• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky and Starfield Starfield Starfield comparison

sircaw

Banned
Not at all starshine. Of course I could ask the same of you. The difference between us though being, one of us is apparently making it their fulltime job to downplay a game because it's not on their preferred console... and one has simply spent a relaxing morning off work calling them out on it.
anyways, back to reality. 👍

ToadMan

It’s hilarious to me people want to make this a console war. And even rationalise multi-platform publications as console warring too lol.

It’s 2 PC games being compared, not to mention 2 games both available on Xbox consoles …

Comparisons like this happen all the time on PC in all genres, and Xbox is a PC brand - if you don’t believe that, note MS’s showcase had more PC game segments than console ones.

While MS has moved on from closed console ecosystems, some xbox console owners are stuck in the past it seems.

Sorry dudes, the cozy days of bashing the competing home consoles on genre vs genre exclusives are gone. You’re sailing on the PC ocean and there’s a lot more competition there.

If it wasn’t NMS it’d be Elite or star citizen or X or mass effect or any number of other space games available on PC all of which have already trodden the path Starfield is taking.

CeeJay

You can prove me wrong, not trying to be smartass or anything. I have my CD right here. One of reasons the game start becoming better playing is when I started playing it with mods. Namelly the Unofficial Skyrim Patch mod.
Your unpatched day one release CD for PC. Of course that is going to be as glitchy as the day it was pressed if you want to look at it in a vacuum where you don't install any patches or play any of the subsequent releases of the game on other platforms. But, even on day one it would have been a stretch to call the game broken. It was still serviceable all be it with some funny glitches that didn't really spoil the game in any meaningful way for 95% of players. Skyrim won loads of GOTY awards, sold tons of units, is in many many peoples top 10 GOATs and with the recent Anniversary edition is still been enjoyed and played extensively today. The game is comfortably in the current top 50 played games on Xbox ahead of popular games like PUBG, DAYZ and FH4. Is this not all proof in itself? Surely a truly broken game wouldn't be so beloved.

VinnyMac

There's comparisons for a reason just because you guys 'want' Starfeild to be unique and one of kind does not change the fact that it isn't. there is similarities like it or not and there is a lot of them. Will sf be more detailed and a better game? Absolutely but to say they didn't take inspiration from nms is ludicrous I know Bethesda is regarded as "superior' but even the best devs copy 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
My first impression was absolutely being akin to something like NMS which surprises me someone would find insult in that considering the massive turn around they did with the game garnering a shit ton of good will. It's not a bad thing to be compared to in a relatively short first impression of a new game. Hopefully over time we'll get a better understand of what the game is actually shaping up to be with new videos and information.

stickkidsam

I’m not sure a game with over 1000 planets can also capitalize on the hand crafted side quests and story telling that Bethesda is known for. I don’t think the gameplay will make up for it either.

Games like Minecraft or Hades succeed because the games are built around procedural generation. The former is a playground for the players creativity and the latter just gives the player endless dungeons to blast through. What’s the point of exploring entire planets that will have fuck all on them to discover? The game isn’t multiplayer so you can’t share the cities you build with friends. I just don’t know what the gameplay hook is here.

I’ll be impressed if they can pull it off but I’m skeptical.

Edit: dammit why don’t I ever proofread?

Last edited:

kyussman

Someone needs to ask Todd Howard about this.......because if he says it's all a coincidence and he's never even heard of No Man's Sky......I for one would totally believe him.

geary

Someone said it above. Comparing these 2 games is like saying TLOU is like the Walking Dead with pretty cutcenes or Divinity Original Sin is like Xcom in a fantasy world.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well let's just start with 1 game not being out for months and the other having been out since 2016 with continuous free expansions over that near 6 year period.

Honestly, the only point of comparison is overhype vs disappointment. And as noted that's not fair considering Starfield isn't out til next year so the prevalence/extent of that reaction is pretty much unknown.

And seriously, the reaction to the reveal was somewhat mixed. Its inarguable, although it should reflect on its launch state/reviews.

mortal

Gold Member
Why are some people so bothered, or even taking offense, with the No Man's Sky comparisons?
It's reasonable to draw comparisons upon seeing both titles side by side, even if it doesn't go much beyond similarities in a basic premise and some gameplay mechanics.

Obviously, these titles will end up being different experiences once you dive into them, so they're not the same exact game, detail for detail.
However, the argument that there are no comparisons to be made is also pretty ridiculous.

Can some people really not fathom Bethesda admiring what Hello Games accomplished in No Man's Sky, and are drawing some of that as inspiration for Starfield?
Game developers don't exist within vacuums. It's certainly plausible, if not probable and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

If it wasn’t NMS it’d be Elite or star citizen or X or mass effect or any number of other space games available on PC all of which have already trodden the path Starfield is taking.
None of the games listed are open world RPGs. That's what makes Starfield unique.

StormCell

Anyone who has ever played No Man's Sky has wished, even yearned, for some semblance of an actual living breathing RPG-like universe in the game.

When I saw the Starfield trailer, my first thought was, "HEY! This is going to be like No Man's Sky except... OMG, it's No Man's Sky sandbox RPG!!! I've been wanting this for years!! Bethesda gets it! I can't wait!!"

In video game development, a bit of plagiarism is a sincere form of flattery. It's evidence that No Man's Sky gets some things right, which it really does! The problems with No Man's Sky are rooted in the engine that makes the game possible: procedurally generated content evokes a feeling of randomness to that which begs for meaning. As humans, we are not accustomed to living completely separate from a society, which makes No Man's Sky's space stations, freighters, and trading hubs are very welcomed sight, but the planets are still about as meaningless as they ever were -- at least they were as of the last time I played.

When you play a Bethesda RPG, you know that everywhere you go, a designer has been there and had some thought about it and maybe even some intent. Not everything is elaborate, but when you come upon a glade in the woods you know to suspect that you're not the first to have stepped there and it's likely that there's just more there than meets the eye, which boosts the mystique of what you are seeing and hearing.

Games like No Man's Sky and Minecraft have always lacked this, which makes Starfield's borrowing of these concepts a whole new thing with the RPG elements.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Ok to you it looks like NMS but to me not really
To me Starfield looks like Fallout/The Outer Worlds/Mass Effect
both GIF

To me it looks like Fallout/The Outer Worlds/Mass Effect AND No Man’s Sky. 🙂👍

Some clearly think that’s a bad combo but for me it’s awesome. NMS is among my most played games, Mass Effect is my favorite gaming trilogy, TOW was on my GOTY list. Fallout is the only IP I’m not really into, too dark and gloomy.

MiguelItUp

Honestly the similarities and comparisons to No Man's Sky and even Star Citizen are pretty damn obvious. But we'll have to see how the final result comes together. I'm sure people may prefer it over other similar titles and vice versa, but that's just how these things go.

MastaKiiLA

Honestly the similarities and comparisons to No Man's Sky and even Star Citizen are pretty damn obvious. But we'll have to see how the final result comes together. I'm sure people may prefer it over other similar titles and vice versa, but that's just how these things go.
There are some people who apparently lose their shit when you state this. Apparently, you can't even compare the scale of the 2 games, because apparently that's sacrilege. Not everyone is trying to bash the game, but it's made some people crazy defensive.

MiguelItUp

There are some people who apparently lose their shit when you state this. Apparently, you can't even compare the scale of the 2 games, because apparently that's sacrilege. Not everyone is trying to bash the game, but it's made some people crazy defensive.
I believe it, some people give oddly super passionate about things. But man, as an observation across all three games, you can't deny it, lmao. Since Starfield isn't out yet, only so many things can truly be said about it, and that's everything we know. But as an observation, there is plenty there to see the comparisons. Is that a bad thing? No. It's just an obvious thing IMO, lol. I'm definitely not bashing it saying all that. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why are some people so bothered, or even taking offense, with the No Man's Sky comparisons?
Because some were putting this on a second coming of Jesus pedestal before any info, that shalt not be compared. So they see it as a negative, when games borrow interesting and effective ideas all the time from one another.

I think people are just scared because they are putting too much faith this game or expectations.
Theres nothing wrong with similarities, because at the end they are 2 different games. But for some reason people think this is offensive.
This.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I think the big difference is the RPG elements. NPC’s etc. the depth of interaction with NPC’S, story, and factions etc is one of the things that Bethesda use to do right, so they will probably be much better than NMS in that regards.

Plus combat and tech that can be used in the world

Combat and overall smoothness needs alot of work though, looks chuggy and fake alot of the time
With 1,000 planets though? Hmm I don't see it. We'll see though. Still a super early look.

CosmicComet

From the bits they showed there are clear NMS elements but I don't see that as a pejorative.

NMS is now awesome.

It won't have the breadth of NMS but it will surely have more depth from the perspective of being a more handcrafted, narrative RPG.

Whereas NMS is more of a sandbox ala Minecraft (but not shit like Minecraft).

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think people are just scared because they are putting too much faith this game or expectations.
Theres nothing wrong with similarities, because at the end they are 2 different games. But for some reason people think this is offensive.

Exactly this.

Bethesda is making an interplanetary exploration RPG, so they'd be foolish not to take a page from the game that is pretty much the state of the art on interplanetary exploration.

A truly bad sign was if they were taking a page from Star Citizen, and started selling ridiculously expensive spaceship jpegs just to continuously usurp money from whales and never actually launch a game ever again.

It's worth comparing enough to see that they're not even doing what a small indie dev pulled off . . . Not being able to fly and land anywhere on a planet in 2023 sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
I don't like a silent protagonist either. It's not hard to hire a male and female voice actor to read out all the dialogue options. I'd expect that from a AAA big dev with a big budget . . .

Why are people getting so upset with the similarities? Just don't get it.

The only similarity that I wish was in Starfield is the planet to planet flying.
Hahaha sure it is.
Because some were putting this on a second coming of Jesus pedestal before any info, that shalt not be compared. So they see it as a negative, when games borrow interesting and effective ideas all the time from one another.

This.
They are negative in tone or just out right. It's not the comparison but all are in a negative manner from a few and it's on you if you can't see that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hahaha sure it is.

They are negative in tone or just out right. It's not the comparison but all are in a negative manner from a few and it's on you if you can't see that.
The negatives ones, sure, criticism happens as well.

I’ve seen people being jumped on for just general comparisons. We all know there are those that bend the knee at the altar of Todd Howard, this has been a long running meme for 3-4 gens now… they even are so kind to fix the bugs for them.

But I digress. Comparisons are going to be made with NMS and SC about certain gameplay systems, it be what it be.

Last edited:
The negatives ones, sure, criticism happens as well.

I’ve seen people being jumped on for just general comparisons. We all know there are those that bend the knee at the altar of Todd Howard, this has been a long running meme for 3-4 gens now… they even are so kind to fix the bugs for them.

But I digress. Comparisons are going to be made with NMS and SC about certain gameplay systems, it be what it be.
C'mon you know half of them are just being a shit. It's like stop pretending already.

IDEC about the comparison...if I get no mans sky style exploration with skyrim style world building and oblivion/fo3 style quest? Elden ring my favorite game ever but that might give it a run for its money. Now people are trying to use no mans sky as a slight because they making it seem like the rpg elements are completely gone.

Alphagear

Not defensive just tired of talking points that make no sense yours is one of them

Starfield is a WRPG i repeat a WRPG with all of Bethesda past RPG game mechanics and enhancements & even new stuff added
It is a RPG first and foremost & is not a Space simulator which is what NMS or Elite Dangerous is
People are really not getting this point
Starfield is more Fallout in space then No Man Sky ok

Currently Starfield looks like No Mans Sky, Quacks like No Mans Sky and Walks like No Mans Sky.

Where did you see Fallout in the game?

Last edited:

anothertech

It's ok to be critical. It's also ok to be super hopeful and positive.

Since none of us have played through it everything is bullshit at this point. Opinions based on the cover of a book.

Even the guys doing deep dive vids don't know what half the stats do or how the majority of quests and content will work.

The real thing is a year away. Long time to wait and see if it's actually goty material

dcmk7

Banned
Hahaha need to be fucking Batman to find any of those in most threads
Rather ironically you have been banned for trolling Sony threads in past. It's ok to troll those but a comparison already made by media outlets is too far? C'mon.

Do you guys legit not understand what he's saying or do you just like to dog pile? Please show me a gameplay view of Ratchet or Rivet where you can see the fur detail. Not one where you have to fudge the camera or a cut scene. Just regular old gameplay.

Last edited:
Rather ironically you have been banned for trolling Sony threads in past. It's ok to troll those but a comparison already made by media outlets is too far? C'mon.
Haha that's not trolling and I'm still waiting.

Edit.
I've been banned because babies react poorly. It's less about what I've said and more about how many kids have fits about it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's worth comparing enough to see that they're not even doing what a small indie dev pulled off . . .
To be fair, it’s worth stating that the ”small indie dev” is doing more than any other dev, no matter the size. That’s really how it is now.

Let’s list some things you can do in NMS:
Mining
Crafting
Building bases on surface and under water
Build your freighter, kinda
Explore a gazillion planets
Visit space stations
Learn alien languages
Explore ruins
Fill up you alienplantipedia
Breeding
Ride a mount
Trading
Farming
Planetary shootouts
Space dogfights
Mercenary missions
Morph the surface
Drive multiple vehicles
Racing
Upgrade your ship/suit/weapons/vehicles
Manage ship expeditions
Manage settlements
Make music
Pirating
Take part in galactic space war
Do side quests
Do main quests
Online gaming
VR gaming

At this point it’s easier to list what it doesn’t do:
Role-playing
Upgrade your characters stats and skills
Build your own spaceship
Walk inside your ship
Explore big cities
Uhm…
Sword fighting?
Fight bosses?
Save the planet?
Idk 🤷‍♂️

Trogdor1123

I watched the YouTube video and was really impressed. However, did the frame rate struggle or was that YouTube? Is there a 60fps mode?

Kev Kev

i was standing in line at the grocery store checkin GAF when i saw the title change and i started laughing like an idiot in front of everyone :messenger_tears_of_joy: i couldnt even explain myself bc everyone would have been like wtf a thread title change. omg lmao, i was dying.

Crayon

Little oversensitivity about. You can't blame people for seeing nms when they saw that demo. And imo, it's not just the gameplay, but an association with disappointment.

Don't worry, fambabies, the game is going to do great!

Top Bottom