to alpha, really not feeling the difficulty.

It's not that the game is too hard or too easy, it's the "design" of the difficulty. The game is only difficult when facing bosses/hoards of enemies that can one hit kill you or stun-lock you to death after a single mistake. Long as you're not getting OHKed, attacks are easily avoidable, and every enemy type(excluding the wheels, but fit under "stun-lock to death") is easy to deal with.

They're making the game harder by blowing up damage modifiers and spamming enemies, not by making interesting difficult enemy types.

-Horizon-

Finally got to play the beta today. Man, I still remember most of these enemy placements lol. Still managed to die 2-3 times though. Got to the shrine in the harbor after the mansion. Will play again later.
And aw, they got rid of the dog spirit guardian for this demo :(

Kinsei

Banned
Finally got to play the beta today. Man, I still remember most of these enemy placements lol. Still managed to die 2-3 times though. Got to the shrine in the harbor after the mansion. Will play again later.
And aw, they got rid of the dog spirit guardian for this demo :(

Lightning pup is still in (along with a new one) but you have to unlock it.

I hope it's the Raikiri you get lol

Screw the Raikiri, give me those sweet fire dual katanas you get from beating Twilight Hino-enma.

chefbags

Anyone know how to access the blacksmith again?

I unlocked it and then went to the sub mission but now I wanna go back and upgrade some stuff but idk how the hell I get back to the map. Thanks for the help in advance!

Mdk7

This game is just SOOOO good.
I think it's pretty much perfect as it is now, I wouldn't want any change at this point.
It's easier than before, true, but the Twilight missions are a delicious pain in the ass, LOL... Even harder than the Alpha.
Also, the Succubus boss was GOOD, she reminded me of Alma from Ninja Gaiden.

BTW, what are those side missions I keep hearing about? How can I find them?

Kudo

Oh ok, so he doesn't have any unblockables? I'm sure I tried to block it once with full Ki but maybe my gear or stats aren't high enough to not get hit by that Iai attack.

At full Ki his Iai depleted all of my Ki and half of my health bar, but I was under leveled for it with shitty gear. The recommended level for the fight is 30, and once you're done with all missions you're probably like 15-20 at best, so you really need to do the twilight missions to be properly geared against him. I didn't want to spend time grinding in demo so I just cheesed him and I can proudly say I have somehow beaten him.

Got a nice perfect sl1 kill on Muneshige Tachibana,
https://youtu.be/EQQEyAsRg9o .

I'm really not a fan of how bosses fights play out in the beta, atleast where spear is concerned ( havent tried the other weapons) .

Light stance is just the best stance to be using 90% of the time, and then punishing with a heavy combo on certain attacks. Ki pulse only useful in stunlock scenarios in the fights aswell.

Light stance is just the best stance to be using 90% of the time, and then punishing with a heavy combo on certain attacks. Ki pulse only useful in stunlock scenarios in the fights aswell.

wild disagreement over that. I just can't see how anything can be better than just grabbing a heavy ass hammer and doing 2 light hits, then ki dodging and seeing if the enemy will react.

Heck, 90% of the time, sq sq tri will completely stun/kill enemies, then ki pulse and downed tri or another 2 square taps to finish them off. Even works with heavy revenants.

At full Ki his Iai depleted all of my Ki and half of my health bar, but I was under leveled for it with shitty gear. The recommended level for the fight is 30, and once you're done with all missions you're probably like 15-20 at best, so you really need to do the twilight missions to be properly geared against him. I didn't want to spend time grinding in demo so I just cheesed him and I can proudly say I have somehow beaten him.

Hm, I'm pretty sure I was between lvl 33 and 35 when I started my first fight with him. I did multiple Twilight Missions beforehand because I saw people were having trouble with him at first.

Kinsei

Banned
Unlock it? Ugh

It better not be till the end game of the demo or something

If you get it right away then you still have 2-3 stages left afterwards to use it on.

Haven't used those because the stats were quite poor, didn't know they had flames.

They're pretty awesome. I'm killing most things before even doing a full combo and oni only take 4-5 hits. I am using a better version that I got as a random drop from Twilight Onryoki though.

Kudo

Hm, I'm pretty sure I was between lvl 33 and 35 when I started my first fight with him. I did multiple Twilight Missions beforehand because I saw people were having trouble with him at first.

Yeah, Twilight missions give you tons of exp, I got to 25lv when I did half of one, but I meant level after doing just the missions in normal difficulty.

Listonosh

What you are describing is the same issue Demon's Souls had with heavy armor and why they introduced Poise in the Dark Souls games. And I agree, Ni-Oh could use it too. It seems like some enemies have an equivalent of it (the big armored Samurai guys, and the Yokai especially) where if you hit them during an attack animation they won't stagger; you should be able to do the same thing with enough heavy armor. It would at least make Axes and Hammers feel a lot more viable.

Ah ok, yeah it's been a while since I've played Demon's, but I guess that makes sense. I think that's really my only issue. Maybe for the iframes to be a bit bigger, but I think that's something I could get used to and learn over time.

But yes, the fact that some enemies can outright take a few hits without being staggered, which allows them to directly retaliate, and immediately stunlock you since you already don't have full stamina due to you attacking them, is shitty.

I don't want my frustration to sound like I don't enjoy the difficulty, I do, but I don't think that particularly feels "fair"

cheesekao

Doe anyone knows how the saboteur skill in the ninja skill tree works? It says it increases my bomb count but I didn't notice any difference.

That's still my preferred method as well although it feels decidedly lamer now with the Ki dodge removed. Ki dodge on high stance is crap, consumes way too much to be useful as a regular tactic unless you're in panic mode.

I was able to combo the shit out of the ship boss in the Alpha, the only thing I found workable in the Beta version's combat (with the katana I have to add) was to step in, get a few hits, back up, wait for opening etc.

I still really hope that SOMEHOW through feedback they'll add the low stance Ki dodge back in but who am I kidding.

IvorB

Didn't manage to play much last night. The lock on change bugs me and I wish they would provide the option to have the old one back. Also THEY DIDN'T FIX THE DORKY RUN!!! WTF?!??!?

Majek

Nah, i'm all for some enemies to be impossible to stagger mid hit. Besides hammer and axes are quite viable already.

Also, poise in Dark Souls games never worked properly, not even in DS1. There was always unfairness present.

Ah ok, yeah it's been a while since I've played Demon's, but I guess that makes sense. I think that's really my only issue. Maybe for the iframes to be a bit bigger, but I think that's something I could get used to and learn over time.

But yes, the fact that some enemies can outright take a few hits without being staggered, which allows them to directly retaliate, and immediately stunlock you since you already don't have full stamina due to you attacking them, is shitty.

I don't want my frustration to sound like I don't enjoy the difficulty, I do, but I don't think that particularly feels "fair"
I thought at least one "unfair" design was standard in Team ninja games? I know i'll get used to it. It won't worse than explosive shuriken spam on highest difficulties in Ninja Gaiden games, especially Sigmas.

I can see why they would put it in high stance though, since that move set consume the most Ki and logically would then require the means to compensate for it.
Eh, still a tacked-on addition all things considering. If you want to regain stamina, you're better off doing a Ki Pulse on the spot for high stance to cancel your recovery frames and if you want to dodge, you're given ample time to switch to the other stances in the middle of your attack animation instead. You never really want to dodge with high stance's roll (like Trace already mentioned) with how long it lasts without the benefit of mass invincibility frames - I'm not saying that it should have those - so in the end high stance dodging leaves you very vulnerable. What would've been a lot less illogical though, is if the energy from a Ki Pulse could be used defensively / offensively in that stance like the one Ki Burst ability you find in the skill tree to briefly stagger some enemies.

I don't like the change to how strong guarding is now. I think it's weirdly at odds with the pace and speed of combat. Like once you realize you can pretty much every boss move, it all just becomes really trivialized. I thought the previous system was better. You *could* block but stronger attacks still ate away at your health. More focus on general avoidance. I think in turn the parry is waaaaaaaaaaay too stiff as well.
Blocking didn't really eat away at your health in the alpha either as a matter of fact, so it's always been a powerful option against enemies / bosses with wide attacks. Huge drain on your stamina though depending on your armor, which it still is, so you're still encouraged to avoid the blows in the first place.

Ok, I defeated the lady finally. Dunno, but in this game you NEED to play perfectly otherwise the minimum error will grant you a reload. I think it should be easier, I mean, I completed all Souls games with not so many problems, but Ni-Oh beta and alpha gave me plenty lol.
No thanks at making it even easier than it is compared now to the alpha. Souls games were never really all that challenging either; punishing if you slip up yes, but they give you plenty of legroom and optional crutches combined with relatively slow action pacing compared to games that are (in)famous for their raw difficulty.

Aikidoka

Only played for a couple hours but I love it so far. Are these skill trees complete? I've already gotten like over 30 samurai skill points, so getting all the weapon skills at least won't take very much time at all it seems. I can't tell if this is a bad thing or not yet.

I do like how the enemies stay aggro'ed on you unlike Soulsborne. For the first shrine area it basically meant certain death if you attracted 3-4 enemies, but at the next shrine I aggro'ed like a group of half-dozen and had a fun time running across the rooftops/ground to eventually kill them all.

edit: also I like the japanese voice over. Will it be that way in the english release?

Kudo

Only played for a couple hours but I love it so far. Are these skill trees complete? I've already gotten like over 30 samurai skill points, so getting all the weapon skills at least won't take very much time at all it seems. I can't tell if this is a bad thing or not yet.

I do like how the enemies stay aggro'ed on you unlike Soulsborne. For the first shrine area it basically meant certain death if you attracted 3-4 enemies, but at the next shrine I aggro'ed like a group of half-dozen and had a fun time running across the rooftops/ground to eventually kill them all.

edit: also I like the japanese voice over. Will it be that way in the english release?

The game features "historically accurate" voice acting, English characters speak English and Japanese characters speak Japanese.
I don't think the skill trees are complete, there's many empty spots and I think alpha had few different attacks and passive skills, so they changed them for this beta.

Ydelnae

So... I ran out of elixirs and now I got like three from beating enemies. They don't show up in the item menu, though. Is this a common issue? Anyone know how to fix it?

Pejo

When presented with multiple enemies at the same time in this game, are you guys:

- Dodging around, looking for openings to get a quick jab in at a single enemy, for whichever enemy presents an opportunity to do so.
- Dodging around, looking for openings to get a quick jab in at a single particular enemy until that enemy is dead (I guess based on threat or reach compared to the others).
- Retreating and funneling the enemies into a small area and unleashing wide reaching attacks to hopefully stun all of them and do some damage to the group.

I've been doing a mixture of the second and third options, but I'm running into enemies that are seemingly programmed to dodge backwards, so I'm whiffing on that one, hitting another enemy, then getting counterattacked and stunlocked, and ultimately killed. Maybe spear just isn't suited for multiple enemies, and I should try a new subweapon.

Kinsei

Banned
When presented with multiple enemies at the same time in this game, are you guys:

- Dodging around, looking for openings to get a quick jab in at a single enemy, for whichever enemy presents an opportunity to do so.
- Dodging around, looking for openings to get a quick jab in at a single particular enemy until that enemy is dead (I guess based on threat or reach compared to the others).
- Retreating and funneling the enemies into a small area and unleashing wide reaching attacks to hopefully stun all of them and do some damage to the group.

I've been doing a mixture of the second and third options, but I'm running into enemies that are seemingly programmed to dodge backwards, so I'm whiffing on that one, hitting another enemy, then getting counterattacked and stunlocked, and ultimately killed. Maybe spear just isn't suited for multiple enemies, and I should try a new subweapon.

I tend to look for an opening to get in a quick combo on an enemy and then dodge out.

Baalzebup

There's also Travel Amulet consumable item that lets you return to stage selection without losing your amrita.

Naw. Himorogi Fragment takes you to the map and you lose Amrita, Himorogi Branch takes you to the map and you keep the Amrita. The Travel amulet teleports you back to the last shrine you have used.

Honestly, all 3 of these, depending on target priority and the terrain. As trace mentions below, the summoners are priority one and are hunted at the expense of everything else beyond basic personal safety. After that, high priority targets like the flame wheels. The various melee gribblies come after that. Upon the latter, I usually try to kill all the lesser mobs first, but I will damage anything that I can safely hurt while doing so. After the distracting weaklings are gone, I can work on the bigger guys and the more dangerous NPC Revenants.

I still haven't finished everything but so far I'm enjoying it a bit less than the Alpha. I never felt like I had problems with Ki management on the Alpha but here on the Beta almost all my deaths are because I ran out, I'm using extra light clothes and have been upping my Heart lvl but I don't think it's helping.

I noticed that the Katanas have two different icons/thumbnails, one the blade pointing up and the other pointing down, is that suppose to mean something?

Top Bottom