• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLTTP: Mario Mania

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Greetings and salutations one and all, yes you are reading that right, it states that I am not late to the party, you might wonder why that is in the face of what is to come. Well, this isn't about your party, this is about my party, birthday party to be exact. Yes, today I celebrated another year on this mortal coil, went out to nice Japanese resturant with some family, ate some sushi, had some Steak Teriaki, even got a birthday pineapple with a taiko drum rendtion of "happy Birthday." Quite lovely if you ask me. Anyway, as with any birthday there comes gifts, and among the backpacks and T-shirts and the like, I got what I really wanted. A brand new DS Lite and two games. As you could defer by the title they are both Mario titles, specifically New Super Mario Brothers and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
The question I have for the collective is quite simply which one should I play first?

agent069

Banned
I hate both of them, Mario & Luigi is a big letdown compered to the GBA version, and New Mario is a big deception too (a lot have been said), you should have imported Rockman ZX.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
agent069 said:
I hate both of them, Mario & Luigi is a big letdown compered to the GBA version, and New Mario is a big deception too (a lot have been said), you should have imported Rockman ZX.

I think he meant to say "Happy Birthday!"

rafman400

agent069 said:
ummm.. i totally disagree with what you said about NSMB.
i never played Mario n Luigi soo...
PLAY NSMB FIRST.

If you want to play the better one, go with NSMB. M&L takes more time and wasn't a good as a RPG as NSMB was a platformer, if that makes any sense.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
NSMB is a deception? WTF? o_O

Play NSMB, it's awesome. Many Nintards are blinded by nostalgia as Drinky and MAF have posted in numerious topics. M&L2 is average though. :\ 10 steps back from M&L. I'd sell it if I sold games... but I still even have my copy of FFX-2 on my shelf.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I guess some people were expecting every power up from every mario game to be in NSMB.

Jiggy

Both are good if not great games, but as was said, NSMB is a better platformer than M&L2 is an RPG. Besides, it'd just be wrong to have to go through an 18-hour game before getting to the 3-5-hour game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I love the sleekish, Apple-like design. Anyway, still got a couple of hours to vote while the DS Lite is charging up for the first time.

MGrant

Can't you play while it's charging? I played my DS Phat while it was charging for the first time. Dunno if lites are different.

If they were two very similar games I could see choosing one or the other to be first. But "oldschool Mario platformer" and "RPG with particularly timing-based battles" are quite different, and seem they'd complement each other. Shift when the mood hits.

You mean you didn't get smashed on your bday? Man, mine was last week and happened to drop cookie cake on my crotch. I don't remember the details only that I was asking someone to lick it off my crotch. Pictures were taken.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
NSMB isn't as good as the NES or SNES games, but it's still well worth (re)playing. And 100X better than Sunshine.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
evilromero said:
You mean you didn't get smashed on your bday? Man, mine was last week and happened to drop cookie cake on my crotch. I don't remember the details only that I was asking someone to lick it off my crotch. Pictures were taken.

Who said I wasn't going to get hammered? I have some beer stashed in the fridge just for that purpose.

Happy Birthday!!

Play NSMB first. I also had a huge boner for M&L2. Unfortunatly it isn't nearly as good as M&L1 (which might actually be my fav. Mario game evar). It lacks the charm of the original.

Don't listen to the haters. NSMB is fine, I would suggest playing that first. Mario and Luigi 2 is also great, but doesn't quite stand up to the greatness of the original Mario and Luigi.

Did you own a DS before this? There are a lot of good games to catch up to if you haven't. It should hold you out till the Wii or PS3 in the Fall.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Stopsign said:
Don't listen to the haters. NSMB is fine, I would suggest playing that first. Mario and Luigi 2 is also great, but doesn't quite stand up to the greatness of the original Mario and Luigi.

Did you own a DS before this? There are a lot of good games to catch up to if you haven't. It should hold you out till the Wii or PS3 in the Fall.

No I did not, I am aware of the need to build up a collection tough I am certain that I am going to hold out on next gen for a little while.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How old are you Shard?

I would say go for NSMB first. If you want to play both as soon as possible, do a speed run of NSMB (1->2->5->8), play the crap out of MnL, and then go back and unlock everything in NSMB.

Mario and Lugi: PiT is a LOT of fun to play. It's just like the first Mario and Luigi, only now you control four characters instad of just two.

I never see anybody talk about this game. I bought the game back in December, and didn't even open it until recently. What a mistake that was, I should have torn into it right away! Great game. It's really linear, but the battles are so much fun. And the story is pretty funny, too.

Amir0x

Banned
Play Mario and Luigi 2, because it's a solid game (albeit not as good as the first) and then save the best for last with NSMB :D

Johnas

Congrats on the gifts and happy birthday Shard!

NSMB is totally rad. Don't let a vocal minority dissuade you.

MM.JPG

What?

agent069 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, play New Super Mario Bros. Actually, it is the best Nintendo DS's game in my opinion.

Amir0x said:
Play Mario and Luigi 2, because it's a solid game (albeit not as good as the first) and then save the best for last with NSMB :D

Good idea.

I've never seen the point of getting hammered during birthdays. I'd like to remember my celebrations, thanks.

Well, unless something mindnumbingly awful happens that I never want to remember.

And screw the haters. M&L:piT rocks. It just needed a touch more
Fawful

AniHawk

NSMB is so ****ing awesome. The levels are oldschool and cool, sure, but if you want, you can really test your platforming skills by finding all the secret coins and exits. To me, that made the game so much more fun.

The only thing that put me off at all would be the mishmash graphics, but you'll get used to 'em.

M&L:piT >>>>>>>>> Superstar Saga. I mean, they're not even close.

agent069

Banned
AniHawk said:
NSMB is so ****ing awesome. The levels are oldschool and cool, sure, but if you want, you can really test your platforming skills by finding all the secret coins and exits. To me, that made the game so much more fun.

Frankly it didn't took me more that 4 or 5 day to take everything, this game is too freaking easy (at least in the old mario the 2-3 last world were pretty challenging, here the last world and the hidden one are as easy as the first world), the soundtrack is crap (lack eaither variety and quality, pure shit here), the new bonuses are crap (Giant Mario? Blue Shell? wtf those things are useless crap), the 3D is useless too, give me back my 2D!

The controls are pretty solid, but I'm really tired of that ****ing running button, especially when you ALWAYS run, you never walk, what's the point of a run button? Why the hell have they put the bonus on a touch screen virtual button? Why not map in on the X button or select? A real button is better than a virtual button, in Princess Peach it was justified by the fact there are 4 emotions you could see them with there color are shape, but here, there's only one.

And the game is freaking easy, you just never lose, you gain 10 lives per level, I quickly had 99 live, and never got less than 95 after that. The save feature is crap, levels are too repetitive, they had enough content to make a 20-30 levels and they stretched it to death with about 80 levels.

It's not a bad game at all, but it's really far for great, but the lack of challenge, originality and soul was really a let down to me. It's by far the biggest disapointing game I've played in year, the last one must have been Starfox Adventure.

As for M&L it just sucks compered to Superstar Saga, the game is too long, boring, too easy, the battle system is a mess, the bonus system is completely flawed. The canon thing is one of the most powerfull attack, and it's uber easy to make it. There a a few attack that makes more damage but they're pretty hard to perform so you end up just using that cannon stuff. The soundtrack is crappy too (which seems to be the cases since the GC era), those black toad stuff are shitty, so are the evil princess, it seems they just put a black kingdom mushroom and made it a day, where's the creativity?

Top Bottom