• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky and Starfield Starfield Starfield comparison

Flutta

Banned
US_Navy_020811-N-6817C-007_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_%28CVN_72%29_pipe-patching_techniques_during_a_%27Damage_Control_Fair%27.jpg

Ribi

Fair comparisons considering both are unfishable upon launch. At least that's what people are saying on here considered all I here is "can't wait for the modders to put in x when starfield comes out"

SJRB

Gold Member
There is not a single soul, not one, who didn't think of NMS when the Starfield gameplay opened with scanning a plant and laser-mining some iron ore in a cave.

I mean, come on now. Of course in its core it's a fundamentally different game but some aspects are quite similar. Which is neither good nor bad, of course.

The comparison won't stop, it's a way of coping. I should say it doesn't surprise me considering how impressive the reveal looked and it's not available on the more popular console [for now] and yet I'm still surprised at the sheer scale of mountains of salt. Never seen anything like this. You'd think half of gaf got locked in a mine trying to find a way out:

Kokoloko85

I think the big difference is the RPG elements. NPC’s etc. the depth of interaction with NPC’S, story, and factions etc is one of the things that Bethesda use to do right, so they will probably be much better than NMS in that regards.

Plus combat and tech that can be used in the world

Combat and overall smoothness needs alot of work though, looks chuggy and fake alot of the time

Last edited:
There is not a single soul, not one, who didn't think of NMS when the Starfield gameplay opened with scanning a plant and laser-mining some iron ore in a cave.

I mean, come on now. Of course in its core it's a fundamentally different game but some aspects are quite similar. Which is neither good nor bad, of course.
Oh you mean doing sci Fi tropes of the last 70 years has to make you think of NMS? Seems a bit silly.

Kev Kev

no mans sky, and virtually every other video game in the last 20 years, has borrowed ideas from bethesda games.

bethesda borrowing some ideas back is not a valid "complaint". every developer, artist and business does this.

people are just desperately clamoring for a way to shit on bethesda and MS. simple as that.

or they are too dumb to realize that taking inspiration and borrowing ideas from other's work is incredibly common and acceptable.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I definitely think there are comparisons to make between the games. They are both space games, there is going to be alot of overlap no matter what happens.

You have base building, resource gathering, space combat, a gazillion planets to explore, etc etc

Also, NMS launched in a terrible state and has gotten better and better over time and is now considered to be a great game.

Although i expect Starfield to release to good scores and receptions, will be high 80-90 scores, it is no doubt going to get better and better over time, it's the Bethesda way.

It's funny, after watching the trailer I decided to download No Man's Sky on Gamepass, I don't see the comparison as necessarily a bad thing. To me it's the most interesting thing along with the FTL inspiration that is possibly taking place. I doubt their shooting mechanics are going to be good and their RPG formula is going to look more dated than ever so my hope was for an interesting ship combat/traversal system. Not being able to fly the ship close to the surface is a massive turn off already and it makes no sense that in 300 years you'd be walking around in barren landscapes.

I think most of the disappointment comes from the disparity of what was shown now compared to the first in engine trailer (not unlike what happened to Halo Infinite). Struggling too keep 30fps in a game that doesn't look good graphically is a really rough showing by itself and invites all sorts of comparisons.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
It's funny, after watching the trailer I decided to download No Man's Sky on Gamepass, I don't see the comparison as necessarily a bad thing. To me it's the most interesting thing along with the FTL inspiration that is possibly taking place. I doubt their shooting mechanics are going to be good and their RPG formula is going to look more dated than ever so my hope was for an interesting ship combat/traversal system. Not being able to fly the ship close to the surface is a massive turn off already.

I think most of the disappointment comes from the disparity of what was shown now compared to the first in engine trailer (not unlike what happened to Halo Infinite). Struggling too keep 30fps in a game that doesn't look good graphically is a really rough showing by itself and invites all sorts of comparisons.
it really did look rather choppy.

I remember playing Fallout 4 on my ps4 pro, it was awful for me on launch, now it's extremely smooth.

CeeJay

Plenty of other games have used a handheld tool to harvest resources and build things such as Slime Rancher, Astroneer, Subnautica to name a few and I don't remember any comparisons being made with those.

Regardless of how you actually collect resources in a game whether it be with a gun, melee weapon or with your bare hands its all very similar and present in hundreds of games for decades. I think the reason a lot of people immediately thought of NMS when they saw the resource collection in Starfield is because it uses a gun tool to analyse and harvest resources. It's a sci-fi game based in space so how else would you do it if not with some futuristic sci-fi gizmo? If you strip away the visual style and theme then mechanically its really no different to picking herbs or chopping wood found in any number of fantasy RPGs and survival games including previous Bethesda classics.

Regardless of whether any individual sees it as a good or bad comparison there is definitely an agenda to try and discredit Starfield and diminish it's creative achievements. Anything insinuating that Starfield is derivative of NMS is extremely disingenuous and clearly coming from a portion of gamers who want to hate Starfield and want to see it crash and burn. Bethesda (Tod's projects) are just doing what they have been doing for decades, creating top tier WRPGs and raising the bar that they set for themselves.

it really did look rather choppy.

I remember playing Fallout 4 on my ps4 pro, it was awful for me on launch, now it's extremely smooth.
Go watch the 4K trailer on the official website and notice how poor the textures on the outside of the ship are or how bad the outside environments look. There is just no way anyone is honestly impressed by what was shown, even compared to other games MS has shown like Hellblade and Forza Horizon. There is clearly something going on here, either the game is still far away from release of there is some severe technological struggles going on (maybe from their dated engine).

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Go watch the 4K trailer on the official website and notice how poor the textures on the outside of the ship are or how bad the outside environments look. There is just no way anyone is honestly impressed by what was shown, even compared to other games MS has shown like Hellblade and Forza Horizon.
yep i agree, i think in the other thread i rated the gameplay video i saw at a 7, i was pretty shocked when people were saying it was a 9 or a 10, they have a hell of a lot of work to do.

yep i agree, i think in the other thread i rated the gameplay video i saw at a 7, i was pretty shocked when people were saying it was a 9 or a 10, they have a hell of a lot of work to do.
I think the interiors look good, so there is that. It made me think based on the first trailer that the game would revolve around you being mostly inside the chip or in some space stations. That sounds a lot more interesting to me and makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

I think people are just scared because they are either putting too much faith in this game or expectations.
Theres nothing wrong with similarities, because at the end they are 2 different games. But for some reason people think this is offensive.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I think people are just scared because they are putting too much faith this game or expectations.
Theres nothing wrong with similarities, because at the end they are 2 different games. But for some reason people think this is offensive.
I think this has merit, there is a lot of this below going around.

How Dare You Greta GIF

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think this has merit, there is a lot of this below going around.

How Dare You Greta GIF
Oh fishy my friend, you know people are using the NMS comparison to downplay this game. Of course it is silly and you are right that people should not get their feathers ruffled by this tactic. Sure the game has some similar elements, but the experience will be entirely different.

sircaw

Banned
Oh fishy my friend, you know people are using the NMS comparison to downplay this game. Of course it is silly and you are right that people should not get their feathers ruffled by this tactic. Sure the game has some similar elements, but the experience will be entirely different.
Of course, there are going to be some people that feed into that, there will always be that, i am sure you have seen the hundreds of concern comments about Sonys games on this exact forum.

But you need to be fair, there are many people that have genuine critiques and concerns in what they have seen so far.

Saber

Gold Member

I'm not even downplaying it. Nothing indicates this game will be bad or worse than NMS, so whats the problem here? Its just similarities, theres no way people didn't saw this on the video.

CeeJay

I think people are just scared because they are putting too much faith this game or expectations.
It's not fear, it's disgust that these games are being compared. Bethesda have a proven track record and are just iterating on what they do best in the industry. Although NMS is an excellent game and breaks new ground in some regards it is still a game made by a really small indie team and simply cannot compare to a rich, intricate branching WRPG made by a large, really accomplished and experienced AAA team.

It would be like comparing Last of Us to the Walking Dead, they are both a post apocalyptic road trip with an adult male taking on the guardian role of an unrelated young girl, they are both heavily narrative driven, they both have zombielike enemies, they both have a feeling of despair with tough choices to be made along the way.

In the same way that Naughty Dog and Druckman have earned the accolade of being the best at what they do, no one else makes WRPGs like Bethesda and Tod Howard.

Saber

Gold Member
It's not fear, it's disgust that these games are being compared. Bethesda have a proven track record and are just iterating on what they do best in the industry.

Thats a straigh lie considering release of Skyrim(main game people are using to explain Starfield) and Fallout. Both still broken games nowadays. Unless you guys are using blinders or pretending these games aren't glitchfest on purpose. Hopefully is different this time, but track record is against them(and you).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I definitely think there are comparisons to make between the games. They are both space games, there is going to be alot of overlap no matter what happens.

You have base building, resource gathering, space combat, a gazillion planets to explore, etc etc

Also, NMS launched in a terrible state and has gotten better and better over time and is now considered to be a great game.

Although i expect Starfield to release to good scores and receptions, will be high 80-90 scores, it is no doubt going to get better and better over time, it's the Bethesda way.

True. There are always going to be similarities for games that are in the same genre, but I didn't see much in the video that was distinctively NMS except for the mining part. Space ships and space combat are going to be similar no matter what. I've played NMS, Elite Dangerous, and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and for the most part they are very similar as far as combat goes.

I think Bethesda's mistake was putting that mining tool footage at the very beginning. That immediately made people think of NMS and that got stuck in their heads.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Of course, there are going to be some people that feed into that, there will always be that, i am sure you have seen the hundreds of concern comments about Sonys games on this exact forum.

But you need to be fair, there are many people that have genuine critiques and concerns in what they have seen so far.
Other than framerate I don't see it. This is a Bethesda ass game with the largest scope and the best graphics and animation we have see from this dev. Assuming the game is not a technical disaster, Bethesda fans are in for a treat.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
no mans sky, and virtually every other video game in the last 20 years, has borrowed ideas from bethesda games.

bethesda borrowing some ideas back is not a valid "complaint". every developer, artist and business does this.

people are just desperately clamoring for a way to shit on bethesda and MS. simple as that.

or they are too dumb to realize that taking inspiration and borrowing ideas from other's work is incredibly common and acceptable.
By the same account you could say that several members on this forum go out of their way to desperately defend MS/Bethesda at every turn, they cannot admit to negative viewpoints of others or comparisons. Such as the engine being an absolute relic of time that should be migrated off ASAP

I think we should all just take a step back and wait for the game now as it's still a good bit off, no doubt it will improve over time and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Hundreds you say? While you're obviously exaggerating, let's see how your whataboutism plays out. Out of the supposed "hundreds", I doubt you could find any 2 people combined who have made as many "concern comments" about Sony's games as you've made just this week about Starfield and it's showing.
That may be so, but you're surely not one of them. Unless your definition of "genuine critiques" is something along the lines of "downplay at all costs".

You're part of the very problem he's talking about. Why suddenly try to play the part of mediator, as if you're above it all?

Fredrik

I saw the mining and the base building and thought ”Niiice!! It’s like No Man’s Sky!” and got more hyped since I already knew the focus for Bethesda is to make an awesome RPG and the No Man’s Sky mechanics are just added bonuses.

Some people saw the mining and the base building and thought ”rofl it’s just No Man’s Sky!” and decided to ignore that Bethesda are focusing on making an awesome RPG and the No Man’s Sky mechanics are just added bonuses.

🤷‍♂️

The reality is that there is nothing like Starfield out there. There is no No Man’s Sky RPG. Not yet. Hello Games might add RPG mechanics eventually though, they’ve added everything else so nobody should rule that out, who knows might even come before Starfield.

Top Bottom