• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

IKizzLE

Well, on paper, all these changes look good to me. Doesn't seem like they will make the game any less challenging, but potentially less annoying. Looking forward to trying it out myself.

Eccocid

The development team has a lot of confidence game if they're releasing two demos, one from a very early and rough state. Most developers don't even risk releasing a demo at all for a single player game because of the fear that people will play the demo, dislike the game (even if its because of an early state and not reflective of the final game) and bad word of mouth will kill sales. So yeah they seem to be very confident.

When i meant lack of confidence i meant they are relying input from players too much instead of using their own vision. But it doesn't seem like the case with Nioh.

NoKisum

Just for clarification, I didn't get very far in the first demo (it was fun, but I'm very bad at Soulsborne-style games), so my equipment and items start from the beginning rather than gaining any special bonuses, correct?

S1kkZ

only played the alpha for half an hour, but the framerate in the beta is improved.
action mode seems to hold 60 fps most of the time, while looking a bit sharper.
the 1080p mode still has some odd stutter but runs better in general, compared to the alpha.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah but he's discovered since that there is a high stance Ki pulse dodge and some other stuff. I haven't played it myself but watching Gwyn's stream.

Then it might as well be gone based on the first demo. Mid and low stance were easily able to take out everything in the first demo it just took longer.

Just for clarification, I didn't get very far in the first demo (it was fun, but I'm very bad at Soulsborne-style games), so my equipment and items start from the beginning rather than gaining any special bonuses, correct?

Correct. You needed to at least beat the first stage in the alpha demo to get bonuses.

Getting used to changes, way less rewarding for high skill.
Full heavy concept ki burst doesn't speed combat up, game is just slow now, feels like infinity blade.

cheesekao

I'm actually surprised at how many people use low stance since you're basically hitting your enemies with a wet noodle in that stance.

Full heavy concept ki burst doesn't speed combat up, game is just slow now, feels like infinity blade.
What do you mean by this? Did they slow down the animation speed?

Tsunamo

Weird that it's up in the Aus store before EU, usually we get stuff comeup at the same time.

No complaints here being a Aussie though with a AU main account.

Way less rewarding for high skill.

That's...lovely. Based on what I'm seeing in the stream, the slow-down due to these changes brings this much closer to a Souls playstyle than character action and that's a crying shame. I'll reserve full judgement until I play it, but what I'm watching doesn't look nearly as quick and sneaky as the Alpha.

The Alpha was my GOTY so far without exaggeration so this is pretty depressing but saw it coming a mile away after the massive fan feedback changes.

Skulldead

The game still look pretty hard so far (watch stream right now) The guy seem to know how too play he use a lot Ki regeneration.

Hey, fuck off. I am a souls person and these changes sound bad to me >_>

Then you shouldn't take my comment personally.

This is just shit. I was soooooooo looking forward to this game, a game I wasn't even all that good at. I was day 1 digital for sure.

Based on what I'm reading here, I dunno if I'll even bother. I have no interest in dark souls: japan.

TreIII

Hmmm. Will have to give this a try for myself tonight. But I'm already a bit wary of these changes I'm reading.

Alastor3

Can't wait to try this since I just got a ps4.

My friend could never finish the alpha demo because of the difficulty. He said it was too damn difficult when there was more than one ennemy

Sayad

What a goofy change, don't get what that is supposed to do...just to allocate an animation that got axed what?
Wasn't it like this before too, if you get attacked in red stamina you lose breath since attacks damage stamina too, less of a change and more of something they kept from the previous version.

Mister Wolf

Blood Reign: Curse Of The Yoma + Dark Souls = NIoh. I cant wait for this to come out as I wont be playing Dark Souls 3 until they release all of the DLC.

Wasn't it like this before too, if you get attacked in red stamina you lose breath since attacks damage stamina too, less of a change and more of something they kept from the previous version.

Yeah I might've bitched too early, I don't remember? Either way I guess it confirms it's not really in for high stance either just if those conditions are met?

Kaisos

Souls fans are entirely to blame for this and it's pretty miserable. If there's a worse fanbase, I haven't seen it.

It helped separate it a bit further from Souls

Well, when half the people in the Alpha demo thread trashed the game for not playing exactly like Souls...

This is a singleplayer game right? Why does it have 2 open betas already? The development team lacks any confidence or past experience?

Given that they've scrapped entire gameplay systems solely because of feedback I'm convinced this is the case, yeah. What a disaster.

There were so many Souls fans in the alpha thread who just wouldn't stop complaining because they had to adjust to a new way of doing things (which is what I thought was the reason they enjoyed Souls in the first place).

Baalzebup

Blah blah, blame it all on Souls fans, will ya :p I'm a Souls fan, played every single entry including BB and I was fine with what the Alpha was offering and gave my feedback accordingly. We aren't cut from one cloth.

Menthuss

I noticed that when locked on, Geralt-kun's movement animations aren't properly synced to his actual movement. Probably a side effect of them forcing you to face your enemy when you lock on.

Game is much easier and a lot less punishing. Actions seem to take a lot less stamina, lack of being tired also makes it less risky to do maneuvers and enemies seem to attack slower. I managed to effortlessly dispatch multiple waves of (early but whatever) enemis in day arena, while half distracted with "why no equipment" and 'why do they keep spawning, this didn't happen in the alpha"

Why are some of you guys mentioning Souls fans as a reason for the changes? Wouldn't it be more of a "Japan didn't like the game and that's why is being changed"? I remember seeing the feedback and America was really positive on the dificulty while Japan was a lot less pleased during the Alpha.

Kaisos

I think when it's released and is even worse and even easier than this new Beta demo, Nioh will serve as a warning to other devs not to listen to fan feedback to such an extent.

Why are some of you guys mentioning Souls fans as a reason for the changes? Wouldn't it be more of a "Japan didn't like the game and that's why is being changed"? I remember seeing the feedback and America was really positive on the dificulty while Japan was a lot less pleased during the Alpha.

A lot of the specific changes are done to make it play (if only superficially) more like Dark Souls.

Also, you'd think that if all the marketing was focused around how hard the game is, they would have... kept it difficult... but I guess that's too much to ask.

Espada

When i meant lack of confidence i meant they are relying input from players too much instead of using their own vision. But it doesn't seem like the case with Nioh.

Read the interview on Siliconera with the game's director. They've already stated that they have a very clear goal with Nioh, and aren't taking suggestions that would hurt their ultimate goal with the game. From the few people who've played the E3 2016 demo and the Beta we've heard the difficulty is still there.

These changes seem more like quality of life adjustments more than anything else. Moving the Ki Pulse to high stance will definitely change the flow of things, just like how durability's omission will.

And I am sure it still will be for most of us.

As somebody who sucks at video games, there's still a notable decrease of tension. Mainly because of how easy it is to maneuver now, when you don't need to worry about stamina as much. I just dash around like a crazy person and there doesn't appear to be much punishment. Enemies also appear to track you less and in general, I feel way more confident just running into somebody and dashing behind them, when before, I'd carefully kite around even a single enemy of note, as I could be in danger easily even in 1v1 situations.

Kaisos

Defy Death (because it's basically impossible to die)

As somebody who sucks at video games, there's still a notable decrease of tension. Mainly because of how easy it is to maneuver now, when you don't need to worry about stamina as much. I just dash around like a crazy person and there doesn't appear to be much punishment. Enemies also appear to track you less and in general, I feel way more confident just running into somebody and dashing behind them, when before, I'd carefully kite around even a single enemy of note, as I could be in danger easily even in 1v1 situations.

And all the feedback is -still- going to claim that the game is too hard, just watch.

Top Bottom