• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Majmun

Everything is so slow in this game, and expensive!! I don't feel like grinding. Don't have the patience anymore.

I'm going to try the creative mode instead.

I just started this game again for the first time since a few weeks after launch and it took me so long to figure out how to build a signal booster, god damn, all I needed to do was press up!

I have a question about bases though:

If the goal of the game is to keep pushing forward and move from system to system, why would I want to build a base that I couldn't get back to without using loads of resources/fuel every time?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm assuming people know about the new update 1.34?

Fixed an issue where large numbers of portal visits would be added to save files, greatly increasing the save size and impeding the ability to save the game
Prevented the terrain editor draining in charge when editing empty voxels
Prevented players being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
Fixed responses made to Artemis and Apollo at times being incorrectly tracked
Prevented players being blocked from progressing if they decline to enter glyphs into a particular story portal
Fixed instances where Atlas text was appearing as though it came from an NPC
Fixed FoV in photo mode showing degrees as a temperature
The discovery screen will now show images from a larger number of visited waypoints
Added a placeholder image in cases where a waypoint image is not available
Allowed scrolling of names on the discovery page which are too long to be displayed
Fixed a graphical issue where a blur effect would be applied while teleporting
Improved prioritisation of systems you have teleported from when listing your most recent teleport locations
Altered teleporters in space stations to allow players to teleport directly to other stations as well as to their base
Improved ordering of icons on the galactic map to more accurately indicate missions and system information
Increased maximum number of paths which can be rendered in the galactic map
Improved appearance of the message displayed when your starship is out of range
Fixed warning symbol on broken tech appearing too small
Fixed an issue that sometimes caused glyphs not to be awarded correctly
Fixed an issue in tutorial messaging when you repair your pulse drive but nothing else before entering your ship
Added the amount of units you will earn for a discovery to the Analysis Visor interface
Added correct emotion animations for various interactions with NPCs

Nesses

Fixed an issue where large numbers of portal visits would be added to save files, greatly increasing the save size and impeding the ability to save the game
Prevented players being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
Prevented players being blocked from progressing if they decline to enter glyphs into a particular story portal
The discovery screen will now show images from a larger number of visited waypoints
Allowed scrolling of names on the discovery page which are too long to be displayed
Improved prioritisation of systems you have teleported from when listing your most recent teleport locations
Altered teleporters in space stations to allow players to teleport directly to other stations as well as to their base
Improved ordering of icons on the galactic map to more accurately indicate missions and system information
Fixed an issue in tutorial messaging when you repair your pulse drive but nothing else before entering your ship
Added the amount of units you will earn for a discovery to the Analysis Visor interface

still no fix for the waypoints...

Sarcasm

This on PC yet?

ParityBit

Man, one more day until I can dive into this game again. It's been a great vacation, but I have seen so much good chatter I never this thread!

Playing over the Vita was impossible so all I could do really was update the software with all the patches.

MaKTaiL

They need to fix performance on PS4 after going through a portal into a really crowded planet. Those numerous messages scattered around tank frame rates.

Giganteus

The devs have stated the waypoint issue is being investigated on the Steam forums. Hopefully it'll make it into the next patch (1.35).
Thank god.

Did anyone get a blueprint named "remembrance" when they logged into the latest patch? It requires 1 heart of the sun and 16 nanites. Its for my exosuit but it doesn't really say what it does.

Meliora

I just started this game again for the first time since a few weeks after launch and it took me so long to figure out how to build a signal booster, god damn, all I needed to do was press up!

I have a question about bases though:

If the goal of the game is to keep pushing forward and move from system to system, why would I want to build a base that I couldn't get back to without using loads of resources/fuel every time?

You can teleport back to it from any space station for free!

It's kinda annoying now because it prioritizes any systems with missions, even overriding systems you just came from.

I had to delete all my base terminal missions because I would get 3 options to return to my home system and it would constantly overwrite the last system I teleported to (where I buy trade items from).

But when it does work as I hope it would, being able to teleport between 4 star stations is super nice though.

/edit/ nevermind it still overwrites it now -_-

Has anyone found any planets since the update with Omegon, and Radnox?

I found one with Radnox but my save got broken and I had to restart from a backup. So, yeah, you can still find it on planets, but it's not common by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm up to 8 bio-domes, for 128 potential plants, plus I have ~20 or so Solanium growing outside (which I could easily increase). What's the best farming loop now? Circuit boards, explosive, living glass? I suppose I could do all three to avoid cratering the local economy.

MaKTaiL

There is a bit of an issue with the amount of planets the game can generate and the amount of portal combinations we can currently do. We can currently set up 16 different glyphs in 12 coordinate spots. So we have 16^12 portal combinations (281 trillion...).

If the game generates 2^64 planets (18 quintillion...), then there are more planets than portal combinations to go to, so it wouldn't make sense for us to get "Corrupted Location" when using the same glyph on all 12 spots because that combination would definitely lead to a planet somewhere.

If there are 2^32 planets (4 billion...) then there are more portal combinations than planets to go to which would explain why we get "Location Corrupted" when trying one combination.

But all articles I've read about NMS say we have 2^64 planets in total which would make the "Location Corrupted" a bug they would have to fix. Even so, 2^64 planets creates a big problem for them because some planets would not have a portal combination, or multiple planets would have the same combination which might also explain the corrupted locations.

The devs either lied about the number of planets the engine can generate or they fucked up the portal combinations.

Mathieran

Banned
I got mangled doing the last armorer mission before the patch. I was looking forward to trying it now, but the quest must have glitched and said I completed the task and to return to the armorer. Oh well. At least it wasn't broken.

The devs either lied about the number of planets the engine can generate or they fucked up the portal combinations.

Neither. Portal coordinates work for one galaxy only. The same combination in another galaxy will take you to a planet in the new galaxy, not the old one.

Sarcasm

Any way to drop the craft this underwater breather pop up? Doesn't show up in log and sometimes it overrides the main quest lol.

51mb +/- update...

Hope mods work >.>

My mods seem to be fine when using the experimental update before official release.

However, since the change to warping from base to space station I now have 3 of the same location on my warping menu. It doesn't always take me to the right place either. Hopefully the official patch release fixes it.

Any way to drop the craft this underwater breather pop up? Doesn't show up in log and sometimes it overrides the main quest lol.

Craft it then break it down and get some resources back? I had that with a few crafting things and they wouldn't go away until I crafted the stupid thing.

MaKTaiL

Neither. Portal coordinates work for one galaxy only. The same combination in another galaxy will take you to a planet in the new galaxy, not the old one.

A different galaxy only has a different seed for generating planets, but every galaxy generates 2^64.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There is a bit of an issue with the amount of planets the game can generate and the amount of portal combinations we can currently do. We can currently set up 16 different glyphs in 12 coordinate spots. So we have 16^12 portal combinations (281 trillion...).

If the game generates 2^64 planets (18 quintillion...), then there are more planets than portal combinations to go to, so it wouldn't make sense for us to get "Corrupted Location" when using the same glyph on all 12 spots because that combination would definitely lead to a planet somewhere.

If there are 2^32 planets (4 billion...) then there are more portal combinations than planets to go to which would explain why we get "Location Corrupted" when trying one combination.

But all articles I've read about NMS say we have 2^64 planets in total which would make the "Location Corrupted" a bug they would have to fix. Even so, 2^64 planets creates a big problem for them because some planets would not have a portal combination, or multiple planets would have the same combination which might also explain the corrupted locations.

I would take it then that most galaxies have 281 trillian planets. There are more than one galaxies.

edit: I can see you doublig down on this above. You have your answer, they never lied.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In the construction menu try to pin and/or unpin the recipe. It's a little clumsy until they fix the blueprints automatically registering as missions.

You may have to pin and unpin since it's not showing up in the log currently.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Why are you assuming that there are 281 trillion actual portals? I'm sure there is a formula saying which ones don't work, because they don't actually generate all of the planets the portals would potentially be on to make them all work

How do I get the crazy amounts others are getting from scanning? I've got all the flora upgrades.

Are you scanning all the animals on a planet? You usually get over 100,000 units minimum for scanning the animals on a planet. The more animals there are, the higher you get paid.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How do I get the crazy amounts others are getting from scanning? I've got all the flora upgrades.
Are you sure you're not?

You earn the units the instant you scan. It's not related to the units earned for uploading your discoveries.

Playing in creative mode...pretty disheartening to know there are no black holes in this mode. 683,201 Light years to go till the center I go.

Coudn't you use the portals if you find the address on the Internet for a planet very close to the core?
Ideally within the same galaxy (or maybe combinations for other galaxies won't work for a player anyway until they reached the center once)

Question: If you cancel a quest, can you restart it at any time? And if yes, how?

Missions are procedurally generated as well, so it might randomly pop up again.
Also: some missions have identical rewards, so if you're looking for a special piece of tech, you might get it as a reward for another mission.

jNZbUtD.jpg

n9Lv6OV.jpg

q8o7Z1Y.jpg

2aYFTX1.jpg

IiZRCGD.png

xJ4gqUv.jpg

Acorn

Are you sure you're not?

You earn the units the instant you scan. It's not related to the units earned for uploading your discoveries.
They've added the amount you get to the visor and it's mostly 200us

Edit nm just got 93k for one animal

Got further into the Awakenings story last night, and things started to get really crazy. And really buggy.
I went through my first portal (I can't believe they even ripped off the Stargate animation) and after the Atlas protocol stuff it was supposed to dump me on a planet, away from my ship. But what it actually did was just put me in a space station above the planet with my ship parked next to me. So then I start flying down to the next marker and suddenly my ship crashes into the ground, just halfway buried in the terrain. Did anyone even test this game??

It's kinda annoying now because it prioritizes any systems with missions, even overriding systems you just came from.

I had to delete all my base terminal missions because I would get 3 options to return to my home system and it would constantly overwrite the last system I teleported to (where I buy trade items from).

But when it does work as I hope it would, being able to teleport between 4 star stations is super nice though.

/edit/ nevermind it still overwrites it now -_-

This feels like a common refrain with HG: design and release a new gameplay system that isn't well thought-out and has some big flaws, and then instead of fixing these problems they add more complexity on top of it which exacerbates the original problems. We see this with the inventory UI and now with the teleporter.

OuterLimits

My guess would be messed up portal combinations.

However, I have often wondered if the game has less planets than they claim. Mainly because I have restarted about 30 times, and several times my beginning planet was already discovered. Granted, the beginning area is the "crowded" zone since they start everyone within a 10,000 LY radius it seems. However, I would think that would be large enough an area where you would always get an undiscovered planet at the start. Maybe not though.

Glad to hear they are investigating the waypoints. Fixing that and the no clouds on PS4 will make me happy. :)

I don't know. I asked but didn't get answers. The 3rd and 4th and 6th one I'm pretty sure don't have mods. Certainly nothing significant. Can't tell if the first one is using a vegetation mod or not, but that doesn't look too out of the ordinary either.

Top Bottom