• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

c0Zm1c

Got further into the Awakenings story last night, and things started to get really crazy. And really buggy.
I went through my first portal (I can't believe they even ripped off the Stargate animation) and after the Atlas protocol stuff it was supposed to dump me on a planet, away from my ship. But what it actually did was just put me in a space station above the planet with my ship parked next to me. So then I start flying down to the next marker and suddenly my ship crashes into the ground, just halfway buried in the terrain. Did anyone even test this game??
The exact same thing happened to me at that point with the ground appearing out of nowhere. From the text,
the marker is supposed to be in a cave but it was on the surface in my game.
To make matters worse, the planet it lead me to had hostile sentinels so I had to skim through the text at the marker then sprint back to my ship with a load of sentinels shooting at me. It kind of ruined the moment really, as it's quite an important part of the story.

OuterLimits

Sometimes the story sends you randomly to a horrible planet. My first two permadeath games after the update went horribly. The first one had the ship floating high above the ground. Which isn't related to the story I guess, it just sucked.

The second one had the abandoned building where you get an antimatter on a water planet at the bottom of an ocean.(not close to land) Plus on that mode, your oxygen falls quickly underwater.

I do like the different story at the start of the game though now. Even the parts where it's basically just getting you the warp drive. It provides a much better introduction.

The exact same thing happened to me at that point with the ground appearing out of nowhere. From the text,
the marker is supposed to be in a cave but it was on the surface in my game.
To make matters worse, the planet it lead me to had hostile sentinels so I had to skim through the text at the marker then sprint back to my ship with a load of sentinels shooting at me. It kind of ruined the moment really, as it's quite an important part of the story.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that's what happened -- the autopilot code isn't able to understand below-ground destinations.

Another bug I've been having is that the story UI keeps glitching. At first I thought the flickering was an aesthetic decision to mirror the glitching of the universe, but it also keeps advancing through dialogue without me tapping a button. I wasn't able to even read some of the storyline last night. :/

Granted, the beginning area is the "crowded" zone since they start everyone within a 10,000 LY radius it seems.
Anecdotal though, for instance I've played over 100 hours and never seen anything discovered by someone else. Granted I've been purposefully not scanning for them but I've looked at, and been to, a lot of planets and systems in that time.

Plus, have to account for
there being multiple galaxies out there
which break the number down as well.

Aenima

Seems like most if not all bugs i had are gone now.

Had a stuck notification telling me to build a warp reactor (that is already build) thats now gone. My quest log now only show the quest i really have active.

After colecting the 16 glyphs the 17th we find a grave was suposed to get some king of technology, that i never got, and as soon i started the game with the patch 1.34 i got the blueprint.

The glyph #16 is still not in my log as found but i guess i just need to find it again to register this time. As in the patch notes mention that.

So now i just need the damn interest points to go away when i visit the locations as im still gettting the same point to the crash freighter everytime i visit my base and thats already looted. And the big white dots that get stuck on building if u use the scan on them or close to them. But i know those are not bugs from my side but general stuff that affects everyone.

Also would like to see the clouds back on the PS4 version. Why are they gone? They was there since launch. Does the PS4 pro version also dont have clouds. Cuz if the pro version has clods then i can assume it was causing performance issues on the base model, but if missing from that version too then no excuses.

The ๖ۜBronx;246971612 said:
Anecdotal though, for instance I've played over 100 hours and never seen anything discovered by someone else. Granted I've been purposefully not scanning for them but I've looked at, and been to, a lot of planets and systems in that time.

Plus, have to account for
there being multiple galaxies out there
which break the number down as well.

The only time i saw something discovered by someone else was when i was 1 jump away from the center of my 1st galaxy. But with the portal u are always teleported to some planet discovered by someone else. At least my portal travel imputing random adresses always took me to discovered planets.

By the way if you finish the new main quest line
and whant to choose a new galaxy, pick the tranquil galaxy, is the galaxy that most ppl is picking because it the one with bigger % of lush planets. The galaxy name is Eissentam (by normal means is the 10th galaxy in the game, but thanks to the new option at the end of the new questline u can jump straight to it.)

MaKTaiL

Did anybody here also find a frost planet using the portal with a base 5 minutes away from it? My PS4 is crashing everytime I try to reach that base. I'm trying to get the trophy for visiting another player base but it's hard. There are so many messages left by other players that it feels like I'm playing a slide show. Framerate gets at mid 10~15fps and it eventually crashes the game.

Edit: snip been answered a few times lol

Sounds like porting between stations will cut out tons of time needed to farm in different places. Can't wait till tonight

Edit: snip been answered a few times lol

Sounds like porting between stations will cut out tons of time needed to farm in different places. Can't wait till tonight

It does, but unless you rename planets "frozen" or "gamma root 1", then you're still guessing until you jump to the system and rescan all the planets. Why it doesn't log your scan data is beyond me.

Aenima

There is a bit of an issue with the amount of planets the game can generate and the amount of portal combinations we can currently do. We can currently set up 16 different glyphs in 12 coordinate spots. So we have 16^12 portal combinations (281 trillion...).

If the game generates 2^64 planets (18 quintillion...), then there are more planets than portal combinations to go to, so it wouldn't make sense for us to get "Corrupted Location" when using the same glyph on all 12 spots because that combination would definitely lead to a planet somewhere.

If there are 2^32 planets (4 billion...) then there are more portal combinations than planets to go to which would explain why we get "Location Corrupted" when trying one combination.

But all articles I've read about NMS say we have 2^64 planets in total which would make the "Location Corrupted" a bug they would have to fix. Even so, 2^64 planets creates a big problem for them because some planets would not have a portal combination, or multiple planets would have the same combination which might also explain the corrupted locations.

The devs either lied about the number of planets the engine can generate or they fucked up the portal combinations.

Maybe the devs are refering to planets across all galaxies? Cuz there more than 200 galaxys in the game. And i can confirm with 100% sure that each galaxy is not a copy paste of the other.

For example, Calypso is a "raging galaxy", i played on calypso during the new main quest, and its a very agressive galaxy. Most planets have extreme hazard conditions, and many planets have agressive sentinels.

Im now in a "Tranquil galaxy" Eissentam, and most planets are lush, with very good weather and rare to find agressive sentinels. Even the hot, cold poison and toxic planets are rare for them to be extreme condition planets.

So they can have unrepeaded adresses for each single planet inside a galaxy, cuz is not possible to teleport by portal to a diferent galaxy (they work like each galaxy is in a diferent server).and for that reason 2 planets can have the same adress, as long they are in diferent galaxys the adress can be the same.

JCH!

Man, I really should give this game another chance but I can't get myself to reinstall it after that terrible launch, not when there are so many cool games to play!

Kaiken

Banned
I ran into a structure I've never seen before. It looked like a giant start gate of some sort, huge spinning circle that a ship could fly through. There was a terminal that spit out some nonsense but really didn't do anything. Is there a purpose for this? I'll try to toss up a screenshot when I get home.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Man, I really should give this game another chance but I can't get myself to reinstall it after that terrible launch, not when there are so many cool games to play!

Its worth a try, countless others came here with similar sentiment and seem to be enjoying themselves.

I'm sure you'll make it through regardless. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I ran into a structure I've never seen before. It looked like a giant start gate of some sort, huge spinning circle that a ship could fly through. There was a terminal that spit out some nonsense but really didn't do anything. Is there a purpose for this? I'll try to toss up a screenshot when I get home.
Sounds like a portal to me, lol.

You need to earn Glyphs to be able to use one and it gets a bit complex. They eventually allow for instantaneous travel to planets even across the galaxy.

Kaiken

Banned

You need to earn Glyphs to be able to use one and it gets a bit complex. They eventually allow for instantaneous travel to planets even across the galaxy.

I'm towards the end of my Atlas arc and this gate/portal? is on my home base planet. I'll keep digging.

Actually, I found a pic of it:

maxresdefault.jpg

Giganteus

I came across what they're referring to yesterday. It's different than a portal and you can't use it. Maybe it'll serve a purpose later on.

Just located the Portal on my home planet.
I only have two glyphs, but decided to muck about with it any way, randomly entering different combinations.

First planet I visited was this one, after entering a random combination of the 1st and 3rd glyph.
Pretty cool.

UPt38T6.jpg

For the second planet I only entered the 1st glyph, which obviously had this at the end of it :)
Pretty amazing to see. Especially after all the multiplayer kerfuffle at launch. Felt good.

lcIRhCg.jpg

After a few warps I started noticing that a bunch of thamium next to my home portal immediately replenished after warping. Even after a very short trip back and forth. There are a few damaged containers near my portal as well, so I decided to check if these also would replenish after warping and surely they did! It's not 100% of the time and it's not all containers at once, but I managed to get a pretty large stack of nanites and antimatter from the same containers.

And lastly, here's my "adress" if anyone would like to visit my beautiful desert planet :)

x33NS0F.jpg

Hmmm...

I am confused. Remembrance does... nothing?

I crafted Heart of the Sun for the Atlas Path. After
birthing a new star
the Heart remained in my inventory, allowing me to insert Remembrance into my suit.

But I have zero clue what purpose it serves.

Did anybody here also find a frost planet using the portal with a base 5 minutes away from it? My PS4 is crashing everytime I try to reach that base. I'm trying to get the trophy for visiting another player base but it's hard. There are so many messages left by other players that it feels like I'm playing a slide show. Framerate gets at mid 10~15fps and it eventually crashes the game.

Come to 121212121212 (1st and 2nd glyph) My base is 10 mins south of the portal so you may want to use an exocraft to make the trip. Not enough messages on that planet to crash you I wouldn't think.

webrunner

One of the weird results of the story being the way it is is that my atlas path and my traveller storyline are at extreme distances from each other so I hope I dont lose teleporting to either side somehow

belvedere

Junior Butler
Its Friday. Going to go home, pour a cold one and explore the universe at 100" in the theater. I thought the game was immersive before, but man exploring planets is damn fine in projector land.

Mindlog

One of the weird results of the story being the way it is is that my atlas path and my traveller storyline are at extreme distances from each other so I hope I dont lose teleporting to either side somehow
I may be in the same spot soon. If I didn't already have a farm I would anchor one of my points with a base. Preferably in a wealthy system for Resonator flipping.

Speaking of I think I'm going to be pretty happy with farm+resonator flipping for money. I don't min/max either so I can keep doing other stuff. I can fill up one hauler with Resonators and sell off the entire load every time I get to a new system without worrying about price. While I do that I'll slowly fill up another hauler with explosives. Win/win.

And while I was buying up Resonators I saw my first exotic ship! I was in my crappiest ship so I was afraid I couldn't afford the thing. However, it didn't have many slots. Perfect for my new dedicated fighter.

Then I went back to my freighter and brought out my big hauler. Nice economy you have there
NH9gE7v.gif

Is there a general overview of the new fighter weapons? The missiles are neat, but everything else can't compete with my basic cannons yet because I maxxed the crap out of them with upgrades. An even comparison would require a heavy material investment.

magawolaz

Hmmm...

I am confused. Remembrance does... nothing?

I crafted Heart of the Sun for the Atlas Path. After
birthing a new star
the Heart remained in my inventory, allowing me to insert Remembrance into my suit.

But I have zero clue what purpose it serves.
Oh my god... I got the recipe randomly as I got off my ship and I thought it was another craftable stone, and I spent five good minutes looking for it in the inventory... I was going crazy

Hale-XF11

Just started playing this game for the first time ever last night. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm slowly figuring things out through experimentation.

MaKTaiL

Just started playing this game for the first time ever last night. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm slowly figuring things out through experimentation.
That's the beauty of the game. Make sure you read every instruction you can. You can check the Guide Tab (it pauses the game) for any information you might need.

You can get the location of an Atlas station closer to where you are if you talk to Nada. So don't need to worry about doing the Traveler quest first.

PS.: You need to have met Nada on the Atlas quest first before you can forget about it.

webrunner

That's the beauty of the game. Make sure you read every instruction you can. You can check the Guide Tab (it pauses the game) for any information you might need.

You can get the location of an Atlas station closer to where you are if you talk to Nada. So don't need to worry about doing the Traveler quest first.

PS.: You need to have met Nada on the Atlas quest first before you can forget about it.

So if I talk to nada get a atlas station in my path then lose that teleport point find nada again ill get pointed to another nearby atlas station?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm... Artemis path end...
is there any benefit to resetting the galaxy? I don't feel like I'm ready to start over, so I guess I'll just leave...

Guppeth

Hmm... Artemis path end...
is there any benefit to resetting the galaxy? I don't feel like I'm ready to start over, so I guess I'll just leave...
Doesn't seem worth it if you're not ready. I did just to see what happened, then reloaded the save and chose the less destructive option.

Sarcasm

Okay I got a quest to craft a
Mind Arc
which seems to need to have a base running (science specifically).

1) Does it matter what race you choose for the types of stuff? (Like Farming, Science etc)

2) Any way to see what kind of system it is before jumping?

3) Any way to tell what faction is in that system? I like to settle down in one where I am rank 19.

4) Do I need haz suit? If so how do I get one? I need to gather cacti and fungal.

MaKTaiL

Come to 121212121212 (1st and 2nd glyph) My base is 10 mins south of the portal so you may want to use an exocraft to make the trip. Not enough messages on that planet to crash you I wouldn't think.
Ok, I just visited your base, thank you very much! Your planet has LOTS of death holes in it though. I fell into some of them with my vehicle and it was pretty hard to get out, hahahaha.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wish I knew how to get Nada/Polo to come back... I finished the Artemis plot (
without resetting the galaxy
). The portal left me 40% further from the previously marked Atlas Station than to the center of the galaxy, hah. I made 10 jumps towards the center and never saw the Space Anomaly. IIRC, it would usually show up every few jumps in version 1.0.

I guess I can just go back and head towards the Atlas Station from my base system if I can't get pointed to a closer one.

Okay I got a quest to craft a
Mind Arc
which seems to need to have a base running (science specifically).

1) Does it matter what race you choose for the types of stuff? (Like Farming, Science etc)

2) Any way to see what kind of system it is before jumping?

3) Any way to tell what faction is in that system? I like to settle down in one where I am rank 19.

4) Do I need haz suit? If so how do I get one? I need to gather cacti and fungal.
1) I don't think so.

2) There are some ship scanners available that show you conflict/economy details in the galaxy view.

3) I believe this is always shown, right?

4) You talking about the Haz-Mat Gauntlets? Yes, you'll need that to gather the materials needed to build the products that are in the
Mind Arc
formula. Those are granted to you in the first mission for the Armourer after he's recruited to your base.

Sarcasm

). The portal left me 40% further from the previously marked Atlas Station than to the center of the galaxy, hah. I made 10 jumps towards the center and never saw the Space Anomaly. IIRC, it would usually show up every few jumps in version 1.0.

I guess I can just go back and head towards the Atlas Station from my base system if I can't get pointed to a closer one.

1) I don't think so.

2) There are some ship scanners available that show you conflict/economy details in the galaxy view.

4) You talking about the Haz-Mat Gauntlets? Yes, you'll need that to gather the materials needed to build the products that are in the
Mind Arc
formula. Those are granted to you in the first mission for the Armourer after he's recruited to your base.

I never noticed it on the galaxy map as I am busy fighting that stupid thing when I want to warp.

MaKTaiL

1) I don't think so.

Mind Arc
Nada and Polo mentioned they only show up on calm (no conflict) systems. If you happen to keep jumping to dangerous zones they will never popup again.

Sarcasm

Found a poisonous planet with fungal mold!..shame no desert planet though. So making my base here. Build it up and then warp to find some cacti flesh.

Unicorn

Found a poisonous planet with fungal mold!..shame no desert planet though. So making my base here. Build it up and then warp to find some cacti flesh.
Before you warp you can see how many planets are in a system. 5 and 6 planet systems seem to always be varied in biomes.

Additionally hitting up and down on dpad will let you see what faction controls a star. Blue are korvax, green gek, and I think red (or yellow) is vykeen?

Sarcasm

Before you warp you can see how many planets are in a system. 5 and 6 planet systems seem to always be varied in biomes.

Additionally hitting up and down on dpad will let you see what faction controls a star. Blue are korvax, green gek, and I think red (or yellow) is vykeen?

So when looking for desert planet you say, make sure it has 6 planets?

I need to build up my base on this poisonous one a bit first so I can get those gloves...

Aenima

Great. I moved my base cuz the old planet was ruined with the update and now my quest is telling me to go back to... who knows where to continue.

Ah I thought u was asking about the quests u get from the NPC in the space station, those are the only quests with an option to cancel it. The base quests cant be canceled and i think u should do them all before moving on. I tought they had fixed that by now.

But Its not too hard to go back, just follow the line the quest marker is pointing. Just depends how far u moved away from ur old planet.

Question about glyphs: is there a way to find glyphs other than coughing up 100 nanites and asking directions to a
traveler
?

I haven't encountered a T yet but stumpled randomly over a gravestone during exploring. They show up as the symbol of relics that give you new words.

They are not in caves but holes in the ground.

On youtube there's a video showing that you can grind the first 15 glyphs just talking to the same T again. No nanites needed.

But might be patched out as for me even leaving the galaxy doesn't reset the gravestone...
Though maybe it's really the talking part.

Top Bottom