• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

I'm compiling a list of base building suggestions for Hello Games. So far I have:

- garage doors
- elevator
- ramps
- different size stairs

Anyone have anything to add?

OuterLimits

I find Survival mode great, except for the always hostile sentinels on paradise planets.

Survival mode even makes buying sigma upgrades worthwhile in the early game.

Wish they had a mission where you could deactivate always hostile sentinels on planets. Even if its tough as hell, it might be worth it on a planet you really like.

13ruce

Banned
What did that 2gb 1.34 update do on ps4?
All bug fixes or is it just overiding old data.

Ah i missed 1.33 that might explain the size.

Atomski

Why do I have to be in a certain system to do base building missions..? Find a new planet I like but it won't let me continue the missions there.

I'm compiling a list of base building suggestions for Hello Games. So far I have:

- garage doors
- elevator
- ramps
- different size stairs

- Let us build scanned flora around the base. But only planet specific, So no cacti on snow planets for example. That along with the terrain tool would give us the creative freedom to build a really immersive base.

- Not building related, but let our ship spawn just outside of the base after teleporting. I fly a very large hauler and it's always in the way. And further more: let our ship spawn on a landing platform, should we have one at our base.

Why do I have to be in a certain system to do base building missions..? Find a new planet I like but it won't let me continue the missions there.

I think you need to activate the quests again by taking to the ones that give it to you, after rebuilding your base? Not sure though...

OuterLimits

Ok, the ? That don't disappear when activating and saving actually show the correct symbol when you exit a game and load the last save. Bizarre. Tried it several times and whenever I resume a game, the ? Is gone and it's the correct symbol. Not very helpful obviously, just thought it was interesting.

I know they said they are investigating the waypoints which is awesome. If they fix that and the ship scan on planets showing things far away, I will be thrilled. And clouds :)..

The patches so far have been impressive. They are definitely working hard.

This resource grind for the
Mind Arc
on the Awakenings storyline is ridiculous. I was really getting into the storyline, things seemed to be really picking up and getting crazy, and then out of nowhere comes this grind quest. Completely stopped the narrative momentum.

- garage doors
- elevator
- ramps
- different size stairs

Yeah, either an elevator or Quake3-style jump pads. Ladders have been the worst traversal mechanic in FPS games since Half-Life 1. They're just awful, especially for multi-story buildings. Disorienting and clumsy. All I could do was shake my head when I saw they even used them on the holo towers.

Do they have communications parts available, like radar dishes and antennas? That could be cool to use on buildings.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've put a lot of time into the game since the big update, and I think I've reached the point where I'm kinda done. Everything I want either requires an insane amount of money, or an absurd amount of resource farming.

There are ways to "trick" the system [superconductor market crashes and stuff] but there's little fun in that. Missions are nothing more but fetch quests or grinds with little to no relevant reward.

There is such a slow pace of progress, and inventory manament is a constant annoyance. The steps forward are so tiny that after the end of a couple of hour-session I often wonder "..what did I even accomplish just now?" and the answer is often "not very much".

The game hands all these cool ideas but then burries them underneath unreasonable grinds [either resources or currency].

OuterLimits

Btw, I have both the Awakening and Atlas path listed.(only 3rd system on my new game) Can you do both paths at the beginning, or does going to an Atlas station lock you out of the other story?

I have been following the Awakenings mission for the warp drives and just realized the Atlas path is now under primary missions as well.

- Let us build scanned flora around the base. But only planet specific, So no cacti on snow planets for example. That along with the terrain tool would give us the creative freedom to build a really immersive base.
That'd be cool. Basically like non-resource farming... the ability to plant non-farmable flora.

seb

Banned

- garage doors
- elevator
- ramps
- different size stairs

A landing pad to get free take off from your base? Unless it already exists and I'm not there yet.

If you move your base after starting certain quests, you are fucked. At least you used to be. The patch notes for 1.34 says this is fixed.

Guppeth

Btw, I have both the Awakening and Atlas path listed.(only 3rd system on my new game) Can you do both paths at the beginning, or does going to an Atlas station lock you out of the other story?

I have been following the Awakenings mission for the warp drives and just realized the Atlas path is now under primary missions as well.

I did Atlas up to the final step, realised I needed to grind a much of mats and needed warp reactors for some of them, completed Awakenings while looking for blueprints and farming, then once Awakenings was done I completed the final step of Atlas.

Handy Fake

A landing pad to get free take off from your base? Unless it already exists and I'm not there yet.

If you move your base after starting certain quests, you are fucked. At least you used to be. The patch notes for 1.34 says this is fixed.

You can get a landing pad, aye.
ptcti7R.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
So uh, I've pissed off these sentinels to the five star level and now they chase me everywhere. But I can't get off my very first planet because I can't find enough resources to fuel without dying. Fuck me right?

Handy Fake

So uh, I've pissed off these sentinels to the five star level and now they chase me everywhere. But I can't get off my very first planet because I can't find enough resources to fuel without dying. Fuck me right?

Dig a hole or try and find a cave and keep your head down for a bit.

Tigress

Nice to know but I don't think I'll ever see this. Apparently I'm supposed to kill a sentinel force in space and there's no way I'll succeed. I can't fucking go into space anymore, I get insta-killed :(((

Run from he freighter, get in an asteroid field, kill three of the fighters. You don't need to destroy the freighter, just three fighters.

Mr Git

Building limits are getting me down, haven't even built a landing pad. Considering either taking down my entire base and rebuilding a pure farm or moving planet. I think outdoor plants add to the limit total now? I've got 5 biodomes but really want more. Current output is about 12 living glass per hour. I like my base being high up too but seems it's too much on the limit counter so will probably take it down to ground floor :c Any tips for relocating a base to another planet?

Arrived in a system with six planets, two barren with only rocks and no fauna a little flora, one hot as hell, one toxic, one radioactive and luckily the last one was a lush. I think I'll move my base there, since the other planets have some good resources.

munster

Neo Member
Finally bought this game when it was discounted on humble.

My system is an i5 4690k @ stock, 16gb Ram and a factory o/c gtx1080. I play on a 40" 4k screen, HDMI 2 @ 4:4:4

Can anyone recommend any good mods for this game?

Anyone screw around with any of the ship weapons other than beam and cannon?

Curious if infra knife or the positron thing or the cyclon ballista are worth the investment

Run from he freighter, get in an asteroid field, kill three of the fighters. You don't need to destroy the freighter, just three fighters.

Is that the base mission? I think they reduced difficulty with the patch. I did it today and only had to kill one. Which is good because my pre-atlas killer ship gets now shredded in seconds.

Aenima

Yesterday i found a Class S Freighter, looks like i have a new objective now. I let that one go cuz had only 24 slots. Trying to see if i find another one with more slots and a model design i like. The bonus of the class S was 30% more warp distance.

Yesterday i found a Class S Freighter, looks like i have a new objective now. I let that one go cuz had only 24 slots. Trying to see if i find another one with more slots and a model design i like. The bonus of the class S was 30% more warp distance.

My experience is that freighters are completely out of wack.

I've seen three (not the normal ones). One was A class, 33 slots for 278M. Next was a star destroyer that was C class, 22 slots, 390M, and then another one of the cool design gek ones, C class, 23 slots, 410M.

There's next to zero consistency in pricing

Handy Fake

My experience is that freighters are completely out of wack.

I've seen three (not the normal ones). One was A class, 33 slots for 278M. Next was a star destroyer that was C class, 22 slots, 390M, and then another one of the cool design gek ones, C class, 23 slots, 410M.

There's next to zero consistency in pricing

Never trust a Gek.

Mr Git

Oh damn it, I need the circuit board. That thing is hard to make.

I make them as a by-product on my living glass farm, they're not too hard to get once you've got a few plants going. 200 solanium + 100 frost crystals | 200 star bulb + 100 cactus flesh. I only have 4 solanium plants as they're slow to grow so I'd recommend growing the frost crystals and star bulbs and gathering solanium and cactus from planets.

Mindlog

Potential Free Ships?
I landed in my freighter and right behind me came a 40 slot hauler. I needed one of those to replace an older hauler with fewer slots. I exchanged the new hauler with my good ship to get it for free and loaded into my crappy hauler to exchange for my original good ship. This is when I noticed that I could still buy ships outright. So after all is said and done I could purchase a ship for 12M. No big deal I click the buy button. 12 Million is not deducted from my wallet.

tl;dr Purchasing an abandoned ship on your freighter is free regardless of value?

My explosives farm comes online at the same exact time I find a hauler. Nice. Currently optimized ~22+ per hour. I have other plants to stock up on rare resources and to convert all the glass my original base had to living glass for sale. Left an empty vault so that I can harvest between dead times without worry. I don't have to actually have to optimize farming to get good returns. Between explosives, missions and resonators I'm making tens of millions every time I visit a new system.

Also can't believe I bothered searching planetside for nanites when some missions reward 200+ and they can easily be double up.

Economy issues solved. Time to go exploring. This is definitely my podcast/conference call game again.
Finally bought this game when it was discounted on humble.

My system is an i5 4690k @ stock, 16gb Ram and a factory o/c gtx1080. I play on a 40" 4k screen, HDMI 2 @ 4:4:4

Can anyone recommend any good mods for this game?
Hawkian added Milamber's great mod guide to the resource hub. Good stuff in there.

Direct link to Milamber's mod guide.

I found my first crashed freighter. Is there anything in the vaults other than nanite clusters? I dug up a few and that's all I find. Plus a few that I dug up won't open.... Not sure I care about digging up the rest if it's just nanite clusters.

Building limits are getting me down, haven't even built a landing pad. Considering either taking down my entire base and rebuilding a pure farm or moving planet. I think outdoor plants add to the limit total now? I've got 5 biodomes but really want more. Current output is about 12 living glass per hour. I like my base being high up too but seems it's too much on the limit counter so will probably take it down to ground floor :c Any tips for relocating a base to another planet?

Are you on PS4? I've seen PC bases with like a dozen biodomes. But yeah, I'm on PS4 and the base limit is way too small. I ended up tearing my base down and building one that is solely for farming. If you build on a radioactive planet you can plant the gamma weed outside and you'll be able to up your output; I only have 3 domes up so far and can do 12 living glass an hour.

Mr Git

I found my first crashed freighter. Is there anything in the vaults other than nanite clusters? I dug up a few and that's all I find. Plus a few that I dug up won't open.... Not sure I care about digging up the rest if it's just nanite clusters.

Are you on PS4? I've seen PC bases with like a dozen biodomes. But yeah, I'm on PS4 and the base limit is way too small. I ended up tearing my base down and building one that is solely for farming. If you build on a radioactive planet you can plant the gamma weed outside and you'll be able to up your output; I only have 3 domes up so far and can do 12 living glass an hour.

Yeah on PS4 unfortunately :c I need to tear down mine and rebuild, the only questline I have left to do is the exocraft and it's still bugged so just gonna delete all the staff for farming. I wish you could move base parts without deleting them. Deleting my base to rebuild it is gonna need a lot of free slots. I really should move to a radioactive planet - I was considering a nice frosty planet I've found to have the frostwort outside.

theWB27

Ever since going to the new galaxy I feel like the planets have been overwhelmingly more hostile/toxic than tranquil. Any planets that aren't are just barren wastelands.

Veezy

que?
My awakening line somehow disappeared and all I've got left is Atlas. Should that have happened? I have yet to meet those two people that hook you up with the atlas pass.

It would be cool if HG added a really large dome super-structure that would envelope most of the base building area and allow you to build within it. It could terreform the environment within it into a generic "nice" biome.

Give it an airlock and it could double as a functional underwater base super-structure, as well :D

Anyone screw around with any of the ship weapons other than beam and cannon?

Curious if infra knife or the positron thing or the cyclon ballista are worth the investment

In my experience the Infra-knife Accelerator is worse than an upgraded proton cannon, but I didn't upgrade it to max level. The Cyclotron Ballista is unguided but powerful, so it's good against freighters. The rocket launcher is a great addition, as rockets are guided once you get a lock on a target, and they do quite a lot of damage. Haven't tried the other weapons.

One thing I'd like to see as an improvement to ship combat is defensive systems. So, shields that protect against beam weapons, or rocket chaff, etc. That way you can't just rely on one weapon to work on every enemy you meet, and conversely lets you specialize ships for different tasks.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ever since going to the new galaxy I feel like the planets have been overwhelmingly more hostile/toxic than tranquil. Any planets that aren't are just barren wastelands.

Did you pick a tranquil galaxy?

I did and lush planets have been pretty common.

Managed to find out a way to find Class S ships much more faster.

So i found a Class S some days ago but only had 13 slots, and in the latest patch they said exotic ships was displaying the wrong amount of slots so i decided to hunt the same exotic to see if had more slots, and managed to grab the same exotic 3 times, 15 slots, then 19 slots then 20 slots in about 1 hour.

So here's what i did:

1st i whent back to the solar system i knew where i got it the 1st time. Only 1 exotic ship model spawn in a certain solar system so i knew that solar system had the model i wanted.

Then i grabed a quest to deliver a package, to point me the location of a Trading Station, once there i placed a beacon on the trade station.

Now the way the game works is when u reach the Tradeing Station 6 to 8 random ships spanw near it and try to land on it. Going up to space and coming back respawn more 6-8 random ships, and can always be an exotic.

There was no need to land on the station just get close enough, press right to circle the targets to see if the exotic ship appear on ur radar, if not, just go up in space and go back again, repeat untill he finally spawns.

Finally got around to this.

Good tip.

Totally worked.

Aenima

Whats the name of the Galaxy are you on. Soulds like Calypso.

Im in Eissentam and its very comon to find lush planets with great weather.

Aaron D.

Finally picked this up today after hearing it talked up on Waypoint podcast.

But I can't seem to get a stable 30fps at all. I've tried to tweak everything with no luck.

Sadface. :(((((

Robaperas

I know this question might've been answered but, is there a way to transfer items from exocrafts directly to the exosuit? I haven't seen the option or path to do it, just exocraft > ship > suit > containers.

Top Bottom